Download KitKat CM11 4.4.2 for Nook HD+ Here

Search This thread

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Thx. The PA Gapps are working great.

Hopefully the OP will get updated as it implies the 1209 Gapps it links to are ART compatible.

Quote from OP:
A couple of things to note, not all gapps packages are ART compatible, the gapps I linked from 1209 do work, I'm not sure about the ones linked on succulent's blogsite from 1208. I believe the PA zero day gapps are also ART compatible. End Quote

I make mention of the PA gapps being ART compatible in the OP, also the 1209 gapps I linked do work for me with ART runtime. Not sure why it didn't work for you. If I see other posts where the 1209 gapps are not working, I'll delete that link.

Anyway, it seems that the PA zero day gapps are the best bet for ART, as I've also used them successfully with my N7. I'll put a link to the PA gapps OP with download links in my OP.

Mike T

Reactions: FirePsych

rnb5500

Dec 23, 2013
Quote from OP:
A couple of things to note, not all gapps packages are ART compatible, the gapps I linked from 1209 do work, I'm not sure about the ones linked on succulent's blogsite from 1208. I believe the PA zero day gapps are also ART compatible. End Quote

I make mention of the PA gapps being ART compatible in the OP, also the 1209 gapps I linked do work for me with ART runtime. Not sure why it didn't work for you. If I see other posts where the 1209 gapps are not working, I'll delete that link.

Anyway, it seems that the PA zero day gapps are the best bet for ART, as I've also used them successfully with my N7. I'll put a link to the PA gapps OP with download links in my OP.

Mike T

I noticed with the 1209 Gapps, Play Store was set to auto update and began updating Google apps immediately on first boot. Then I changed the run time setting to ART and rebooted.

Is it possible ART compatible Gapps could be updated to non-ART Gapps through Play Store? Not really knowing how Dalvik/ART works, IDK if this is a possibility.

Last edited:

rhyang

May 16, 2013
SJC
Decided to tinker with ART on my SD card install. Of course the gapps linked in the blog post are incompatible with ART, so I downloaded the PA gapps, but looked at the updater-script first, and compared it to the one from the blog post for SD install.

I changed the following line :

Code:
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");

to this : (which is what succulent has in the gapps for SD install)

Code:
# run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");
# for SD card install
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk1p2", "/system");

The /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 partition is where /system is when booting from the SD card. Flashed this changed zip and it seems to work.

mcord11758

Sep 6, 2010
Well got everything installed. Have to say ART does not work well for me. Some apps I use frequently such as xbmc will not run while enabled. Nook feels far less responsive as well. Benchmarks sky rocket but I can't see using it, unless I am doing something wrong. Overall performance is on par with cm10.2, maybe a tad more lag

Sent from my Nook HD+ using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sublimee

Jul 10, 2006
IMO CM11 is really quicker than all pre-kitkat 4.X builds.

A great thing I noticed about ART is that free RAM on boot is 500MB. With Dalvik on CM11, free RAM on boot is 390MB.

Everything runs snappy and besides ART app compatibility, this is a great upgrade!

Note: I'm on the faulty emmc 16gb, no trim usage so far, lag seems to be minimal.

felacio

Apr 16, 2007
Fayetteville
www.idle-handz.com
Running into some problems with SixAxis. I can pair it fine with my HTC One but it isn't finding the controller when using the Nook with this ROM. I wasn't using a cable, just changing the BT Key and my One found it but Nook won't.

Anyone know if cable pairing is required or if the PS3 controller even works with the Nook regardless of ROM over bluetooth? I know they work over cable but haven't really seen much about BT working with it.

gotbass

May 30, 2012
Running into some problems with SixAxis. I can pair it fine with my HTC One but it isn't finding the controller when using the Nook with this ROM. I wasn't using a cable, just changing the BT Key and my One found it but Nook won't.

Anyone know if cable pairing is required or if the PS3 controller even works with the Nook regardless of ROM over bluetooth? I know they work over cable but haven't really seen much about BT working with it.

im fairly certain sixaxis will not pair to ps3 controllers on our nooks.
No one has managed to do it successfully from my extensive research including myself.

williamlaw

Mar 31, 2011
- ext sd-card can't be found in CWM, how to flash ??

