Z2 first impressions

Search This thread

lyubor

Aug 6, 2013
Leeuwarden
So today I got my new Z2 with NC headset and dock included and after being skeptical about the speakers and screen I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised. In the store the guy placed the m8 and Z2 next to each other and played the same file and I have to say I could barely tell the difference. Anyone who ever said that Z2 wasn't loud was wrong, at least that's what I experienced.
Then there's the screen, wow, just wow. Coming from the Xperia Z it's a huge step forward and I'm really pleased with the quality here. Awesome viewing angles so far.
It's really fast and smooth and so far I have 0 complaints. I have yet to take off the plastic wrapped around the phone, that is because I'm waiting for my skin to arrive for the back and I'm planning on keeping it as clean as possible till it gets here.

Well here are my first impressions, feel free to ask me anything. I'll be diving into this phone later today.

debrandman

Mar 16, 2014
So today I got my new Z2 with NC headset and dock included and after being skeptical about the speakers and screen I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised. In the store the guy placed the m8 and Z2 next to each other and played the same file and I have to say I could barely tell the difference. Anyone who ever said that Z2 wasn't loud was wrong, at least that's what I experienced.
Then there's the screen, wow, just wow. Coming from the Xperia Z it's a huge step forward and I'm really pleased with the quality here. Awesome viewing angles so far.
It's really fast and smooth and so far I have 0 complaints. I have yet to take off the plastic wrapped around the phone, that is because I'm waiting for my skin to arrive for the back and I'm planning on keeping it as clean as possible till it gets here.

Well here are my first impressions, feel free to ask me anything. I'll be diving into this phone later today.

How about call quality and overheating issue?

SexyIceCream

Oct 11, 2010

got mine yesterday. can't comment about call quality yet(i'm in the same situation as OP, waiting for my casing+screen protector lol) but i have played around with it. overheating does occur...esp with the camera app. Else normal fiddling around with the phone results in the back getting quite hot :eek:

Reactions: debrandman

lyubor

Aug 6, 2013
Leeuwarden
Started playing with my phone and there's no gap like other people reported in the 'gap thread'. Manufactured 14w16.
Just did a 4k video, aprrox 15 minutes later still no overheating, phone's a little warm but nothing scary. My old Z got way hotter and never shut down. So far I am not worried about long 4k videos.

Last edited:

SexyIceCream

Oct 11, 2010
Started playing with my phone and there's no gap like other people reported in the 'gap thread'. Manufactured 14w16.
Just did a 4k video, aprrox 15 minutes later still no overheating, phone's a little warm but nothing scary. My old Z got way hotter and never shut down. So far I am not worried about long 4k videos.

you are one of the few lucky ones...

goodpenguin

Mar 25, 2013
I never used the 4k recording yet so I can't comment on the overheating issues as well. It does get warm when the camera app is open for like 15-20min but not really hot. The only time it got very very very hot is when I'm playing Frozen Free Fall. That freakin game is such a resource hungry game! They should name that Molten instead.

Here are my minor issues encountered:

1. Slow to delete threads and messages. As in super duper slow to the point you think the sms app hanged. I plan to change sms app if this gets too annoying.
2. Tap vibration is unstable. I encountered once where the screen just started acting on its own, I suspect it's the vibrator that's screwing with the screen so I turned it off. Will observe if I encountered tap issues again. I enabled vibration while typing but I lowered the intensity to be sure. I also suspect the vibrator is screwing with the Tap to Wake function which is why it won't wake even if you tap multiple times. I will observe this further as well
3. Voice call quality lacks low frequency. Although the voice is clear but it sounds semi mono. But at least you can hear the voice clearly.
4. The screen brightness is not very bright nor dim. For me it's ok and I set it at 60% only as I'm not a fan of very bright screens.

The best part of the phone:
1. Screen. I guarantee that it is a major improvement from previous Xperia phones. Buyers won't regret it.
2. Stereo speakers. Better than I expected and loud enough to watch videos with friends. Buyers won't regret it as well
3. AR effects are the best! All of my friends wants to play with my phone because of it.
4. Camera is ok. For normal people it will do great and auto focus is fast so I don't think people will complain much about it. For enthusiast, Lumia is still better. But since there are many iphone users, the Z2 camera is an improvement in picture quality if they plan to shift to android.
5. LED lights are cool and useful, not annoying when sleeping as well. I will find a better app than LED manager to manage the colors. It reverts back to default white when the screen is locked and I want it to change colors for specific notifications.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

got mine yesterday. can't comment about call quality yet(i'm in the same situation as OP, waiting for my casing+screen protector lol) but i have played around with it. overheating does occur...esp with the camera app. Else normal fiddling around with the phone results in the back getting quite hot :eek: