[eMMC][2/22]Dual Boot Guide 2.0: Any Combination[Stock 1.4.1][CM7.1+][CM9]

Search This thread

Taosaur

May 4, 2011
Ohiopolis
taosaur.blogspot.com
MAJOR UPDATE 2/22/12: While the process hasn't changed too much, the key files have all been replaced for greater flexibility, and they are NOT compatible with the old method using rookie1's prep-dualboot zip. See this post for an update path from the old method to the current one.

This guide details how to repartition your internal storage and install two operating systems, or ROMs, side by side. If you're looking for a SD install that leaves the Nook's main storage untouched, you're in the wrong place (see my sig).

This guide takes advantage of the multiboot functionality built-in to CM7.1 nightlies since about #140. As such, it is not compatible with CM7.0.x builds or with earlier boot menus.

What you'll get: Whatever two ROMs you install, each will have a nearly 2GB /data partition for apps and they will share a nearly 2GB /media partition for storage, and both will have access to the SD card for more storage. At startup you will see either a small green bar labeled "CyanogenMod," or the word "cyanoboot" in blue. Both boot menus work the same:
  • Do nothing, and your primary system will boot
  • Hold down both volume buttons, and your alternate system will boot
  • Hold down 'n' for a more detailed boot menu
  • Hold 'n'+power and recovery will boot (if you installed CWM internally).
All of these actions must be taken in the first couple seconds, before a "loading" message appears below the logo. Once you see a confirmation message, you can release all buttons.

DISCLAIMER: As usual, YOU are responsible for changes YOU make to YOUR device. This process is intermediate difficulty level. It probably shouldn't be the first thing you've ever done with ClockworkMod Recovery, and you probably shouldn't just follow the steps if you don't understand them. If you don't know how your NC is currently partitioned, turn back now. If you want to preserve your warranty, turn back now. Here be serpents; be so warned.

Following the guide as-is with all default options gets you a stock 1.4.1* install on secondary and a CM7 install on primary. I hope you can figure out what to substitute where for different results.

*I don't have access to a CWM-flashable 1.4.2 zip right now, but there are instructions for making one here.

The Guide

Prerequisites:

CWM on either SD or internal recovery (internal recommended)
Wi-Fi access

Materials:

repartitionDual2GBdata
BNpri2alt
reformatData
1.4.1-keep-CWM (IF you're not starting with an up-to-date stock install)
CM7.1+ OR MiRaGe's CM7.2 OR unofficial CM9 nightlies (w/ compatible gapps)
CM7 gapps(look near the bottom of the page)

Steps:

1. Put all materials in your SD card's root directory (DO NOT UNZIP).
  2. Boot into CWM.
  3. From CWM main menu, "backup and restore" and "backup."
  4. From CWM main menu, "install zip from sdcard," and "choose zip from sdcard."
  5. Choose the repartitionDual2GB file.
  6. Reboot recovery. If you have internal CWM and no boot menu, you may need to use the rhythm method:
    hold nook N key and then press and hold power until the {first} message appears and then disappears with screen going blank. Release power button, then press it again and hold for ~5 seconds, the {first} message should be on the screen for three seconds or so before you release power button, keep holding N button until screen blanks again. If the screen went off while you were holding the power key, that means you were holding it for too long
  7. Repeat step 4 and choose reformatData
  8. If your backup in step 3 was stock, you can "backup and restore" then "restore" and skip to step 13.
  9. Otherwise, repeat step 4 and choose 1.4.1-keep-CWM.
  10. When it finishes, hold the power button to shut down, remove your CWM card (if applicable), and power back on.
  11. Complete B&N registration process¹
  12. Power off and boot back into CWM (may require rhythm method above).
  13. Repeat step 4 and choose BNpri2alt.
  14. From CWM main menu, in "mounts and storage," format system, data, and cache.
  15. From CWM main menu, choose "Advanced" and "Wipe dalvik cache."
  16. Repeat step 4 and choose CM7 update zip.²
  17. Reboot into main partition and set up Wi-Fi.
  18. Reboot into alt partition (hit both volume buttons at once on "CyanogenMod" loading screen) to make sure it's working.
  19. optional: install gapps, keysmod, etc from CWM.

