[CM7] Help track down Sleep of Death (NEW Second form, Apps and Widgets!)

Search This thread

tightwad

Sep 20, 2011
I had my first SOD experience. Up until today I hadn't had a single Deep Sleep mode...so the battery ran down fast. I am using 7.1 stable. I don't have a ton of apps or widgets.

I am trying to determine which app or setting change allowed it to Deep Sleep. It did the SOD after I allowed it to go to sleep while in the mail app.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I am using 7.1 stable.

I don't think there is a 7.1 stable. The only 7.1s that are available are the 7.1 RC1 (release candidate 1) and the nightlies. None of those are stable. And all of those suffer from SOD. Are you saying you have been running a 7.1 version and you have never been in deep sleep? How do you know? Have you been checking with CPUSpy? Deep sleep per se is not bad, in fact it is good. It saves on battery. It is mainly when you have wifi activated while the screen is off that there is a problem. It seems that deep sleep and having wifi on while trying to sleep is when SOD happens and you can't wake it up.

Last edited:

tightwad

Sep 20, 2011
I don't think there is a 7.1 stable. The only 7.1s that are available are the 7.1 RC1 (release candidate 1) and the nightlies. None of those are stable. And all of those suffer from SOD. Are you saying you have been running a 7.1 version and you have never been in deep sleep? How do you know? Have you been checking with CPUSpy? Deep sleep per se is not bad, in fact it is good. It saves on battery. It is mainly when you have wifi activated while the screen is off that there is a problem. It seems that deep sleep and having wifi on while trying to sleep is when SOD happens and you can't wake it up.

You're right, I did mean RC1. I actually wanted it to Deep Sleep, to save the battery. CPUSpy is the tool I have been using to monitor it.

I haven't made any adjustments to the wifi on/off settings.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
You're right, I did mean RC1. I actually wanted it to Deep Sleep, to save the battery. CPUSpy is the tool I have been using to monitor it.

I haven't made any adjustments to the wifi on/off settings.

The only thing I can think of that may have been preventing your 7.1RC1 from deep sleeping before was an installed app that was putting a wake lock on your system. Some apps do that if they need your device awake all the time. To keep the wake lock on, the app needed to run a service constantly in the background. You may have uninstalled/disabled that app or updated it to a newer version that did not have the wake lock. That would then allow your NC to deep sleep and could eventually lead to SOD if you had wifi set to stay on with screen off.

Not sure this helps you, but it's the only thing I could think of.

arachne

Jan 12, 2011
The only 7.1s that are available are the 7.1 RC1 (release candidate 1) and the nightlies. None of those are stable. And all of those suffer from SOD.
Well, 7.1 stable has been out for several weeks now, and I am sad to say that these problems still seem to remain in the stable version. I am running CM7.1 from an SD card and I have only run this stable version, never nightlies. My wifi is set to always be on. I am running a fraction of the number of apps you are, partly because my installation is so new! I still get heaps of SODs daily. My solution is to shut down the Nook Color whenever I'm done and reboot it when needed. Sigh.

I'm surprised nobody has commented since before 7.1 stable was released. I'm not a dev, and I wouldn't know where to look for logs etc, but I'd be happy to contribute information if someone can tell me what would be most useful for them to know.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Well, 7.1 stable has been out for several weeks now, and I am sad to say that these problems still seem to remain in the stable version. I am running CM7.1 from an SD card and I have only run this stable version, never nightlies. My wifi is set to always be on. I am running a fraction of the number of apps you are, partly because my installation is so new! I still get heaps of SODs daily. My solution is to shut down the Nook Color whenever I'm done and reboot it when needed. Sigh.

I'm surprised nobody has commented since before 7.1 stable was released. I'm not a dev, and I wouldn't know where to look for logs etc, but I'd be happy to contribute information if someone can tell me what would be most useful for them to know.
Turning the NC off is easier than just turning off wifi? Do it manually, or let something like Setting Profiles Lite do it for you automatically... Another option is enabling a wakelock all of the time, with a penalty of standby time being greatly reduced.

