Have a question or problem about the ICS OTA? Post them here!

Search This thread

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT
Please read posts 1-3 BEFORE posting.
So I've noticed a lot of new threads with questions and problems relating to the ICS OTA that came out this morning. I figured I'd start a thread to post all the questions and problems in to reduce clutter of the Rezound forums. So if you have any problems or inquiries, post them here and we'll try to help you! :) :good:

Make sure to read the FAQ before posting in case it can solve your issue! :)

If you find my posts helpful, please thank them as well as the first three of these posts! It really means a lot to me and keeps me motivated! ;)

If you're S-on and need additional help, please feel free to contact famouscollin

Last edited:

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If my bootloader is Unlocked, or I'm on a custom recovery, can I take the OTA?
A: No, Relock with
Code:
fastboot oem lock
and make sure you're on the stock recovery.(linked in post #3)

Q: If I'm on one of the leaked ICS Firmwares, will I be able to take the OTA?
A: No, you have two paths you can take to get the OTA, you can downgrade GB and take the OTA (S-OFF only), or you can manually update using the RUU.exe or PH98IMG.zip (linked in Post #3).

Q: If I upgrade, will I be able to keep root?
A: You will lose it initially, but you should be able to get it back by unlocking and flashing Amon Ra, or by flashing the JBear HBoot and flashing a SuperUser.zip (linked in post #3)

Q: How do I unlock after taking the OTA or running the RUU?
A: If you kept the Unlock_code.bin in your fastboot folder, you can use fastboot to
Code:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
Otherwise, redo the HTCDev steps like before

Q: How do I run an RUU?
A: See the link in post #3 it contains instructions for both the .exe and the PH98IMG.zip

Last edited:

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT
Installation Instructions

For stock GB (may work if rooted): make sure you have a locked bootloader (instructions in FAQ) and the stock Recovery (link at bottom of post)
1. Open Settings by pressing Menu and tapping Settings (or opening the settings Icon)
2. Click about phone
3. Click Software Update
4. Accept and Download
5. When prompted, install and reboot (may take 20 mins to an hour depending on connection)
6. Profit!

For any ICS Firmware:
You have 2 options now. You can:
1. Run the GB OTA RUU.exe (linked below), and take the ICS update from there (S-OFF only)
*OR*
2. Relock bootloader (Only if S-ON) and run the OTA RUU

If you're on one of the ICS Firmwares, I'll assume you already know how to flash an RUU (as you have to to get on the leaked firmware) so I won't explain that in this post. If you really don't know how, see this guide: http://www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/flashing-ruu-htc

OTA RUU: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ull-ruu-build-4-03-605-2-for-the-htc-rezound/ (PH98IMG.zip)

GB 2.01 RUU: http://www.4shared.com/file/DCi69XHl/RUU_Vigor_VERIZON_WWE_20160511.html (thanks synisterwolf) (RUU.exe)

Stock GB Recovery: http://www.mediafire.com/?wb21d2gdurui2c6 (thanks, Scotty85)

SuperSU.zip: http://download.chainfire.eu/204/SuperSU/CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip (flash this if you have trouble getting root) (thanks, HowardZ)

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
So I've noticed a lot of new threads with questions and problems relating to the ICS OTA that came out this morning. I figured I'd start a thread to post all the questions and problems in to reduce clutter of the Rezound forums. So if you have any problems or inquiries, post them here and we'll try to help you! :) :good:

This is the error i receive when attempting to install the update. I have an unlocked bootloader.

Assert failed : apply_patch_check(" /system/app/kindle.apk", "9bba894dffe:unknown command [2756cf50f5514ba2a1e622ffe335c",]

E:Error in /cache/fumo/otapkg.zip

(status 7)

install aborted

demmo86rt

Sep 26, 2010
Brentwood, CA
I'll start, because I don't think that I have seen a definitive answer yet.

Has anybody running a leak been able to pull and install the update OTA?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT
This is the error i receive when attempting to install the update. I have an unlocked bootloader.

Assert failed : apply_patch_check(" /system/app/kindle.apk", "9bba894dffe:unknown command [2756cf50f5514ba2a1e622ffe335c",]

E:Error in /cache/fumo/otapkg.zip

(status 7)

install aborted

Relock your bootloader, then try to take the update :)

I'll start, because I don't think that I have seen a definitive answer yet.

Has anybody running a leak been able to pull and install the update OTA?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

If you're on a leak, you will have to either downgrade to GB and take the OTA, or run the full RUU.exe, or PH98IMG.zip

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT
DO i go through the same steps as i did when i unlocked it :p >?

