Who actually likes their nexus 10

Search This thread

stonebear

Sep 26, 2011
Had it since release date. Never put it down.. Favorite tablet at the moment .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Me too. :)

Love it.

My only complaint is how hot it gets in games and thus the thermal throttling, I bought a tablet with a 1.7Ghz processor not a 1.2Ghz! lol

However it still plays the games fine even when it does throttle.

oliverpuczyk2

Apr 4, 2012
gig harbor
The whole reason I got it was because I wanted to play StarCraft on the go, get great battery life and have many different Roms to try. It goes above and beyond everything I ask it to, doesn't hurt that it was also free for me

BamAlmighty

Feb 16, 2008
I can't be the only one that only gets 5.5 to 6 hours of battery life out of this thing and that is only from Web browsing.

CRimsonEagle

Feb 26, 2013
Yes and no

I love it, its fast and easy to use.

But...

I have a creeking back and lightbleed, I dont mind the lightbleed but the creeking back is freakin annoying...

I returned but the one given back to me was even worse. Shame on Google.

Overall I like it if you can get over the above features.

iamikon

May 17, 2012
I only get 3 hours while watching Netflix at max brightness. Battery life is awful. My note 2 gets over six.

We have double the pixels to push around so that makes sense. On a side note why full brightness? The screen is really bright indoors even at min brightness.

XDA HD - Nexus 10 - my Unicorn has KTPUB wings....

permutations

May 27, 2008
New York City
I only get 3 hours while watching Netflix at max brightness. Battery life is awful. My note 2 gets over six.

I'm sure that is a battery drain, but full brightness is so bright it hurts my eyes. Why do you use full brightness?

I haven't measured exactly how long my battery lasts, but it's way over 3 hours. I use the N10 periodically throughout the day and more heavily in the evening. When I go to charge it before bed, there is still juice left in the battery.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

My only complaint is how hot it gets in games and thus the thermal throttling, I bought a tablet with a 1.7Ghz processor not a 1.2Ghz! lol

What software are you using that tells you when thermal throttling is occurring? How do you know the temperature of the CPU and the actual speed in GHz?

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
I'm sure that is a battery drain, but full brightness is so bright it hurts my eyes. Why do you use full brightness?

I haven't measured exactly how long my battery lasts, but it's way over 3 hours. I use the N10 periodically throughout the day and more heavily in the evening. When I go to charge it before bed, there is still juice left in the battery.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

What software are you using that tells you when thermal throttling is occurring? How do you know the temperature of the CPU and the actual speed in GHz?

Watching dark movies in between classes in bright light requires max brightness and even then its not quite bright enough for a clear picture. The only time max brightness hurts my eyes is darkness where I never use it.

permutations

May 27, 2008
New York City
I have a creeking back and lightbleed, I dont mind the lightbleed but the creeking back is freakin annoying...

I returned but the one given back to me was even worse. Shame on Google.

Overall I like it if you can get over the above features.

Weird. I've seen many comments like this (light bleed, anyway, and some other problems - never heard "creaking back" before). It seems there have been some bad batches because I have none of the hardware problems that have been reported. My Nexus 10 has zero light bleed, nothing creaks, and the WiFi is solid (another thing I've read many complaints about).

Where did you get yours? Maybe there's a distribution pattern. I bought mine at a Walmart in Northampton, MA (US) on February 10th.

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
We have double the pixels to push around so that makes sense. On a side note why full brightness? The screen is really bright indoors even at min brightness.

XDA HD - Nexus 10 - my Unicorn has KTPUB wings....

My iPad at max brightness lasted over 8 doing the same tasks. And as I said in my previous message. Dark movies between classes in brightly lit hallways.

permutations

May 27, 2008
New York City
Watching dark movies in between classes in bright light requires max brightness and even then its not quite bright enough for a clear picture. The only time max brightness hurts my eyes is darkness where I never use it.