¹Any mods you want to make to stock, do it now: update to a newer version, root with Manual Nooter (if rooting 1.4.x firmware, follow the linked instructions but use MN 5.12.20), flash keysmod, overclock kernels, or anything else CWM-flashable.

²If you backed up an existing CM7/9 install in step 3, then after step 16 just install gapps, install keysmod if you want it, then from CWM's main menu, Backup & restore > Advanced Restore, and restore data only from your most recent backup. When you boot into CM7 (not tested with CM9), it will be just like you left it.³

³Steps 17 and 18 may look unnecessary, but several users experienced force closes in their CM7 installs when they didn't take these steps.

Other Resources:

CMpri2alt: Moves a CyanogenMod install from the primary partition set to the alternate partition set
BNalt2pri: Moves a stock install from the alternate partition set to the primary partition set
CMalt2pri: Moves a CyanogenMod install from the alternate partition set to the primary partition set
Revert dual boot: deletes the alternate partition set and alternate boot files. Does not restore stock partition sizes, but must be run prior to partitioning back to stock.
1.4.1 full restore: removes CWM from internal recovery, does not affect partitioning
1.4.1-to-alt-partition: updates any existing stock install on the dual boot partition (removes root, does not remove installed apps)
Steps to back up and/or update both partitions
Instructions to rename boot files created with j4mm3r's old multiboot
Possible fix for rooted stock boot-looping at 'n' screen on secondary

Credits:

repartitionDual2GB and reformatData provided by DeanGibson
1.4.1 zips provided by rajendra82
possible boot-loop fix provided by sryan1983
BNpri2alt, BNalt2pri, CMpri2alt and CMalt2pri are minor alterations of DeanGibson's files
revert-dualboot is a minor alteration of rookie1's remove-dualboot
Racks11479 provided key info for the above alterations

Old Resources (Do Not Use with Current Method):

prep-dualboot
froyo-to-dualboot
Remove dual boot: returns partitioning altered with prep-dualboot to stock (1GB/5GB, non-blue-dot)
1.2 full restore: removes CWM from internal recovery, does not affect partitioning
1.3-to-alt-partition: updates any existing stock install on the dual boot partition (removes root, does not remove installed apps)
Video documenting setup for a CM9 (Ice Cream Sandwich Alpha) dual boot with Nook Color stock 1.4.1

Old Credits:
1.2 full restore provided by nemith: thank here
prep dual boot and remove dual boot by rookie1: thank here
froyo-to-dualboot from jasoraso: thank here
1.4-to-alt from jasoraso: thank here

You can thank me with the button below, or if you feel real strongly about it, you can make a donation at my blog.

UPDATE 5/25/12: Removed the prerequisite for 1GB/5GB partitioning. A little bird named jicama confirmed that the newer partitioning script doesn't care if you start with a blue dot NC. Prep-dualboot would carve the alt partitions out of /media, which doesn't work if /media's not big enough. RepartitionDual just deletes the last three partitions (/system, /data and /media) and makes new partitions from the now-unallocated space, so as long as you have the right number of partitions, it doesn't matter how big they are.

Last edited:

oppy

Feb 14, 2008
I'm getting more daring :D, so I went through this step-by-step this afternoon (thanks for the guide!).

This was a fresh install into a previously stock Nook (I was running CM7 through the SD).

Booting into stock 1.3 works fine - no difference at all.

In CM7, however, I'm having some problems. I installed nightly 201, which worked fine from the SD card. When I boot into CM7, I get a couple "android.process.media" errors at startup, and again when I try to start Market, which just hangs up after a couple of error message popups. I tried to reinstall 201 through CWM which didn't help.

Any ideas? Should I try a different nightly build?

EDIT: also tried 202 with the same results.

Last edited:

Taosaur

May 4, 2011
Ohiopolis
taosaur.blogspot.com
I'm getting more daring :D, so I went through this step-by-step this afternoon (thanks for the guide!).

This was a fresh install into a previously stock Nook (I was running CM7 through the SD).