- then tried to flash in TWRP, but error "E:Unable to mount '/data1'

please help

thanks

Last edited:

FirePsych

Apr 28, 2012
Roswell, GA

please help

thanks

Read the OP and Succulent's blog. Make sure you have the latest TWRP 2.6.3 or latest CWM

See my post #18 I think. You may need a reboot or two.
I get the same data error but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Reactions: webdroidmt

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ

please help

thanks

Did you read the OP? It says "If you use CWM, you can only use internal storage for all functions, installs, backup/restore etc. It is a limitation of CWM. TWRP allows both internal and ext sdcard functionality". Please take the time to read before asking simple questions that just clutter the thread. Thank you.

The "E:Unable to mount '/data1'" in TWRP nothing to worry about.

Mike T

Last edited:

williamlaw

Mar 31, 2011
Read the OP and Succulent's blog. Make sure you have the latest TWRP 2.6.3 or latest CWM

See my post #18 I think. You may need a reboot or two.
I get the same data error but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thanks, just tried to switch to ART but "GAPPS" not work..... which one support to run under ART ??
otherwise, TWRP not flashed to internal storage ?? since CWM 6045 showed.... ??

swaaye

Mar 16, 2011
Did Google really dump the AOSP browser and force their mobile Chrome variant upon us with Kitkat?

king200

Feb 13, 2012
I want to try ART. I set it to run ART in Developer Settings and reboot but after reboot, Dalvik is still being used. I am using_Gapps, pa_gapps-stock-4.4.2-20131215-signed.zip_. If that is not the proper Gapps, can someone point me to a correct one?

Reactions: laofan

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
New build is up 12/24/13 http://goo.im/devs/succulent/ovation/cyanogenmod/internal

Changelog from dev succulent
12/24 - Repo synced, fixed booting animation, device will boot into landscape mode, I recommend enabling Rotate lock screen, updated CWM recovery to include install from "/storage/sdcard1" (external SDCard) & enabled Fdisk advanced features for expanding SDCard Data1 partition. This build might require a wipe data/factory reset.

Mike T

Reactions: Tschumi and Extropy

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
I want to try ART. I set it to run ART in Developer Settings and reboot but after reboot, Dalvik is still being used. I am using_Gapps, pa_gapps-stock-4.4.2-20131215-signed.zip_. If that is not the proper Gapps, can someone point me to a correct one?

Are you using Xposed Framework? If so, that will reset it back to Dalvik

Mike T

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Time to get the Nook HD+ rolling on Kitkat! XDA forum member succulent (aka Iamafanof) has given me permission to post a link to his blog with all the necessary info that you need, plus the all important links to download his CM11 4.4.2 roms.

I had previously been running his CM 10.2 builds with sgt7 and they were great. Now, been running his CM11 builds since 12/16 and they are very functional and run extremely well.

It is highly recommended that you read over his blog to get the info you need to properly flash it. It's likely that your current recovery, be it CWM or TWRP will be unable to flash 4.4. You can try and if it fails, download the zip recoveries for either CWM 6.0.4.5.x or TWRP 2.6.3.0 on succulent's website listed below. Succulent recommends CWM but I've had great success with both of them. If you have a problem flashing the recovery zip, extract the image file from the zip and flash either through ADB or the PS app flashify from within your OS. EDIT: You do need to update your recovery to one of the above-mentioned recoveries.

Note: succulent's 4.4 builds are scripted to automatically install CWM 6.0.4.5b when installing the rom. But, the catch-22 is that you need to already have CWM 6.0.4.5.x or TWRP 2.6.3.0 to install 4.4 roms. :) EDIT 01/14/14: Currently, succulent's builds are now scripted to automatically install TWRP 2.6.3.0 instead of CWM 6.0.4.5b.

New TWRP 2.6.3.0 and CWM 6.0.4.5.x recoveries: http://goo.im/devs/succulent/ovation/recovery If you choose CWM, 6.0.4.5b is preferred as it supports both internal and ext sdcard.

Needless to say, make a nandoid backup before proceeding and if you're not comfortable doing this...DON'T!

Link to succulent's blogsite with download links: http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/cm11-0-kitkat-android-4-4-2-for-nook-hd-xx-20dec2013/

Note: There are two different builds, one for internal (eMMc) and one for sdcard, be sure to download and install the correct one. I am using the eMMc build,so I don't have any knowledge of how the sdcard build is working.

Additional link to succulent's rom builds on Goo: http://goo.im/devs/succulent/ovation/cyanogenmod/internal

On the Goo site, he also has his CM 10.2 builds that might be of interest to some of you. Note: His CM10.2 rom builds automatically install TWRP 2.6.3.0.

