MyTouch 4G stuck on boot loop, s-on

Search This thread

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
As already mentioned, and I'll stress it: you DON'T need to move to FASTBOOT section of the bootloader. The auto-update is done on HBOOT section.

Format your SD card while it's connected to PC with card reader.
Put the file on SD card - it should be the only existing file. Name it correctly. If you don't have extensions showing in your OS - name it PD15IMG and not PD15IMG.ZIP. If you don't know - try once with and once without the .ZIP in the name.
Put the card in your phone.
Boot with VolDown+Power.
It should ask you for update.
If it doesn't - it means you can't follow the guides because you keep misunderstanding something, so give the phone back to your friend and advise him to take it to someone who can.

safdarhp

Dec 27, 2010
As already mentioned, and I'll stress it: you DON'T need to move to FASTBOOT section of the bootloader. The auto-update is done on HBOOT section.

Format your SD card while it's connected to PC with card reader.
Put the file on SD card - it should be the only existing file. Name it correctly. If you don't have extensions showing in your OS - name it PD15IMG and not PD15IMG.ZIP. If you don't know - try once with and once without the .ZIP in the name.
Put the card in your phone.
Boot with VolDown+Power.
It should ask you for update.
If it doesn't - it means you can't follow the guides because you keep misunderstanding something, so give the phone back to your friend and advise him to take it to someone who can.

Like I have said before, I have tried that. It isn't working. I have tried it with all the kinds of .zip files via the link provided earlier, but still the phone won't read it. I do the "volume down + power key" combo and it takes me to the hboot screen. It's not doing anything else.

If there is any other method of restoring the phone, please help. Maybe there is something wrong with the SD card reader? Is that problem common in MyTouch 4G?

coupetastic-droid

Dec 25, 2010
cali
Thanks for the link. Tried with all .zip files, no luck :(

The phone isn't reading the file. "S-on" means no superuser permissions right? Is that why I can't get the phone to read the .zip file?

then you're definitely putting the zip in the wrong place. You're putting the zip in a folder that's already in the sdcard and not on the actual sdcard itself.

safdarhp

Dec 27, 2010
then you're definitely putting the zip in the wrong place. You're putting the zip in a folder that's already in the sdcard and not on the actual sdcard itself.

No no, it's definitely not in any folder, since there was no folder after I had formatted the card. It was just in the card, and the name was PD15IMG.zip (with extensions enabled).

safdarhp

Dec 27, 2010
Please someone, help me. I am still stuck here :( I have tried all the methods told so far, and followed them to the dot. However, I still don't have any luck. MyTouch 4G is still stuck on the "MyTouch 4G" screen boot-loop, and all I can do is get it into the hboot mode, however that has proven of no help so far.

Someone please tell me what's going on. Getting desperate now :confused:

coupetastic-droid

Dec 25, 2010
cali
No no, it's definitely not in any folder, since there was no folder after I had formatted the card. It was just in the card, and the name was PD15IMG.zip (with extensions enabled).

That's probably why then. The extensions being enabled. Make sure the pd15img only has one .zip and not .zip.zip. the extension might be adding another .zip after the first .zip

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009

In that case, use another SD card, download PD15IMG again and verify its MD5SUM.

If you think you did everything correctly and your HBOOT won't load anything and won't prompt you for update ("Do you want to update? VolDown-yes, VolUp-no", something like that) - read the last part of my previous post.

...Awesome...

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 10, 2010
Chicago
plus.google.com
Lets go back to the beginning:
1: do u know what version your pphone had?
2 do u know if u got the upgrade
3: if ur phone had the upgrade and has current version u can't CANT load the file thru hboot YOU CANT!!!
4: You have to forcefully use Adb-Fastboot to downgrade install froyo 2.2.1 to gain temp root then root or just use it to downgrade and install the current version after you are able to boot up your phone

Sent from my ...Awesome... device XDA

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
He can't "forcefully use" anything, because he has no OS.
And no matter what his current OS is, the bootloader will STILL ASK FOR UPDATE, just notify that it fails, when it checks the ZIP. And in this case he can try to run Panache RUU.

...Awesome...