In CM7, however, I'm having some problems. I installed nightly 201, which worked fine from the SD card. When I boot into CM7, I get a couple "android.process.media" errors at startup, and again when I try to start Market, which just hangs up after a couple of error message popups. I tried to reinstall 201 through CWM which didn't help.

You wiped system, data, and cache after running froyo-to-dualboot and before installing CM7? Try wiping dalvik cache, too (under Advanced in CWM), and boot into both partitions after installing CM7 but before gapps or any other packages/restores.

Reactions: Jeph62 and oppy

oppy

Feb 14, 2008
You wiped system, data, and cache after running froyo-to-dualboot and before installing CM7?

Yes.

Try wiping dalvik cache, too (under Advanced in CWM), and boot into both partitions after installing CM7 but before gapps or any other packages/restores.

Okay, I'll do that and post results. Thanks.

EDIT: Looks like that did it. Seems to work fine, other than some app FCs, which, from what I've read, are fairly common. Thanks for the assist!

Last edited:

oppy

Feb 14, 2008
I was a bit confused about the backup and restore part also. Seeing as my Nook was stock to start, I probably didn't need to do that step, and might have actually caused a problem or two by restoring data that didn't exist to start.

Still working great. The only FCs I've had so far were while trying to run Facebook.

SCrid2000

Jun 13, 2011
Puyallup, WA
Thanks man.
I appreciate you putting all the tools in one place, and I especially appreciate you posting that us blue dot people needed to repartition to 1gb data before doing this; I should've figured that, but I didn't for some reason.
Moving 1.3 to the dual boot partition as I type ;)
Question though; after I move 1.3 to the dual boot, can I still install modifications to it via CWM?

Taosaur

May 4, 2011
Ohiopolis
taosaur.blogspot.com
Question though; after I move 1.3 to the dual boot, can I still install modifications to it via CWM?

Short answer: no. As-is, most zips tell CWM to install them to the primary partition. You can modify them to to install to the secondary, but it's a lot simpler if you want to root, install keysmod, or overclock, to do it before you shuffle stock to secondary.

There's a decent chance rajendra82 or someone else will provide dual boot compatible versions of any future B&N software upgrades.

SCrid2000

Jun 13, 2011
Puyallup, WA
Short answer: no. As-is, most zips tell CWM to install them to the primary partition. You can modify them to to install to the secondary, but it's a lot simpler if you want to root, install keysmod, or overclock, to do it before you shuffle stock to secondary.

There's a decent chance rajendra82 or someone else will provide dual boot compatible versions of any future B&N software upgrades.

Thanks man. That's what I figured.

Jeph62

Dec 4, 2010
This is the best thing EVER. I got sick of the nook app on my CM7 build, so this worked flawlessly.
I am running the CM7.1.0 RC1 build, and everything runs smooth as silk

TomMelee

Nov 3, 2010
I kept a stock install of 1.2 and installed phiremod 6.3 because the 7.2 links weren't working and I couldn't find one anywhere. How do I boot into the alt-partition on boot? There is no CM7 boot screen (google gears, maybe?) and pressing volume buttons several times throughout the entire boot didn't do it.

rabi347

Oct 8, 2010
can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong. I followed the steps, CM7 boots ok but when I use the alt, the nook gets stuck on the "n" screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: rnadeau

Taosaur

May 4, 2011
Ohiopolis
taosaur.blogspot.com
I kept a stock install of 1.2 and installed phiremod 6.3 because the 7.2 links weren't working and I couldn't find one anywhere. How do I boot into the alt-partition on boot? There is no CM7 boot screen (google gears, maybe?) and pressing volume buttons several times throughout the entire boot didn't do it.

I'll just leave these here:

this guide is not compatible with CM 7.0.x sta(b)le releases, nor branch ROMs based on those builds

Taosaur said:
Question: what if I want to stick with Phiremod 6.3 instead of going to 7? Can I do all the steps outlined but just substitute 7 for 6.3? Thanks!

Negative, that's built on CM 7.0.3.

