[TOOL][APK ROOT]SparkyRoot Apk root method

Search This thread

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
This APK root method is currently based on the busybox exploit that rhcp0112345 found, so thanks to him. I currently do not have a donation link in the app for him, but I will add one if he sends me the link and anybody can jump over to his original post if they would like.

This is an interim step of this app as I have been trying to finish a more complicated root method, since this one is most likely to get patched shortly. Also, in future updates I will be adding an unroot method as well as possible rootkeeper type functionality and depending on feedback I may add a quick install for the unlock tool.

The steps are similar to the PC version except it only requires a button press to perform the step.
1. Install this app (SparkyRoot)
2. Click step 1, Exploit (will move the files around and replace the busybox file)
3. Click step 2, Open up the ASUS App Backup tool and backup an app (you can use this one, its small)
4. Return to this app and Click step 3 Install SuperUser (will install the SuperUser app)
5. Click step 4, Cleanup (will cleanup all of the temporary files and revert the busybox file)
6. Profit???

UPDATE: 3/3/2012 - v1.1 - enhancements
Added a button for opening the backup app.
Updated SuperUser app to the latest version (you would have gotten a market update anyway)
Added indicators for if the su binary is there and if it has the proper read/execute permissions
Added indicator for if the SuperUser app is installed

UPDATE: 3/5/2012 - v1.2 - minor update
Added donation link for rhcp0112345
He also requested that I put his link in this thread so here are those
(TF101) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1515470
(TF201) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1518429

UPDATE: 3/18/2012 - v1.3 – enhancement/fix
Fixed issue where if you have never opened the app backup tool before the rooting would fail due to not accepting the terms of service
Added an unroot option (the current method requires superuser installed so that it can grant this app permission to unroot)

Attachments

• SparkyRoot.apk
    1.1 MB · Views: 229,877
Last edited:

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
From comments below, it appears that there may be an issue with checking you root access in correlation to Root Checker and BusyBox. I have never installed either of these apps on my device and have never seen the issue. To help clear some of this up I have added a check into my app that will tell you if the files are all set up properly, with proper permissions.

Also, make sure the SuperUser app is running in the background so that it can give root access to apps that you specify (if it is not running, your device will appear to not be rooted).

If you are having any issues, and you are using these apps, I would recommend that you uninstall them prior to rooting and then reinstall them after you have finished running the app to root the device and then reboot the device.

FYI
This root app has been confirmed working on certain versions of the ASUS Transformer (TF101), Transformer Prime (TF201), Transformer (TF300) Devices.
This includes
v9.4.2.15 for the TF201
v9.2.1.11 for the TF101
v9.4.3.17 for the TF300

This method (as it is currently implemented) no longer works with:
v9.4.2.21 for the TF201
v9.2.1.17 for the TF101
v9.4.3.26 for the TF300

To root on one of these non-supported ROM versions, please use this new root tool I have created.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1706588

Last edited:

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I just rooted the other night..lol. great work though. ill save it in my android tools folder for just in case anything voodoo fails on next update. thanks man! I was constantly checking this section since I posted on your thread n you said you might make an apk form of rooting. thanks again!

mj56gt

Feb 18, 2011
I have a TF101 with stock ICS installed from Asus website. Can I install this apk through adb since I only have access to a Mac computer now? Thanks!

TremF

Jun 18, 2010
I wasn't going to root just yet but if it's as easy as this then I guess I'm convinced. It also means I can run the ezoverclock just released too. What a good day this turned out to be :)
Thank you!

TremF

Jun 18, 2010
How to verify whether the TH101 is rooted in the end? Thanks!

I have an app I purchased for my phone (there is a free version) called Root Uninstaller Pro. I installed that and it asked for Superuser permissions - you only get these if rooted and Superuser is installed :)
Superuser verifies that Root Uninstaller Pro has superuser permissions :)

I can't believe how easy this was :) Thanks again dev :)

Reactions: mj56gt

mj56gt

Feb 18, 2011
just download the free app called root checker. plus download voodoo OTA rootkeeper to save n backup your root file. so it can be restored after an Over the Air update.

YES!!! Success! Really easy, and a lot of fun... Thanks a lot, rhcp0112345 and sparkym3 for the wonderful tool, demandarin and TremF for the quick help!

Last edited:
Reactions: TremF

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
How to verify whether the TH101 is rooted in the end? Thanks!

I have been making a few changes tonight:
1. button to launch the backup app (instead of searching for the icon)
2. indicator of if the su file exists with correct permissions
3. indicator of if the SuperUser app is installed

These should take care of showing you if it has successfully rooted. I will update the OP with the new version once I am done.

Reactions: trollallot

the2rrell

Jun 27, 2011
mine did that too until i used the root checker tool. then titanium and root explorer gave me root access.

try that.

i just cant seem to get CWM on this thing

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
Followed all steps and didnt get rooted. Busybox and titanium said no root access after tryin this app. :confused:

I have updated the app to do the checks to see if everything is set up correctly. Would you try with the new version and let me know your results.