Are you talking about outside? The only LCD I've ever been able to see clearly outside was the TF700T in IPS+ mode. That was quite amazing. It's a super-bright mode that I was even able to see clearly in full sun on Christopher Street Pier (in the middle of the water). That is the one and only thing I miss about the TF700T, which I returned for a variety of excellent reasons. The TF700T also had an option for a dock which contained a second battery under the keyboard to power this super-bright mode.

In general, I tend to use tablets indoors - they sit next to the couch. I look stuff up when I'm watching TV. Or maybe I want to check email without getting up. I also like them for reading books. It's a little too heavy for me to want to carry around. I have a great phone - that's enough "computer" for me to carry around. If I were between classes, I'd be more likely to read a book (which I can do on my phone) than watch a movie outside.

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
Are you talking about outside? The only LCD I've ever been able to see clearly outside was the TF700T in IPS+ mode. That was quite amazing. It's a super-bright mode that I was even able to see clearly in full sun on Christopher Street Pier (in the middle of the water). That is the one and only thing I miss about the TF700T, which I returned for a variety of excellent reasons. The TF700T also had an option for a dock which contained a second battery under the keyboard to power this super-bright mode.

In general, I tend to use tablets indoors - they sit next to the couch. I look stuff up when I'm watching TV. Or maybe I want to check email without getting up. I also like them for reading books. It's a little too heavy for me to want to carry around. I have a great phone - that's enough "computer" for me to carry around. If I were between classes, I'd be more likely to read a book (which I can do on my phone) than watch a movie outside.

The ipad was perfectly viewable outside but I'm not even talking about outside. The glare is awful in a brightly lit halway between classes.

permutations

May 27, 2008
New York City
The ipad was perfectly viewable outside but I'm not even talking about outside. The glare is awful in a brightly lit halway between classes.

I have an iPad and I've used it outside (though I rarely use it at all anymore). The TF700T outside in IPS+ mode is vastly better. It's hard to describe how much better. I'm talking full sunlight on a pier, out in the water where it can't get any brighter. It was so bright out I needed dark sunglasses. And yet the TF700T screen was easily and clearly visible, with colors as fully saturated as if I were indoors. It was amazing.

As for glare... That's easily fixed with an anti-glare screen protector. I don't use my N10 outside so I don't bother (gorilla glass doesn't scratch very easily), but I have one on my iPad. I can't remember the name of the company that makes the really good ones.

Reactions: NickTheMajin

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
I have an iPad and I've used it outside (though I rarely use it at all anymore). The TF700T outside in IPS+ mode i. vastly better. It's hard to describe how much better. I'm talking full sunlight on a pier, out in the water where it can't get any brighter. It was so bright out I needed dark sunglasses. And yet the TF700T screen was easily and clearly visible, with colors as fully saturated as if I were indoors. It was amazing.

As for glare... That's easily fixed with an anti-glare screen protector. I don't use my N10 outside so I don't bother (gorilla glass doesn't scratch ve. easily), but I have one on my iPad. I can't remember the name of the company that makes the really d ones.

I do thank you for the suggestions but I wouldn't put an anti glare screen protector on my nexus 10. I dislike the grainy look it gives devices. The iPad was pretty sufficient for me outside. I wouldn't go for the Asus tablet because of the issues it had. The ipad was a good package and I really shouldnt have switched yet. I think one more year would have given me a better impression of android on tablets but now I've got the sour taste in my mouth from the reboots and battery life. I love my Note 2 but I may go back to the ipad when the next one comes out or if some sweet looking windows tablet comes out or go to a Note 10.1 tablet if Samsung releases one with a great display. No more nexuses for me for awhile.

permutations

May 27, 2008
New York City
I do thank you for the suggestions but I wouldn't put an anti glare screen protector on my nexus 10. I dislike the grainy look it gives devices. The iPad was pretty sufficient for me outside. I wouldn't go for the Asus tablet because of the issues it had. The ipad was a good package and I really shouldnt have switched yet. I think one more year would have given me a better impression of android on tablets but now I've got the sour taste in my mouth from the reboots and battery life. I love my Note 2 but I may go back to the ipad when the next one comes out or if some sweet looking windows tablet comes out or go to a Note 10.1 tablet if Samsung releases one with a great display. No more nexuses for me for awhile.

