Samsung Refuse to admit Note 2 N7102 does NOT work in North America

Search This thread

angelosabatini

Oct 3, 2009
A lot of people are confusing the issue here. Bottom line is that they advertised a phone with specs that are not really present in the phone. Samsung should do something about it. The company has a responsibility to the customers it advertised it to, regardless of their location or country of residence. Just because there are different local versions of the same phone its ok to lie about specifications? If Samsung China did something wrong, Samsung Korea is not liable? Is it ok that they covered up their mistake and did not attempt to fix it?

That's my exact opinion too !
Samsung has an international name and reputation, so they cannot pretend to ignore what a national branch did.
It is like a world auto maker company that realizes one of its production company in another country made a mistake, and they have to fix it.
Just like the phones, even the same models of cars are created differently based on the country of production.
When few years ago Toyota in USA discovered some problems in a car model, the Toyota Japan was responsible for everything and their name was on the newspapers (not the Toyota USA) and they had to take care of the problem spending a good lot of money and apologizing too.
It is the same logic here.
But Samsung did nothing, just tried to hide the problem ; that is why this thread was created and was called : Samsung refuse to admit......

So shame on Samsung for this !

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
That's my exact opinion too !
Samsung has an international name and reputation, so they cannot pretend to ignore what a national branch did.
It is like a world auto maker company that realizes one of its production company in another country made a mistake, and they have to fix it.
Just like the phones, even the same models of cars are created differently based on the country of production.
When few years ago Toyota in USA discovered some problems in a car model, the Toyota Japan was responsible for everything and their name was on the newspapers (not the Toyota USA) and they had to take care of the problem spending a good lot of money and apologizing too.
It is the same logic here.
But Samsung did nothing, just tried to hide the problem ; that is why this thread was created and was called : Samsung refuse to admit......

So shame on Samsung for this !

I think you're not getting the point here, we are talking out different market, location import and export, i'm sure if the phone is a local model sold in the US and you live there, there isn't a problem, but you have purchased a phone though grey import and not sold locally offically, and you want someone to deal with it, from the thread samsung has stated for a refund, and it's your problem to deal with the second part and accepting their condition on returning it, as stated samsung china does not deal with mail return and international warranty, so your option is through the dealer that you purchased it from or make your way to samsung china directly.

I won't mention whether samsung korea has done anything about it, may be they have, but asked samsung china to deal with it who know.

I 'm sure about the toyota incident, this is a problem which affect worldwide sales, but there is one thing you didn't mention, the models sold that had problems were local models for those market and sold officially not imported model, unlike the phone as stated was made for china market only. The customers only had to return the car to the service center for exchange or repair.

talking about cars, have you tried to import a particular toyota model from a lets say hong kong to the USA or ask a local official toyota showroom to send a particular model will they do this for you , and this model is not available in the USA and you have a problem, do you think Toyota USA will take up the warranty for this car, they have no obligation to do so, and parts were also not available.

what would you do.

Remember this is only a in reply to your post, and not a arguement.

Last edited:

hendrickchan

Jun 23, 2009
I suppose not many users from China post here, most of the people posting is from an international market. So here's what I experienced in China.

I called the Samsung hotline. Complained that my phone had roaming problems in North America. The customer care guy insisted that there might be something wrong with my carrier (China Unicom). I popped the sim in another phone and it worked great over there. Spent almost an hour arguing. This was before the fact that they changed the specs on their websites. The Samsung representative was insistent that their phones did support NA bands.

When I found out they changed the specs online (thru XDA). I went to the local dealer where I bought it and complained. Local dealer suggested I go to an official Samsung shop, since they had no advise on what to do from Samsung. Official Samsung shop denied that there was anything wrong with the unit. Didn't feel like arguing so I left.

Then I found out they were offering people refunds (again through XDA). I went back to the Official Samsung Store. Had the same experience as the first time. Given the run around. So in the end I didn't get a refund.

I did not like how Samsung China handled this. I did not like that Samsung Korea did not step in. I read that some of those that were offered refunds were made to sign non disclosure agreements, I did not like that either. I'm puzzled how come the tech press did not report on this issue.

I do not reside in China, but I'm there pretty much most of the time. I'm tired of people telling me about international warranty and stuff etc etc etc.

Bottom line, my opinion is that Samsung (China, Korea, or wherever) did not handle this issue to my satisfaction. I felt I was repeatedly lied to. I felt cheated that some were offered refunds (bribed? ) and legally were told to shut up about it.

