Power button not working suddenly

Search This thread

Shift2win

Dec 11, 2010
Last night while using my phone it suddenly rebooted itself, and when it came back on the power button no longer worked. I could use the volume buttons to wake the phone, but even that stopped working after a while. I went to sleep and let it charge overnight, and when I woke up, all was working normally. Its been normal all day until a few min ago, the phone rebooted and now once again the power button wont work. Anyone had this problem? Any suggestions, besides take it to Sprint, which I will do if it continues?

Shift2win

Dec 11, 2010
Well I took it to a Sprint store and the tech said the button is physically fine, and worked when doing a hard reset but once the phone came back on it went back to not working again. So he thinks it's a software issue and ordered me a replacement. And my E4GT is completely stock, never rooted. Just decided to let u guys know just in case anyone else happens to have the same problem.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Reactions: Azralag

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
just wondering how long you have had your phone before this bug, any other issues before this.
Pp.

sent from my microwave ala XDA premium.

rbtrucking

Dec 19, 2011
Well I took it to a Sprint store and the tech said the button is physically fine, and worked when doing a hard reset but once the phone came back on it went back to not working again. So he thinks it's a software issue and ordered me a replacement. And my E4GT is completely stock, never rooted. Just decided to let u guys know just in case anyone else happens to have the same problem.

If it is a software problem which it sounds like to me I would root that thing and throw a rom on there and see if that works. Preferably Phantom Hackers Blazer rom 4.1 Pure win!

latoso

Mar 23, 2010
Astoria,NY
I have almost the same issue, mine will reboot and the battery will drop from 90% to 50 or 40% once i had 59% rebooted and drop to only 6% i changed different batts, changed roms back to stock and the same, i will take to sprint

kingcaliyone

Nov 10, 2011
Atlanta
Last night while using my phone it suddenly rebooted itself, and when it came back on the power button no longer worked. I could use the volume buttons to wake the phone, but even that stopped working after a while. I went to sleep and let it charge overnight, and when I woke up, all was working normally. Its been normal all day until a few min ago, the phone rebooted and now once again the power button wont work. Anyone had this problem? Any suggestions, besides take it to Sprint, which I will do if it continues?

If it is a software problem which it sounds like to me I would root that thing and throw a rom on there and see if that works. Preferably Phantom Hackers Blazer rom 4.1 Pure win!

my phone did the same thing i rooted it an put caulk rom an it worked again...been working ever since

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

I have almost the same issue, mine will reboot and the battery will drop from 90% to 50 or 40% once i had 59% rebooted and drop to only 6% i changed different batts, changed roms back to stock and the same, i will take to sprint

if u are rooted u might wanna wipe the battery stats first an see if that helps.go into recovery an look for wipe its the last one ..mite save u a trip to sprint

Reactions: latoso

That Future

Jul 31, 2011

I have this problem right now it came out of no where and was working fine till now. When I flashed a new rom my power button still wont work.

Reactions: IA-32e

IA-32e

Oct 6, 2011
Portland, OR
My power button isn't working either. My phone randomly reboots and isn't usable. My buddy gave me his old Samsung Moment to use :( It's like I'm back in the stone age with this thing. No insurance on my E4GT either FML.

tdunham

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
My power button isn't working either. My phone randomly reboots and isn't usable. My buddy gave me his old Samsung Moment to use :( It's like I'm back in the stone age with this thing. No insurance on my E4GT either FML.
It's still under a year old isn't it? Take it in and spend the $35.00 for Sprint to troubleshoot and replace it under warranty.

Reactions: IA-32e

hooshR

Sep 9, 2010
I was having this issue with my e4gt so i tried to flash a new ROM onto it. That didn't work, so I restored it to factory using this one-click Odin method http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1721229

Since the power button didn't function for me I had to use Terminal Emulator to reboot into download mode. Restoring to factory seemed to have restored the power button. I had a few phantom reboots but the phone has been running for 13 hours right now. Seems to be fixed. I plan on waiting a week before rooting it again, in case i decide to take it to Sprint.

Hope this helps

divineazn716

HELP!!

I was having this issue with my e4gt so i tried to flash a new ROM onto it. That didn't work, so I restored it to factory using this one-click Odin method http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1721229

Since the power button didn't function for me I had to use Terminal Emulator to reboot into download mode. Restoring to factory seemed to have restored the power button. I had a few phantom reboots but the phone has been running for 13 hours right now. Seems to be fixed. I plan on waiting a week before rooting it again, in case i decide to take it to Sprint.

Hope this helps

did that fix the problem? im on the universe 2.1 rom and for some odd reason while i left my phone on the table it all of a sudden rebooted and my power button wasnt working either? well can you let me know if that fixed the problem for you? I cant use the power button at all and whenever i take out my battery and put it back in, it automatically starts my phone up right when i put the battery in. but please let me know if urs is fine now. thanks

sh*t, nevermind i just tried to do the odin one click and it restored my factory settings and everything but the power button still doesnt work... =( damnit!!

ok nevermind that too... sorry for blowing up your post but just wanted to inform that i just applied more pressure to the power button and held it there for a few seconds and then let go and all of a sudden the power button started working again... i was reading through other posts about this and they said that it happens often with this phone... but this is how i ended up fixing mine if the odin one click doesnt work...

