Customizing your Verizon Galaxy S4 - what's possible and what's not

Search This thread

seadooman

Aug 29, 2013
L. A.
Backing up with TWRP or CWM

Updated the OP with pointers to tools to tell the bootloader version and to mention the developer edition.

Once rooted can the stock MK2 ROM be backed up like normal and reinstalled because its not a custom ROM or am I completely locked into doing the ODIN Recovery. I looked and cannot seem to find an answer for this.

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Once rooted can the stock MK2 ROM be backed up like normal and reinstalled because its not a custom ROM or am I completely locked into doing the ODIN Recovery. I looked and cannot seem to find an answer for this.

As decaturbob said, you can install Safestrap recovery and back it up using that. Then, if you need to, you can re-flash to stock using ODIN, re-root, install Safestrap, then restore the backup. It may be easier, however, to restore apps using something like Titanium Backup.

seadooman

Aug 29, 2013
L. A.
As decaturbob said, you can install Safestrap recovery and back it up using that. Then, if you need to, you can re-flash to stock using ODIN, re-root, install Safestrap, then restore the backup. It may be easier, however, to restore apps using something like Titanium Backup.

If I use safe strap is there any chance that I could trigger knox?

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
If I use safe strap is there any chance that I could trigger knox?

Using Safestrap won't set the Knox Warranty Void flag. However, you need to understand what DOES set the flag: attempting to flash either an unsigned kernel or recovery, or flashing an older recovery.

So, if you root with Saferoot, then install Rom Manager and try to flash CWM on a Knox-enabled device, that will probably trip the Knox Warranty Void flag. That's not Saferoot's fault.

If you install Safestrap on MK2 and try to use it to restore a MDK nandroid backup, it'll also probably trip the flag. That's not Safestrap's fault.

I say "probably" above because I think in both of these cases, the flash will fail but not set the flag. It appears that only using ODIN to try to flash unapproved firmware actually trips the flag. However, I'm not going to experiment with my phone. :)

You have to be aware of what can and can't be done. There's a lot of misinformation and incomplete information out there, particularly you tube videos explaining how to install CWM on a "Galaxy S4" that NEVER mention that it's an unlocked Sprint phone. Or that it only works on MDK bootloaders. There's rooting techniques here on XDA for MDK that say "Not for ME7" when they should say "Not for anything past MDK". So, it's kind of a minefield. Read, learn, and be careful what you do. At the very least, you're risking a soft brick by messing about too much.

seadooman

Aug 29, 2013
L. A.
Using Safestrap won't set the Knox Warranty Void flag. However, you need to understand what DOES set the flag: attempting to flash either an unsigned kernel or recovery, or flashing an older recovery.

So, if you root with Saferoot, then install Rom Manager and try to flash CWM on a Knox-enabled device, that will probably trip the Knox Warranty Void flag. That's not Saferoot's fault.

If you install Safestrap on MK2 and try to use it to restore a MDK nandroid backup, it'll also probably trip the flag. That's not Safestrap's fault.

I say "probably" above because I think in both of these cases, the flash will fail but not set the flag. It appears that only using ODIN to try to flash unapproved firmware actually trips the flag. However, I'm not going to experiment with my phone. :)

You have to be aware of what can and can't be done. There's a lot of misinformation and incomplete information out there, particularly you tube videos explaining how to install CWM on a "Galaxy S4" that NEVER mention that it's an unlocked Sprint phone. Or that it only works on MDK bootloaders. There's rooting techniques here on XDA for MDK that say "Not for ME7" when they should say "Not for anything past MDK". So, it's kind of a minefield. Read, learn, and be careful what you do. At the very least, you're risking a soft brick by messing about too much.

[B I really don't need to install a different ROM at this time but I am wanting to remove some of the Bloat, Seems safe to say If I "screw up" I can use ODIN and reinstall the OEM MK2 and be safe?
Thanks for all your help.

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
[B I really don't need to install a different ROM at this time but I am wanting to remove some of the Bloat, Seems safe to say If I "screw up" I can use ODIN and reinstall the OEM MK2 and be safe?
Thanks for all your help.

Yup, there's always the stock ROM to recover from if you mistakenly remove too much.

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
One last Question: If I have read correctly flashing a stock MK2 ROM with ODIN will NOT trigger a KNOX 0x1 flag?

That's correct. Flashing a FACTORY STOCK won't trigger the Knox flag.
I emphasize "factory stock" because there's a bunch of "stock" ROMs that start from the stock images with minimal changes. Those won't flash cleanly using a MK2 bootloader.

Sanabsi

Jan 29, 2014
At&t mf3

Is there a way to flash modems on At&t SGS4 that has mf3 bootloader??

I couldn't find any thread on xda about.. Very sorry to post this here.

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Is there a way to flash modems on At&t SGS4 that has mf3 bootloader??

I couldn't find any thread on xda about.. Very sorry to post this here.