Try installing regular CM 7.1.

can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong. I followed the steps, CM7 boots ok but when I use the alt, the nook gets stuck on the "n" screen.

Sounds like you got close. I would say start over at step 5.

Reactions: rabi347

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MAJOR UPDATE 2/22/12: While the process hasn't changed too much, the key files have all been replaced for greater flexibility, and they are NOT compatible with the old method using rookie1's prep-dualboot zip. See this post for an update path from the old method to the current one.

This guide details how to repartition your internal storage and install two operating systems, or ROMs, side by side. If you're looking for a SD install that leaves the Nook's main storage untouched, you're in the wrong place (see my sig).

This guide takes advantage of the multiboot functionality built-in to CM7.1 nightlies since about #140. As such, it is not compatible with CM7.0.x builds or with earlier boot menus.

What you'll get: Whatever two ROMs you install, each will have a nearly 2GB /data partition for apps and they will share a nearly 2GB /media partition for storage, and both will have access to the SD card for more storage. At startup you will see either a small green bar labeled "CyanogenMod," or the word "cyanoboot" in blue. Both boot menus work the same:
    • Do nothing, and your primary system will boot
    • Hold down both volume buttons, and your alternate system will boot
    • Hold down 'n' for a more detailed boot menu
    • Hold 'n'+power and recovery will boot (if you installed CWM internally).
    All of these actions must be taken in the first couple seconds, before a "loading" message appears below the logo. Once you see a confirmation message, you can release all buttons.

DISCLAIMER: As usual, YOU are responsible for changes YOU make to YOUR device. This process is intermediate difficulty level. It probably shouldn't be the first thing you've ever done with ClockworkMod Recovery, and you probably shouldn't just follow the steps if you don't understand them. If you don't know how your NC is currently partitioned, turn back now. If you want to preserve your warranty, turn back now. Here be serpents; be so warned.

Following the guide as-is with all default options gets you a stock 1.4.1* install on secondary and a CM7 install on primary. I hope you can figure out what to substitute where for different results.

*I don't have access to a CWM-flashable 1.4.2 zip right now, but there are instructions for making one here.

The Guide

Prerequisites:

CWM on either SD or internal recovery (internal recommended)
    Wi-Fi access

Materials:

repartitionDual2GBdata
    BNpri2alt
    reformatData
    1.4.1-keep-CWM (IF you're not starting with an up-to-date stock install)
    CM7.1+ OR MiRaGe's CM7.2 OR unofficial CM9 nightlies (w/ compatible gapps)
    CM7 gapps(look near the bottom of the page)

Steps:

1. Put all materials in your SD card's root directory (DO NOT UNZIP).
    2. Boot into CWM.
    3. From CWM main menu, "backup and restore" and "backup."
    4. From CWM main menu, "install zip from sdcard," and "choose zip from sdcard."
    5. Choose the repartitionDual2GB file.
    6. Reboot recovery. If you have internal CWM and no boot menu, you may need to use the rhythm method:
      hold nook N key and then press and hold power until the {first} message appears and then disappears with screen going blank. Release power button, then press it again and hold for ~5 seconds, the {first} message should be on the screen for three seconds or so before you release power button, keep holding N button until screen blanks again. If the screen went off while you were holding the power key, that means you were holding it for too long
    7. Repeat step 4 and choose reformatData
    8. If your backup in step 3 was stock, you can "backup and restore" then "restore" and skip to step 13.
    9. Otherwise, repeat step 4 and choose 1.4.1-keep-CWM.
    10. When it finishes, hold the power button to shut down, remove your CWM card (if applicable), and power back on.
    11. Complete B&N registration process¹
    12. Power off and boot back into CWM (may require rhythm method above).
    13. Repeat step 4 and choose BNpri2alt.
    14. From CWM main menu, in "mounts and storage," format system, data, and cache.
    15. From CWM main menu, choose "Advanced" and "Wipe dalvik cache."
    16. Repeat step 4 and choose CM7 update zip.²
    17. Reboot into main partition and set up Wi-Fi.
    18. Reboot into alt partition (hit both volume buttons at once on "CyanogenMod" loading screen) to make sure it's working.
    19. optional: install gapps, keysmod, etc from CWM.

