Offline GPS Solution for Android? (no data plan needed, just like Windows Mobile GPS)

Search This thread

mrkite38

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 30, 2009
California
I have been 100% factual in my statements. Offline GPS routing and maps are not available like they are on WinMo.....that is what I wanted to know when I posted this thread, and I got my answer. I am sorry you don't like the answer.

Besides, I already said I might go back to WinMo in a week.

Sounds like you're waiting on vendors like tomtom, not android... and those old programs for winmo were marketed in a time when data plans weren't mandatory. I think we all see the utility of a program that doesn't rely on a data connection but you literally have to have one to get a gps-enabled phone today.

Y'know, it's almost like they didn't take the vogue-android community into consideration when they made that decision. Insensitive, I think.

Borkata81

Jan 26, 2009
I have been 100% factual in my statements. Offline GPS routing and maps are not available like they are on WinMo.....that is what I wanted to know when I posted this thread, and I got my answer. I am sorry you don't like the answer.

Besides, I already said I might go back to WinMo in a week.

Yes there is offline GPS application and it is called MotoNav and is actually iGO Amigo. It is not free, but there is a way to be installed as long as I know. MotoNav originally is provided to Motorola Milestone.

meknb

Nov 21, 2008
Merseyside
You can buy copilot live on DVD thats offline gps routing you dont need to download the maps if thats what you mean?
If you wanted to test copilot maybe you could try a android emulator don't know how good it is for windows "from your comment's i presume your a windows user" but works fine on linux.
When it's setup the maps are installed on your emulated sdcard in a folder called copilot copy that to the root of your sdcard for your device and try copilot on your device.

seanmcd72

Sep 11, 2007
Ok I take it back, I just updated my radio to 3.42.5 and looks like GPS is working better than ever! Not sure about not having a dataplan as when I had Windows, it always made an internet connection at first?

Well performance of the GPS is pretty poor - would start the Nav app and it would work for a few minutes then goto "Searching Sats" so I don't think it's quite there yet unless I'm missing something.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Well performance of the GPS is pretty poor - would start the Nav app and it would work for a few minutes then goto "Searching Sats" so I don't think it's quite there yet unless I'm missing something.

This would be a limitation of Android or the Nav app then, not the device or GPS chip, since in Windows Mobile I could get a lock in 30 seconds, and keep it as long as I was outside. Never had GPS lose it's lock once it had it.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
You can buy copilot live on DVD thats offline gps routing you dont need to download the maps if thats what you mean?
If you wanted to test copilot maybe you could try a android emulator don't know how good it is for windows "from your comment's i presume your a windows user" but works fine on linux.
When it's setup the maps are installed on your emulated sdcard in a folder called copilot copy that to the root of your sdcard for your device and try copilot on your device.

Yeah, I have tried three different CoPilot APK installers...

version 8.0.0.327
version 8.0.0.328
version 8.0.0.444

All of them show diagonally/slanted on my screen at startup, and you cannot correctly select any of the buttons. It is all skewed looking, then after a few seconds it makes some error noise and closes, back to the previous screen I was on before I ran the program, so I don't think CoPilot works with the Vogue/Android, at least not on this ROM at 240x320. Any advice on how to get it running would be appreciated...since it probably is the best standalone (no data needed) GPS app for Android.

meknb

Nov 21, 2008
Merseyside
Yes looked like that till i changed my lcd.density to 113 in the build.prop "nand" or default.txt "sdcard" or try plemen's build i think he use's lcd.density 113.
Im using myn's 240x320 build on a polaris so the lcd.density could be different on your phone so try a few.

stopthebus

Apr 3, 2006
I am on Plemen's donut and using copilot .328. I don't know if it needs data to run, but I did have to download the maps and related stuffs to the sd card first. It's not TomTom or Igo, but it's still is a gazillion times better than google. Google Nav's a joke, most of the time the destination is way off not to mention suggesting impossible/illegal turns. Don't even get me started on the misspell road names. I seriously hope not a lot of people are using it. It's distracting if not outright dangerous and I hate to see distracted/dangerous drivers on the road.

Pro:
Works
Never loose signal

Cons:
I do get the skewed image when I switch to landscape.
No Text to Speech.
Not very intuitive UI

I hope you give Copilot a shot before going back to Winmo.

