[26/7][XXKG3] VillainROM 2.3 for SGS2 < The ROM Noonski couldn't drain the battery on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
How to Flash VillainROM?

Step 1- flashing cf-root.
- If you have already flashed cf-root then move onto step 2.

First things first, check what stock rom you are on, go to menu > settings > about and look for key phrases like "KE2" or "KE4" etc this is your kernel number. Make sure this is not the number in the "baseband" line as this is your MODEM version (radio) not kernel.

Then go to this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399 and download the kernel for the same version type as you just identified, once downloaded extract from the .zip so you have the .tar file.

Download ODIN if you have not already done so, also in that thread above and extract from the zip.

Install samsung KIES from this link (for drivers) - http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/m...softwaremanual.do?page=MOBILE.SOFTWARE.MANUAL

Once you have done all this power down your phone and then power back on in download mode. To do this you need to turn the phone on by pressing volume down, home and power all at the same time. You will get a screen asking you to press volume up to confirm.

Now plug your phone into your PC and let it install the drivers.

You are now ready to open ODIN.

Go to the "PDA" box and direct it to the .tar file of the CF-ROOT kernel you downloaded then hit "START". DO NOT TICK OR UNTICK ANY BOXES LEAVE IT AS IT WAS BY DEFAULT.

Once complete the phone will reboot, you can now unplug it, you have root on a stock rom.

Step 2- How to install VillainRom

WARNING, DOING THIS YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA (that includes apps and sms's, call logs etc etc) BACKUP OR BE PREPARED TO LOSE THEM

Download the latest VillainRom this is a .zip file DO NOT EXTRACT IT!!.

Plug your phone into your pc and place this .zip file onto the root of your internal (or external) SD card.

Once down, unmount, unplug from your PC and then turn off the phone.

Boot into ClockWorkMod recovery by powering on with volume UP, home and power held.

Go to BACKUP and run a backup

Once this is done go to "wipe data/factory reset" then do "wipe cache".

Now you need to go "Install Zip from SD" find your .zip file of VillainRom and flash.

Once complete you can reboot the phone, you will be on VillainRom.

If for some strange reason you get stuck into a boot loop (meaning its taking longer than 10 minutes to boot into the rom) you will need to hold power till the phone turns off, boot into CWM and repeat the wipe and flashing steps above.

Step 3 - Updating CF-ROOT Kernel

Now you are on VillainRom you will need to update the kernel to match the rom. At the time of writing this is the KG1 kernel (but check in IRC or on the rom post if your not sure). This time you will want to keep this as a .zip file.

First of all, install VRTweaks from http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/4570-(updated)-VillainTweaks-v1.3.1-(29-May), and install it.

Place the CF-ROOT .zip file onto your phone and then open the "CWM" app, once open go to "flash kernel" and point it to that .zip file.

The phone will reboot.

STEP 4 (OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED) - UPDATE MODEM

Download the reccomended modem from the rom thread this will be a tar.md5 file DO NOT RENAME IT (it may be in a .zip, if so extract it)

Put your phone into download mode and open Odin.

Click "PHONE" and guide it to the tar.md5 file

Press Start

Phone will reboot and your done

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Frequently Asked Questions?

Thanks to geko95gek for helping to make this FAQ up. You can see the full FAQ at http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/s...ease-Read-Carefully-Before-Posting-Questions-!!

VillainROM for SGS2

Frequently asked questions about VillainROM for the SGS2

Q: After flashing this ROM, I am stuck on the VillainROM welcome screen.

A: Reboot into recovery (CWM) by turning off the phone, and holding down power + home + volume up. Now choose Wipe data/factory reset, and then re-install the ROM.

-----

Q: After flashing the stock kernel, I cannot use WiFi.

A: You need to reflash CF-Root kernel, in order to get WiFi working.

-----

Q: Where can I get VRTweaks from?

A: Here - VRTweaks

-----

Q: How can I remove the yellow triangle on boot?