You must use KitKat 4.4 gapps. A gapps link is provided on succulent's blog site. Either use those gapps or the PA zero day gapps linked below. If you are going to use ART, it's recommended that you do use the PA zero day gapps for best compatibility. If you don't know what ART runtime is, google it! :)

All credit for the rom builds, as well as the new recovery images goes to succulent (aka Iamafanof). I am just spreading the news so we can all finally have KitKat on our devices.

EDIT: Just a reminder regarding the newer recoveries, CWM 6.0.4.5.x and TWRP 2.6.3.0, they are in flashable zip form on succulent's blogsite linked above. If you run into a problem flashing the zip, one of the simplest ways to get the job done is with Flashify. Just unzip the recovery zip to get the image file. Put the image file on your device and flash it with Flashify. Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.flashify

Regarding ART runtime: Since it's still "experimental", YMMV with the results you get. Google may decide ART isn't feasible and dump it going forward.

Note: Not all gapps packages are ART compatible, at this time it is probably best to use the Paranoid Android zero day gapps. Link for PA gapps: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942 Be sure to choose the current 4.4 gapps.

With ART runtime, it is generally better to initiate it on a fresh rom install and before you install all of your user apps. Btw, it's normal for it to take a long time to initialize on the first reboot. , I found that it generally takes a while to "settle in" and should become more fluid/speedier over time.

Always be sure to have a nandroid backup so you can easily go back to dalvik if ART isn't your thing.

One last thing about ART, Xposed Framework does not yet support it. It will appear to work but it does not. Matter of fact, with Xposed installed on your device, it will revert ART runtime back to Dalvik. Since I love using Xposed, this has kept me from using ART except to test it.

EDIT: Hey guys, just posting as new stuff comes up. Here's another possible alternative for those that may have a problem with either of the internal recoveries. XDA member sandsofmyst has put together a bootable TWRP 2.6.3.0 sdcard installer. If you use it, please post your results here and don't forget to give sandsofmyst a thanks click.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48549135#post48549135

Enjoy!
    Mike T
    This is in the new build.
    Built-in Screen Recorder (Hold Volume Up + Power) – Cut the Rope Gameplay
    What do you think?:cyclops:
    D
    Deleted member 2092952
    OMNI twrp 2.6.3.x sdcard five file boot attached to post.

Nook hd+ ovation

Change log of sorts for OMNI -> https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery/commits/android-4.4

OMNI has a decent amount of fixes over the original twrp 2.6.3 that is available right now. Last original version change was on Nov 3rd so all changes since then are the differences between them.

Original twrp 2.6.3.0 can be found a few posts earlier post #95.<-- See that for further install instructions and notes.

Thanks for doing this, I like to have options. I used up my 8 thanks for the day, will hit you up later tonight or tomorrow.

Mike T

No problem. I'm just having fun learning here ;) Thanks
    D
    Deleted member 2092952
    Updated twrp 2.6.3.0 sdcard five file boot attached to post.

[ see here for OMNI twrp 2.6.3 -> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48852229&postcount=102 ]

Nook hd+ ovation

Works with succulent's cm11 4.4 kitkat installs.

Unzip all five files onto sdcard. Then reboot with sdcard inserted. Wait for twrp recovery to appear.

Good for sdcard to emmc install.

I have probably not tested it in any other way.

Notes:

Kitkat install may fail at times - Just wipe, reboot, (install supersu if it asks after doing a top four advanced wipe), and try again if that happens. Not a big deal. That should work.

Built against succulents cm11 port.

Thanks to succulent, leapinlar, verygreen, webdroidmt, and whoever else for all their available work and info that I used to make this file appear.
    Also, dont forget that some std gaaps might not work well with ART, read the OP
    "A couple of things to note, not all gapps packages are ART compatible, the gapps I linked from 1209 do work, I'm not sure about the ones linked on succulent's blogsite from 1208. I believe the PA zero day gapps are also ART compatible. Link for PA gapps: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2397942 Be sure to choose the 4.4 gapps."

Thanks for quoting this. Since it appears that people have been having issues with some gapps packages and ART, I changed the OP to only show/link the PA zero day gapps as the recommended package to install.

Funny, I've used the 12/09 gapps that I originally had linked in the OP on both my N7 and Nook without a problem with ART. But, seems like others have had issues, so I'll just link the PA gapps.

I've also added direct links to both succulent's TWRP 2.6.3.0 and CWM 6.0.4.5x zip recoveries in the OP, as well as a Playstore link to Flashify for those who may need or want to flash the recovery right from their current OS.

Mike T