[Q] How to update to ICS on an unbranded phone

Search This thread

aswmaster

Apr 7, 2012
Szombathely
Hallo Guys,

I bought an Amaze few days ago, has GB on it and i'd like to update it to ICS. I purchased the phone in Europe (Hungary) as brand new, carrier free (unbranded) & SIM free, actually I use a Vodafone SIM card in it.

I tried to update the phone in the About Phone menu --> Software Updates, but no updates available.

I've reed the following post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1637314
and downloaded this ROM: RUBY_ICS_35_S_TMOUS_2.14.531.3_Radio_1.14.550L.17D C_30.78.550L.15_release. As I got it right I have to rename this to PH85IMG.zip, place on SD card, boot to bootloader and the rest will be done automatically.
I proceed accordingly but the phone sais that the phone type is incorrect. So i didn't got updated my phone.

I've checked lot of posts but didn't find any info regarding unbranded Amaze ICS update. If is it not necessary I don't wanna root the phone, only to got ICS update.

Attached you can find a picture abot my phone's bootloader.

The actually software status is the following:
Android version: 2.3.4
HTC Sense version: 3.0
Software nr: 1.60.707.3
Kernel: 2.6.35.13-g4a1059e
htc-kernel@u18000-build-144 #1
SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 21 17:44:59 CST 2012
Baseband version: 1.13.550L.13DC_30.69b.550L.101D
Build nr: 1.60.707.3 CL324941 release-keys

Please help me to have a suitable solution on this problem! Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMAG0192.jpg
    IMAG0192.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 722

aswmaster

Apr 7, 2012
Szombathely
Hi. Thanks for your replay. I didn't understand this exactly: "so you get where I'm going with this right?"

I used ADB on my previous phone (HTC Desire), but I'm not an expert, just followed some descriptions in a post.

So it's easy to perform the ICS update with this bootloader? How can I do that?

Dark Nightmare

Aug 5, 2011
WhereEverMyFeetAre
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hi. Thanks for your replay. I didn't understand this exactly: "so you get where I'm going with this right?"

I used ADB on my previous phone (HTC Desire), but I'm not an expert, just followed some descriptions in a post.

So it's easy to perform the ICS update with this bootloader? How can I do that?

Nope, it won't be easy, what I'm saying is, your devices bootloader version is the version that you get when you update to ICS. Therefore it's kind of saying your device is already on ICS, but you say it's GB, If you know how to at least browse with cmd to your adb folder, then boot your phone into bootloader, choose the fastboot option, then on your pc and use the command: fastboot getvar cid and let me know what it says, that way I can tell you if we have any kind of files for your device or if you'll have to s-off in order for you to get the ICS software update on your device.

Reactions: sam@xda29

aswmaster

Apr 7, 2012
Szombathely
Hi. Many thanks for your kind help! I try to perform your instructions and let you know the result :)
Until that I made 2 shots about the actual system.

Attachments

• IMAG0198.jpg
    IMAG0198.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 520
  • IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0199.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 480

aswmaster

Apr 7, 2012
Szombathely

Attachments

• cid.jpg
    cid.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 323

aswmaster

Apr 7, 2012
Szombathely
hallo Guys.

Earlier I done s-off & root on a HTC Desire with Revolutionary. Now I have a HTC Desire HD, here I also did s-off & root with Advanced Ace Hack Kit but after that I was stupid and tried to perform eng s-off (as I remember with one click something) and my phone died (I had a friend in the store and he has taken care on a main borad change as a warranty repair).
Now I bought this Amaze phone for my wife and I don't wanna kill also :)

Honestly I do not know what this bootloader unlock is because before I do not neeed this process. Some questions regarding those what I do not see clearly:
- I don't know what is this CID HTC_044. Why can I not simply have the OTA update in my phones menu?
- It is dangerous to perform s-off (hope not eng s-off only "normal"), supercid & T-mobile RUU? Besides now this phone is SIM free. If I would perform all these things then after T-Mobile RUU would be the phone still SIM-free?

Dark Nightmare

Aug 5, 2011
WhereEverMyFeetAre
Google Pixel 6 Pro
hallo Guys.

