[UPDATED]Recover your dead X8/W8.

Search This thread
B

B.Jay

thanks SquallDNA,heres a quote from unlocking.sony.com

That's what I was thinking just now ... the Neo V is a 2011 Xperia line device, so the boot loader unlock should be doable through the Sony site.

However, if the phone really turned into a hard brick due to whatever method SquallDNA used to unlock the boot loader (didn't even look into the Neo V boards so far) went wrong - either off to SE with the phone for repair, or in case that option is not viable research setool.net if there's a resurrection cable for the Neo V to resurrect it with setool2 - or some JTAG/Testpins method to pull it back out of Valhalla.

SquallDNA

Mar 1, 2012
thanks SquallDNA,heres a quote from unlocking.sony.com

http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/

TRY THIS for locked bootloaders - i couldnt dial the number below, the limit was the last *

thanks, i am aware of that, and yes, is says "YES" on it. my phone is a generic. but i followed a tut http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1409269 and it doesn't indicate anything about the date code of the battery, which sucks. now my phone is bricked. im trying to use UPDATE SERVICE now and currently downloading the firmware, but it occasionally aborts because my battery has been depleted and that there is no way i can charge it. :(

B

B.Jay

*Looks @SquallDNA's link*

Whoa! You Neo V guys actually need to perform the testpins stunt to unlock the boot loader? Now that's what I call a "bugger". Slip while connecting the pin to BAT- and no one knows what's going to happen with the hardware of the phone.

Anyway - if the Neo V is about the same as the X8 you actually don't need the battery in Flash Mode (the USB cable actually provides the voltage to power the phone), though I'm almost sure you will have fastboot from where you can get into Flash Mode/Download Mode.

But... since you are able to get SEUS recognizing the phone and even communicating with it... how could that be a hard brick?

A hard brick means that the phone (and now let us muse totally unrelated to any particular phone/brand) shows no sign of life anymore. It does not power on, it does not light up any LEDs, it does not talk to the computer anymore (through a normal USB connection), it does not show anything on the screen.

If SEUS is actually able to connect to your phone, then this isn't a hard brick.

SquallDNA

Mar 1, 2012
*Looks @SquallDNA's link*

Whoa! You Neo V guys actually need to perform the testpins stunt to unlock the boot loader? Now that's what I call a "bugger". Slip while connecting the pin to BAT- and no one knows what's going to happen with the hardware of the phone.

Anyway - if the Neo V is about the same as the X8 you actually don't need the battery in Flash Mode (the USB cable actually provides the voltage to power the phone), though I'm almost sure you will have fastboot from where you can get into Flash Mode/Download Mode.

But... since you are able to get SEUS recognizing the phone and even communicating with it... how could that be a hard brick?

A hard brick means that the phone (and now let us muse totally unrelated to any particular phone/brand) shows no sign of life anymore. It does not power on, it does not light up any LEDs, it does not talk to the computer anymore (through a normal USB connection), it does not show anything on the screen.

If SEUS is actually able to connect to your phone, then this isn't a hard brick.

ahmmmm. i didnt quite get what the 2nd paragraph means. tried to search on it and i found this: wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Fastboot and i find it to advance for me..

about the 3rd paragraph, man i hope you are right! the red led still blinks when on usb mode, but when i put it on the charger theres no light, so it kinda means that the device isn't charging.

since im using seus, during the download of the FW the phone must be connected, so when the green led turns off the program gives an error message, good thing though the FW download is cached so theres no need to start from the beginning.

B

B.Jay

In short:

On the W/X8, if you power off the phone and press the Back key while connecting the phone to the Computer it will "boot" into Flash Mode. The phone actually shows nothing at this point ... you'll only see that SEUS or Flashtool are able to communicate with the device through the "SEMC Flash Device" driver that pops into place when connecting the phone in this mode.

Fastboot (should actually exist on the 2011 phones, unless the Neo V is an exception) is a intermediate layer. When you connect the turned off phone with the back button being pressed it should first boot into "fastboot", which is a more advanced recovery (it should provide more means than plain Flash Mode to recover the phone).

