[TOOL/KITCHEN] - Android Builder v.5 (Dead)

Search This thread

gnarlyc

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
This project is no longer being updated. Feel free to use the code.

Android Builder (AB v.5)

kiel123 has joined the AB team!

Thanks to dsixda, Armin Coralic, and cteneyck. I do have permission to reuse their code.

Requirements:
Ubuntu Linux or variant
dsixda's HTC Android Basic Kitchen - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=633246

In my crazy quest to learn more about Android, I decided to create a companion to dsixda's kitchen that will take some of the drudgery out of downloading and compiling AOSP and the HTC kernel.

Here's what the current menus looks like:

Code:
  Select the device that you would like to build for.

1) HTC Droid Eris
  a) About Builder

0. Exit

Please enter option number:

and then

Code:
  1. Sync AOSP - Cupcake (1.5) repo
  2. Sync AOSP - Donut (1.6) repo
  3. Sync AOSP - Eclair (2.1) repo
  4. Sync AOSP - Froyo (2.2) repo

0. Exit

You can follow these two steps, and you will get a freshly compiled, but unsigned ROM in the original_update folder. After running it through the kitchen, it boots up just fine. Of course, most of the hardware doesn't work. That's the part that I am working on now (seriously, I am). I've been working on this for a while, because as I said - this is really about me learning. If I can make a tool that someone finds useful, then great!

Install instructions:
1) download and unzip dsixda's kitchen to whatever directory you want
2) download Android Builder into kitchen's scripts/plugins folder and unzip
3) back out and start the kitchen
4) select 'Run plugin scripts' from Advanced menu and select 'Android Builder'
5) you're there!

NOTE: This will try to install/update all of the packages that it needs, including Java5. Please look at the code so that you know what it's doing. That's just a good general practice with any code that you can actually look at and that you have to run as root...

Future plans:
1) add more kernels (devices)
2) add more vendor trees (goes along with devices)
3) add more repos (CM5, CM6, AOSP Master)

I hope someone finds this useful, and feel free to post useful suggestions/bug reports.

DOWNLOAD - (https://github.com/gnarlyc/android_builder)

CHANGELOG -
v5. - kiel123 re-wrote v.4 as a plugin to dsixda's kitchen with me testing afterward, minor fixes, removed Java6 as no longer needed by kitchen
v.4 - re-wrote to add structure to support more devices in the future
added option for Cupcake, Donut, and Froyo
added .config files that enable touchscreen in kernel by default
v.3 - unreleased build
v.2 - corrected misspellings in code and dialogs
added sudo to launch setup script (Still need to sudo bash first. Sorry.)
v.1 - initial release

Last edited:

arockj

Mar 20, 2010
Salt Lake City
Very nice. I have been doing the same. I have used darchstar's post here as the basis of my work. But, I am always glad to look how others are doing things. Thanks for the post.

gnarlyc

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Very nice. I have been doing the same. I have used darchstar's post here as the basis of my work. But, I am always glad to look how others are doing things. Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the thanks! I don't quite get the vendor tree thing, but I just need to look at it again a few times. And, that's where I'm at. It would be really neat to be able create a working AOSP ROM from scratch with minimal manual intervention. It might not be possible, but I haven't found that out yet. (But wait! If you can do it manually, it can be scripted. Right?)

firestrife23

May 3, 2009
there's typo in your install script

look for line: android_builder*
should be android-builder*

and your install script should use mv command instead of cp to avoid files duplication

EDIT: also you should use sudo command along with ./ab_setup script or include within script as well.

When i ran ./abmenu and i get this message

Code:
Please copy 'menu-kd' to the root of your kitchen folder with 'menu'

menu-kd?.... don't you mean abmenu? turned out it was looking for menu file which i had it renamed to kitchen_menu but I fixed that on my part and all is working well.

Dont let any of my criticism scare you away, I can see there's a lot of potential use for this scripts, great start by the way.

Last edited:

gnarlyc

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
there's typo in your install script

look for line: android_builder*
should be android-builder*

and your install script should use mv command instead of cp to avoid files duplication

EDIT: also you should use sudo command along with ./ab_setup script or include within script as well.

When i ran ./abmenu and i get this message

Code:
Please copy 'menu-kd' to the root of your kitchen folder with 'menu'

menu-kd?.... don't you mean abmenu? turned out it was looking for menu file which i had it renamed to kitchen_menu but I fixed that on my part and all is working well.

Dont let any of my criticism scare you away, I can see there's a lot of potential use for this scripts, great start by the way.

I renamed all of the scripts at the last minute and thought that I had them fixed. I'll make the corrections and repost. The goal is to get this thing working well. Your criticism is just more motivation. Thanks!

gnarlyc

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I'm new to all this but I would love this to work with Froyo source.

The current 'internal' build works with Cupcake (1.5), Eclair (2.1), and Froyo (2.2). It's not ready to release though. Give me another week or two. I'm working on proprietary bits now, so that you get a more usable ROM from the start.

Although from your sig, it appears that you don't have an Eris, so you probably don't care much about it's proprietary bits. If you want it to get Froyo instead of Eclair, you can just change 'eclair' to 'froyo' in the script that creates the repo.

I'm with you on Froyo. I have a feeling in a month or two very few people will want to run a pre-Froyo ROM. It's really nice.

Last edited:

gnarlyc

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
i keep getting "rm: cannot remove './bkup': No such file or directory"
the file is there untill i run the ./install script then it disappears and shoots me an error any help would be appriciated

That files was used by me while developing the code. It's not needed. I'll fix the install script for v.5, but if you really want to fix the script now... Just remove the line -

'rm ./bkup'

from the 'install' script

You should still be able to start Android Builder by typing './abmenu', as long as it's in the same folder with the kitchen's menu. The error shouldn't matter.