I agree with you about the issues with Asus hardware. It was a nightmare. The only thing about the TF700T I miss was the IPS+ mode. That's why I returned it and got the Nexus 10 instead.

I got the TF700T because I was disgusted with my iPad. :) I've had it with Apple (don't get me started). Doesn't iOS seem horribly lacking after using Android? Which iPad do you have?

I thought about the Windows tablet. I have a friend who does work for Microsoft (freelance - he writes articles and books, and gives talks) and he got one before they were on the market, so I got to play with one very early. It's nice and I thought about getting one, but I think it's going to lose in the marketplace, and I didn't want to go with a loser. There aren't many apps for it, and it doesn't help that Windows Phone is bombing. My phone is Android, and if I get an Android tablet, all the apps I bought for my phone can go right onto my tablet - saves $$, and with Google backup it makes setup very easy.

And also, I love my Nexus 10! I don't have the problems with it that you have. The battery life on mine is really good. I don't use it at full brightness (that would hurt my eyes). Maybe mine is brighter than yours. I can't imagine having to turn it all the way up to see a movie, even in a bright room. I've never been bothered by glare, particularly. I have no light bleed. It's very stable, especially since the 4.2.2 update. The WiFi is rock solid. I don't have any of the problems I've heard people complain about. I have it loaded to the gills, and it works really well. I'm very happy with it.

Plus I like that the stock OS on Nexus tablets is pure Android without modification. I thought about the Note 2 because of the pressure sensitivity, but Samsung heavily modifies Android and then doesn't stay current with Android updates (and I don't like most of the Samsung enhancements). I like that Nexus tablets get the latest versions of Android first.

Reactions: kevs2000

iamikon

May 17, 2012
And also, I love my Nexus 10! I don't have the problems with it that you have. The battery life on mine is really good. I don't use it at full brightness (that would hurt my eyes). Maybe mine is brighter than yours. I can't imagine having to turn it all the way up to see a movie, even in a bright room. I've never been bothered by glare, particularly. I have no light bleed. It's very stable, especially since the 4.2.2 update. The WiFi is rock solid. I don't have any of the problems I've heard people complain about. I have it loaded to the gills, and it works really well. I'm very happy with it.

+1

XDA HD - Nexus 10 - my Unicorn has KTPUB wings...

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
I agree with you about the issues with Asus hardware. It was a nightmare. The only thing about the TF700T I miss was the IPS+ mode. That's why I returned it and got the Nexus 10 instead.

I got the TF700T because I was disgusted with my iPad. :) I've had it with Apple (don't get me started). Doesn't iOS seem horribly lacking after using Android? Which iPad do you have?

I thought about the Windows tablet. I have a friend who does work for Microsoft (freelance - he writes articles and books, and gives talks) and he got one before they were on the market, so I got to play with one very early. It's nice and I thought about getting one, but I think it's going to lose in the marketplace, and I didn't want to go with a loser. There aren't many apps for it, and it doesn't help that Windows Phone is bombing. My phone is Android, and if I get an Android tablet, all the apps I bought for my phone can go right onto my tablet - saves $$, and with Google backup it makes setup very easy.

Plus I like that the stock OS on Nexus tablets is pure Android without modification. I thought about the Note 2 because of the pressure sensitivity, but Samsung heavily modifies Android and then doesn't stay current with Android updates (and I don't like most of the Samsung enhancements). I like that Nexus tablets get the latest versions of Android first.

I had the third iPad and yeah iOS is lacking compared to Android. The OS is boring and nowhere near as functional. But for what I use my tablet for (Netflix, web browsing, reading) the iPad was just fine and functioned better than my nexus 10 does because of the battery life and brighter screen (And lack of rebooting was a pretty large plus ;)). Its not that I'm unhappy with my nexus 10, I just had a better experience with the iPad.