Btw, I've had only good experiences with Toyota. Even with an imported model, not purchased through our local dealer. Although they do not honor the warranty in my local country, they are kind enough to assist me in ordering spare parts and maintaining the unit, for a fee, which was fine by me.

I was discussing this issue in another forum. There were users who immediately told me that it was my fault for buying a grey (imported) unit etc etc etc. Even before finding out the real situation. It is hard to sympathize, unless you are stuck in the same situation.

Now what I've learned is, how this company (Samsung) handles problems when the sh1t hits the fan.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I suppose not many users from China post here, most of the people posting is from an international market. So here's what I experienced in China.

I called the Samsung hotline. Complained that my phone had roaming problems in North America. The customer care guy insisted that there might be something wrong with my carrier (China Unicom). I popped the sim in another phone and it worked great over there. Spent almost an hour arguing. This was before the fact that they changed the specs on their websites. The Samsung representative was insistent that their phones did support NA bands.

When I found out they changed the specs online (thru XDA). I went to the local dealer where I bought it and complained. Local dealer suggested I go to an official Samsung shop, since they had no advise on what to do from Samsung. Official Samsung shop denied that there was anything wrong with the unit. Didn't feel like arguing so I left.

Then I found out they were offering people refunds (again through XDA). I went back to the Official Samsung Store. Had the same experience as the first time. Given the run around. So in the end I didn't get a refund.

I did not like how Samsung China handled this. I did not like that Samsung Korea did not step in. I read that some of those that were offered refunds were made to sign non disclosure agreements, I did not like that either. I'm puzzled how come the tech press did not report on this issue.

I do not reside in China, but I'm there pretty much most of the time. I'm tired of people telling me about international warranty and stuff etc etc etc.

Bottom line, my opinion is that Samsung (China, Korea, or wherever) did not handle this issue to my satisfaction. I felt I was repeatedly lied to. I felt cheated that some were offered refunds (bribed? ) and legally were told to shut up about it.

Btw, I've had only good experiences with Toyota. Even with an imported model, not purchased through our local dealer. Although they do not honor the warranty in my local country, they are kind enough to assist me in ordering spare parts and maintaining the unit, for a fee, which was fine by me.

I was discussing this issue in another forum. There were users who immediately told me that it was my fault for buying a grey (imported) unit etc etc etc. Even before finding out the real situation. It is hard to sympathize, unless you are stuck in the same situation.

Now what I've learned is, how this company (Samsung) handles problems when the sh1t hits the fan.

do you remember when sony released there flagship phone and people had problems with the display (the yellow bloches), this is the same problem as this, all because of warranty issues and grey import issues.

hendrickchan

Jun 23, 2009
do you remember when sony released there flagship phone and people had problems with the display (the yellow bloches), this is the same problem as this, all because of warranty issues and grey import issues.

You mean this?

--------------------------------

Sony Mobile comes with a prompt response for Xperia S ‘Yellow Tint’ display issue

If you have recently purchased Sony Mobile's Xperia S and have fallen into the category of those unlucky few who have experienced a 'yellow tint' at the bottom of the screen, your woes are about to be addressed.

Sony Mobile has confirmed that a "small number of units" when subjected to temperatures above 40 degree Celsius develop a 'yellow tint'. However, they have asked the worried user to get in touch with the local Sony Mobile service center and their device will be fixed, free of cost. The following statement is extracted from the discussions page of Sony Mobile.

Sony Mobile Communications has identified that the display on a limited number of Xperia S smartphones may show a slight yellow tint if exposed to temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius. This is limited to a small number of units and the cause of this has been corrected. Any consumer observing this slight yellow tint on the display of their Xperia S is welcome to contact their local customer service centre and Sony Mobile Communications will resolve this at no cost to the consumer.

If Samsung had made a similar response, kindly point me towards it.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
You mean this?

Sony Mobile comes with a prompt response for Xperia S ‘Yellow Tint’ display issue

If you have recently purchased Sony Mobile's Xperia S and have fallen into the category of those unlucky few who have experienced a 'yellow tint' at the bottom of the screen, your woes are about to be addressed.

Sony Mobile has confirmed that a "small number of units" when subjected to temperatures above 40 degree Celsius develop a 'yellow tint'. However, they have asked the worried user to get in touch with the local Sony Mobile service center and their device will be fixed, free of cost. The following statement is extracted from the discussions page of Sony Mobile.