Last edited:

oscarthegrouch

Jun 19, 2011
http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-epic-4g-touch/

For those of you who don't have insurance, or those who this option is cheaper, they can replace the power button for $35. I didn't look if it includes shipping. If it were me, and I had a little more money, I'd get the power button and usb port changed to new ones at the same time. The port might go out eventually and it saves you the time and hassle of sending it in again. Hell, $75 is still cheaper than paying the $100 deductible if sprint tries to make you pay that for a refurb.

acrite04

Jun 16, 2012
My phone started rebooting constantly since last week. I went back to the ICS 4.03 ROM and it was ok for a few days and then it starting rebooting again yesterday. Today once the phone screen goes off it comes back on and when i press the power button to turn the screen off, it restarts. The only time it acts normal is when it is charging. I do have insurance so I'm thinking about removing the superuser app and taking it to sprint. My question is will they try fixing it before giving me a replacement & will it be refurbished? I'm at wit's end with this phone. I loved this phone until last week

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
My phone started rebooting constantly since last week. I went back to the ICS 4.03 ROM and it was ok for a few days and then it starting rebooting again yesterday. Today once the phone screen goes off it comes back on and when i press the power button to turn the screen off, it restarts. The only time it acts normal is when it is charging. I do have insurance so I'm thinking about removing the superuser app and taking it to sprint. My question is will they try fixing it before giving me a replacement & will it be refurbished? I'm at wit's end with this phone. I loved this phone until last week

If you can go back to gingerbread(clean install) you should give that a try before you go back to sprint and find your self back at square one after flashing ics, replacement phone may have gb installed. Run some stock rooted gb for a while and see what happens.

Pp.

Sent from my ginger infused Mayan calculator.

acrite04

Jun 16, 2012
If you can go back to gingerbread(clean install) you should give that a try before you go back to sprint and find your self back at square one after flashing ics, replacement phone may have gb installed. Run some stock rooted gb for a while and see what happens.

Pp.

Sent from my ginger infused Mayan calculator.

I did that & it was ok for a few days then it started again...today it worked better than most days but the power button still wont turn the screen off if I press it

ShoePhone

Jan 30, 2012
I have the same symptoms with mine, which started 2 days ago while out of town. The only difference being my power button goes from hyper-sensitive in that if I even brush my finger by it it closes the screen to not registering anything no matter how hard I click. Any way to tell via logs, etc if this is hardware or software? Phone is unuseable with the constant reboots...

ShoePhone

Jan 30, 2012
Update

Had been running Calks 3.0 before the power button issue, so decided to start over to see if it helped:

1) Ran Calks Format All

2) Reflashed 3.0

3) Ran his Bare ROM Converter

Result: Problem disappeared, so far. Will report back if anything changes, but worth a complete reformat and reflash try since I am out of warranty as an original adopter 9/16/11.

danlovelace

Dec 3, 2011
this just happened to me while running cm10 alphas. power button wouldn't work at all and occasionally it would just reboot.

i full wiped and installed one of agat's mods. we'll see what happens.

ShoePhone

Jan 30, 2012
Had been running Calks 3.0 before the power button issue, so decided to start over to see if it helped:

1) Ran Calks Format All

2) Reflashed 3.0

3) Ran his Bare ROM Converter

Result: Problem disappeared, so far. Will report back if anything changes, but worth a complete reformat and reflash try since I am out of warranty as an original adopter 9/16/11.
Everything was perfect since the re-flash UNTIL I took a flight and the same problem with the power button started again. Whats funny is the last time the same thing happened. Chain of events:

1) Two weeks ago phone was perfect running Calks 3.0 GB ROM and had been for the last 3-4 months. Stock rooted for 5 months prior.

2) Went to airport, phone went thru security scanner and boarded plane.

3) Prior to departing, checked phone and noticed the power button didnt turn screen back on.

4) Pulled battery/ put back in, and the phone rebooted without me pressing the power button, which it never had previously.

5) Phone boots back up to lockscreen, and notice the power button is hyper-sensitive (If I lightly brush my finger against it, the "Power Off, Reset, Recovery...." screen pops up. Its like the power button has become a capacitance button like the four at the bottom face of the phone.

6) Try using, and it randomly reboots, even completely avoiding the right edge of the phone (power button side)

7) If phone screen is allowed to go dark, power button wont awaken it, but volume buttons sometimes will...Also, plugging/unplugging into charger will awaken screen. If I reboot the phone with it charging, it turns off and goes into charging mode with the green battery bar graph.

8) Struggled with the phone screen turning on/off, randomly rebooting with/without touching, turning, using, etc.

9) Arrived home and after many attempts, booted into Rogue Recovery, wiped/all format/reflashed Calks 3.0/Bare ROM converter and phone was just as it was before....Until 5 days later when I boarded another flight.......Why?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

my phone did the same thing i rooted it an put caulk rom an it worked again...been working ever since

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

if u are rooted u might wanna wipe the battery stats first an see if that helps.go into recovery an look for wipe its the last one ..mite save u a trip to sprint

I have this problem right now it came out of no where and was working fine till now. When I flashed a new rom my power button still wont work.
    It's still under a year old isn't it? Take it in and spend the $35.00 for Sprint to troubleshoot and replace it under warranty.
    I'm a technician at sprint and this issue has me stumped. I've taken them apart and even replaced buttons. Still no dice.....

If I see any more ppl coming with effed up epic touches I'm gonna scream. Replacing phones is killing my numbers and repair rates. Ics is a curse to once a great phone.

Sent from my Genesis that does what Nintendon't