[Q] Stuck on boot after KK update

Search This thread

Shott3r

Feb 28, 2010
San Jose
This is for my friend's ATT One. Bone stock, unrooted, S-On, no changes made to the device from the store. He took the OTA for Kit Kat and was running fine, then his phone rebooted on him a couple days later and won't go past the white HTC boot screen.

Two problems: First, I cannot use ADB, as it does not detect his phone. When I plug in his phone, it says drivers failed to install for HTC MTP device. I also have an HTC One, unlocked, S-Off, etc., and when I plug mine in, it's detected and ADB works just fine like always (so it's not that I need to reinstall drivers).
Problem 2: the phone seems to hang trying to do a factory reset from the bootloader menu, or from the stock recovery menu. It will start the reset, reboot to the white HTC screen then hang. I left it for more than an hour twice. Nothing doing.

Is there a way to reflash/restore his phone without wiping his sdcard? He's OK losing the data partition, but wiping sdcard is last resort. Using an RUU .exe will wipe his sdcard, as will unlocking his bootloader to try to install a custom recovery. Just not really sure what tools I have at my disposal with a stock recovery and no adb. Will fastboot flashing a rom.zip extracted from the ATT RUU also wipe his sdcard? Or does that only happen with the RUU .exe? Any ideas appreciated..

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
This is for my friend's ATT One. Bone stock, unrooted, S-On, no changes made to the device from the store. He took the OTA for Kit Kat and was running fine, then his phone rebooted on him a couple days later and won't go past the white HTC boot screen.

Did you tried wiping /cache?

Two problems: First, I cannot use ADB, as it does not detect his phone.

ADB can only be used when phone is booted+usb debug on or via custom recovery

He's OK losing the data partition

I hope so, factory reset is a /data wipe... :rolleyes: probably already wiped from your first attempt to factory reset

but wiping sdcard is last resort. Using an RUU .exe will wipe his sdcard
And the available ruu.exe for at&t is a downgrade in version so it will require s-off.

Will fastboot flashing a rom.zip extracted from the ATT RUU also wipe his sdcard? Or does that only happen with the RUU .exe? Any ideas appreciated..

you can't flash a rom directly from fastboot. You can flash a rom via a custom recovery or flash a ruu.zip from RUUmode (fastboot oem rebootRUU).

Unfortunately I think there is no way to save /sdcard. You will need to unlock bootloader to flash a custom recovery.

easy way:

1. flash twrp custom recovery
  2. flash guru reset rom for your version

or

1. flash twrp custom recovery
  2. flash and use arhd rom

or the long way:
  1. flash twrp
  2. flash arhd
  3. s-off
  4. flash ruu.zip

Last edited:

Shott3r

Feb 28, 2010
San Jose
Did you tried wiping /cache?

you can't flash a rom directly from fastboot. You can flash a rom via a custom recovery or flash a ruu.zip from RUUmode (fastboot oem rebootRUU).

Unfortunately I think there is no way to save /sdcard. You will need to unlock bootloader to flash a custom recovery.

I did erase cache first thing. Regarding flashing the ruu.zip from RUUmode, my question is whether flashing the ruu.zip will erase the sdcard? Also does it even matter, since he has KK firmware, and is S-On? Will the ruu.zip from Jellybean 4.3 even flash on his (current) KK firmware?

Any ideas on why the factory reset would hang? Cuz that's best case scenario is to simply factory reset, but it seems not to work presently.

alray

May 22, 2012
I did erase cache first thing. Regarding flashing the ruu.zip from RUUmode, my question is whether flashing the ruu.zip will erase the sdcard? Also does it even matter, since he has KK firmware, and is S-On? Will the ruu.zip from Jellybean 4.3 even flash on his (current) KK firmware?

Any ideas on why the factory reset would hang? Cuz that's best case scenario is to simply factory reset, but it seems not to work presently.

ruu will wipe everything.

and no you can't use ruu with s-on because its a downgrade in version.

Shott3r

Feb 28, 2010
San Jose
Is there any way that you know of to get access to the sdcard in the circumstance I've described to try to rescue some files before I set about with the rescue? Doubt it, but just asking.

alray

May 22, 2012
Is there any way that you know of to get access to the sdcard in the circumstance I've described to try to rescue some files before I set about with the rescue? Doubt it, but just asking.

maybe you could use remote recovery booting (booting a custom recovery without installing it). Not sure if it still can be done (think it was disabled in 4.2.2)

fastboot boot name_of_recovery.img

then use adb from recovery to copy sdcard content to your computer

adb pull /sdcard C:\somefolder

If you can't boot from a remote recovery, then I think you can say goodbye to those files in your /sdcard :(