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 10, 2010
Chicago
plus.google.com
I beg to differ the hboot will not update if its the same version that the OS is it may be corrupt but if he's trying to update with the same file it wont let you....

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

pspitbull

Jul 27, 2009
N.J.
Same Problem, some more details

So I'm having the same problems as safdarhp and stumbled upon this looking for an answer to my friends problems with her device. She applied the update but the battery died at 81% completion so it failed. She then found out how to get into recovery from Youtube and tried to factory reset, Bootloop again. That's where I took over. Fastboot is off, but so is USB Debugging. I removed the SD card and put it into my phone, and put the updated PD15IMG (after verifying MD) on to the root of her SD. I returned the SD into her phone and booted into Bootloader, these are all pretty similar preliminary steps I learned back on the G1. Once that all failed I turned to searching XDA, I've found guides that tell me to do what I've done already. the only new information I see is from ...Awesome... saying to force ADB. How can I force ADB if USB debugging is off? Like I said I am no expert in root, but I understand enough with all the phones I've rooted. Can someone point me in the right direction?

sp0rkticus

Dec 14, 2010
Not entirely a n00b (but not discarding it either) safdarhp, when you formatted your SD card, what format did you use? Because I believe it won't work on FAT and that it has to be FAT32. I tried it in FAT and it wouldn't recognize the file. Once I formatted to FAT32 it recognized the file but since its older it wouldn't update it.

pspitbull

Jul 27, 2009
N.J.
Ok safdarhp i had the same problem as you if you read my post right above ... and up until now I was stuck ... I used cnote's link to re-download the pd15img (i used the file that says new)

Try one of these pd15IMG files they will work. http://www.4shared.com/folder/xDsyJF52/_online.html

My SD card was FAT32 like sp0rkticus said it should be, but it wasn't working. So i backed up all my files through another phone to my computer, and re-formated the SD card again to clean it out on the off chance that it might work with just the PD15MG on there, and success!! Hopefully it is just a simple re-format for you as well.

Waynesta

Apr 5, 2012
Toronto
Ive tried the files from the link given(4shared one) and whenever i try to update it says CID incorrect what does that mean?

eric303

Jun 20, 2010
I have the same problems as the above posters.

My phone wont read the PD15IMG.zip , i've done this on a few other MT4Gs before and they all worked so I know i'm not doing it wrong, could it be another reason it wont read it?

Its on
Gaaclier PVT ship S-on
HBOOT-0.86.0000
MICROP-0429
RADIO-26.03.02.26_M
eMMC-boot

Can i force like a RUU through the Hboot screen?

superperry

Dec 19, 2003
Seattle, WA

My phone wont read the PD15IMG.zip , i've done this on a few other MT4Gs before and they all worked so I know i'm not doing it wrong, could it be another reason it wont read it?

Its on
Gaaclier PVT ship S-on
HBOOT-0.86.0000
MICROP-0429
RADIO-26.03.02.26_M
eMMC-boot

I got the same problem - phone just keep rebooting. I am able to flash PD15IMG.zip it complete the process "update complete" but it still keeps rebooting.

Any help please!

Reactions: Packers1337

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the same problem that my phone keeps rebooting. I think its a hardware problem. I read somewhere that twisting the body of phone slightly while its trying to boot helps and it does work. Hold it at the top and bottom and twist it slightly and it will boot up fine. Meaning there is definitely some connection problem n the hardware that inhibits it from booting. Someone should open it up and check where exactly the problem lies.
    Unfortunately, there is no hope. Stuck during the "updating..." phase means the same as Fail-PU - your partition can't be written to, either because of corrupted bootloader, or because of corrupted partition space - both being a result of faulty eMMC.
    Root of SdCard = the microSD card that u can remove you place it in there not within a folder...

Internal Memory = the phones memory unless you know what ur doing don't mess with those files...

Try one of these pd15IMG files they will work. http://www.4shared.com/folder/xDsyJF52/_online.html

Its on
    Gaaclier PVT ship S-on
    HBOOT-0.86.0000
    MICROP-0429
    RADIO-26.03.02.26_M
    eMMC-boot

I got the same problem - phone just keep rebooting. I am able to flash PD15IMG.zip it complete the process "update complete" but it still keeps rebooting.

Any help please!