CM7 / AOSP Boot sound [working]

Search This thread

teh roxxorz

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2010
Another user asked for this, and I helped him through it, so I decided to post it here so everyone can have access to it. I didn't create the file, just came across it one day being bored..I digress.

Credit to barnacles10 and lithid-cm

*NOTE: Anything in brackets is either description of what is happening or an action you need to perform; don't type in anything in brackets*

What you need to do to get a boot sound on CM7/AOSP is the following.

1. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19699565/bootsnd.sh Apparently some people had issues with the first link, so I uploaded it again. Download that file, place on your sdcard.

2. Take whatever sound you want and rename it to: android_audio.mp3 [needs to be mp3 format] and then place in your adb tools folder.

3. On your phone, open terminal emulator, and type in the following:

su [enter]
cd /sdcard [enter]
ls [to list all files, you should see bootsnd.sh]
sh bootsnd.sh [enter]

You won't see a confirmation, or message, it just runs, and returns you to a # sign.

From your computer, adb push the android_audio.mp3 to the /system/media folder, reboot, and you'll have a sound.

If you don't like / know how to use adb, using root explorer and placing the android_audio.mp3 in the system/media folder works just as well. Reboot, and enjoy your boot sound. :)

*NOTE*

If you flash / change roms, you'll have to re-run the process to enable the boot sound again. If you get tired of it / don't want it, you can use root explorer and delete the file.

Alternate method:

For those that don't like using the terminal emulator, you can do it via adb:

navigate to your adb folder via commanda prompt, then issue the following commands:

adb remount
adb shell
cd /sdcard
ls [will list files, you should see bootsnd.sh]
sh bootsnd.sh

Like in the emulator, you will be returned with a # sign. Then place the audio file in the folder I specified. Just decided like posting an alt method. Enjoy. :)

Last edited:

Vandelay007

Aug 9, 2010
Boston, Ma
Excellent, trying this now!

Edit: Works great on CM7 7.0.2.1!!! Nice find!

.........at 8 am today someone poisons the coffee....do not drink the coffee. More instructions will follow.

Cordially,
Future Dwight

Last edited:

beastinbolts

Apr 7, 2011
I really want this.. I just found this thread after searching and searching for an answer.. I just about gave up but I think I still my have a problem. My hboot version is 2.10 and dont think this will allow me to use pushboot.... any ideas

Youdoofus

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9
Another user asked for this, and I helped him through it, so I decided to post it here so everyone can have access to it. I didn't create the file, just came across it one day being bored..I digress.

1. Download that file, place on your sdcard.

that download just shows up as a text file... am i doin it wrong?

gReeNzZz

May 6, 2011
Miami
@teh roxxorz: Thanks a lot man. I had to search a longtime to find this. You're the man. Seems like CM7.02.1 doesn't have that bootsnd.sh file embedded. Maybe the latest stable has it. If I wasn't new to the forum I'd know how to hit you with a "Thank You"...

teh roxxorz

Nov 21, 2010

1. Download that file, place on your sdcard.

that download just shows up as a text file... am i doin it wrong?

The file should save as a .sh. If it doesn't show up as .sh when you are saving it, save it as all file types, and that should work as well.

If you double click it, it should prompt you with the "no program found...do you want to...blah blah" And it should show bootsound.sh

teh roxxorz

Nov 21, 2010
@teh roxxorz: Thanks a lot man. I had to search a longtime to find this. You're the man. Seems like CM7.02.1 doesn't have that bootsnd.sh file embedded. Maybe the latest stable has it. If I wasn't new to the forum I'd know how to hit you with a "Thank You"...

Well AOSP roms [i.e CM7] wasn't designed to have boot souns, so it probably won't be integrated [my speculation].

And if you ever want to "thank" anyone, at the bottom of every post, you'll see a "thanks" button, and then you have "thanked" them, and the user can see it.

Reactions: francisdsa

chefrjd33

Feb 9, 2011
Can't get this flashed. I tried to rename what I had downloaded from cyan's web site, Droid eye audio.zip, even tried to just flash it. A little help please

Sent from my ERIS ADR6200 using XDA App

Reactions: francisdsa

teh roxxorz

Nov 21, 2010
Can't get this flashed. I tried to rename what I had downloaded from cyan's web site, Droid eye audio.zip, even tried to just flash it. A little help please

Well if its a zip file. Extract the file, it should be an mp3 inside. Rename that file to android_auido [should have .mp3 extension already].

chefrjd33

Feb 9, 2011
It launches rom manager and tells me its a operating system. Did I get the wrong file.