Earlier I done s-off & root on a HTC Desire with Revolutionary. Now I have a HTC Desire HD, here I also did s-off & root with Advanced Ace Hack Kit but after that I was stupid and tried to perform eng s-off (as I remember with one click something) and my phone died (I had a friend in the store and he has taken care on a main borad change as a warranty repair).
Now I bought this Amaze phone for my wife and I don't wanna kill also :)

Honestly I do not know what this bootloader unlock is because before I do not neeed this process. Some questions regarding those what I do not see clearly:
- I don't know what is this CID HTC_044. Why can I not simply have the OTA update in my phones menu?
- It is dangerous to perform s-off (hope not eng s-off only "normal"), supercid & T-mobile RUU? Besides now this phone is SIM free. If I would perform all these things then after T-Mobile RUU would be the phone still SIM-free?

Because your device does not have an ics update, the only way you can use the T-Mobile ruu is by s-off then supercid, every device had a cid that is written inside of it, T-Mobile cid and your cid are not the same, therefore you cannot use the tmobile file. You have to unlock your boot loader if you intent to modifiy the device in any way. If you read and research a bit, watch some videos and learn your way around this device, it wouldn't be anything complex.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: sam@xda29

aswmaster

Apr 7, 2012
Szombathely
Because your device does not have an ics update, the only way you can use the T-Mobile ruu is by s-off then supercid, every device had a cid that is written inside of it, T-Mobile cid and your cid are not the same, therefore you cannot use the tmobile file. You have to unlock your boot loader if you intent to modifiy the device in any way. If you read and research a bit, watch some videos and learn your way around this device, it wouldn't be anything complex.

OK, I understand. Then I will research and learn about these procedures. Just 2 short question? If I perform all these with T-Mobile will my phone still SIM free? And (maybe stupid) question, this CID is written as a hardware info in the device? I mean there is no way to change only this and after that just use the phone's update menu for ICS?

Dark Nightmare

Aug 5, 2011
WhereEverMyFeetAre
Google Pixel 6 Pro
OK, I understand. Then I will research and learn about these procedures. Just 2 short question? If I perform all these with T-Mobile will my phone still SIM free? And (maybe stupid) question, this CID is written as a hardware info in the device? I mean there is no way to change only this and after that just use the phone's update menu for ICS?

Yes,it will still be sim free. No you can't just change the CID, to do this you must first disable the security protecting it.

aswmaster

Apr 7, 2012
Szombathely
Hallo Guys,

So far I've done w/ the followings:
1 - unlocked bootloader (w/ HTCDev)
2 - installed custom recovery: clockwork-5.0.2.6-ruby.img (w/ Hasoon2000's Amaze_All-In-One_Kit_V3.2)
3- rooted (w/ Hasoon2000's Amaze_All-In-One_Kit_V3.2)

Now I'd like to do the S-OFF and before perform this I have here a short question. I've unpacked the ControlBearRelease_ruby_GB_WIN.zip and seen a file: hboot_8x60-lte_1.90.0008_20111101_signedbyaa.nb0
additional to that an info file writed inside
modelid: PH8511000
cidnum: T-MOB010
mainver: 1.43.531.3
hbootpreupdate:12
DelCache:1
DelFat:0

As you know my phone is unbranded & my actual bootloader version is 1.92.0000
So at this point I'm not sure but I think that JuopunutBear S-OFF would "downgrade" my bootloader? Would it be normal, will it not brick my phone?

Dark Nightmare

Aug 5, 2011
WhereEverMyFeetAre
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hallo Guys,

So far I've done w/ the followings:
1 - unlocked bootloader (w/ HTCDev)
2 - installed custom recovery: clockwork-5.0.2.6-ruby.img (w/ Hasoon2000's Amaze_All-In-One_Kit_V3.2)
3- rooted (w/ Hasoon2000's Amaze_All-In-One_Kit_V3.2)

Now I'd like to do the S-OFF and before perform this I have here a short question. I've unpacked the ControlBearRelease_ruby_GB_WIN.zip and seen a file: hboot_8x60-lte_1.90.0008_20111101_signedbyaa.nb0
additional to that an info file writed inside
modelid: PH8511000
cidnum: T-MOB010
mainver: 1.43.531.3
hbootpreupdate:12
DelCache:1
DelFat:0

As you know my phone is unbranded & my actual bootloader version is 1.92.0000
So at this point I'm not sure but I think that JuopunutBear S-OFF would "downgrade" my bootloader? Would it be normal, will it not brick my phone?

Once you've accomplished s-off, you can upgrade or downgrade your bootloader without bricking it.

Top Liked Posts