A:

After flashing VR1.4, boot to system and install VRTweaks from here - VRTweaks.
Run the VRTweaks app and Install the Symlink Fix, reboot.
Now boot into Download Mode, flash any Stock kernel with ODIN. Wait for phone to reboot.
Go into the CWM app and flash the zImage extracted from any CF-Root kernel zip/tar.
Your phone should now reboot and voila, the triangle is gone.

Mini guide by geko95gek_xda

-----

Q: How do I flash a MODEM/Radio?

A: Flash it via ODIN, as a "PHONE" file. Do not rename the .tar.md5

-----

Q: After flashing VillainROM my browser is lagging, how can I fix it?

A: Download VRTweaks and apply the Browser fix, reboot phone.

-----

Q: Where do I find a CSC to restore T-9, Auto-Correct or to add additional Input Languages?

A: You have to get and flash a CSC package from here - Intratech's XDA Thread

-----

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Quadrant and some "other" ROMs

So it seems that a couple of ROM "chefs" thought it was a good idea to sneak in a script to cheat their quadrant benchmark results... Both Lite'ning ROM, and AngeloROM are giving deceiving quadrant scores.

Quadrant isn't an amazing benchmark for the SGS2, as it's not properly multi-threaded, but I think it's worth explanining what was going on here. Both of the named ROMs are using an init.d script to detect Quadrant, and mount its files to a ramdisk, meaning that IO performance is not being measured accurately. This can give the undiscerning user a very high Quadrant score (in excess of 6000 in some cases).

What does this mean? Absolutely nothing. But it's essentially a sign that the maker of that ROM does not see fit to be honest with you. Can you trust someone who would rather boost their "e-peen" by deceiving you, rather than forego the e-peen extension, and instead be honest about the performance of your ROM.

Just think... If a ROM dev is happy to hide code to cheat Quadrant scores, and deceive you in that way, in what other ways might they also be deceiving you?

And for the avoidance of doubt, VillainROM does not, and will not, make use of dodgy "cheating" methods to fool you into thinking you have higher benchmark scores than you do... It's not cool, it's not something you expect to see from a "developer", who should be someone trustworthy, given the level of trust you are giving them by installing a ROM they make.

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
So without further ado, VillainROM 2.3 can be downloaded from this linkhttp://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/s...nROM-2.3-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-(2.3.4-time)

If you are after a light version of the old VillainROM 2.0 by Gilg@mesh, download from http://www.multiupload.com/6OEDBEYO01

After installing, I recommend you flash the XXKG3 modem, which you can download from this link: http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/4942-ROM-VillainROM-2.3-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-(2.3.4-time))

Got questions? Need help? Go to http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/IRC.php or get in touch with one of our helpful helpers (whose assistance in clearing the tidal waves of questions is very much appreciated)

geko95gek

(any other helpers wanting added, just get in touch with geko95gek or one of the VR guys on IRC (link above))

Last edited:

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator
VRTweaks collection

-------VRTweaks for VillainROM-------

Latest VRTweaks app can be sourced from this link - VRTweaks

Here is a list of all available modifications in VRTweaks:

For VR 2.1 & VR 2.3 (currently active)

MOD - Advanced Power Menu + KJay's Battery Mod (2 parts, install both before rebooting)
Author - kahvitahra

MOD - MIUI-inspired theme (2 parts, please install both parts before rebooting)
Author - Mr. Megi

MOD - No increasing ringtone volume

MOD - Restore VillainROM Bootanimation

MOD - Enable HTC headphone button support
Author - paalkr

MOD - Stop home button waking the phone
Author - paalkr

MOD - Stop power button waking the phone (noonski's request)

MOD - UNTESTED, Swype with some other language support (2 parts, install both before rebooting). Not recommended unless your language is missing.

MOD - Remove SMS/MMS limit, sent time instead of received time
Author - muveszur/coudu

MOD - CirclesMod blue (2 parts, install both before rebooting)
Author - Hoolm

MOD - CirclesMod green (2 parts, install both before rebooting)
Author - Hoolm

MOD - Green status bar icons + transparent notification bar + no battery full notification
Author - Rawat/Pulser

MOD - Prevent notification and vibration when fully charged.