Same site and same unlock link or ?:

To lock the bootloader, look in post #2 I included the fastboot code for it. To unlock again, you can just flash the same unlocktoken.bin that you used the first time if you kept it. If not, then you will have to use HTCdev to unlock again

Aug 3, 2012
To lock the bootloader, look in post #2 I included the fastboot code for it. To unlock again, you can just flash the same unlocktoken.bin that you used the first time if you kept it. If not, then you will have to use HTCdev to unlock again

Could i get a link to a site or a guide of some sort to lock the boot loadeR :p. I dono where the code goes that you have supplied :p. I had to use steps to unlock my bootloader too :p>

Even on my Droid X i had to follow steps to get a custom rom on it :p. I have not dipped my toes in the world of phones too much :p

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT
Could i get a link to a site or a guide of some sort to lock the boot loadeR :p. I dono where the code goes that you have supplied :p. I had to use steps to unlock my bootloader too :p>

Even on my Droid X i had to follow steps to get a custom rom on it :p. I have not dipped my toes in the world of phones too much :p

All you have to do is open the command prompt app, type CD C:\path to the\folder you put\adb and fastboot in. (So if you had it in you desktop you'd type cd C:\Users\YourUserName\Desktop\Android-SDK [or whatever you called it])

Then type (without quotes) "fastboot oem lock"

It's that simple! :)

Aug 3, 2012
All you have to do is open the command prompt app, type CD C:\path to the\folder you put\adb and fastboot in. (So if you had it in you desktop you'd type cd C:\Users\YourUserName\Desktop\Android-SDK [or whatever you called it])

Then type (without quotes) "fastboot oem lock"

It's that simple! :)

IM sure it is simple :p.

But even that is confusing for me as i unlocked my bootloader many moons ago with step by step directions so i have not done this since then.

Like setting up an SBS server from scratch and configuring a network with computers and printers and a VPN and or working in exchange is simple cause i do it everyday :p haha.

Sorry to have wasted your time loL. I will stick around till someone uploads a youtube video or tutorial for this:p

Thank you for your efforts :p

Sorry again.

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT

But even that is confusing for me as i unlocked my bootloader many moons ago with step by step directions so i have not done this since then.

Like setting up an SBS server from scratch and configuring a network with computers and printers and a VPN and or working in exchange is simple cause i do it everyday :p haha.

Sorry to have wasted your time loL. I will stick around till someone uploads a youtube video or tutorial for this:p

Sorry again.
No problem man, hope you get it figured out soon :)

hchristy2013

Jul 28, 2012
Baltimore
Why do I keep getting endless notifications, in gb all you had to do was keep background data off, that doesn't do shish now.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

RoryHe

Jan 26, 2012
North ID

Sorry again.

I'll try to help.

1.You have to use the command line so open that up.

2. navigate to where you placed the fastboot files
> type "cd\" without the quotes
> type cd where did you put the fastboot files
so if you put it in the C drive in a folder called android you would type
cd android
if you put it in a folder in a folder
as in the folder then in another folder in their called tools put
cd android/tools
then when you are where your fastboot stuff is type
fastboot oem lock

Reactions: Basicallyevolve

fjl307

Jun 26, 2007
I have the first "official" ICS leak from back in March - no root or S-off just the leak which was loaded from a microSd card. Do I need to downgrade back to GB or simply wait until the update gets pushed to me? My phone currently says there are no software updates available.

famouscollin

Jul 30, 2012
Can all this be done on any ics based Rom* for instance I'm using the viperRez Rom with s-on.. would all I have to do flash stock recovery<relock bootloader<apply PH98IMG for update<re-unlock<and flash back to amonRa? Will I lose root or data? Would I be able to flash back to my current Rom

Sent from my s-on reZound rockin ViperRez Rom.. using xda app-developers app

wlmeng11

Apr 23, 2012
Palo Alto, CA

Lol working towards RC I see...

Sent from my NeoMax Rezound

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please read posts 1-3 BEFORE posting.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Make sure to read the FAQ before posting in case it can solve your issue! :)

If you find my posts helpful, please thank them as well as the first three of these posts! It really means a lot to me and keeps me motivated! ;)

If you're S-on and need additional help, please feel free to contact famouscollin
    Installation Instructions

For stock GB (may work if rooted): make sure you have a locked bootloader (instructions in FAQ) and the stock Recovery (link at bottom of post)
    1. Open Settings by pressing Menu and tapping Settings (or opening the settings Icon)
    2. Click about phone
    3. Click Software Update
    4. Accept and Download
    5. When prompted, install and reboot (may take 20 mins to an hour depending on connection)
    6. Profit!