It's not as if the problem has been ignored, I'm sure the devs have spent countless hours trying to reproduce and understand the issue. There are three workarounds, use one. Or keep turning it off....

GTT1

Apr 16, 2011
I recently posted a thread on this problem.

I can make it occur on a regular basis. With my Nook it occurs whenever I turn it off by pressing the power button. After being off for several minutes it will not wake with a press of the N or power button and I have to long press to turn off the NOOK then long press to reboot.

This problem started about a month ago when I was using CM 7.1 RC on SD which had been installed since it first came out. I hadn't updated anything or installed any new apps for months. The only changes that occurred to my NC were the change to different market app that occurred automatically and auto updates of ROM Manager.

My work around is to simply let it go to sleep itself, I have set it for 2 minutes inactivity. It also doesn't occur when I plug it in to recharge and turn of the screen with the power button.

Not sure if this can help anyone solve this SOD problem and I also don't know if it is what others are calling SOD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, per Dalingrin's posts in the CM7 Dev or General thread, he's been unable to reproduce Sleep of Death. A lot of folks have seen it but it's hard to pin down a pattern in forum posts, so I created a google spreadsheet form to track builds and configuration people are using.

Dal has looked over the form and gives his thumbs up, so let's fill it out! The idea here is to fill out for EVERY SOD you have, filling out the latest information. If you remember the details, feel free to fill out recent SOD info.

If anyone sees anything I should update/modify or add, let me know. Also, if anyone wants an Excel file from either or both forms for analysis, please let me know and I'll send it. One thing to note here is it's impossible to see folks who are saying No on the Results form vs their answers, so the raw data could be useful.

Anywho, link is here, please fill it out guys! This form is to query you on what build you're using and how you have some things set up. Please fill it out every time you have SOD, and folks who do NOT have SOD are also encouraged to fill it out!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...ormkey=dFZrS0tOdTVwZ0pnaWpqSTQwaDFmcmc6MQ&ifq

And here's a summary page of the responses so far:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dFZrS0tOdTVwZ0pnaWpqSTQwaDFmcmc6MQ

New Form!

And there's also a second form to track some answers to Widgets and Apps that sync/run all the time below. I did set the answers as No/Yes so you should just be able to click the ones you have installed/use and the rest you can just skip over and it'll default to No. Probably only fill out this second form once, as this is just to query the apps/widgets folks are running.

I am looking for feedback on additional apps, but since I have SOD on this set of "stuff" I figure it's good enough to start with. Honestly my confidence that this will be what figures out SOD is fairly low, but it should just take a few minutes, unless you're really aligned with me and have a bunch of the same stuff ;)

Like the previous form, folks who have and have not experienced SOD are encouraged to submit their data.

Appreciate it guys, hopefully it continues to help out the CM7 gang understand why we're seeing SOD.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...US&formkey=dHRMVklTSTgzT1htRkZRYWFfTmQ5WHc6MQ

And here's the direct link to the results so far..

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewanalytics?formkey=dHRMVklTSTgzT1htRkZRYWFfTmQ5WHc6MQ
    so, I just want to make sure that re-flashing to original B&N rom 1.1 or 1.2 and then flash back to a cm7 nightly has worked for you in fixing your SOD and NDS issues. I have read this before but is a little reluctant to try because of all the work that is needed. do you think a factory reset can also work? or is it the same thing. maybe I'll just need to bite the bullet and just do it.

btw: how is your nook running now? is all still well. :)

Well everything was perfect until i installed dal's new kernel today. Then i had a SOD almost immediately afterwards. Did a little experimenting based on the circulating theory that SOD is actually awake but no screen. Plugged it into my PC - the PC ding-dongs and pulls up the nook's drive (suggesting that the nook is awake). I then held power on the nook for a hard shut down, the PC dong-dings as the nook disconnects. Then a regular startup rebooted. no problems since.