MOD - CRT Effect, also low battery will be orange then red.
Author - Rawat

--------------------------

For VR 2.0 (currently active)

MOD - Prevent notification and vibration when fully charged:

MOD - Browser Lag Removal
Author - Designgears

MOD - Samsung Apps UNA Service Update

MOD - Vanilla Android Email Client (has minor UI glitch) (not a Gmail client)

MOD - Vanilla Calendar Client (2 Parts, install both before rebooting)

MOD - CRT Animation Enabler

MOD - Remove SMS/MMS limit, add more smilies
Author - Padlad

MOD - Remove SMS/MMS limit, sent time instead of received time, remove limits etc...
Author - muveszur/coudu

MOD - Enable HTC headphone button support
Author - paalkr

MOD - Stop home button waking the phone
Author - paalkr

MOD - Stop power button waking the phone
Author - paalkr

MOD - Disable increasing ring volume
Author - www1

MOD - Prevent logging of SMS/MMS to call log
Author - jufo

MOD - Advanced Power Menu + CRT animation + Overscroll + Jkay's Green Battery (3 parts, install all parts before rebooting)
Author - kahvitahra

MOD - Advanced Power Menu + CRT animation + No Overscroll + Jkay's Green Battery (3 parts, install all parts before rebooting)
Author - kahvitahra

MOD - Madmack's Arabic Support (4 parts, install all parts before rebooting)
Author - Madmack

MOD - Madmack's Arabic Support in Browser (2 parts, Untested, install all parts before rebooting)
Author - Madmack

MOD - CirclesMod Blue (2 parts, install all parts before rebooting)
Author - Hoolm

MOD - CirclesMod Green (2 parts, install all parts before rebooting)
Author - Hoolm

MOD - Nobnut's Theme, Advanced Power Menu + Status Bar (4 parts, install all parts before rebooting)
Author - Nobnut

MOD - Swype keyboard with some other language support (2 parts, install all parts before rebooting, not recommended unless your language is missing)

MOD - Restore VillainROM Bootanimation

---

Catalogue will be updated when new tweaks are added.

g95g

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Battery Life?

attachment.php

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Super happy fun times

Welcome to post 5. If you are about to say "this isn't post 5 - this is post 8", then you are wrong, I'm afraid... It's actually post 5... Look, it just is... :)

If there is a post requiring special attention due to the fact it highlights the reasons for searching this thread before posting, then it will be drawn to attention here, in post 5 (;))

Last edited:
Reactions: rmourar and Ghashul

t0ph0id

Apr 3, 2010
Bristol
Will give this a go as soon as my phone turns up from Vodafone UK...

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App

Fysi

Feb 13, 2010
Cheers Pulser.

While it downloads, I'll get ADB ready for when I break it ;-)

Edit: Just to point out that the break comment is based on me having a certain knack at the moment for breaking stuff, and is an IRC joke :p

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Alright folks. I was off eating breakfast ;)

This ROM is XWKE2, it's rooted, and it has the stock kernel. Unless you are developing or need something else, this kernel will do you fine, as the underlying ROM is rooted ;)

It's fully deodexed, and I've resigned all the Samsung and stock applications with a new key-set, so that it's much easier to make modifications to the apps in future. Villain Tweaks was a project of mine to "test the water" for modifying the apps in the SGS 2 ROMs. I hit issues I couldn't get around, since the pre-installed apps were signed by Samsung.

This means that I can now edit the apps on the phone to apply all sorts of tweaks and "hacks", like the ones I've done so far, but with greater scope as to which files can be modified. For example, I've got a messaging app here (Mms.apk), which should let you send 10 SMS messages together without converting it to an MMS, and allow 200 recipients of an SMS, rather than ten.

But in order for me to release such changes (which a number of people were requesting), I need to have the signing keys used for the applications. So since it's a re-signed ROM, it's nice and easy to release tweaks.

So, tl;dr?

