[Q] Can't format the system partition (Brick?)

Search This thread

numsgil

Mar 5, 2013
Hi, XDA Community!
Just as a side note, I've been flashing custom ROMs for 4 years, so I'm not a newbie anymore. I've always been with Samsung devices (because they're cool :D ), and my first one was the SGS. Now I'm on the SGS3 (d2att : Bell) for a year at least.
Now, the problem : I was using the new AOSB Project ROM and I wasn't happy with the battery life, so I wanted to switch, but now any ROM I try to flash stay stuck on "Formatting System partition" (or the logo for Resurection Remix).
My first idea was to manually format that partition, but the ROM always want to format it so I got stuck again (without any backup rom to go back to). So I used Odin to restore to a stock 4.3 (was 4.4.2), re-rooted using Unifed Android Toolkit, flashed PhilZ Touch Recovery (was with TWRP 2.7.0.0) and it was working. But I don't like TouchWiz so I tried again to flash. So I used Odin again because I was still stuck on "Formatting System Partition" and did the same mistake.
Now, my phone is sitting beside me for an hour, trying to format that partition because the stock 4.3 stuck on the Samsung logo...
I'm all out of ideas now...

As I'm not a native English speaker/writer, feel free to ask for precisions or if I forgot something!
Hope I don't have to go buy a new one!
Thanks in advance!

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hi, XDA Community!
Just as a side note, I've been flashing custom ROMs for 4 years, so I'm not a newbie anymore. I've always been with Samsung devices (because they're cool :D ), and my first one was the SGS. Now I'm on the SGS3 (d2att : Bell) for a year at least.
Now, the problem : I was using the new AOSB Project ROM and I wasn't happy with the battery life, so I wanted to switch, but now any ROM I try to flash stay stuck on "Formatting System partition" (or the logo for Resurection Remix).
My first idea was to manually format that partition, but the ROM always want to format it so I got stuck again (without any backup rom to go back to). So I used Odin to restore to a stock 4.3 (was 4.4.2), re-rooted using Unifed Android Toolkit, flashed PhilZ Touch Recovery (was with TWRP 2.7.0.0) and it was working. But I don't like TouchWiz so I tried again to flash. So I used Odin again because I was still stuck on "Formatting System Partition" and did the same mistake.
Now, my phone is sitting beside me for an hour, trying to format that partition because the stock 4.3 stuck on the Samsung logo...
I'm all out of ideas now...

As I'm not a native English speaker/writer, feel free to ask for precisions or if I forgot something!
Hope I don't have to go buy a new one!
Thanks in advance!

There are a couple of things I'm not clear about in your post - you said you Odined back to 4.3 stock. Where did you find the Odin flashable file for 4.3? Also you said you tried to get out of TW using Odin. What were you trying to flash the second time? Finally have you tried doing a hard wipe/factory reset from recovery?

numsgil

Mar 5, 2013
There are a couple of things I'm not clear about in your post - you said you Odined back to 4.3 stock. Where did you find the Odin flashable file for 4.3? Also you said you tried to get out of TW using Odin. What were you trying to flash the second time? Finally have you tried doing a hard wipe/factory reset from recovery?

I used version EMK5 from Samsung-Updates.com for D2ATT. And I was trying to flash a custom ROM, namely Resurection Remix v5.0.8 and the I tried to sideload C-Rom v6.1. What do you mean by Hard Wipe? I did the factory reset/wipe data/cache when I installed my ROMs, but if you mean manullay wipe the system partition, I did that.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I used version EMK5 from Samsung-Updates.com for D2ATT. And I was trying to flash a custom ROM, namely Resurection Remix v5.0.8 and the I tried to sideload C-Rom v6.1. What do you mean by Hard Wipe? I did the factory reset/wipe data/cache when I installed my ROMs, but if you mean manullay wipe the system partition, I did that.

I believe EMK5 for the i747m. Do you have an i747 or i747m?

Reactions: mrrocketdog

numsgil

Mar 5, 2013

i747m

Someone over at Google+ said that the problem may be that partitions that are corrupted. How do I fix it? I think that I can do that with Odin but I think I need a PIT file. Where can I find the good one for my device? Is this a good idea?

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA

I was assuming it was an i747 because the post mentioned d2-ATT which is why I was puzzled about the Odining to 4.3 part. Looking through again, I see the post mentioned Bell so I'd guess it's the i747m. The (stock) firmware file is, however, a zip which would have been better flashed via custom recovery rather than Odin. Numsgil, I meant with the phone apparently stuck in a boot loop after the flashing, can you try booting into recovery and doing a factory reset?

numsgil

Mar 5, 2013
I was assuming it was an i747 because the post mentioned d2-ATT which is why I was puzzled about the Odining to 4.3 part. Looking through again, I see the post mentioned Bell so I'd guess it's the i747m. The (stock) firmware file is, however, a zip which would have been better flashed via custom recovery rather than Odin. Numsgil, I meant with the phone apparently stuck in a boot loop after the flashing, can you try booting into recovery and doing a factory reset?