Anyhow, while I don't know the Neo V the symptoms of a hard brick (no sign of life, no matter what you do) are actually the same across all possible manufacturers.

For example: If you dig up Adam's (AdamOutler) YouTube Videos where he demos his UnBrickable Mod ... the moment he turns the Captivate into a hard brick you clearly see that the phone is doing NOTHING anymore. Thanks to the hardware mod (the UnBrickable Mod) he performed on the device he's able to inject a new boot loader into the phone (as the hardware mod makes the CPU falling back to USB Boot Mode in case the boot loader is shot) to make it boot and then enter Flash Mode to restore the ROM.

Since you are getting a LED lighting up it's NOT dead -- see this link - a Neo that died after a OTA update and showed the exact same symptom as yours (visually "dead" though not dead and was recoverable).

Last edited:

SquallDNA

Mar 1, 2012
Neo v fixed after unlocking bootloader

In short:

On the W/X8, if you power off the phone and press the Back key while connecting the phone to the Computer it will "boot" into Flash Mode. The phone actually shows nothing at this point ... you'll only see that SEUS or Flashtool are able to communicate with the device through the "SEMC Flash Device" driver that pops into place when connecting the phone in this mode.

Fastboot (should actually exist on the 2011 phones, unless the Neo V is an exception) is a intermediate layer. When you connect the turned off phone with the back button being pressed it should first boot into "fastboot", which is a more advanced recovery (it should provide more means than plain Flash Mode to recover the phone).

Anyhow, while I don't know the Neo V the symptoms of a hard brick (no sign of life, no matter what you do) are actually the same across all possible manufacturers.

For example: If you dig up Adam's (AdamOutler) YouTube Videos where he demos his UnBrickable Mod ... the moment he turns the Captivate into a hard brick you clearly see that the phone is doing NOTHING anymore. Thanks to the hardware mod (the UnBrickable Mod) he performed on the device he's able to inject a new boot loader into the phone (as the hardware mod makes the CPU falling back to USB Boot Mode in case the boot loader is shot) to make it boot and then enter Flash Mode to restore the ROM.

Since you are getting a LED lighting up it's NOT dead -- see this link - a Neo that died after a OTA update and showed the exact same symptom as yours (visually "dead" though not dead and was recoverable).

hey thanks to all your response to my concern.. i was able to fix my brick using Flashtool and an ftf file i downloaded (SE NEO V 4.0.2.A.0.42 (OS 2.3.4) sourceforge.net/projects/seandroid/files/xperianeov/Firmwares/Ne0V_4.0.2.A.0.42.rar/download)
im so greatful i was able to fix it myself.. hehe :D

B

B.Jay

I cant seem to find a clear answer but does sim lock phones able to unlock BL?

Yes, but it depends on how it's simlocked - see this thread for further information.

Though keep this in mind: If you SIM unlocked your phone chances are it could revert back to the original SIM lock upon boot loader unlocking!

amnher

Yes, but it depends on how it's simlocked - see this thread for further information.

Though keep this in mind: If you SIM unlocked your phone chances are it could revert back to the original SIM lock upon boot loader unlocking!

My friend has no plan of sim umlocking the phone. All he wants is a new kernel

Sent from my E16i using xda premium

B

B.Jay

My friend has no plan of sim umlocking the phone. All he wants is a new kernel

The important line is this one here:
If the simlock certificate specified is NOT RECOGNIZED SIMLOCK CERTIFICATE, you can't unlock the bootloader of your phone. If you try, radio capability of your phone will be disabled
Take the added comment...
(this has been reported to be untrue by a number of people who claim to have unlocked bootloader successfully with msm7227_semc.cmd).
...with great caution! Better NOT to proceed in this case.

unxzyst

Mar 5, 2012
Hello there fellow XDA users!

This post is intended to point your attention to the simple fact that there's a hardware imposed danger to hard brick your Xperia X8 and W8, applies to E15i/a and E16i/a, at the attempt to unlock the boot loader!