Sony Mobile Communications has identified that the display on a limited number of Xperia S smartphones may show a slight yellow tint if exposed to temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius. This is limited to a small number of units and the cause of this has been corrected. Any consumer observing this slight yellow tint on the display of their Xperia S is welcome to contact their local customer service centre and Sony Mobile Communications will resolve this at no cost to the consumer.

If Samsung had made a similar response, kindly point me towards it.

That is it, but that was part of the story, apparently, this notice was only given to people who sent a email to sony US and UK along with some other countries, and refers to local officially sold models, not every country issued this noticed, people also posted on twitter, all were directed to contact customer service and was advice to provide the imei number.

detailes were all stated on sony's section of XDA, and a friend of mine who works for sony hong kong customer service center.

majority of the people were rejected as the imei showed the phone was registered to hong kong and some other asian countries, apparently hong kong was one of the first countries to release this model, and people purchased this through ebay and online store.
sony us, uk and others, asked customer to contact the registered country which was hong kong.

to cut it short, sony hong kong accepted the warranty and was honored if the ALL condition was met.

1 imei must be registered to hong kong ie. official hong kong stock, not grey import.

2 must have a official receipt issued from a authorised dealer, the dealer company name must be on sony's hong kong name list, so online dealers and ebay are out.

3 customers must bring the unit to hong kong customer service center, as hong kong and most asian countries don't deal with mail in return, you must return the unit in person.

hendrickchan

Jun 23, 2009
We all understand that warranty is based on where your model was purchased. The fact that Samsung China refuses to admit something is wrong (hence the title of the thread), and refuses to do anything about it for the majority of the Chinese citizens who bought the phone, is what people in this thread are unhappy about.

Sony handled it fairly. You cannot compare it to how Samsung handled it. Tough luck for grey imports, but how about those with the local warranty? Any action taken by Samsung? So far none.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
We all understand that warranty is based on where your model was purchased. The fact that Samsung China refuses to admit something is wrong (hence the title of the thread), and refuses to do anything about it for the majority of the Chinese citizens who bought the phone, is what people in this thread are unhappy about.

Sony handled it fairly. You cannot compare it to how Samsung handled it. Tough luck for grey imports, but how about those with the local warranty? Any action taken by Samsung? So far none.

The problem is not with the locals now, it's the poeple who has purchased the units oversea, that cannot get a refund because of the return problems.

wolverin88

Sep 23, 2013
Use N7102 with Tmobile

Hi, I am late to the party. So can I use this phone with Tmobile here? Which SIM slot should I put Tmobile SIM card in, the micro or the standard one? I just want to use it as GSM phone, data preferred but not required. ok, I guess I have put it in Micro slot as Tmobile is 1900Mhz on GSM.

Btw, is this phone locked by default? how can I unlock it?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Tempest786

Oct 11, 2013
Hi, I am late to the party. So can I use this phone with Tmobile here? Which SIM slot should I put Tmobile SIM card in, the micro or the standard one? I just want to use it as GSM phone, data preferred but not required. ok, I guess I have put it in Micro slot as Tmobile is 1900Mhz on GSM.

Btw, is this phone locked by default? how can I unlock it?

Thanks.

well, depends if you want 3g the micro sim slot is for the 3g and the regular big sim is for the GSM. also the 1900mhz band is for 2g or GSM. the place i bought my phone at told me the network bands. for GSM or 2g its 800/850/1800/1900MHz the 3g or WCDMA/HSUPA 2100MHz luckily the place i bought it from came rooted. you will have to do some research on rooting it. also Tmobile you could connect it and recive 3g since the 3g of Tmobile is 2100mhz which is supported by the phone.

angelosabatini

Oct 3, 2009
well, depends if you want 3g the micro sim slot is for the 3g and the regular big sim is for the GSM. also the 1900mhz band is for 2g or GSM. the place i bought my phone at told me the network bands. for GSM or 2g its 800/850/1800/1900MHz the 3g or WCDMA/HSUPA 2100MHz luckily the place i bought it from came rooted. you will have to do some research on rooting it. also Tmobile you could connect it and recive 3g since the 3g of Tmobile is 2100mhz which is supported by the phone.