Sjflowerhorn

Apr 28, 2010
Maple Shade/Collingswood/Cherry Hill
That files was used by me while developing the code. It's not needed. I'll fix the install script for v.5, but if you really want to fix the script now... Just remove the line -

'rm ./bkup'

from the 'install' script

You should still be able to start Android Builder by typing './abmenu', as long as it's in the same folder with the kitchen's menu. The error shouldn't matter.

k thanks i think it worked the same even with the error but got it =)

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
gnarlyc --

Have you thought of making this into a .plugin file that can be placed in the scripts/plugins folder of the HTC Android Kitchen? Then that way you won't need to update your scripts each time I update my kitchen :)

In my thread I could provide a link to your tool, so that people can add that plugin if they want.

gnarlyc

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
gnarlyc --

Have you thought of making this into a .plugin file that can be placed in the scripts/plugins folder of the HTC Android Kitchen? Then that way you won't need to update your scripts each time I update my kitchen :)

In my thread I could provide a link to your tool, so that people can add that plugin if they want.

The thought has occurred to me.

Give me a bit. A link in your thread would be great. It might even motivate me to add more devices. Getting stuck on adding Eris proprietary bits has lead me down the road of making a ROM (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=725447) and documenting the process. I'll get back to Android Builder soon though.

Ok, so...

TO-DO
-------
1) rewrite AB as a plugin to dsixda's HTC Android Kitchen
2) add proprietary bits for Eris
3) add more devices
4) add CM repos
5) add Gingerbread repo
6) add compatibility with more distros

gnarlyc

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
i am getting line 28: update-java-alernatives: command not found?

Interesting... I've tested from a freshly installed Ubuntu installation several times. It should install everything you need.

You could try 'update-alternatives --config java' and let me know what it says. You could also look for a file called 'setup_ran' in the root of the Kitchen, and delete it. Start './abmenu' after that and try again.

gnarlyc

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
thanks for answering. Could the problem be that i installed it on cygwin.

Yes. Android Builder will not work under cygwin. I don't know that it ever will. That's on the TO-DO list, but it's so far down that it's not on the posted TO-DO list.

I've only tested under Xubuntu 10.04 and minimal Ubuntu 10.04.

If you happen to work it out on cygwin, let me know! I'm sure others would be happy to have the option. Heck, I might even be. I'm mainly using Ubuntu because of AB anyway. (Although, it is kind of growing on me.)

Geo411m

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2009
Bartow Florida
just wanted to let you know that it didn't work for me. It runs, gives some errors and outputs a update.zip called AOSPbase but the file is only 1.1kb in size.

tenzomonk

May 5, 2010
www.yourmamashouse.com
just wanted to let you know that it didn't work for me. It runs, gives some errors and outputs a update.zip called AOSPbase but the file is only 1.1kb in size.

make sure you have java5 and java6 jre/jdk installed. it should work then. i had a similar issue the first time through... took it literally 10hours plus, then output was the 1.1k AOSPBase.zip file.

manually installed all java components, and everything worked perfectly then (and took half the time) :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This project is no longer being updated. Feel free to use the code.

Android Builder (AB v.5)

kiel123 has joined the AB team!

Thanks to dsixda, Armin Coralic, and cteneyck. I do have permission to reuse their code.

Requirements:
    Ubuntu Linux or variant
    dsixda's HTC Android Basic Kitchen - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=633246

In my crazy quest to learn more about Android, I decided to create a companion to dsixda's kitchen that will take some of the drudgery out of downloading and compiling AOSP and the HTC kernel.

Here's what the current menus looks like:

Code:
      Select the device that you would like to build for.

1) HTC Droid Eris
      a) About Builder

0. Exit

and then

Code:
      1. Sync AOSP - Cupcake (1.5) repo
      2. Sync AOSP - Donut (1.6) repo
      3. Sync AOSP - Eclair (2.1) repo
      4. Sync AOSP - Froyo (2.2) repo

0. Exit

You can follow these two steps, and you will get a freshly compiled, but unsigned ROM in the original_update folder. After running it through the kitchen, it boots up just fine. Of course, most of the hardware doesn't work. That's the part that I am working on now (seriously, I am). I've been working on this for a while, because as I said - this is really about me learning. If I can make a tool that someone finds useful, then great!

Install instructions:
    1) download and unzip dsixda's kitchen to whatever directory you want
    2) download Android Builder into kitchen's scripts/plugins folder and unzip
    3) back out and start the kitchen
    4) select 'Run plugin scripts' from Advanced menu and select 'Android Builder'
    5) you're there!

NOTE: This will try to install/update all of the packages that it needs, including Java5. Please look at the code so that you know what it's doing. That's just a good general practice with any code that you can actually look at and that you have to run as root...

Future plans:
    1) add more kernels (devices)
    2) add more vendor trees (goes along with devices)
    3) add more repos (CM5, CM6, AOSP Master)

I hope someone finds this useful, and feel free to post useful suggestions/bug reports.

DOWNLOAD - (https://github.com/gnarlyc/android_builder)

CHANGELOG -
    v5. - kiel123 re-wrote v.4 as a plugin to dsixda's kitchen with me testing afterward, minor fixes, removed Java6 as no longer needed by kitchen
    v.4 - re-wrote to add structure to support more devices in the future
    added option for Cupcake, Donut, and Froyo
    added .config files that enable touchscreen in kernel by default
    v.3 - unreleased build
    v.2 - corrected misspellings in code and dialogs
    added sudo to launch setup script (Still need to sudo bash first. Sorry.)
    v.1 - initial release
    Is your project still alive?

Can you update sources?

No.

Feel free to fork it and make any updates you want.