CHANGES: 3/3/2012
Updated SuperUser app to the latest version (you would have gotten a market update anyway)
Added indicators for if the su binary is there and if it has the proper read/execute permissions.

Reactions: trollallot

pbezza

Sep 19, 2010
Australia
Followed all steps and didnt get rooted. Busybox and titanium said no root access after tryin this app. :confused:

Stuffed around for a while after installing this app and tried to confirm root access. Seemed that some apps reckoned I had root and some not so much.

Went to market and installed 'Busybox' by STEPHEN (STERICCSON) and root was perfect after this. Even 'Voodoo OTA RootKeeper' was happy after installing Busybox.

Edit: Forgot to mention. I have a TF201 running Android 4.03, Build 9.4.2.15

Last edited:

iamhcg

Mar 26, 2011
Thanks for sharing another way of rooting. I do love Viperboy's work. However, vipertime installed it's own version of busybox, and somehow caused the Asus backup application failing to function. It's always nice to know that there's another way to root.

And Please, do add on an Unroot option, and it'll be all perfect.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This APK root method is currently based on the busybox exploit that rhcp0112345 found, so thanks to him. I currently do not have a donation link in the app for him, but I will add one if he sends me the link and anybody can jump over to his original post if they would like.

This is an interim step of this app as I have been trying to finish a more complicated root method, since this one is most likely to get patched shortly. Also, in future updates I will be adding an unroot method as well as possible rootkeeper type functionality and depending on feedback I may add a quick install for the unlock tool.

The steps are similar to the PC version except it only requires a button press to perform the step.
    1. Install this app (SparkyRoot)
    2. Click step 1, Exploit (will move the files around and replace the busybox file)
    3. Click step 2, Open up the ASUS App Backup tool and backup an app (you can use this one, its small)
    4. Return to this app and Click step 3 Install SuperUser (will install the SuperUser app)
    5. Click step 4, Cleanup (will cleanup all of the temporary files and revert the busybox file)
    6. Profit???

UPDATE: 3/3/2012 - v1.1 - enhancements
    Added indicators for if the su binary is there and if it has the proper read/execute permissions

UPDATE: 3/5/2012 - v1.2 - minor update
    Added donation link for rhcp0112345
    He also requested that I put his link in this thread so here are those
    (TF101) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1515470
    (TF201) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1518429

UPDATE: 3/18/2012 - v1.3 – enhancement/fix
    Fixed issue where if you have never opened the app backup tool before the rooting would fail due to not accepting the terms of service
    Added an unroot option (the current method requires superuser installed so that it can grant this app permission to unroot)
    From comments below, it appears that there may be an issue with checking you root access in correlation to Root Checker and BusyBox. I have never installed either of these apps on my device and have never seen the issue. To help clear some of this up I have added a check into my app that will tell you if the files are all set up properly, with proper permissions.

Also, make sure the SuperUser app is running in the background so that it can give root access to apps that you specify (if it is not running, your device will appear to not be rooted).

If you are having any issues, and you are using these apps, I would recommend that you uninstall them prior to rooting and then reinstall them after you have finished running the app to root the device and then reboot the device.

FYI
    This root app has been confirmed working on certain versions of the ASUS Transformer (TF101), Transformer Prime (TF201), Transformer (TF300) Devices.
    This includes
    v9.4.2.15 for the TF201
    v9.2.1.11 for the TF101
    v9.4.3.17 for the TF300

This method (as it is currently implemented) no longer works with:
    v9.4.2.21 for the TF201
    v9.2.1.17 for the TF101
    v9.4.3.26 for the TF300

To root on one of these non-supported ROM versions, please use this new root tool I have created.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1706588
    I receive "Parse error" and it display "There is a problem parsing the package".

I already shut down my laptop, try downloading again and if you still have issues let me know and I will reupload it once I make it home.
    The problem is that every one who could have found an exploit is already unlocked.

I wouldn't say everyone, and one can still find exploits if one is unlocked since one still has access to the code and OS updates.

I am not unlocked, since I am still waiting to RMA mine for a screen defect and though that should not be affected by unlocking (since it is a hardware defect) I don't plan on taking that chance, and I am currently looking for a new exploit (I released the first root method for the TP201 on ICS). But, I am not finding too much time to work on it around spending time with my family.
    im getting this tablet tomorrow and would like to root it, there are so many threads regarding this process, can someone summarize: dos and donts? also can the tablet be unrooted after?

Thank you

Unfortunately, the forum has become a bit confusing for newcomers. To summarise for you:

1. If your device comes to you still with ICS then the method described in the OP of this thread should get you rooted.

2. You will lose root again if you update to Jelly Bean. Protecting root with Voodoo Rootkeeper left many of us with only partial root after upgrade but we had success getting full root back using the method HERE.

3. If your tablet has already been upgraded to Jelly Bean then the only way to root at this time is to unlock the bootloader using the official Asus tool, flash a new Recovery and then install an already rooted custom ROM. The unlock process is irreversible.