People that call root jailbreak...

Search This thread

Whiplashh

Jun 29, 2012
Honestly, I just call root "jailbreak" because most people, if they own an iPhone or not, know what a jailbreak for iPhone means (to free the phone) so I call it a jailbreak for an android. It is just easier for some people to understand. Not everyone know what root or root permissions/files are. I understand how it could be annoying but it helps others understand.

Sent From My Rooted, S-OFF'd Blackberry Curve using the iOS XDA Application for Android.

Reactions: universexda

universexda

Dec 30, 2012
Do you have the exact verbiage that clarifies that?

Reading the Library of Congress Final Rule is like stubbing your toe. Here's the official document: https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2012-26308.pdf

What I have seen regarding full price phones is this from one columnist at Cnet: "The new no-no is buying a locked phone with a hefty carrier discount and then unlocking it on your own and without the carrier's permission." http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...king-of-smartphones-becomes-illegal-saturday/

However you may be right about it being illegal to unlock even after the contract runs out. Per another columnist at Cnet: "the Library of Congress that prohibits unlocking phones without the carrier's permission -- even when a customer's contract with the carrier has expired." http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-5...on-to-unlock-cell-phones-hits-100000-trigger/

But I'd really like to see other analyses of the Library of Congress Final Rule.

One thing I understand from senior phone hackers and developers is that the Verizon GN2 (full price or contract) is already unlocked and from what I can glean from the columnists, in that case buying full price does allow you to use the phone on other carriers.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

By the way here's the link to the White House petition seeking to overturn the Library of Congress ruling: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-unlocking-cell-phones-legal/1g9KhZG7

It's the least you can do if you really want to see the rule overturned.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrynalyne

bond32

Jun 26, 2010
Franklin
I think people posting they "bricked" their phone when more than likely it just needs a cache wipe, data wipe, or *gasp* Odin to stock is worse...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

R

richii0207

For the next phone, you can "unlock" it yourself and call it whatever you want.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

exilepa

May 2, 2011
We had a co-worker that was calling his data plan the "iphone unlimited plan" that he didn't want to give up. We had to explain that unlimited wasn't iphone specific, painful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That was in replying to an earlier post.
    The only logical definition in Android to call "jailbreak" is: To unlock device, without permission of current carrier, to be used on another carrier. After all it is illegal. Which you can go to jail for it.

My point is meshing terms like this only causes confusion with both non-techy people and with users of other carriers that don't deal with locked bootloader. Terminology has to be able to be understood across the entire community, not just for users of one carrier.

How many terminology was used within this thread to discribe "jailbreak"? Can you see how that can cause confusion? I am just saying.

Summary of Devices

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889)
    Android Version: 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
    Build: JRO03C.T889UVALL4 (Rooted)
    Root Method: mrRobinson injected root stock rom
    Superuser: SuperSu Pro v1.0
    Busybox: Busybox v1.20.2

Device: Motorola DROID X
    Android Version: 2.3.3 Gingerbread
    Build: 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (Rooted)

I think your signature needs to be longer....

I don't see why it matters what you call it. Break it down and the words works.

Jail break. To remove restrictions and become free. Isn't that what we did? Removed a restricted boot loader to allow custom kernels and recovery which allows custom Roms.

Stop trying to be politically correct on this. If you're feelings are hurt over a simple word then your life must be depressing.

Kinda annoying. Ya think? Must have had an iPhone for a bit and can't quit!

I personally think that root being called root is annoying.

You don't add root to a phone, nor do you root a phone. You unlock access to the root user.
    So if I show people my new note 2, and call it an iPhone, it is alright then? I mean they are both touch screen hand held PCs. Not that I give a ****, but when I first came to xda, people really cared about it. Maybe this is where the op is coming from.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

It is a far cry to call something you buy, that SAYS NOTE II on it, an iPhone.

This is different and again, we could argue that rooting is a stupid name for it too, considering that you aren't adding root, nor are you rooting the device. You are simply gaining access to root user level privileges that were there in the first place, just locked down.

A better name would be getting admin access to your phone, but that doesn't really have a ring to it, so who the hell cares?
    Do we really need a thread on this in the Verizon Note 2 Section?