The phones affected by the problem are units being manufactured at, and after, 11W29!

To check if your device is affected by the problem follow this simple steps:

1. Turn off the phone and open it up
  2. Take out the battery
  3. Look at the sticker below

If the date code on the sticker reads 11W29, or any later date (11W30, 11W31, 11W32, 11W33, ...), DO NOT attempt to unlock the boot loader.

These phones ship with a revamped chipset configuration having the security hole the boot loader unlock uses effectively closed. This means that upon unlocking the boot loader your phone will end up as a hard brick - and you will have NO means to revive the phone yourselves. You either have to send it off to Sony Ericsson for repair (recommended solution) or find a phone repair shop being able to resurrect shot devices!

The symptom you will experience when unlocking the boot loader on an affected device is like this:

• The boot loader unlock will most likely go through fine
  • At restart the phone will show NO signs of life anymore.
    NO LED, NO LCD output, NO vibration.

This is the point where you can not do anything anymore yourself to resurrect the device.

You have been warned, DO NOT TRY to unlock the boot loader on phones manufactured PAST 11W29!

Update (2012/02/23):

To clear up the "no means to resurrect the phone yourself": This is true unless you are a experienced electronics technician. If you own a JTAG box (RIFF Box, Medusa Box) you may attempt to resurrect the device through JTAG. It may also be possible to resurrect the device through UART flash by using a test pin connection. Google is your friend here to dig up the required informations.

As posted by baiclark: There's an option to unlock the boot loader on 11W29+ devices, though this involves some Software (setool2) where you need to buy credits to perform the unlock. This is an untested procedure. If you decide to jump the gun please report your experience.

mine was 11W17 is it safe for unlocking BL?

B

B.Jay

B.Jay said:
If the date code on the sticker reads 11W29, or any later date (11W30, 11W31, 11W32, 11W33, ...), DO NOT attempt to unlock the boot loader.
mine was 11W17 is it safe for unlocking BL?

Now let is do some math class...

12W0x <-- NOT good!
11W5x <-- NOT good!
11W4x <-- NOT good!
11W3x <-- NOT good!
11W32 <-- NOT good!
11W31 <-- NOT good!
11W30 <-- NOT good!
11W29 <-- NOT good!
11W17
11W02

Now here comes the question ...

Is 17, or 2, lower or higher than 29?

If it is LOWER you can try
If it is HIGHER you DO NOT try

Now take your calculators and solve that little problem. You can also put it this way ...

If having 29 apples is a bad thing and you only have 17 or 2 apples, would it be good you have less than 29 or would it be bad?

Last edited:

ulilalbab

Mar 8, 2012
Semarang
www.ulil.org
Now let is do some math class...

12W0x <-- NOT good!
11W5x <-- NOT good!
11W4x <-- NOT good!
11W3x <-- NOT good!
11W32 <-- NOT good!
11W31 <-- NOT good!
11W30 <-- NOT good!
11W29 <-- NOT good!
11W17
11W02

Now here comes the question ...

Is 17, or 2, lower or higher than 29?

If it is LOWER you can try
If it is HIGHER you DO NOT try

Now take your calculators and solve that little problem. You can also put it this way ...

If having 29 apples is a bad thing and you only have 17 or 2 apples, would it be good you have less than 29 or would it be bad?

lol.. thanks for your class.. :p:p

i ask that, because i still doubt to try unlock bootloader..:D:D:D (noob mode)

stupidho96

Dec 31, 2011
Seremban
my phone stuck at the alfs screen after reboot
im using GingerDX
i have checked the sticker and it's 11W10...
any way to fix my problem??

IHawkeyI

Mar 14, 2012
Rijeka
Hello,
I own an xperia x8 and the date is 11W46. I bricked it after I tried to unlock the bootloader. Now its just dead and it shows no reactions to anything. No vibration, No LED blinking. Cant boot it in flash mode. Nothing.
Read this thread too late now but I am just wondering if I cant unlock bootloader , does it mean I cant put the CyanogenMod 7 on my phone at all?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unbrick your briked X8/W8 via flashtools

Hi all
    I made this thread since some guys were having trouble unbricking their X8/W8 via FLASHTOOLS...