Did it, but was still boot-looping. Today, I needed my phone so I Odin-flashed again and now it is useable but I'm sure the problem will persist.

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Did it, but was still boot-looping. Today, I needed my phone so I Odin-flashed again and now it is useable but I'm sure the problem will persist.

If you flash a complete stock image via (custom) recovery it shouldn't recur as this will update all partitions to as near factory settings as possible. Even if any of the partitions is corrupt, a total restore should fix that.

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA

You can download a fresh stock image from sammobile.com or the same source you used earlier OR a rooted version courtesy of XDA Developer Mr. Robinson via the following link ... http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319199494

Once you have this, save the zip file to an external SD card. Flash custom recovery to your phone. You mentioned you had philz-touch? Or you could flash TWRP or CWM via Odin. Place the SD card in your phone. Boot into recovery mode and flash from the card. Wait for firmware installation to be complete. Clear your cache/dalvik and reboot to system. Hope this works.

numsgil

Mar 5, 2013
You can download a fresh stock image from sammobile.com or the same source you used earlier OR a rooted version courtesy of XDA Developer Mr. Robinson via the following link ... http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319199494

Once you have this, save the zip file to an external SD card. Flash custom recovery to your phone. You mentioned you had philz-touch? Or you could flash TWRP or CWM via Odin. Place the SD card in your phone. Boot into recovery mode and flash from the card. Wait for firmware installation to be complete. Clear your cache/dalvik and reboot to system. Hope this works.

The link you posted is actually an Odin flashable image file, so I started another Odin-flash. But now it is unable to do anything too!!! The log in v3.09 is :
Code:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> root66_BMC_I747MVLUEMK5.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
And it is stuck there, for like half an hour now... I'm completely confused now, what do I do? Go buy a new one? I hope not (no money right now)...

EDIT :
- Tried my stuck image : stuck on Initialzation again
- Tried root66 with Heimdall : can't establish connection (might be me that did something wrong with zadig)
- Found a PIT file for the SGH-i747M 16GB and tried both with Re-partition enabled : stuck on Initialzation again
- Found a post on another forum about a dude that got the same problem as me and got the answer that the internal SD is dead......Damned...

Am I still crazy or this phone wants me dead?

Last edited:

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
The link you posted is actually an Odin flashable image file, so I started another Odin-flash. But now it is unable to do anything too!!! The log in v3.09 is :
Code:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> root66_BMC_I747MVLUEMK5.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Leave CS..
And it is stuck there, for like half an hour now... I'm completely confused now, what do I do? Go buy a new one? I hope not (no money right now)...

EDIT :
- Tried my stuck image : stuck on Initialzation again
- Tried root66 with Heimdall : can't establish connection (might be me that did something wrong with zadig)
- Found a PIT file for the SGH-i747M 16GB and tried both with Re-partition enabled : stuck on Initialzation again
- Found a post on another forum about a dude that got the same problem as me and got the answer that the internal SD is dead......Damned...

Am I still crazy or this phone wants me dead?

My apologies! Sorry. Didn't check the file myself but I just assumed it was a zip for recovery. From your log, the MD5 seems valid so it isn't likely to be from the file. If Odin couldn't flash it (and Heimdall didn't work either), could indeed be a problem elsewhere. Believe me, however, your phone is far from being dead or bricked when you can get into download or recovery modes. I'll do some more research and we'll have it figured out.
Can you also try flashing Philz Touch recovery to your phone via Odin from the link below earlier advised by Audit13 and see if you can use it to flash a custom ROM.

http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_A..._Edition/d2lte

numsgil

Mar 5, 2013
My apologies! Sorry. Didn't check the file myself but I just assumed it was a zip for recovery. From your log, the MD5 seems valid so it isn't likely to be from the file. If Odin couldn't flash it (and Heimdall didn't work either), could indeed be a problem elsewhere. Believe me, however, your phone is far from being dead or bricked when you can get into download or recovery modes. I'll do some more research and we'll have it figured out.
Can you also try flashing Philz Touch recovery to your phone via Odin from the link below earlier advised by Audit13 and see if you can use it to flash a custom ROM.

http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_A..._Edition/d2lte

This gives me hope! As I'm not at home right now, did some tests on my Ubuntu Laptop using Heimdall (works better on linux I think) but can't initialize the protocol. In verbose output, it said :

Code:
Heimdall v1.4.0

Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
      Manufacturer: "Sasmsung"
           Product: "MSM8960"

length: 18
      device class: 2
               S/N: 0
           VID:PID: 04E8:685D
         bcdDevice: 0100
   iMan:iProd:iSer: 1:2:0
          nb confs: 1

interface[0].altsetting[0]: num endpoints = 1
   Class.SubClass.Protocol: 02.02.01
       endpoint[0].address: 82
           max packet size: 0010
          polling interval: 09

interface[1].altsetting[0]: num endpoints = 2
   Class.SubClass.Protocol: 0A.00.00
       endpoint[0].address: 81
           max packet size: 0200
          polling interval: 00
       endpoint[1].address: 01
Claiming interface...
Attempt failed. Detaching driver...
Claiming interface again...
Setting up interface...

