White Streak parts

Search This thread

win2012

Apr 15, 2012
How are the parts? Are they good? Im curious how u install those parts... I think it's rather difficult right?:)

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
If you're taking apart yours to swap bodies, you should try and see if there's any visual differences.

The site you linked to had 'OEM' docks but the pictured ones are just cheap generic ones and not actual OEM ones.
(They're also priced as cheap generic docks, it could simply be they're labeled incorrectly, but still)

Hopefully what you ordered is the real thing and not a copy.

sanyokt4j

Jun 28, 2011
Sacramento
will do, currently I have a black aws model and white att one so I'll have the actual dell one to compare quality with.

and yes the docks seem to be cheap generic stuff.

Last edited:

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Hmm, but they only offer 'white' (even though the pictured ones are black), each color also has matching colored buttons(?)

On a side note you can almost completely refurbish a S5 for ~$150, the only things missing are the mobo, the bezel side bumpers (the shiny plastic part) and some minor internal pieces.

sanyokt4j

Jun 28, 2011
Sacramento
Yeah I'd noticed their picture is of black ones, I'd emailed them and they assured me the buttons would be white in color. I think getting a new board to do a full refurb would be a bit difficult considering that its an aws model and last time i spoke with dell they denied its existence plus i just want a white aws streak....

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
I was speaking hypothetically in regards to the refurbing, it's likely easier to get a donor mobo to refurb around instead of doing a full refurb with 'new' parts.

They dont offer black or red buttons though? They offer black and red bodies but not the buttons.

Wonder how hard it would be to get a purple one, purples ones existed for prototype streaks. :D

sanyokt4j

Jun 28, 2011
Sacramento
I was speaking hypothetically in regards to the refurbing, it's likely easier to get a donor mobo to refurb around instead of doing a full refurb with 'new' parts.

They dont offer black or red buttons though? They offer black and red bodies but not the buttons.

Wonder how hard it would be to get a purple one, purples ones existed for prototype streaks. :D

Hmm, I was never aware they had purple ones.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
It was only prototype ones, they were never available for retail.

Though majority of prototype ones were black anyway, it might have been a specific phase of prototyping.

sanyokt4j

Jun 28, 2011
Sacramento
Darn it, now i'm tempted to bust out all my paint stuff and make mine purple, it wouldn't be too hard considering how the streak isn't textured like the note.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
If I were to paint it any color, I'd prob pick metallic blue.

I believe the S5 was demoed in that color at one point, but ultimately the only ones that were available (depends on location):
  • Black (obviously)
  • White
  • Red

Possibly demoed or very limited availability:
  • Purple (like mentioned)
  • Blue
  • Green
  • Possibly one or two more colors I cant remember.

Given how poorly the S5 sold (in comparison to it's potential, look at the note) it's why the majority are black.

sanyokt4j

Jun 28, 2011
Sacramento
The worse part is there's no pictures of those color ones :/ personally i kind of like the fact it didn't sell much, it makes the phone a bit more unique amongst people

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
dell-streak-5-red-picture-2251.jpg

Granted the front ones are tacky, but I think the original intention was like what they did on the inspiron series: where you could choose your color ahead of time and for custom colors/designs they would manufacture to order.

If that was the case they would REALLY stand out as far as phones go, Dell's a computer/laptop manufacturer of course, and this is pretty common as far as laptops go.

I'd personally rather the S5 had as many sold as the note, we'd get more devs by virtue of more users. Pretty much all our devs are kernel devs, we dont have much in the way of userland devs (which is a big part of porting a newer version of android)

Wonder if i dragged the thread off topic enough :D

sanyokt4j

Jun 28, 2011
Sacramento
Ugh now i want one in blue as well as white and purple...

The lack of devs is a bad thing but to be honest I'm still completely happy with the way my streak is right now(dsc 1.0), sure ICS would be great but its yet to be a deal breaker for me, plus I get people more amazed at the fact dell made phones than my buddy showing his note.

Thread is still somewhat on topic, there's about 9 more days of waiting for me to get the parts anyways, plus I'd just learned a few new things.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
For anyone that removed their innerSD for whatever reason: does the S5 'boot' without one in? By boot I mean get as far as loading the kernel. Obviously it wont boot all the way.

If I dont get a reply by then, could you try turning your S5 on without the innerSD installed and see what happens?
Since you're going to take yours apart then and will have easy access to the innerSD.

I dont expect it to harm your device or data (though you should make a nandroid just incase anyway).

Wonder how well matte blue would look, as those examples are all glossy or near glossy.

There's also the fact that smartphones are generally only available in black or white nowadays.
Granted they tend to be the best looking colors anyway, but dell coulda been on to something if they did them like laptops and had a whole slew of colors (even if you had to order them via their website because stores only carry a limited selection).
Too bad this didnt happen.

The S5 would definitely benefit from ICS, the S7 from 2.2 -> 3.2 was like night and day, I cant imagine using my S7 at all without HC since it's so much better.
The S5 could become a S7mini if it got ICS, the GNote in tablet mode is what I would use my S5 as if it had ICS.

Last edited:

sanyokt4j

Jun 28, 2011
Sacramento
I think I'll do you one better, I'll get it on video in case anything interesting happens. I think I have at the very least 20 gigs worth of nandroids from flashing different roms and trying to see which have the longest battery life.

Dell could've been onto something really good had they let you pick out a unique design or color.

crashDebug

Dec 23, 2008
Biella
you know what's tickling my fancy lately, I'd like to goto like, a lamborghini workshop (do they even exist?) and buy like a small can of that metallic orange or flashy green paint that they use for the Murcielagos. now THAT would rock.
and talking about innersd, since this thread is already the mother of offtopics and, ultimately, what the hell, we are too few to create actual clutter, I am looking for an innersd that came out of a streak, if anyone can help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know if this will help anyone, but I'd been wanting to make my black aws model into a white one for quite a while, now that I'd found a place that supplies them I wanted to share it with the rest of our community. Will report back on how it goes and quality of pieces once I get them.

http://www.acceport.com/dell-streak-mini-5.html