And let me make it clear that the following post wont help you if your phone has bricked in attempt to unlock your bootloader when your phones manufacturing code was above 11W29.
    In such a case the only (period) solution is to send it off to SONY to have it repaired.

How to unbrick your Soft Bricked phone..

What do you need?

Flashtools.(thanks to androxyde and bin4ry)
    X8 stock firmware.
    Or from here.
    Or here.

X8 drivers installed.
    WinRar
    Your X8/W8 phone
    A USB cable
    A PC
    Relaxed mind..:p

Now lets begin.

1.First of all download and install Flashtools from the link provided above.

2.Download SE firmware in *.ftf file format and put it in Flashtool/firmwares folder.

3. Now, run the FlashTool and click the
    jEaM4pePdBtS6.png
    Lighting bolt button to start flash.

4.Now click flashmode and choose Xperia X8 (E15i).
    02_Flash_Firmware_Choose.PNG

4.Now wait for a while till it says you to "remove your phone,press the back button and hold it and install the USB".
    04_Flash_Firmware_Back_key.PNG

Do it and wait for the flashing proceedure to finish...

05_Flash_Firmware_Flash.PNG

06_Flash_Firmware_Finish%20flashing.PNG

If everything works fine then CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! you have successfully unbricked your phone and installed the 2.1.1.A.0.6 version with 015 baseband, fresh and stock!

If your phone doesnt boots up still, then you might have gone wrong somewhere in the flashing process..
    So read the steps carefully and do it again..

[OPTIONAL STEP]
    Guide for installing the required drivers for flashing, skip this if you have PC Companion installed and connected your phone in flash mode at least once!

If your phone is not recognized by Flashtool that means you don’t have the required drivers installed.
    Open folder /Flashtool/drivers and install ggsetup-2.2.0.11

If after the above Flashtool still doesn’t recognize your phone, do the following:
    From Flashtool/drivers folder extract the zip file XXX_ADB_driver which corresponds to your phone model
    Open “Device manager” on the computer and find the device which is with an exclamation mark on it (do this with connected to the computer phone)
    Right click on the device and choose Uptade driver
    Choose to find the driver manually and browse to the folder where you’ve extracted the zip file.
    That should install the required drivers on your computer.

Now as you have successfully unbricked your phone, the first thing you would possibly do is rooting your phone...:p

So here i show you how to Root your phone with flashtools..

1.Start Flashtool

2.Connect the device to the computer and wait until it's recognized

3.Click the icon with the "Padlock [the second in a row]

4.FT will start pushing files, wait till it finishes. Meanwhile the phone will reboot once.
    07_Root.png

5.When it's over Flashtool will notify "Root Access Allowed"

6.Open the application list on the phone and look for the app "Superuser".
    08_Superuser.png

7.If "Superuser" is there you have Rooted your device successfully.
    Congrats!

That's it...........

If you found this thread useful don't forget to click the THANKS button for me...

Thanks to
    Bin4ry and androxyde..(for flashtools)
    crowds for the original guide..
    Leajian for allowing me to use content from his guide.
    BlackRabbit1703 for the mirror of firmware.
    And all the people who liked my work...