ROM itself is rooted
XWKE2 deodexed firmware
Re-signed to permit much greater scope for tweaks
Stock "touchwiz"
No bootsound

The fun starts once people are using this, and we can have more control over the ROM itself... I'll look at some more of my "to-do" things soon enough anyway, including enabling init.d on the stock kernel, and a few other things...

Last edited:

4305ms

Aug 20, 2010
Gothenburg
Nice work!
Downloading...

Just to be sure:
Using Odin3 v.185
No re-partition, no nothing except pda, auto reboot and reset time checked?

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Nice work!
Downloading...

Just to be sure:
Using Odin3 v.185

Yes, exactly the same process as installing a kernel from Chainfire, or a stock ROM. I'll take a screenie of what it will look like, though I don't have a phone connected to mine, so it might look a little different.

Reactions: 4305ms

Fysi

Feb 13, 2010
Nice work!
Downloading...

Just to be sure:
Using Odin3 v.185

Yep. Just as it should start.

Also, just to point out, you don't need to backup but it's always good to.

Just in case it dies. Which it won't. But you never know :p

Reactions: 4305ms

Gilg@mesh

Jan 15, 2009
Stockholm
ok nice, is the camera tweaks already included? and would it wipe the device when flashing or do the apps I've installed still be there?

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [26/7][XXKG3] VillainROM 2.3 for SGS2 < The ROM Noonski couldn't drain the battery on

Updated to version 2.4, go to the new thread - this one's too long...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1198334
    How to Flash VillainROM?

Step 1- flashing cf-root.
    - If you have already flashed cf-root then move onto step 2.

First things first, check what stock rom you are on, go to menu > settings > about and look for key phrases like "KE2" or "KE4" etc this is your kernel number. Make sure this is not the number in the "baseband" line as this is your MODEM version (radio) not kernel.

Then go to this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399 and download the kernel for the same version type as you just identified, once downloaded extract from the .zip so you have the .tar file.

Download ODIN if you have not already done so, also in that thread above and extract from the zip.

Install samsung KIES from this link (for drivers) - http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/m...softwaremanual.do?page=MOBILE.SOFTWARE.MANUAL

Once you have done all this power down your phone and then power back on in download mode. To do this you need to turn the phone on by pressing volume down, home and power all at the same time. You will get a screen asking you to press volume up to confirm.

Now plug your phone into your PC and let it install the drivers.

You are now ready to open ODIN.

Go to the "PDA" box and direct it to the .tar file of the CF-ROOT kernel you downloaded then hit "START". DO NOT TICK OR UNTICK ANY BOXES LEAVE IT AS IT WAS BY DEFAULT.

Once complete the phone will reboot, you can now unplug it, you have root on a stock rom.

Step 2- How to install VillainRom

WARNING, DOING THIS YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA (that includes apps and sms's, call logs etc etc) BACKUP OR BE PREPARED TO LOSE THEM

Download the latest VillainRom this is a .zip file DO NOT EXTRACT IT!!.

Plug your phone into your pc and place this .zip file onto the root of your internal (or external) SD card.

Once down, unmount, unplug from your PC and then turn off the phone.

Boot into ClockWorkMod recovery by powering on with volume UP, home and power held.

Go to BACKUP and run a backup

Once this is done go to "wipe data/factory reset" then do "wipe cache".

Now you need to go "Install Zip from SD" find your .zip file of VillainRom and flash.

Once complete you can reboot the phone, you will be on VillainRom.

If for some strange reason you get stuck into a boot loop (meaning its taking longer than 10 minutes to boot into the rom) you will need to hold power till the phone turns off, boot into CWM and repeat the wipe and flashing steps above.

Step 3 - Updating CF-ROOT Kernel

Now you are on VillainRom you will need to update the kernel to match the rom. At the time of writing this is the KG1 kernel (but check in IRC or on the rom post if your not sure). This time you will want to keep this as a .zip file.

First of all, install VRTweaks from http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/4570-(updated)-VillainTweaks-v1.3.1-(29-May), and install it.

Place the CF-ROOT .zip file onto your phone and then open the "CWM" app, once open go to "flash kernel" and point it to that .zip file.