Borkata81

Jan 26, 2009
It seems that there is already iGo My Way 2009 for Android, which runs in 320x480 (MotoNav for example is with 800x480 which is a problem). What I saw as comments is that iGo MyWay is locking pretty fast compared to MotoNav.

seanmcd72

Sep 11, 2007

I switched to radio version 3.42.40 instead of 3.42.50 last night. On the way to work, the Nav app never skipped a beat. I kept the phone on the passenger seat the whole time. w00t Kind of off subject as I have a data plan, but perhaps that radio may work for what you are looking for if you haven't tried it

prairiefire

Nov 13, 2008
Does the GPS hardware vary per carrier? I have never been able to get offline GPS in either winmo (when I was on it) or android when out of cell range. I'm on Bell. I've read that there are different types of A-GPS and I am pretty sure that Bell vogues have the type that first require checking in with Bell before enabling communication with GPS satellites.

kiwilime

Nov 3, 2009
I am on Plemen's donut and using copilot .328. I don't know if it needs data to run, but I did have to download the maps and related stuffs to the sd card first. It's not TomTom or Igo, but it's still is a gazillion times better than google. Google Nav's a joke, most of the time the destination is way off not to mention suggesting impossible/illegal turns. Don't even get me started on the misspell road names. I seriously hope not a lot of people are using it. It's distracting if not outright dangerous and I hate to see distracted/dangerous drivers on the road.

Pro:
Works
Never loose signal

Cons:
I do get the skewed image when I switch to landscape.
No Text to Speech.
Not very intuitive UI

I hope you give Copilot a shot before going back to Winmo.

Data is required. When you first install it, it loads all of the data onto the root of your SD card, and then tries to download some other files. That's probably the only time you need internet, because CoPilot works offline, but it's been keeping me from using it because you can't use the GPS unless you download that file.

drewden123

Mar 8, 2008
just switch back to winmo...seems like you'll be much more content and not have to make so many complaints about android. actually just buy a tomtom...i think it might actually work well enough for your needs...no data required either.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Data is required. When you first install it, it loads all of the data onto the root of your SD card, and then tries to download some other files. That's probably the only time you need internet, because CoPilot works offline, but it's been keeping me from using it because you can't use the GPS unless you download that file.

Does anyone else have CoPilot 8.0.0.444 installed? Can you send me all your files in a ZIP other than the maps folder, because I already bought the 8.0.0.444 version with the USA maps, and I have copilot installed but it is looking for the download on startup...it will not go any further and just exit out, but if someone can send me the files from an already-downloaded copy, then that will mean that it won't try to download on mine, and I can use what I actually paid for :)

I am pretty sure this cannot be a breach or terms, asking for files, since I have a paid for copy as well. Oh - I have an upload site, so if you want the link, PM me. Thanks!

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Does the GPS hardware vary per carrier? I have never been able to get offline GPS in either winmo (when I was on it) or android when out of cell range. I'm on Bell. I've read that there are different types of A-GPS and I am pretty sure that Bell vogues have the type that first require checking in with Bell before enabling communication with GPS satellites.

You have to go through a lengthy process of modifying settings deep in the phone (called QPST settings), otherwsie it will only work like you said - in cell phone coverage which is called "Assisted GPS" (A-GPS). Once you do the QPST settings change, then you can have true satellite based only GPS. No signal needed...the GPS will even work in Airplane mode (when your cell signal/radio is disabled).

drewden123

Mar 8, 2008
You have to go through a lengthy process of modifying settings deep in the phone (called QPST settings), otherwsie it will only work like you said - in cell phone coverage which is called "Assisted GPS" (A-GPS). Once you do the QPST settings change, then you can have true satellite based only GPS. No signal needed...the GPS will even work in Airplane mode (when your cell signal/radio is disabled).

It's the other way around...at least for Verizon. GPS was standalone and the whole point in modifying the gpsOne settings in qpst was to enable agps for fast locks.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
so, anyone have a reply on how to get around the original download needed for CoPilot? this will solve my problem. I already have the full USA maps paid for and installed, I just need to get past that original download search...or if there is an INI setting I can tweak to make it not check for downloads at startup? It cost me

Thanks.

kiwilime

Nov 3, 2009
That would be great if I could avoid that download screen on CoPilot, I'm using the SD boot for android instead of NAND because I can't use the GPS feature on my vogue.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
*sigh*, I also tried iGo My Way v8.4.x with Texas maps, and when I start it up it says something to the extent of 'could not find application database', then just closes...