Flashing a modem is done through ODIN, but you must make sure that you flash only modems for your device,
Flashing a Verizon modem onto an AT&T device risks bricking it.

calebcabob

Jul 14, 2013
Massachusetts
Extremely helpful, well written and informative

How the hell does this thread only have 6 pages? And why have only 26 users thanked this extremely helpful member?:confused::fingers-crossed::good::good::good:

THANKS
THANKS
THANKS
THANKS
THANKS
THANKS
THANKS!!! If I could hit the Thanks button that many times, I would!:)

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
How the hell does this thread only have 6 pages? And why have only 26 users thanked this extremely helpful member?:confused::fingers-crossed::good::good::good:

THANKS
THANKS
THANKS
THANKS
THANKS
THANKS
THANKS!!! If I could hit the Thanks button that many times, I would!:)

Thanks. :)
I tried to sticky this, but as there's a similar thread in the General forum already stickied, it would be redundant.

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
Thanks. :)
I tried to sticky this, but as there's a similar thread in the General forum already stickied, it would be redundant.

I got this thread referenced in the stickie I was able to get done in the general section. I will most likely update in future as kitkat issues are resolved.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Hawk600

Sep 24, 2010
Hey guys I was wondering if anybody here can give me some quick help.
I am long time Android user and pretty familiar with rooting and flashing roms or installing custom recovery, however I am buying an used S4 this afternoon and I did not have time to research what I could install on it in case it does not have the MDK bootloader.

I understand I could not install TWARP on the new bootloaders but could I root the S4 and install a custom rom and block any OTA update?
I am trying to contact seller to see if she can provide me the bootloader info but I am not sure if she can do or knows how to do it.
Any input will be appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The number one reason people brick their Verizon Galaxy S4 phones is due to attempts to flash recovery using Goo Manager, dd, and other tools without understanding when those will or won't work. The Verizon S4 is very locked down, and will reject such attempts in most cases.

The only Verizon Galaxy S4 release that permits a custom recovery is a phone with the original MDK bootloader. Not checking first to tell what's installed before flashing will often break your phone.

1. What releases are there, and how can you tell what you have?

There are currently 7 different releases of the firmware for the I545.
    • VRUAMDK (Usually called just "MDK")
    • VRUAME7 ("ME7")
    • VRUDMI1 ("MI1")
    • VRUEMJ7 ("MJ7")
    • VRUEMK2 ("MK2")
    • VRUFNC2 ("NC2")
    • VRUFNC5 ("NC5")

There's another release that was apparently a leak or limited release, MG7.

You've got to know what bootloader and firmware you have installed before you do anything. The bootloader is the critical thing, but unless you're using a MDK bootloader, chances are that the bootloader on your phone is the same as the build version. To figure out what you're running, use the "Settings", "More", "About phone" menu. In most cases, the "Baseband version" displayed and the "Build number" will be the same, which tells you what build you're on. The best way to tell what bootloader you have is to install an app - "Phone INFO *Samsung*" and "Phone info" will both tell you what build and bootloader you have.

The "Developer Edition" devices have "I545OYUA" build numbers versus the consumer versions, which start with I545VR.

Once you're on a particular build, it is not possible to downgrade to an earlier release. The single exception to this is that you can flash MJ7 over MK2, but that's it.
    If you're past MDK, you can't bypass the bootloader until an exploit is found.

If you start flashing things without verifying that it's for the release on YOUR phone, you risk bricking it. There's dozens of youtube videos telling you how to flash custom recovery on your phone that WILL NOT WORK unless you're on the MDK bootloader. Be sure to comment in the youtube thread after they assist you with bricking your phone.

If you need to tell for sure what bootloader you're on, you can use applications like "Android System Info" (Open the "System" tab and the "Buildinfos" and look for Bootloader), or from a shell by using the command "getprop ro.bootloader". Use either adb shell or the "Terminal Emulator" app to do that.

2. What can you do with your phone?

Rooting:

For MDK, root using this link. or this link.
    For ME7, root using this link.
    For MI1, root using this link.
    For MJ7 and MK2, root using this link.
    For NC2 and NC5, you can't currrently root unless you downgrade the baseband to MK2.

If you want to install a custom recovery, you MUST have the MDK bootloader. Follow the MDK link above.

If the bootloader isn't "I545VRUAMDK" you have a locked bootloader and can only use Safestrap to install custom ROMs. Custom recovery is not possible. Attempts to install custom recovery will soft-brick your phone and require you to re-flash a stock ROM.

Information on Safestrap is available in this thread.

Recover by re-flashing stock

For MDK, Follow this link.
    For ME7,Follow this link.
    For MI1, Follow this link.
    For MJ7, there's a no-wipe and a full wipe image.
    For MK2, Follow this link.

Flash new Modems
    The firmware that runs the phone's radios, which allows you to connect to the networks (CDMA, LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth) can be updated independently of the bootloader. Flashing the MJ7 modem can get you new LTE bands, for example. Read here for information on available modems.

3. What to avoid

Every carrier's version of the Galaxy S4 is different. Things that work for the Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, and other carriers phones may not work on the Verizon version and can lead to bricking your phone. Don't do things just because it works on the T-mo, AT&T, or sprint phones unless you don't care if your phone is rendered useless.