The phone will reboot.

STEP 4 (OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED) - UPDATE MODEM

Download the reccomended modem from the rom thread this will be a tar.md5 file DO NOT RENAME IT (it may be in a .zip, if so extract it)

Put your phone into download mode and open Odin.

Click "PHONE" and guide it to the tar.md5 file

Press Start

Phone will reboot and your done
    Frequently Asked Questions?

Thanks to geko95gek for helping to make this FAQ up. You can see the full FAQ at http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/s...ease-Read-Carefully-Before-Posting-Questions-!!

VillainROM for SGS2

Frequently asked questions about VillainROM for the SGS2

Q: After flashing this ROM, I am stuck on the VillainROM welcome screen.

A: Reboot into recovery (CWM) by turning off the phone, and holding down power + home + volume up. Now choose Wipe data/factory reset, and then re-install the ROM.

-----

Q: After flashing the stock kernel, I cannot use WiFi.

A: You need to reflash CF-Root kernel, in order to get WiFi working.

-----

Q: Where can I get VRTweaks from?

A: Here - VRTweaks

-----

Q: How can I remove the yellow triangle on boot?

A:

After flashing VR1.4, boot to system and install VRTweaks from here - VRTweaks.
    Run the VRTweaks app and Install the Symlink Fix, reboot.
    Now boot into Download Mode, flash any Stock kernel with ODIN. Wait for phone to reboot.
    Go into the CWM app and flash the zImage extracted from any CF-Root kernel zip/tar.
    Your phone should now reboot and voila, the triangle is gone.

Mini guide by geko95gek_xda

-----

Q: How do I flash a MODEM/Radio?

A: Flash it via ODIN, as a "PHONE" file. Do not rename the .tar.md5

-----

Q: After flashing VillainROM my browser is lagging, how can I fix it?

A: Download VRTweaks and apply the Browser fix, reboot phone.

-----

Q: Where do I find a CSC to restore T-9, Auto-Correct or to add additional Input Languages?

A: You have to get and flash a CSC package from here - Intratech's XDA Thread

-----
    Quadrant and some "other" ROMs

So it seems that a couple of ROM "chefs" thought it was a good idea to sneak in a script to cheat their quadrant benchmark results... Both Lite'ning ROM, and AngeloROM are giving deceiving quadrant scores.

Quadrant isn't an amazing benchmark for the SGS2, as it's not properly multi-threaded, but I think it's worth explanining what was going on here. Both of the named ROMs are using an init.d script to detect Quadrant, and mount its files to a ramdisk, meaning that IO performance is not being measured accurately. This can give the undiscerning user a very high Quadrant score (in excess of 6000 in some cases).

What does this mean? Absolutely nothing. But it's essentially a sign that the maker of that ROM does not see fit to be honest with you. Can you trust someone who would rather boost their "e-peen" by deceiving you, rather than forego the e-peen extension, and instead be honest about the performance of your ROM.

Just think... If a ROM dev is happy to hide code to cheat Quadrant scores, and deceive you in that way, in what other ways might they also be deceiving you?

And for the avoidance of doubt, VillainROM does not, and will not, make use of dodgy "cheating" methods to fool you into thinking you have higher benchmark scores than you do... It's not cool, it's not something you expect to see from a "developer", who should be someone trustworthy, given the level of trust you are giving them by installing a ROM they make.
    So without further ado, VillainROM 2.3 can be downloaded from this linkhttp://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/s...nROM-2.3-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-(2.3.4-time)

If you are after a light version of the old VillainROM 2.0 by Gilg@mesh, download from http://www.multiupload.com/6OEDBEYO01

After installing, I recommend you flash the XXKG3 modem, which you can download from this link: http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/4942-ROM-VillainROM-2.3-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-(2.3.4-time))

Got questions? Need help? Go to http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/IRC.php or get in touch with one of our helpful helpers (whose assistance in clearing the tidal waves of questions is very much appreciated)

geko95gek

(any other helpers wanting added, just get in touch with geko95gek or one of the VR guys on IRC (link above))