See ya..
    I hard bricked my friend's w8 last week by unlocking bootloader via mssm7227_semc because I forgot to check the manufacture date (clumsy me) .. it had 12W01 under the battery :silly:

So, I search around the internet, digging and reading many forum posts and articles and finally I managed to revive it with omnius (just revive it - never want to try unlock bootloader again on this unit because have no credit on my omnius acct plus had to lend him my hd2 as temporary phone - ouch) .... I had to get a nokia ca-42 cable and build a UART cable out of it (my cable only has 3 wire so it helps me find the rx,tx and gnd quickly). With the help of omnius (I have one month license but no credit - so I guess one day license should be sufficient), I use repair s1-boot function with testpoint and manage to fix it after 2nd attempt. :victory:

Therefore, if anyone had hard brick x8/w8 after unlocking bootloader, you can try repair s1-boot with omnius. The only difficult thing to do is to solder those wires to the board (I tried using tape but didn't work for me - suspect loose connection)

below is the log from omnius (for safety purpose, I remove imei and device id from the log):

Code:
    Action journal
    11:21:36   Repair S1-boot
    11:21:36   Repairs the S1-boot via UART.
    11:21:36   Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    11:21:36   Application version: 1.38.4753
    11:21:36 . The action name is 'Repair'
    11:21:36   Selected phone type: W8 Walkman.
    11:21:36   Selected connection method: UART ROM
    11:21:36 i Instructions
    11:21:36 i 1. Make sure the phone battery is charged to at least 50%.
    11:21:36 i 2. Switch off the phone!
    11:21:36 i 3. Remove the phone battery and wait at least 5 seconds, then insert the battery back to the phone!
    11:21:36 i 4. Connect UART pins according to the documentation!
    11:21:36 i 5. Connect the testpoint to phone's ground (battery negative pole, metallic circuit shielding, GND) and leave it connected!
    11:21:36 i 6. (A connection to the testpoint (TP) is not needed when the boot is erased.)
    11:21:36 i 7. Shortly press the power button!
    11:21:36 i 8. Disconnect the testpoint!
    11:21:36 i 9. Click Activate next to the cable icon!
    11:21:36 . The action started waiting for the user
    11:22:07 . The action finished waiting for the user
    11:22:07   Connecting via PL-2303 USB Serial Port (COM24)...
    11:22:07   Device driver version: 2.1.30.193
    11:22:07   Establishing connection to the phone...
    11:22:07   Connection established.
    11:22:07   ID: 06010080900000
    11:22:08   Sending loader...
    11:22:12   Waiting for loader response...
    11:22:14   Sending loader...
    11:22:23   Waiting for loader response...
    11:22:24   IMEI: - remove -
    11:22:24   Device ID: - remove -
    11:22:24   Minimum loader AID: 0001
    11:22:24   Color: Brown
    11:22:25 i Waiting for connection to the server...
    11:22:29   Receiving news...
    11:22:29 i News
    11:22:29 i Omnius for Samsung v1.18 - Experimental unlock code read for Samsung Galaxy S II and similar, FREE
    during test period
    11:22:29 i Omnius 1 Year licenses purchased after 1st Oct 2011 now gained
    unlimited android unlocking!
    11:22:34   Writing S1 boot.
    11:22:50 s Successfully done.
    11:22:50 . The action entered shutdown phase
    11:22:50 . The action reported success

Additional details
    ---
    16 40 F8 B0 DF 9A 0F B4 83 80 C5 D8 C9 16 E3 CD 
    E5 08

only using 4 wires (3 from ca-42 and 1 loose wire for test point) + omnius account, no need jtag/box. no need micro usb too.

4 - Testpoint - loose wire to ground (I tape it to sim holder and release after pressing power button)
    5 - ignore this - no need to attach wire
    6 - TX from ca-42
    7 - RX from ca-42
    8 - GND from ca-42

Try disconnect the ca-42 cable from the usb first before removing the battery after it's finished because on my 1st attempt, the battery fell off while ca-42 cable still plugged in usb resulting no boot. (no idea if it was because of the battery or my mistake)

Once the phone is detected after plugging in the micro usb cable, I simply flash the original 2.1 fw (can download from omnius server if you don't have it - need to use omnius acct detail to login and download). I did this to check if all the functions are good (wifi/signal/camera/gps/etc), then proceed with rooting and install recovery.

Now the phone is alive again with locked bootloader (as long as it's not broken, it's good enough) and currently running gingerdx v028b fw .. horaaayyyy!

My special thanks to Omnius for wonderful software solution and to gingerdx team for wonderful fw that can run on stock kernel.

