[Q] Custom Boot Animation

Search This thread

JellyWoo

Oct 29, 2012
How do you change the boot animation for the G3? I tried the standard way of replacing the bootanimation.zip file in system/media, then changing the permissions, but it doesn't seem to be working. When I reboot the system, there is only a black screen while booting. Also, does anyone have a backup of the original boot animation? I forgot to make a backup while playing around with it.

LgG2-Ttrain

Jan 13, 2014
Birmingham
I have had that some problem before also I just kept trying others until one worked. As far as the stock one I just renamed mine, I try not to delete that stuff. If no one helps you out I can get you a link when I get home tonight.

Reactions: JellyWoo

bunchies

Dec 30, 2012
Land of Ooo
How do you change the boot animation for the G3? I tried the standard way of replacing the bootanimation.zip file in system/media, then changing the permissions, but it doesn't seem to be working. When I reboot the system, there is only a black screen while booting. Also, does anyone have a backup of the original boot animation? I forgot to make a backup while playing around with it.

Which one were you trying to use, the desc file could have been incorrect or something with the images could be causing it
naming/placement

heres a stock one
when copying a new one over, just rename the stock one to bootanimation.bak & leave it in the media folder :p

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    17.4 MB · Views: 431
Reactions: JellyWoo

JellyWoo

Oct 29, 2012
Which one were you trying to use, the desc file could have been incorrect or something with the images could be causing it
naming/placement

heres a stock one
when copying a new one over, just rename the stock one to bootanimation.bak & leave it in the media folder :p

Thanks! I usually make a backup, but forgot to. I was trying to get this one to work: reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2ac4f2/i_made_a_marvel_dc_character_loop_boot_animation/

bunchies

Dec 30, 2012
Land of Ooo
Thanks! I usually make a backup, but forgot to. I was trying to get this one to work: reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2ac4f2/i_made_a_marvel_dc_character_loop_boot_animation/

Well i tried multiple edits of the desc file and it seems to be the pictures themselves
they're 480x800, i swear i remember being able to use lower resolution images for a bootanimation and it would still work but i think im mistaken

so request a 1440x2560 version
i have a batch file somewhere to automatically resize a list of images but i feel like it would stretch the images and make them look horrible

JellyWoo

Oct 29, 2012
Well i tried multiple edits of the desc file and it seems to be the pictures themselves
they're 480x800, i swear i remember being able to use lower resolution images for a bootanimation and it would still work but i think im mistaken

so request a 1440x2560 version
i have a batch file somewhere to automatically resize a list of images but i feel like it would stretch the images and make them look horrible

Darn. Thanks for trying!

IamPro

Dec 2, 2010
Was doing it manually but too much work, now I just use Boot Animations app.. Much quicker

phobos512

Mar 1, 2009
So not sure if this has been figured out or not but I was playing around with this last night. I attempted to use the Red Helix boot animation from this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1002893

I pulled the boot .zip file out of the flashable zip and downloaded it to my phone and moved it over with Root Explorer, changing the permissions to match the original file (which I saved and appended with .bak). Upon boot however, only the repeating portion plays.

As you all know the stock boot animation is four different sets of files, two for the Quick Circle case and two for the full screen. Each is the loading animation (plays once) and then the waiting animation (repeating until the home screen is ready). In the new boot animation I tried it's just a full screen loading and a full screen waiting animation in two folders. However as I stated above only the repeating portion plays for both the loading and waiting periods (I can tell when it switches as the screen flashes black in between). I tried matching the folder structure in my zip file to the stock animation (four folders and associated config file) but that resulted in the phone staying on the LG screen until the home screen was ready. I can't figure out how to get the actual loading portion of the animation to play. I don't mind just the repeating portion playing (it's a red Android mascot with a white/red light going in a circle underneath and looks pretty cool) but I'd still like to see the full animation.

Any ideas? Might it be related to the desired frame rate (45 vice stock 30)?

aznsensazn29

Jan 12, 2013
So not sure if this has been figured out or not but I was playing around with this last night. I attempted to use the Red Helix boot animation from this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1002893

I pulled the boot .zip file out of the flashable zip and downloaded it to my phone and moved it over with Root Explorer, changing the permissions to match the original file (which I saved and appended with .bak). Upon boot however, only the repeating portion plays.

As you all know the stock boot animation is four different sets of files, two for the Quick Circle case and two for the full screen. Each is the loading animation (plays once) and then the waiting animation (repeating until the home screen is ready). In the new boot animation I tried it's just a full screen loading and a full screen waiting animation in two folders. However as I stated above only the repeating portion plays for both the loading and waiting periods (I can tell when it switches as the screen flashes black in between). I tried matching the folder structure in my zip file to the stock animation (four folders and associated config file) but that resulted in the phone staying on the LG screen until the home screen was ready. I can't figure out how to get the actual loading portion of the animation to play. I don't mind just the repeating portion playing (it's a red Android mascot with a white/red light going in a circle underneath and looks pretty cool) but I'd still like to see the full animation.

Any ideas? Might it be related to the desired frame rate (45 vice stock 30)?

Bump! I've tried changing the desc file for the boot animation I'm using from say p 1 0 part0 to p 2 0 part0 for a maybe lucky fix, but no dice. I'd also really like to know what's going on with this.

dancer79uk

Oct 11, 2015
I know it's an old thread, but I have an old school BIOS boot animation that does this too, only the repeating part of the animation shows up. I don't use the circle case and the option is switched off in the Display menu. Did you ever get a fix for this? Thanks.

Top Liked Posts