Honestly, it was misery for me before (i.e. SOD every time i turned my back on the damn thing), and well worth the effort. Once you have everything downloaded the whole process takes about 10-15 minutes of flashing (not least cos you can do it in one session) and then 5-10 minutes of restoring everything with TB. After that the only minor pain is resetting any widgets you had (TB does a better job of restoring your ADW desktop than ADW does... with TB restoring ADW with data gets everything but the widgets back).

The biggest heartache was the complications with CWM... I'm now not having any problems with it on 3.0.2.1 (i always use the manual restore though).

I had tried just a factory reset before, but that was not enough to fix the SOD. There's something constipating either /boot or /system that only seems to get cleaned out by taking it completely back to stock. If i was feeling particularly masochistic i guess i could restore old /systems or old /boots from backups i have of 96 which suffered SOD, but right now i'm happy and if it ain't broke...

I've just upgraded to 98 and flashed 06/09 over the top of that so i will keep you posted.

Hope that helps
    VERY Cool

Wouldn't the key issue be if the diffierent NC builds have different eMMC chips - they're probably not using a random assortment for the very reasons that you point out...

...did you image from one uSD to the other? If so then this is something very different from the eMMC SOD I've seen at least, where you can transfer the SOD problem (or remove it) with a CWM backup (which is an image, essentially).

Does SOD occurrence correlate with different NC builds? I was under the impression that it didn't. And you don't just see variations in performance from a random assortment of chips, you see significant variations in performance from chips from the same WAFER, much less the same manufacturing lot. It's inherent in the manufacturing process. Fabs just work around it in flash chips by making them slightly oversized, testing them heavily, and simply marking each area with flaws as a bad block. That's why every SD card has a slightly different size. And there are flaws that affect speed directly, you just have to bottleneck the wrong circuit and it will affect a few blocks, a lot of blocks, or the whole chip. Would B&N's spec to their emmc chip provider have ruled all these out? Maybe. But these specs are usually specified with a mean and standard deviation, and there's always SOMEBODY that ends up with a 3 sigma part...

All I'm saying is that there's a lot of variation in hardware, and though we can work around a lot of it in software, it's not guaranteed that any specific workaround will always work.

Anyway.

Yes, I first tried to image directly from one card to the other, but the new card was slightly smaller than the old card (both marked 8G), so that failed. So I set up the new card with verygreen's installer, installed the latest nightly to get the partitions setup, then dd'ed partitions 1, 2, and 3 from the old SD directly over 1, 2, and 3 on the new card. I think those are /boot, /system, and /data. I then mounted both partition 4s (the new one was empty) and copied the files over directly. That partition is /sdcard, and simply gets all the space that's left after the other three partitions are setup, so that's the one that was a different size. So, yes, very close to a direct image, but not exactly. The devil may be in the details, of course.

Do you have a CWM backup that consistently gives SOD? You could MAIL that to dalingrin or fattire or somebody as something reproducible. Or, to save on postage, find some site that allows huge file transfers...
    I was having numerous SOD issues per day until yesterday when I changed the CPU governor from Conservative to OnDemand. Since then I have not had one SOD.

Deep sleep is still working. Left the nook last night at 95% battery remaining, was still at 95% this morning. WiFi is set to turn off with the screen, and I have a good number of widgets running.
    hi guys,

this might seem a tad weird but i have completely eliminated SOD from my Nook Color by remapping the home (n) button to "back" instead of "home". Prior to this, I kept getting SOD every other time I try to wake up the nook after leaving it alone for more than an hour

i read somewhere in the xda forums that people who always use their power button to wake their nook up never experience SOD and that i always hated the fact that the biggest key on the nook was useless ("home" is a useless key for me).

this gave me the inspiration to re-mapped the home (n) button to correspond to the "back" key instead by editing /system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl (it's a linux text file. i used jota editor to edit it) since i cannot train myself to use the power button instead of the "n" button to wake the nook --->

EDIT: my signature lies. I'm using CM7 96N.