Evo4sickness

Jan 18, 2011

1. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19699565/bootsnd.sh Download that file, place on your sdcard.

2. Take whatever sound you want and rename it to: android_audio.mp3 [needs to be mp3 format] and then place in your adb tools folder.

su [enter]
cd /sdcard [enter]
sh bootsnd.sh [enter]

You won't see a confirmation, or message, it just runs, and returns you to a # sign.

From your computer, adb push the android_audio.mp3 to the /system/media folder, reboot, and you'll have a sound.

If you don't like / know how to use adb, using root explorer and placing the android_audio.mp3 in the system/media folder works just as well. Reboot, and enjoy your boot sound. :)

*NOTE*

If you flash / change roms, you'll have to re-run the process to enable the boot sound again. If you get tired of it / don't want it, you can use root explorer and delete the file.

Ok just tried this without using adb as I think its million times better to just use a ftp app and get this done in seconds. But I dont know why its not working. I check the name to make sure I wasnt putting in the .mp3 twice and for some reason it wont play the file. And its in MP3 format.

cmurray77

Mar 15, 2011
Boise, ID
I had some that wouldn't play for some reason too. Try a different mp3 file and see id it work. If not did u get the bootsnd file placed on the root of sd card and pushed the file with adb. Or my preferred method terminal emulator.

Kings GB Destroyed EVO

Evo4sickness

Jan 18, 2011
I had some that wouldn't play for some reason too. Try a different mp3 file and see id it work. If not did u get the bootsnd file placed on the root of sd card and pushed the file with adb. Or my preferred method terminal emulator.

Kings GB Destroyed EVO

Really well I actually tried the audio from the driod just to see but I try a couple more. Yeah the problem with using those they are more timely and both USB ports are beyond ****ed right lol. But I should just be able to do this over FTP. Was there anything similar to the ones that worked to the ones that did.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Credit to barnacles10 and lithid-cm

*NOTE: Anything in brackets is either description of what is happening or an action you need to perform; don't type in anything in brackets*

1. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19699565/bootsnd.sh Apparently some people had issues with the first link, so I uploaded it again. Download that file, place on your sdcard.

su [enter]
    cd /sdcard [enter]
    sh bootsnd.sh [enter]

*NOTE*

Alternate method:

navigate to your adb folder via commanda prompt, then issue the following commands:

adb remount
    adb shell
    cd /sdcard
    sh bootsnd.sh

Like in the emulator, you will be returned with a # sign. Then place the audio file in the folder I specified. Just decided like posting an alt method. Enjoy. :)
    My version

Another user asked for this, and I helped him through it, so I decided to post it here so everyone can have access to it.

1. http://www.brieflygeek.com/downloads/bootsnd.sh or http://www.brieflygeek.com/downloads/bootsnd1.sh Apparently some people had issues with the first link, so I uploaded it again. IF you download from the SECOND link, remove the '1' in the name before continuing. Download that file, place on your sdcard.

su [enter]
    cd /sdcard [enter]
    sh bootsnd.sh [enter]

If you don't like / know how to use adb, using root explorer and placing the android_audio.mp3 in the system/media folder works just as well. Reboot, and enjoy your boot sound.

*NOTE*

Alternate method:

adb remount
    adb shell
    cd /sdcard
    sh bootsnd.sh

Like in the emulator, you will be returned with a # sign. Then place the audio file in the folder I specified.

Well AOSP roms [i.e CM7] wasn't designed to have boot souns, so it probably won't be integrated [my speculation].

And if you ever want to "thank" anyone, at the bottom of every post, you'll see a "thanks" button, and then you have "thanked" them, and the user can see it.

will reflashing install the bootsnd file that i need or do i need to dl it drom a link on the net

Dude no need to reflash rom unless you have issues with rom. Bootsnd.sh is not part of the rom it is a separate file. Just download bootsnd zip, unzip it at desktop and place file in root of sd card. Then type in the commands into terminal emulator then back out of terminal emulator then reboot. DONE
    Then you can place audio file in System>Media folder with es file explorer or root explorer and reboot to listen.