Initialising protocol...
WARNING: Control transfer #1 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #2 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #3 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #4 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #5 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #6 failed. Result: -9
ERROR: Failed to send data: "ODIN"
Releasing device interface...
Re-attaching kernel driver...

And exited, so again not working. And by the way, the link you sent isn't working. Is it this? Which version do you recommend? I used 6.26.6 before and it didn't work.

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
This gives me hope! As I'm not at home right now, did some tests on my Ubuntu Laptop using Heimdall (works better on linux I think) but can't initialize the protocol. In verbose output, it said :

Code:
Heimdall v1.4.0

Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
      Manufacturer: "Sasmsung"
           Product: "MSM8960"

length: 18
      device class: 2
               S/N: 0
           VID:PID: 04E8:685D
         bcdDevice: 0100
   iMan:iProd:iSer: 1:2:0
          nb confs: 1

interface[0].altsetting[0]: num endpoints = 1
   Class.SubClass.Protocol: 02.02.01
       endpoint[0].address: 82
           max packet size: 0010
          polling interval: 09

interface[1].altsetting[0]: num endpoints = 2
   Class.SubClass.Protocol: 0A.00.00
       endpoint[0].address: 81
       endpoint[1].address: 01
Claiming interface...
Attempt failed. Detaching driver...
Claiming interface again...
Setting up interface...

Initialising protocol...
WARNING: Control transfer #1 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #2 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #3 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #4 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #5 failed. Result: -9
WARNING: Control transfer #6 failed. Result: -9
ERROR: Failed to send data: "ODIN"
Releasing device interface...
Re-attaching kernel driver...

And exited, so again not working. And by the way, the link you sent isn't working. Is it this? Which version do you recommend? I used 6.26.6 before and it didn't work.

Yes, you have the correct link. Suggest you try an older version like the 6.25.0.

numsgil

Mar 5, 2013
Yes, you have the correct link. Suggest you try an older version like the 6.25.0.

Nope...still stuck with the same error at home :

Code:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> philz_touch_6.25.0-d2lte.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Leave CS..

What to do now?

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Nope...still stuck with the same error at home :

Code:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> philz_touch_6.25.0-d2lte.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Leave CS..

What to do now?

Did some checking. It could indeed be your internal SD card. It could, however, be a simpler problem like the data cable or firewall settings on your computer. Either way, the phone and computer are not communicating correctly. Check the USB cable you are using and make sure it's of very good quality. If using Odin, temporarily disable the anti-virus settings and firewall on your PC (make sure you reinstate them afterwards). Finally, if you find a recovery flashable zip and get into recovery mode, do an advanced wipe and format to remove all existing system prior to flashing new firmware.

numsgil

Mar 5, 2013
Did some checking. It could indeed be your internal SD card. It could, however, be a simpler problem like the data cable or firewall settings on your computer. Either way, the phone and computer are not communicating correctly. Check the USB cable you are using and make sure it's of very good quality. If using Odin, temporarily disable the anti-virus settings and firewall on your PC (make sure you reinstate them afterwards). Finally, if you find a recovery flashable zip and get into recovery mode, do an advanced wipe and format to remove all existing system prior to flashing new firmware.

I have no antivirus and the windows firewall is completely disabled (it caused problems when hosting some games). I tried 3 different cables and 4 different USB ports on 2 different computers (without AV and firewall). I tried 4 different recovery softwares : Philz, CWM, CWM Touch and TWRP, and they all can't format the System partition. So I think I'm all out of options here...Anyway, If by any chance you find another thing to try, I will conclude that my phone's dead.
Thank you very much for your help!

Dec 16, 2014
Saint John
I have no antivirus and the windows firewall is completely disabled (it caused problems when hosting some games). I tried 3 different cables and 4 different USB ports on 2 different computers (without AV and firewall). I tried 4 different recovery softwares : Philz, CWM, CWM Touch and TWRP, and they all can't format the System partition. So I think I'm all out of options here...Anyway, If by any chance you find another thing to try, I will conclude that my phone's dead.
Thank you very much for your help!

I have similar problem today still trying fix but most can do use customs cause some reason stock i747m koodo will not reflash it runs through updates all complets but when boot up it telus I747MVLUFNK2_I747MOYBFNK2_KDO.zip I747MVLUFNK2_I747MOYBFNK2_I747MVLUFNK2_HOME.tar.md5
but think its the partition doing`it damaged i need the official format.pit file for the i747m valid version for oden sence my boot still locked never been unlocked 4.4.2 on now latest from sam update site but seems one the custom recovery philz_touch_6.26.6-d2lte.tar.md5 was the cause the partion screwing up so never use it again less they add fix for it recovery-cwmtouch-6.0.4.7-d2att.tar best one works for me any one find a good i747m pit yet need one bad for oden

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What steps did you take to try and flash your Telus i747m ?

Let me know and I will try to help.