¹Any mods you want to make to stock, do it now: update to a newer version, root with Manual Nooter (if rooting 1.4.x firmware, follow the linked instructions but use MN 5.12.20), flash keysmod, overclock kernels, or anything else CWM-flashable.

²If you backed up an existing CM7/9 install in step 3, then after step 16 just install gapps, install keysmod if you want it, then from CWM's main menu, Backup & restore > Advanced Restore, and restore data only from your most recent backup. When you boot into CM7 (not tested with CM9), it will be just like you left it.³

³Steps 17 and 18 may look unnecessary, but several users experienced force closes in their CM7 installs when they didn't take these steps.

Other Resources:

CMpri2alt: Moves a CyanogenMod install from the primary partition set to the alternate partition set
    BNalt2pri: Moves a stock install from the alternate partition set to the primary partition set
    CMalt2pri: Moves a CyanogenMod install from the alternate partition set to the primary partition set
    Revert dual boot: deletes the alternate partition set and alternate boot files. Does not restore stock partition sizes, but must be run prior to partitioning back to stock.
    1.4.1 full restore: removes CWM from internal recovery, does not affect partitioning
    1.4.1-to-alt-partition: updates any existing stock install on the dual boot partition (removes root, does not remove installed apps)
    Steps to back up and/or update both partitions
    Instructions to rename boot files created with j4mm3r's old multiboot
    Possible fix for rooted stock boot-looping at 'n' screen on secondary

Credits:

repartitionDual2GB and reformatData provided by DeanGibson
    1.4.1 zips provided by rajendra82
    possible boot-loop fix provided by sryan1983
    BNpri2alt, BNalt2pri, CMpri2alt and CMalt2pri are minor alterations of DeanGibson's files
    revert-dualboot is a minor alteration of rookie1's remove-dualboot
    Racks11479 provided key info for the above alterations

Old Resources (Do Not Use with Current Method):

prep-dualboot
    froyo-to-dualboot
    Remove dual boot: returns partitioning altered with prep-dualboot to stock (1GB/5GB, non-blue-dot)
    1.2 full restore: removes CWM from internal recovery, does not affect partitioning
    1.3-to-alt-partition: updates any existing stock install on the dual boot partition (removes root, does not remove installed apps)
    Video documenting setup for a CM9 (Ice Cream Sandwich Alpha) dual boot with Nook Color stock 1.4.1

Old Credits:
    1.2 full restore provided by nemith: thank here
    prep dual boot and remove dual boot by rookie1: thank here
    froyo-to-dualboot from jasoraso: thank here
    1.4-to-alt from jasoraso: thank here

You can thank me with the button below, or if you feel real strongly about it, you can make a donation at my blog.

UPDATE 5/25/12: Removed the prerequisite for 1GB/5GB partitioning. A little bird named jicama confirmed that the newer partitioning script doesn't care if you start with a blue dot NC. Prep-dualboot would carve the alt partitions out of /media, which doesn't work if /media's not big enough. RepartitionDual just deletes the last three partitions (/system, /data and /media) and makes new partitions from the now-unallocated space, so as long as you have the right number of partitions, it doesn't matter how big they are.
    For what is worth, I took the 1.3_dual update, and put in the new 1.4.1 files > so here is a 1.4.1_dual update that can be flashed. This will flash the new B&N 1.4.1 update to the second partition.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9xaqc6qe7cbdb82

You wiped system, data, and cache after running froyo-to-dualboot and before installing CM7? Try wiping dalvik cache, too (under Advanced in CWM), and boot into both partitions after installing CM7 but before gapps or any other packages/restores.
    Question. When 1.4 arrives for the Stock Nook Color partition, would updating through the over the air update work fine (Considering it is 100% stock but on the 2nd partition) or would I need to redo the process for both all over again?

If someone with the know-how has sufficient interest come December when the 1.4 update becomes available, there may be a 1.4-to-alt-partition update zip available. Otherwise, you would have to get back to stock on the primary partition and follow the upgrade path from there.