Anyone here knows if the Note 3 dual sim works well in USA ?
or if it has the same problems as the Note 2 with only one sim working and no radio or hdmi out ?
Thanks for the replies....

gaore

Aug 23, 2009
I experieced this problem:

I am in usa and I put us t-mobile micro sim in the phone,

it indicates roaming,

how to solve this problem?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mar 2nd Update

Sorry I didn't keep this post update regularly.

But I didn't rest. I have already gathered more than 200 people in China fighting against Samsung over the N7102 Baseband issue.

We are trying in every possible way to push Samsung, and force them to face us.

We already have a lot of media following this issue about Samsung's false advertisement on this issue, and we are trying to taking Samsung China to the court as well.

At the same time, Samsung is trying to stop us.

They negotiated with a lot of medias to stop their news on their website and megzine.
    They bribed most of chinese video hosting site to delete my demonstration video.

We will not stop !

Here's two things that you can do if you want to help us:

1. We are trying to gather as many as possible signned paper to file 315 report.(BBB in China)
    download the docment below, sign, and send to our email 631265979@qq.com

2. If you live in New York, please contact me right away. I hope we can have some people go to
    March 14th's Galaxy S IV lauch event with a big sign to tell Samsung head office, N7102 have a problem.
    I beleive if Samsung Korea or their head office are aware of these issue, a solution will come out very fast.
    Re: Dual Sim Dual Stand By N7102 to work in North America with GSM + 3G

I am visiting family in China for Chinese new year.
    We called the samsung support line today to complain about the lack of 850Mhz WCDMA support.
    After 20 minutes discussion in which they tried every excuse why it is my fault, or the sim card is faulty, etc they finally agreed to escalate the problem.
    I have been promised a return call within 24 hours.
    Will cross fingers.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using XDA Premium HD app
    @andyhkng try +864008105858.

Guys, take a look at this link.

http://news.chengdu.cn/content/2013-02/26/content_1163660.htm?node=583

Finally some press about the N7102's problems. The earlier we get this on gadget sites the better.
    we will have our people in China meeting with Samsung people tomorrow.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar 5nd Update

we will have our people in China meeting with Samsung people flying from head office tomorrow.

Stay Tuned

Another Media report

http://translate.google.com/transla...tnews.itxinwen.com/tsal/2013/0306/485287.html

Mar 2nd Update

Sorry I didn't keep this post update regularly.

But I didn't rest. I have already gathered more than 200 people in China fighting against Samsung over the N7102 Baseband issue. (QQ group 289956485 )

We are trying in every possible way to push Samsung, and force them to face us.

We already have a lot of media following this issue about Samsung's false advertisement, and we are trying to taking Samsung China to the court as well.

At the same time, Samsung is trying to stop us.

They negotiated with a lot of medias to stop their news on their website and megzine.
    They bribed most of chinese video hosting site to delete my demonstration video.

We will not stop !

Here's two things that you can do if you want to help us:

1. We are trying to gather as many as possible signned paper to file 315 report.(BBB in China)
    download the docment below, sign, and send to our email 631265979@qq.com

2. If you live in New York, please contact me right away. I hope we can have some people go to
    March 14th's Galaxy S IV lauch event with a big sign to tell Samsung head office, N7102 have a problem.
    I beleive if Samsung Korea or their head office are aware of these issue, a solution will come out very fast.

Feb 16th Update

After took apart the N7102, the Base Band chipset in the phone is Qualcomm ESC6270+ Intel XG626

Intel XG626 supports GSM 850/900/1900/2100 + WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100 without a problem, a lot of phones are using this chipset.

But I can't find any information about Qualcomm ESC6270

The only thing I found is a LG C320 phone with repair manual HERE

This phone use ESC6270 with Support GSM 850, but in this manual, some places says it has ESC6270, some places says it has QSC6270.

If any one can figure out more from here, please let me know.

2012122213125949.jpg

Original Post

According to 60 pages thread in here,

the conclusion is N7102 will not work on 850 1900 WCDMA in Slot1 and 850 1900 GSM Slot2

I already sent report to Samsung China official website, and hope they can finish the update soon

===========================
    here is a possible way that might let the 850 and 1900 work. But with current ROM version, it's not working.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37162564&postcount=523

May be we can try flash international N7102 rom instead of the China Unicom one.
    I don't know where to find it tho...
    =============================

Summary of the Problem:

Micro Sim, Slot1
    Should be
    GSM 850/900/1900/2100
    Plus
    WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100

Actual:
    GSM 850/900/1900/2100 ALL works
    WCDMA 900/2100 works
    WCDMA 850/1900 not working