Otterbox or Ballistic Case

Search This thread

jpcdeux

Mar 26, 2010
Laporte, IN
Otterboxes rubber gets looser and stretches out faster than Ballistic I've noticed.

"Search is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience." ~ Yeah, what's new

danteSpec

May 9, 2012
Panama
Well, I have own both cases...

If you ask me for better look and material, the Otterbox wins all the way. However some people prefer the Ballistic one, because it offers more protection on the corners for the cellphone.

Also the Ballistic is cheaper than the Otterbox :D:D:D

tehtrk

Oct 22, 2008
Otterboxes rubber gets looser and stretches out faster than Ballistic I've noticed.

I have an Otter box defender and here are my observations.
I have noticed that the rubber on each of the corners (screen side) does not conform correctly to the shape of the plastic. It's gotten worse since I've had the case (since December maybe), which is probably due to the stretching you mentioned from pulling it out of my pocket. It has never fit well from day one though.

Another issue I have, which may be the case with either brand is that it can be difficult to access the edges of the screen due to the tall lip around the case. The rubber flaps protecting the USB port and the headphone jack seem to be vulnerable to tearing as well. It starts at the edge and with time will completely be severed. In my case, the USB flap is tearing worse because it gets manipulated more.

I haven't had any issues with the power button or rockers being difficult to use, though, so score one for otterbox there. The included belt clip makes the phone ridiculously huge at my side, so I use it in my truck to keep the phone from "roaming about the cabin" so to speak. If you can find something to clip it to in your vehicle, it works very well for this.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app

hollywood528

Nov 6, 2010
San Diego, CA
I have an Otter box defender and here are my observations.
I have noticed that the rubber on each of the corners (screen side) does not conform correctly to the shape of the plastic. It's gotten worse since I've had the case (since December maybe), which is probably due to the stretching you mentioned from pulling it out of my pocket. It has never fit well from day one though.

Another issue I have, which may be the case with either brand is that it can be difficult to access the edges of the screen due to the tall lip around the case. The rubber flaps protecting the USB port and the headphone jack seem to be vulnerable to tearing as well. It starts at the edge and with time will completely be severed. In my case, the USB flap is tearing worse because it gets manipulated more.

I haven't had any issues with the power button or rockers being difficult to use, though, so score one for otterbox there. The included belt clip makes the phone ridiculously huge at my side, so I use it in my truck to keep the phone from "roaming about the cabin" so to speak. If you can find something to clip it to in your vehicle, it works very well for this.

Hope this helps.

+1
I have the otter box case and completely agree with everything said.. other than the few minor issues, its a good overall case and has definitely saved my phone from accidental drops and abuse

Alucius116

May 8, 2012
keystone heights
otterbox ftw

i would def go with an otterbox. there free part replacement is amazing. it has protected my phone from drops and despite the bulk that it adds, the protection offered is more important. when i upgrade my phone i will buy an otterbox again.

Reactions: wickedninjalo

Antomir

Oct 15, 2012
Ballistic all the way because it is not the exageration of an otterbox yet it has all the great features. you should get the ballistic sg

wickedninjalo

Mar 14, 2009
Gouldsboro
i would def go with an otterbox. there free part replacement is amazing. it has protected my phone from drops and despite the bulk that it adds, the protection offered is more important. when i upgrade my phone i will buy an otterbox again.

+1 and damn straight! My infuse and my captivate had one too. Tried ballistic... didn't like it, not as much protection so I ended up returning it. I dropped this infuse I'm using right now off my roof (about thirty foot drop) and not a thing wrong with my phone or the case. Lol I'm a clumsy mofo, I forgot I also dropped it down my wooden stairs (26 steps). You can see why I invest my money in these cases, I would of had to get at least 20 replacement phones between the captivate and my infuse. You can pick up one real cheap on eBay, got mine $20 B.I.N. free shipping. New in sealed box

RunicMourning

Apr 12, 2011
I have the Ballistic one. It adds lots of bulk to the phone. But it does offer lots of protection.

Sent from my Infuse 4G using Tapatalk 2.

neilcifer

Apr 14, 2012
Otterbox is the best for me. Use the otter for my ifuse and gs3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Psykocys

Feb 2, 2012
Columbia
I recommend the ballistic SG only cause its not too bulky but offers great protection and fits good i have used this and the otterbox and have pitched my phone down the hall in both and one of the otterbox clips broke and the SG is still great not a scratch on my phone

wickedninjalo

Mar 14, 2009
Gouldsboro
Just an fyi for everyone going with our has an otterbox. It has been discontinued so they don't have any to replace yours with. They told me "totally out of stock". If you give them enough complaining they will refund the case for what you paid for it as long as you have your proof of purchase.

