Whatsapp crash on loading with multiuser (not owner)

Search This thread

atomico001

Jun 4, 2012
Hi all, i have a nexus 7 2013 with 4.4.2 Android stock

I tried to install whatsapp on the tabled following many many guides on internet. At end of my experiments i understand that whatsapp crash if i install it on an user that it is not owner.

Someone else have a second user on the tablet and have a whatsapp working there?

vijay6788

Sep 16, 2012
I have installed whatsapp on my nexus 7 second gen. It works fine for mr.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

mephisto20

Jun 3, 2007
you have it on the second account? (not the owner). if yes what procedure you follow? can you link pls

i have the same problem on my galaxy s4 i9505 running stock rom android 4.4.2
i had whatsapp installe on my device
then i enabled multi user support using xposed mod multi users ... which works fine.
when i switch to the second profile i can install whatsapp from playstore ( whcih installs very quick ... i don not think it is downdloading).
i can start whatsapp but after I enter the verification codefor my second number in whats App it just crashes ....

Anybody has a clue ? Would be great to see this working ...

atomico001

Jun 4, 2012
hi mephisto.. i try for day and day to find a solution but seem that on internet noone user multi-user and whatsapp on android...

camolin3

Jul 10, 2014
i just wrote that i haven't a solution.. :)

I was trying to achieve the same for my tablet and I've found a solution. I've posted an article on my fresh new blog
camolin3.tumblr.com/post/91306835140/make-whatsapp-to-run-in-a-second-user-of-an-android

Basically you have to grant read, write and exec permission to all the users of the /data/data/com.whatsapp directory.

I hope it helps you.

Last edited:
Reactions: etienne.vdlinde

atomico001

Jun 4, 2012
I was trying to achieve the same for my tablet and I've found a solution. I've posted an article on my fresh new blog
camolin3.tumblr.com/post/91306835140/make-whatapp-to-run-in-a-second-user-of-an-android

Basically you have to grant read, write and exec permission to all the users of the /data/data/com.whatsapp directory.

I hope it helps you.
unlucky it is not rooted :) but ty for news

camolin3

Jul 10, 2014
unlucky it is not rooted :) but ty for news

atomico001, have you tried towelroot? It is very easy to use: download an app, press a button, and after a restart you got rooted.
That's the way I rooted my nexus, and since we have the same tablet I guess it should work for you as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=P80NMQss2B0

atomico001

Jun 4, 2012
atomico001, have you tried towelroot? It is very easy to use: download an app, press a button, and after a restart you got rooted.
That's the way I rooted my nexus, and since we have the same tablet I guess it should work for you as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=P80NMQss2B0

no wipe needed? i know that from 4.3 and more it is not more possible

smwln

Dec 18, 2011
Any update on this issue? I am trying to install it on a Second account, which is not the owner and it just crashes after verifying the code.

etienne.vdlinde

Sep 15, 2014
It works!

camolin3.tumblr.com/post/91306835140/make-whatapp-to-run-in-a-second-user-of-an-android

I hope it helps you.

Thank you camolin! This fixed it for me! Note that the permission change needs to be recursive (for all subfolders as well)

Reactions: camolin3

etienne.vdlinde

Sep 15, 2014
Update

Thank you camolin! This fixed it for me! Note that the permission change needs to be recursive (for all subfolders as well)

Here's an update - seems like the location /data/data/com.whatsapp will be shared amongst all users - causing your whatsapp db to corrupt each time you fire up another user's whatsapp. I found a way around this (probably not the cleanest) by keeping the contents of the com.whatsapp folder in a space where android can manage seperate user access (e.g. /sdcard/temp) and inserted a static link to it at the original place where whatsapp expects it. That is:
  • backup you whatsapp messages in app
  • exit and uninstall all instances of whatsapp
  • create a folder /sdcard/temp/com.whatsapp
  • copy the contents of /data/data/com.whatsapp to /sdcard/temp/com.whatsapp
  • remove /data/data/com.whatsapp
  • create a static link at /data/data to /sdcard/temp/com.whatsapp (requires terminal access):
    ln -s /sdcard/temp/com.whatsapp /data/data/com.whatsapp
  • verify linked access to folder /data/data/com.whatsapp from all user accounts
  • reinstall whatsapp (might need to recover backed up messages)

I am now able to run a seperate whatsapp under each user account without affecting the other (thus far)

Update - this setup does not survive a restart (which then requires unlinking and reinstalling whatsapp)

Last edited:
Reactions: camolin3

wallaceff

Aug 10, 2006
Any update on this? Ive done the above. When i go to the second user, and use a file explorer to view the contents of /data/com.whatsapp .... It is the same data as the first user? I was hoping that changing to to the second user would leave this empty? Ie. It seems that the sdcard on the second user doesnt get used at all. Any ideas? (in Not using a nexus)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i just wrote that i haven't a solution.. :)

camolin3.tumblr.com/post/91306835140/make-whatsapp-to-run-in-a-second-user-of-an-android

I hope it helps you.
    It works!

I hope it helps you.

Update

Here's an update - seems like the location /data/data/com.whatsapp will be shared amongst all users - causing your whatsapp db to corrupt each time you fire up another user's whatsapp. I found a way around this (probably not the cleanest) by keeping the contents of the com.whatsapp folder in a space where android can manage seperate user access (e.g. /sdcard/temp) and inserted a static link to it at the original place where whatsapp expects it. That is:
    • backup you whatsapp messages in app
    • exit and uninstall all instances of whatsapp
    • create a folder /sdcard/temp/com.whatsapp
    • copy the contents of /data/data/com.whatsapp to /sdcard/temp/com.whatsapp
    • remove /data/data/com.whatsapp
    • create a static link at /data/data to /sdcard/temp/com.whatsapp (requires terminal access):
      ln -s /sdcard/temp/com.whatsapp /data/data/com.whatsapp
    • verify linked access to folder /data/data/com.whatsapp from all user accounts
    • reinstall whatsapp (might need to recover backed up messages)

I am now able to run a seperate whatsapp under each user account without affecting the other (thus far)

Update - this setup does not survive a restart (which then requires unlinking and reinstalling whatsapp)