Regardless of what you read, recommendations to use Goo Manager to flash custom recovery will not work and will soft brick your phone unless you're running the MDK bootloader. Don't do that.

If you manage to do the wrong thing and soft-brick your phone, search the Android Development forum for a factory image that can be flashed to recover it based on what baseband you started with.

For example, this image for MJ7 (Android 4.3).
    I posted this hoping it would become a sticky.
    Moderators: any chance? Or is this unacceptable since it's not a question?
    I posted this hoping it would become a sticky.
    Moderators: any chance? Or is this unacceptable since it's not a question?

this really needs to be a sticky as we all know how many aren't taking the time to more than a cursory check in these threads

---------- Post added at 06:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 AM ----------

The number one reason people brick their Verizon Galaxy S4 phones is due to attempts to flash recovery using Goo Manager, dd, and other tools without understanding when those will or won't work. The Verizon S4 is very locked down, and will reject such attempts in most cases.

The only Verizon Galaxy S4 release that permits a custom recovery is the original MDK baseband. Not checking first before flashing will often break your phone.

If you need to know what baseband you're on, use "Settings", "More", "About phone" and scroll down to the "Baseband Version".

Every carrier's version of the Galaxy S4 is different. Things that work for the Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, and other carriers phones may not work on the Verizon version and can lead to bricking your phone. Don't do things just because it works on the T-mo, AT&T, or sprint phones unless you don't care if your phone is rendered useless.

Regardless of what you read, recommendations to use Goo Manager to flash custom recoverywill not work and will soft brick your phone unless you're on the MDK baseband. Don't do that.

If you manage to do the wrong thing and soft-brick your phone, search the Android Development forum for a factory image that can be flashed to recover it based on what baseband you started with.

For example, this image for MJ7 (Android 4.3).

k1mu, I also created a step by step guide (with links) that walks you thru the entire process of going from ME7/MI1 to MJ7 by flashing the wipe tar image of MJ7, installing your saferoot, safestrap and HD11

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2579278

I was feeling pretty bad for all the people that were messing up their phone becasue od not understanding the entire process.
    Some clarification on OP for those with Dev Edition and more What’s possible Q's

Thank you, to k1mu and other contributors. It was an excellent idea especially for those starting out. I’ve found a couple of threads dedicated to the dev. edition but it

I have the Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545) - Verizon, Developer Edition.

Build number:
    JDQ39.I545OYUAMDK
    Baseband version: I545OYUAMDK
    Android Version 4.2.2

The OP stresses the importance of being mindful of your firmware version when following threads/guides so as not to brick one’s phone. I understand that shorthands like “MDK” are commonly used, but I’m not sure if these shorthands necessarily have wider implications of “any build number ending in MDK”. I’m not sure if all firmwares ending in “MDK” may be treated the same or if it refers specifically to the seemingly more popular VRUAMDK version. I couldn’t help but notice that mine says “OY” instead of “VR” (maybe it’s a dev. edition thing).

[ANSWERED] 1. Is this something I need to be concerned about? That is, is it okay to follow threads/guides for “MDK” just the same as if I have VRUAMDK? When people say MDK does it encompass all firmware that ends in MDK?
    "The DevS4 came originally with I545OYUAMDK. The retail S4 came with I545VRUAMDK. The only difference is that the DevS4 has a different ABOOT partition which allows for the unlocking." "The DevS4's are now sold with I545OYUEMJ7"
    - So apparently the OY means that the bootloaders are unlockable (Dev. edition). This will be irreversibly be changed with firmware update (can no longer be unlocked).

2. Should I also be wary of the first part of the Build number/firmware? JDQ39. ? Is it safe to follow directions with different numbers (first part)? While I’m at it, how about the Android Version is that important when it comes to do’s and don’t’s and not bricking my phone?

[answered] 3. Is there a way to turn off over-the-air (OTA) updates? I felt like this question was relevant to this thread as it can change firmware versions which has implications for what’s possible and what is not.
    - "If you get a file explorer like Root Explorer, you can rename the sdm.apk to sdm.apk.bak and it should stop it."

4. I haven’t activated my phone yet. Does it matter if I unlock/root my phone before or after activating service?

I just want some confirmation/verification on these things so I don’t brick my phone. Also, I’m more familiar with using custom recovery/TWRP from my other android device whereas I’ve never heard of SS. The OP is pretty clear that firmware updates are irreversible. As such, it would be nice to know how to retain my ghetto, less up-to-date firmware.

I would much appreciate it if the more knowledgeable folks on this forum would chime in. In the meantime I’ll do more searching and sifting through threads. I’ll post/update if and when I find answers. Hopefully, it would be of use to others out there with dev. edition.

eternally grateful,
    ns
    many guides and threads that everyone needs to read to understand the process of what they are getting into before they brick their phone and it costs themselves some money.

The Bieeeeb has been getting into a lot of trouble lately, not easy I'm sure to keep up on this android stuff while racing Lambos high and drunk.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app