Whizzpopper

Apr 4, 2012
Iowa
I have the Otterbox and use it while I'm out. It does offer the best protection - although I removed the screen cover because it caused problems with screen sensitivity and actually trapped dust underneath. However, it's huge and ugly! I take it off at home. Otterbox clearly put much more thought into their iPhone line, unfortunately. Those aren't so bad.

Ridingmac

Jan 19, 2013
Never tried otterbox but im in love with my ballistic sg. With no plastic over the screen keeps my screen sensitive like i like it and 3layer of protection keeps phone safe and a relatively small size and is still pocket friendly

Sent From My Aeonized Infuse I997

dginsd

Jan 23, 2012
I've always used the incipio cases found here

http://www.incipio.com/cases/smartphone-cases/samsung-smartphone-cases-accessories/samsung-infuse-4g-cases-accessories.html

They've always protected my phone very well and they look far better than any other I've found. They're a single piece case so no mis-aligned non-sense and the case comes with a pretty good screen protector as well. I work on cars all day and my phone is in and out of it's holder all day, I also have butter fingers, needless to say my phone sees it's fair share of abuse via drops, kicks, and slides. Underneith the case and protector the phone is like new.

These images are of the "feather" case which is the one I have, they make a super protective version with a silicone sleeve inside (overkill IMO but if your really paranoid about protecting your device there it is)

SA-166d.jpg

SA-166a.jpg

Last edited:

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
I'm happy with my Ballistic SG case. I don't have insurance on my phone, so a good case is a must. A guy on youtube dropped a phone from 3 stories high with the Ballistic case on it, and it still worked. Let me see the Incipio do that. It's not overkill if the case provides basically 100% protection.

Reactions: elbscorp

dginsd

Jan 23, 2012
Granted my phone likely wouldn't survive a three story drop, but it's survived more than it's fair share of three and a half foot drops. I just hate having such a nice looking covered up by a case twice the size of the phone itself.

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
Granted my phone likely wouldn't survive a three story drop, but it's survived more than it's fair share of three and a half foot drops. I just hate having such a nice looking covered up by a case twice the size of the phone itself.

To each their own. I think the ballistic case makes it look bad a$$. Plus, it's protected from anything short of a nuclear blast.

Just for the heck of it, I threw my phone about 7 ft up into the air just to prove a point. It bounced around a bit, I picked it up, and it still worked.

To be honest, I can't stand a "naked" phone. It looks fragile and weak. But we all have our own preferences, and that's what it's all about. Choice.

Btw, if you have any case, you are covering up everything but the screen to begin with. So I don't understand when you said "covering up such a nice looking phone" comment. And no, it's not twice the size.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2013
I like to change up my cases quite a bit, and my favorite case I use is called a Dropsuit from body glove mobile. I've used otterbox defender in the past, but I think it actually looks a little plain and is a lot bulkier. The dropsuit has a sharp rugged look and it doesn't have a whole lot of extra rubber where it doesn't need it, making it easier to hold, and more pocket friendly, as well as better looking IMO. It also has thesame military specifications for protection, so despite me dropping it on a daily basis, it's no worse for the wear.

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
I like to change up my cases quite a bit, and my favorite case I use is called a Dropsuit from body glove mobile. I've used otterbox defender in the past, but I think it actually looks a little plain and is a lot bulkier. The dropsuit has a sharp rugged look and it doesn't have a whole lot of extra rubber where it doesn't need it, making it easier to hold, and more pocket friendly, as well as better looking IMO. It also has thesame military specifications for protection, so despite me dropping it on a daily basis, it's no worse for the wear.

They don't make a case for the infuse. If they once did, they no longer do.

darragh

Feb 18, 2011
Even though i don't actually have a Infuse, but looking out for a Otterbox case (for a S4 Active) this thread has some great general info on people feedback on the cases.
Thanks guys!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had an Otterbox for a year on my HTC Evo and loved it. This time around I went with the Ballistic HC case because it's two cases in one. You can leave the big rubber on for super protection or off so it's smaller and slick looking.

I love my Ballistic HC case and I wouldn't trade it for any other case on the market. The material it's made of it better than what Otterbox uses. The rubber is much nicer IMO.

I paid $50 for it on Amazon. (I opted for the next day air shipping because I'm impatient) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BTBGEO

Some pictures:

100_4086.jpg

100_4085.jpg

100_4084.jpg

100_4067.jpg

100_4066.jpg

More pictures of phones, including my new Infuse and the old Otterbox protected Evo: https://picasaweb.google.com/109136396104030084187/Phones#

BALLISTIC ALL THE WAY!
    otterbox ftw

I'm happy with my Ballistic SG case. I don't have insurance on my phone, so a good case is a must. A guy on youtube dropped a phone from 3 stories high with the Ballistic case on it, and it still worked. Let me see the Incipio do that. It's not overkill if the case provides basically 100% protection.