I'm not going to sell it or anything for awhile though. At least till a more finished Ubuntu is released (Months away).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have to admit I"m only on day 2 of ownership so that may skew some things, but I absolutely adore mine. Its fast, the screen is amazing, and the build quality is quite good. Its easily the best tablet I've ever owned in every single category except battery life, and even there its not bad at all.

Do I have light bleed? Yes. However, I've gone through absolute hell with warranty repairs trying to get my previous HP Touchpad's light bleed fixed which eventually resulted in them cracking the screen and my successfully suing them in small claims court (For the crack which they claimed was my fault and warranty voiding, not the light bleed). Following that, I went through four Transformer Infinities, of which three had light bleed. Its just a defect common in IPS/PLS displays, through the three tablets I've owned (all of different manufactures) I've learned its completely unrealistic to expect a perfect one. If its not an absolutely horrible amount, live with it. If you cant, get an iPad or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

Do I have the creaking back plastic? Yes. Every tablet made of plastic is going to have some problems. The speakers on the touchpad are notorious for cracking spontaneously. The Note 10.1 is so thin you can actually see it flex. With devices this big made of plastic, its unrealistic to not expect some sort of cheap feel. The Nexus 10 has it pretty good compared to some of the other tablets, so live with it if you can. If you cant, get a metal tablet or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

Do I have the thermal throttling? I dont know yet. But realize you're running a 1.7Ghz processor in something slightly thicker than a ball point pen. Look in ANY desktop or laptop computer of equivalent speed (yes, I know x86 and ARM are not directly comparable, but go with it for this) and you'll find a massive heatsink and fan. The Nexus 10 does not have a fan because nobody would buy a tablet with such, and the heatsink is quite thin to keep the dimensions down. You still have one of the fastest tablets on the market. Think of the 1.7Ghz not as a top sustainable speed, but like the "Turboboost" mode on modern Intel i3/5/7 CPUs where it'll ramp up to that speed to complete a task as quickly as possible and then dial back to something more easily sustainable. I'll admit that Google should add something to Android where if it knows a game is running it limits its top speed to prevent this very throttling, but that's on Android and not the device itself. Throttle the CPU back yourself, live with it, or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

TL;DR: This is a good tablet computer. Like all tablet computers, or like anything really, you shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.
    Rma the wife?
    :)

Sent from my Nexus 7
    I really never understood this. What kept the iPad from being a laptop replacement that the Nexus 10 somehow fills? The custimization? The iPad performs better and has more tablet optimized apps. Its not like either truly multitask.

I honestly never believe a tablet replaces a laptop. Even when I had my iPad (which I really shouldn't have sold for this to be honest) it was just an in between device I used for class to take notes on.

I can understand what he's saying perfectly. Things I can do on my N10 I couldn't do on my ipad:

Download something from the internet.
    Assuming I got some crappy download app from the ios app store: Actually DO anything with the download once I have it.
    Plug the device in, copy some stuff onto it without using itunes and converting it to the correct format first. Maybe copy a .doc or PDF even! :eek:
    Torrents
    Emulators
    Flash on the internet
    Share a file between two applications.
    Save an email attachment.

With a little perseverance, there is very little I can't do on my N10 than I can on my laptop.

Also, Android DOES support full-on multitasking. IOS doesn't.
    Best tablet I've ever used. Screen quality is astounding, everything about it as as smooth as butter, web browsing with Ocean works like a dream, gaming on it is great, no lightbleed, and it's been stable as a rock. I literally couldn't be any happier with this tablet.
    Is there any conclusive evidence that this is the case in every Nexus 10 out there and not just in people running a custom kernel?

For the record, I can play NFS:MW for hours without a single frame drop, stock.

Running StabilityTest (ROOT optional) for a while (CPU + GPU Test) should show current CPU frequency, and then after a while, show the frequency drop in increments of 100MHz.

There "is" a way to show if the CPU is throttling or not from logcat I believe, I haven't actually noticed though.

On stock (for me anyway, and a few others have also reported this) NFS:MW will play fine, and then framerate will drop, and then go back to normal. I have no idea how to really "prove" FPS values though, other then using a 60FPS camcorder to record a race on your N10, and then judge by eye manually.