Wish you all the best in reviving your hard bricked x8/w8 :)

attach is how to connect wires + test point :
    Hello there fellow X8/W8 users!

This post is intended to point your attention to the simple fact that there's a hardware imposed danger to hard brick your Xperia X8 and W8, applies to E15i/a and E16i/a, at the attempt to unlock the boot loader!

The phones affected by the problem are units being manufactured at, and after, 11W29!

To check if your device is affected by the problem follow this simple steps:

1. Turn off the phone and open it up
    2. Take out the battery
    3. Look at the sticker below

These phones ship with a revamped chipset configuration having the security hole the boot loader unlock uses effectively closed. This means that upon unlocking the boot loader your phone will end up as a hard brick - and you will have NO means to revive the phone yourselves. You either have to send it off to Sony for repair (recommended solution) or find a phone repair shop being able to resurrect shot devices!

The symptom you will experience when unlocking the boot loader on an affected device is like this:

• The boot loader unlock will most likely go through fine
    • At restart the phone will show NO signs of life anymore.
      NO LED, NO LCD output, NO vibration.

This is the point where you can not do anything anymore yourself to resurrect the device.

You have been warned, DO NOT TRY to unlock the boot loader on phones manufactured PAST 11W29!

But it has been seen that there are few devices with manufacturing code above 11W29 have also successfully unlocked their bootloader.
    For example me,i have 11W34 and unlocked the bootloader just fine..
    But let me remind you again that this was just a matter of luck.
    You might not be so lucky...

Also if you have manufacturing code above 11W29 and are desperate to unlock your bootloader then there are paid methods for it as reported by few users who had successfully unlocked their bootloader with manufacturing date above 11W29.

Update (2012/02/23):

To clear up the "no means to resurrect the phone yourself": This is true unless you are a experienced electronics technician. If you own a JTAG box (RIFF Box, Medusa Box) you may attempt to resurrect the device through JTAG. It may also be possible to resurrect the device through UART flash by using a test pin connection. Google is your friend here to dig up the required informations.

As posted by baiclark: There's an option to unlock the boot loader on 11W29+ devices, though this involves some Software (setool2) where you need to buy credits to perform the unlock. This is an untested procedure. If you decide to jump the gun please report your experience.

Update: Home-Brew unbricking with Omnius
    Forum member aze2learn posted a guide about how to unbrick your hard bricked W8/X8 by using a modified Nokia CA-42 cable and Omnius. Find his valuable contribution at this post.

/!\ Be warned that this requires basic electronics skills to make it happen. /!\
    have any one know how to unlock BL 11w48?
    I have my X8 12w05 with Android 2.1... and really need upgrade to any upper version. Somebody could post any rom (link) for install rom with locked bootloader.

Thx

Search in google:roms,kernels x8 xda.on the site there is a list of roms.on the right of rom name says(stock)-stock kernel-YOUR KERNEL,(nAa)-nAa kernel,...BUT FIRST ROOT THE PHONE,INSTALL CWM RECOVERY AND THEN TRY INSTALLING.NOO NEED FOR BOOTLOADER UNLOCK.

EDIT

Ok,download this http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=729395&d=1316853490 ,then download root explorer,install it and extract the downloaded zip,then go to extracted and open the folder of extracted zip.open the system,then bin folder and copy all three of them to system/bin and replace with existing files.BUT FIRST MOUNT R/W-LITTLE BUTTON TOP RIGHT.then long press on chargemon and select permissions.select:read,write,execute,read,execute,read,execute.save.DO that to other 2 you pasted witlh chargemon.after that,return to sd card,speed software,extracted,cwm folder and go to system,xbin and copy the sh to system/xbin and replace.you will have to copy sh again because system rejects it the first time:no free memory left.after you copyed sh again,change its permissions to read,write,execute,read,execute,read,execute.then reboot and rapidly press the back button when white Sony ericsson logo appears.

PRESS THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU,IT ISNT HARD..