For any ICS Firmware:
    You have 2 options now. You can:
    1. Run the GB OTA RUU.exe (linked below), and take the ICS update from there (S-OFF only)
    *OR*
    2. Relock bootloader (Only if S-ON) and run the OTA RUU

If you're on one of the ICS Firmwares, I'll assume you already know how to flash an RUU (as you have to to get on the leaked firmware) so I won't explain that in this post. If you really don't know how, see this guide: http://www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/flashing-ruu-htc

OTA RUU: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ull-ruu-build-4-03-605-2-for-the-htc-rezound/ (PH98IMG.zip)

GB 2.01 RUU: http://www.4shared.com/file/DCi69XHl/RUU_Vigor_VERIZON_WWE_20160511.html (thanks synisterwolf) (RUU.exe)

Stock GB Recovery: http://www.mediafire.com/?wb21d2gdurui2c6 (thanks, Scotty85)

SuperSU.zip: http://download.chainfire.eu/204/SuperSU/CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip (flash this if you have trouble getting root) (thanks, HowardZ)
    Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If my bootloader is Unlocked, or I'm on a custom recovery, can I take the OTA?
    A: No, Relock with
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
    and make sure you're on the stock recovery.(linked in post #3)

Q: If I'm on one of the leaked ICS Firmwares, will I be able to take the OTA?
    A: No, you have two paths you can take to get the OTA, you can downgrade GB and take the OTA (S-OFF only), or you can manually update using the RUU.exe or PH98IMG.zip (linked in Post #3).

Q: If I upgrade, will I be able to keep root?
    A: You will lose it initially, but you should be able to get it back by unlocking and flashing Amon Ra, or by flashing the JBear HBoot and flashing a SuperUser.zip (linked in post #3)

Q: How do I unlock after taking the OTA or running the RUU?
    A: If you kept the Unlock_code.bin in your fastboot folder, you can use fastboot to
    Code:
    fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
    Otherwise, redo the HTCDev steps like before

Q: How do I run an RUU?
    A: See the link in post #3 it contains instructions for both the .exe and the PH98IMG.zip
    Guys I have a request.. if I helped you out in any way, please thank that post, as well as the first the posts that I made on the first page it really helps me stay motivated to have people thank my work :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    I finally got root on my ICS Rezound.:D I made a quick guide for anyone still stuck (feel free to add to OP Ashton) It's a really super-noob guide with a lot of steps so it should work for everyone!

For those who need help rooting after downloading the ICS OTA:
    Step 1: Flash Amon Ra recovery onto your phone
    Step 2: add this file to the ROOT of your external SD Card: http://www.sendspace.com/file/biqzgw
    Step 3: Turn off your phone, pull battery, put back in battery, BUT DO NOT TURN BACK ON and look at step 5
    Step 5: Hold down the volume down button + the power button at same time and hold it until the bootloader pops up.
    Step 6. Use the volume down button to go to "recovery" (it should be highlighted blue if selected) and hit the power button. You should now be in Amon ra recovery
    Step 7: Use the Volume buttons to move the selector up or down and go down to "Flash zip menu" and hit the power button to select it.
    Step 8: Next go down and select "Choose zip from sdcard" and select it by hitting the power buttton again/
    Step 9: Now you should find the file for the root here (normally at the very bottom, just remember what you named it) and scroll to it and hit power. It will ask to confirm by hitting the power button again so do so.
    Step 10: It will now install, however, If it fails just try to install again until it says it was successful. (It took me 2 tries)
    Step 11: Select the return option to return to the main Amon Ra page and select "Reboot system now"
    Step 12: While your phone is booting up, put the back cover on if you have not yet done so as it is needed for the next part.
    Step 13: Go to the Google Play store, and download this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nstaller&hl=en
    Step 14: Open the installer (and superuser might request permission, if it does, click ALLOW) and at the bottom it should say something like "Install". Click this!
    Step 15: Once it says it is successful with the installation, go back to the Play store and find the superuser app.
    Step 16: Update Superuser and then open it. (Allow superuser permissions again if asked) and scroll the the "info" page which is to the left of the main apps page
    Step 17: under su bunary vx.x.x hit the "Tap to check for updates" option.
    Step 18: Hit update
    Step 19: YOU ARE ROOTED
    Step 20: You may uninstall the busybox installer and install any root applications for your leisure!
    Step 21: Thanks this post if it helped:)