Maxx stuck boot looping

Search This thread

uniqueflips

Mar 19, 2009
Hey Guys,

I rooted my device a while ago and everyday had to dismiss the OTA update for the last few months. The other night I accidentally accepted the OTA and know my phone is stuck in a bootloop when connected to power. I'm occasionally able to get into Fastboot mode for RSD to see the phone, ADB will not see the phone. When I attempt to select Recovery or Factory the phone bootloops. I have also tried House of Moto and that didn't work.I have tried flashing all the files located at sbf with no luck. In Fastboot the Device is listed as UNLOCKED with a Status Code: 1.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

When I flash using House of Moto I get an error for the following:
gpt.bin
motoboot.img
logo.bin
boot.img
recovery.img
system.img
NON-HLOS.bin

Last edited:

jaydotelloh

Apr 23, 2010
Hey Guys,

I rooted my device a while ago and everyday had to dismiss the OTA update for the last few months. The other night I accidentally accepted the OTA and know my phone is stuck in a bootloop when connected to power. I'm occasionally able to get into Fastboot mode for RSD to see the phone, ADB will not see the phone. When I attempt to select Recovery or Factory the phone bootloops. I have also tried House of Moto and that didn't work.I have tried flashing all the files located at sbf with no luck. In Fastboot the Device is listed as UNLOCKED with a Status Code: 1.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

When I flash using House of Moto I get an error for the following:
gpt.bin
motoboot.img
logo.bin
boot.img
recovery.img
system.img
NON-HLOS.bin

Does it ever actually boot up and then just restarts? Or are you never getting to the homescreen?

uniqueflips

Mar 19, 2009
no home screen

Hi,
It won't even boot loop unless it's connected to power. When it is it just boot loops, tried everything but can't get past the boot loop. Spent countless hours trying to make any progress.

asuhoops8628

Nov 9, 2011
try flashing TWRP from fastboot
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery name.img

if you get into recovery try restoring a nandroid

if that doesnt work, make sure you are flashing the appropriate SBF from the update you were in teh process of taking. My bet is somehow your device got partially updated (bootloader) so you are now unable to flash the SBF you were prevously on. ie. you were on 4.2.2, and took the 4.4 update, you need to flash the SBF for 4.4, not 4.2.2

jaydotelloh

Apr 23, 2010
Once you get back up and running, make sure you disable the Moto OTA app using titanium or the like. That should prevent the phone from trying to take an update again.

uniqueflips

Mar 19, 2009
Still no luck

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm not sure which firmware it was trying to install so I installed all the firmwares available via House of Moto and still no luck. Tried performing a Full and Keep Data and still the phone will continue to boot loop. One thing I did notice during the install using House of Moto I see the following error multiple times:
(bootloader) Variable not supported!
I got this error on all 5 firmwares.
Any ideas...

asuhoops8628

Nov 9, 2011
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm not sure which firmware it was trying to install so I installed all the firmwares available via House of Moto and still no luck. Tried performing a Full and Keep Data and still the phone will continue to boot loop. One thing I did notice during the install using House of Moto I see the following error multiple times:
(bootloader) Variable not supported!
I got this error on all 5 firmwares.
Any ideas...

what version of android were you on prior to this happening. What version was the OTA attempting to update you to?

uniqueflips

Mar 19, 2009
I think I was on Android 4.4 Blur_Version.19.5.3.obake_verizon.Verizon.en.US, not 100% sure what it was trying to install 4.4.4 or 4.4 19.6.3.
Tried House of Moto again and on the 4.2.2 12.15.15 and 4.4.4 I don't get the (bootloader) Variable not supported! error. The phone still boot loops.

asuhoops8628

Nov 9, 2011
I think I was on Android 4.4 Blur_Version.19.5.3.obake_verizon.Verizon.en.US, not 100% sure what it was trying to install 4.4.4 or 4.4 19.6.3.
Tried House of Moto again and on the 4.2.2 12.15.15 and 4.4.4 I don't get the (bootloader) Variable not supported! error. The phone still boot loops.

have you tried with the latest version of RSD lite?

If so make sure you edit the XML file to remove the part about erasing userdata

lets try this too... go to sbf.droid-developers.org and download this file for the maxx "Android 4.4.4
Blur_Version.21.11.21.obake_verizon.Verizon.en.US"

Install the latest moto device manager and RSD lite, then try flashing (might erase userdata)

If that does not work, you can manually flash each file in fastboot, lmk if any of that works

last Q, do you have a motorola factory cable?

Last edited:

uniqueflips

Mar 19, 2009
Tried with and without removing the getvar file and no luck, still stuck in an endless boot loop when connected to power. ADB still doesn't see the device even in Fastboot mode. Never flashed each file in fastboot individual doesn't that require ADB?

asuhoops8628

Nov 9, 2011
Tried with and without removing the getvar file and no luck, still stuck in an endless boot loop when connected to power. ADB still doesn't see the device even in Fastboot mode. Never flashed each file in fastboot individual doesn't that require ADB?

no you dont use adb from fastboot, you use "fastboot"

Lets see if we can get you booted to a recovery. Download this file, save it as recovery.img in your ADB directory.

boot to fastboot and run this command to determine fastboot sees the device

Code:
fastboot devices

If you see your device, then run the next command

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

then try to boot to recovery. post result (make sure when you highlight "recovery" in fastboot you use volume up to select it. I just made the mistake of using power and my phone wouldnt boot to recovery)

Last edited: