No roms will flash, they all hang on the white boot screen. Ever heard of this? wtf?

Search This thread

Sprockethead

Jun 6, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It is slowly driving me mad. I can get into recovery and restore my current ROM (leaked GB base). However, if I flash a new rom - any rom - it flashes, reboots into white HTC boot screen, and just hangs there.

I'm using ROM manager, clockwork.

What do I do? It doesn't make sense.

Thanks for any advice.

Later.

dougjamal

Aug 26, 2010
Orlando, FL
1. Stop using ROM Manager
2. Go to the link below and download the PC36IMG.zip file for amon RA v2.3 and place it on the root of your SD card.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=705026
3. Shutdown your device.
4. Simultaneously press the DOWN volume button and the power button until your device starts. There will be a short pause and then a few lines of text will scroll across the screen. Afterwards, the bootloader will automatically detect the PC36IMG.zip file and prompt you to install it. Follow the easy prompts to install. Installation will take less than 10 seconds to complete. Afterwards, reboot into your new recovery. Go to the backup/restore menu and make a nandroid backup of your current setup.
5. Now go to the wipe menu and wipe EVERYTHING in it EXCEPT the SD card.
6. Go to the flash menu and flash the rom you desire to flash.

posting & replying via the XDA Premium app.

searcher61

Apr 11, 2007
I have had it take 3-5 min to get past the white screen, it happened with some custom roms. I thought it was hung also but it finally continued..how long did you wait?

Sent from my secret place where no-one can find me.

Sprockethead

Jun 6, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Oh wow, you are awesome. I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me that. Worked perfectly. If I could buy you a beer I would. Have a good one!

1. Stop using ROM Manager
2. Go to the link below and download the PC36IMG.zip file for amon RA v2.3 and place it on the root of your SD card.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=705026
3. Shutdown your device.
4. Simultaneously press the DOWN volume button and the power button until your device starts. There will be a short pause and then a few lines of text will scroll across the screen. Afterwards, the bootloader will automatically detect the PC36IMG.zip file and prompt you to install it. Follow the easy prompts to install. Installation will take less than 10 seconds to complete. Afterwards, reboot into your new recovery. Go to the backup/restore menu and make a nandroid backup of your current setup.
5. Now go to the wipe menu and wipe EVERYTHING in it EXCEPT the SD card.
6. Go to the flash menu and flash the rom you desire to flash.

Raehtz10

Dec 20, 2010
Was having the same trouble. I think Rom Manager has some flaws cause it works fine from Recovery

dougjamal

Aug 26, 2010
Orlando, FL
Was having the same trouble. I think Rom Manager has some flaws cause it works fine from Recovery

ROM Manager has its uses, but, in my opinion, it is far too easy to simply boot or reboot into recovery and flash, especially with amon RA. It has a common sense menu layout.

superhiro415

Sep 6, 2010
Hmmm, so what happens if I'm still having this problem after trying this fix? I've been having the "can't flash any other roms because they all hang at the white evo4g screen" problem and have been stuck on the same rom for over a month now. Is there something else I can try if this doesn't work?

teh roxxorz

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2010
Hmmm, so what happens if I'm still having this problem after trying this fix? I've been having the "can't flash any other roms because they all hang at the white evo4g screen" problem and have been stuck on the same rom for over a month now. Is there something else I can try if this doesn't work?

I would do a clean wipe, factory/data, cache, and dalvik, then go to the bootloader, select the clear storage for overkill, then try to flash a rom.

superhiro415

Sep 6, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply man. Tried the wipe of data, cache and dalvik, rebooted to bootloader and cleared storage. Tried to install a rom and still hung up at the htc evo 4g white boot screen. Anything else I can try?

teh roxxorz

Nov 21, 2010
Which rom are you trying to flash? I would re-download it to make sure its not corrupted in any fashion.

superhiro415

Sep 6, 2010
Hmmm I was wondering if that might be the problem, because I've gotten this rom to flash ONCE before. It's the End of Days rom from Magnus. I got it to work the first time I tried to flash it but then at some point I rebooted it and it started boot looping to the point where I couldn't get it to load anymore. That's when I wiped, tried to reflash the rom and all this madness started. I'll try to redownload, but I figured if the ROM worked once, it should be able to work again... right? I mean I'm not flashing it any differently.

teh roxxorz

Nov 21, 2010
Hmmm I was wondering if that might be the problem, because I've gotten this rom to flash ONCE before. It's the End of Days rom from Magnus. I got it to work the first time I tried to flash it but then at some point I rebooted it and it started boot looping to the point where I couldn't get it to load anymore. That's when I wiped, tried to reflash the rom and all this madness started. I'll try to redownload, but I figured if the ROM worked once, it should be able to work again... right? I mean I'm not flashing it any differently.

It should work.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19699565/PC36IMG.zip Place that on your sdcard, boot into the bootloader and flash it. That'll reflash the amon_ra 2.3 recovery, then try flashing the rom again.

superhiro415

Sep 6, 2010
Yea I tried the Pc36img thing already too. Let the bootloader find it, applied the update, rebooted into recovery, reflashed, nothing. Same results, hung up on white evo screen.

I'm actually noticing that when I try to wipe the "sd ext" in Amon Ra's wipe menu, it just says "skipping format sdext" or something like that, is that normal?

teh roxxorz

Nov 21, 2010
Yea I tried the Pc36img thing already too. Let the bootloader find it, applied the update, rebooted into recovery, reflashed, nothing. Same results, hung up on white evo screen.

I'm actually noticing that when I try to wipe the "sd ext" in Amon Ra's wipe menu, it just says "skipping format sdext" or something like that, is that normal?

That's normal; it only says that because you don't have that partition. The only thing I can think of at this point would be to backup everything, quickly unroot, then re-root.

Droga

Nov 18, 2008
Isabela
My Evo is doing something similar. I flash ANY of the new Sense 2.x (or Sense 3.0) ROMs, and they just reboot on the white HTC EVO 4G screen. Ive wiped everything, used Calks Format All, Im using the latest Amons, etc to no avail. However, all AOSP GB ROMs (MIUI,CM7, EoD, etc) work like a charm! Any kind soul that knows what the hell is going on with my phone?

Top Liked Posts