This is getting kinda expensive, now that I have bought iGo maps and CoPilot 8...is there really NOBODY that is trying to use GPS without data (i.e. like we have for years on WinMo? Seems silly to have to pay for a data plan to get GPS working, since it is a satnav chip). Just wondering if I am the only one who finds this unacceptable.

Thanks,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MapDroyd......
    HA

I have always been a WinMo user and had Garmin XT on an LG Incite and it worked sooo swift - with NO DATA PLAN.

Here is an explanation for those of you who have been badgering crobs808:

1) (Data plan for 48 mo.) x ($25 a month Data on ATT) = $1200.

^Hell no,

2) I buy an unlocked phone online for $130, find a GPS program, find maps.

Worked sometimes quicker than my brother's Sony Navigation.

Crobs is simply looking for GPS application development on Android. And I'm now in the same boat with Android, and it appears the progress is poor.
    I'm not sure all of you have considered all possible reasons for wanting an offline GPS system and the flaming of the OP is just stupid.

I got to this thread because I'm after the same thing - an offline GPS system that I can use without having to have a live data connection. I have a cheap unlimited data plan, but that all goes to sh1t when you're in the mountains and have sucky reception. You're travelling happily down a route when all of a sudden there's traffic or some other reason to warrant a change of road. But you're out of range from the nearest tower. With an online system, you're buggered. I've had it with that dependancy, it sucks botty.

So - does anyone have any sensible advice for finding an offline Android GPS system that someone can use IRRESPECTIVE of their reasons for wanting on?

Cheers.
    On the topic of GPS without a data plan, I've been wanting this forever. I'm glad so many people have suggested apps. I'm going to try all of these ideas. If I find a winner, I'll probably come back and thank you all again. Extra thanks to the OP for having the balls to continue insisting that this is a noble question that needs answering, because as time goes by, more people get a chance to answer it.

This thread cracks me up, because I just bought a phone with no data plan, no voice plan, and no plan to get any of those plans. Why? Because an Android portable device isn't always a "Smartphone" unless you use it as a "Smartphone".

To a developer, like a few of the people who read this thread probably are, an Android device is a device that can be used to satisfy many needs. I've used "Phones" as ebook readers since 2000, before Kindle was an idea in anyones head. I've used the HTC Universal as an entire PC for over a year, for nearly everything, and that was around 2005. I know a few friends that will drop hundreds on Arduino hardware to make a robot, an electronically controlled fish feeding system, or other bizarre custom applications, and they're all switching to Android for that type of use, simply because an Android phone can do many of the same things, and much more more, for a lower price. It's a shame so many people have repeated over and over again how Android = Smartphone. That's a little ridiculous from my point of view. I think the very developers who make Android, as well as the smart folks that port it from device to device are among the people who appreciate that Android will probably control your refridgerator someday, if not be the OS that runs on your commercially purchased GPS device. So, for that matter, why is it so crazy to use an Android device without a dataplan? I'm planning on using my 1GHZ Snapdragon processor carrying "HTC Droid Incredible" as an mp3 player, portable movie player, ebook reader, GPS (NOT A-GPS), Music Composer, Digital Recorder, Word Processor, and VOIP Client. Look up the cost of an 802.11g enabled VIOP phone, or an mp3 player that also plays DVD encoded movies and tell me again how I shouldn't buy an Android device sold as a "Smartphone" without a dataplan. And I have no problem affording data plans. I live in the US and have had unlimited for the past 5 years on a different phone. I don't see how that is relevant. I like to hike and dataplans don't work on the side of mountains surrounded by other mountains and no wireless base stations.
    Offline Android GPS List - No Internet Required

There are many offline Android GPS apps. Here are some of the better ones:

*CoPilot
    NavDroid
    *MapDroyd
    IGoMyWay
    Locus
    *Sygic
    Orux
    *TomTom
    *Navigon
    *NDrive
    Navitel
    *NavFree
    TravelDroyd
    Navit

* Seem to be the highest rated, but YMMV. :)

You can also download Google Maps for any area and use them offline, but you won't get vocal navigation or online directions, just GPS-sync'ed maps, like a paper map.

Many of these apps are FREE, and some are very inexpensive. No need to spend a lot of money.

The OSM Project (open street map) provides free maps that are used on a wide range of Android apps (openstreetmap dot org)

Before you commit to any app, always download a demo and use it for a few days.