[Q] LG LS980 big problem - bricked? D801 firmware

Search This thread

boxorandyos

Apr 26, 2013
southbridge, ma
www.boxorandyos.com
During a reboot,I put the settings app on my first Jellybean screen (while rebooting, it was easier to get to). Then, go activate Developer mode, then put on USB debugging, and plug phone in... Mine was a little jinky, so I had to take USB out a few times, try to enable... what you are looking for is a prompt that says Allow this computer (type of thing).

I can't get adb no matter what I try :'(
I have tried every connection mode and every USB port and windows and Linux developer mode on and off but other than charging nothing happens...

one second while I wipe my tears.

-boxorandyos
<sent from my nexus4>

kuttor

Nov 15, 2012
San Diego
I have tried every connection mode and every USB port and windows and Linux developer mode on and off but other than charging nothing happens...

-boxorandyos
<sent from my nexus4>

You can do it!!! Did you switch from Charging mode to Picture or MTP mode? (try that, and switch back) are you able to toggle USB Debugging?

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

-boxorandyos
<sent from my nexus4>

Oh yeah, make sure the device is not on the lockscreen, and while in settings toggle stay awake.... I found that if the device slept, then it would just turn off, reboot, or sleep deep.

Reactions: Stunningkun

patriky

Sep 29, 2010
Snina
Ok here is my little avice for everybody who has LS980 and showing another firmware for example D801 ?. If U are available start the phone with D801 firmware just try to root your device with IOroot program and after install TWRP using recovery flasher by OptimusRS. Remember you have to choose the TWRP by your firmwer not by your device. After that put the LS firmware on your card and flash the rom. Doesn't matter if will work after flash couse u'll be available use LG flash tool and flash Rom with tot file. Hope I'll help somebody.:fingers-crossed:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2strokenut

kuttor

Nov 15, 2012
San Diego
Ok here is my little avice for everybody who has LS980 and showing another firmware for example D801 ��. If U are available start the phone with D801 firmware just try to root your device with IOroot program and after install TWRP using recovery flasher by OptimusRS. Remember you have to choose the TWRP by your firmwer not by your device. After that put the LS firmware on your card and flash the rom. Doesn't matter if will work after flash couse u'll be available use LG flash tool and flash Rom with tot file. Hope I'll help somebody.:fingers-crossed:

Ah, that might work... however, when I tried flashing the ROM (via recovery) I received many errors... wouldn't work, which is why I had to change the build.prop to the ls980 -- then, I could do the lsflashtools to reflash TOT file.

I am just glad we all are getting this fixed, or on the rightpath... mine is working flawless now. :victory:

boxorandyos

Apr 26, 2013
southbridge, ma
www.boxorandyos.com
You can do it!!! Did you switch from Charging mode to Picture or MTP mode? (try that, and switch back) are you able to toggle USB Debugging?

I don't have any trouble toggling USB debugging however it does act a little weird whenever I try switching between charging and other modes. it does always eventually say that it switches sometimes after a reboot but I am wondering if that has something to do with my issue.

my goal has been to edit the build.prop but I need either root or adb access to do that.
I would use any method that would work to fix the issue but all of them require root access in some way or another.

is there some way to get root in the 30 seconds to 2 minutes that I have without adb?

-boxorandyos
<sent from my nexus4>

kuttor

Nov 15, 2012
San Diego
I don't have any trouble toggling USB debugging however it does act a little weird whenever I try switching between charging and other modes. it does always eventually say that it switches sometimes after a reboot but I am wondering if that has something to do with my issue.

my goal has been to edit the build.prop but I need either root or adb access to do that.
I would use any method that would work to fix the issue but all of them require root access in some way or another.

is there some way to get root in the 30 seconds to 2 minutes that I have without adb?

-boxorandyos
<sent from my nexus4>

Alright, anyone on here have any suggestions? You said you were using Windows.... (maybe an updated version of USB). When you switch to debugging, and unplug the USB, then plug it back in, do you get the RSA allow connection from computer?

knight master

May 30, 2013
I was having the same problem here is how I did it boot into twrp wipe everything power off go to download mode and flash the sprint tot file

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using xda app-developers app

kuttor

Nov 15, 2012
San Diego
I was having the same problem here is how I did it boot into twrp wipe everything power off go to download mode and flash the sprint tot file

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using xda app-developers app

Yeah, I tried the wipe of everything, even /system -- and that didn't work (I would think wiping /system would remove the build.prop)... which, I had to reinstall d801, then replace build.prop, and re-flash TOT.

More importantly, lets get the guy above this post fixed! His ADB is saying "offline."

boxorandyos

Apr 26, 2013
southbridge, ma
www.boxorandyos.com
Sorry my phone died :(

i am primarily using windows vista and also windows 8 and ubuntu.

i have not got the rsa allow connection message or any type of connection to the computer, root access, or recovery mode ever since i first had this issue.

i would try either method of wiping everything hoping that would clear that by deleting the build.prop or editing it but i cannot find a way to do that somehow.

so yea pretty much i just need adb... oh adb how i miss you. what did i ever do to you? please come back!

boxorandyos

Apr 26, 2013
southbridge, ma
www.boxorandyos.com
got it!

guess what i got it!

what i did was simply try exactly what i already was. charge mode - mtp mode. developer mode on and off. flashing different versions of the d800 with the lg flash tool. rebooting. switching computers. everything.
suddenly my custom script kicked in. i was on windows vista and i had just uninstalled and reinstalled drivers for the hundredth time. i had flashed the oldest version of the d800 system. i dont think i did anything special.

i still had trouble as i was only getting adb for a few seconds at a time but i had my script try until it got root and installed a custom recovery.
from my custom recovery i first tried editing my build.prop but got a cool idea. i wiped everything and then used adb sideload in the recovery to install cyanogenmod for the ls980. it wouldnt boot but i found i was then able to flash the factory system for the ls980.

now its time to root this thing!

Reactions: knight master

Arod116

Apr 15, 2009
im having the same problem :( The only tot file i can load is the d801 version. I got the phone to root but the only version of twrp i can get to work is for the d801 so when i try to sideload it gives me an error in twrp that the file isnt for the d801

Arod116

Apr 15, 2009
it boots in to android but it wont install any apk and i cant find the file to pull it with adb

Arod116

Apr 15, 2009
i was able to install the apk with adb by putting the file in /system/app. It installed when i booted the phone in android but the d801 firmware isnt stable. the phone reset when i was saving the build.prop and now it wont go past the lg logo and download mode doesnt work. i can only get twrp up

Stunningkun

Mar 22, 2012
This thread has been life saver/hope giver for me. I followed what you guys did. I had d802 build.prop on my phone while bricked. I installed d802 tot, then root it, then pushed ls980 build.prop. I then tried to flash ls980 tot. flsh tool is accepting my phone as ls980 but giving me error that LAF partition changed and failing it. The phone now goes directly into download mode.It appears d802 tot was 16gb one :'( its been 48 hours now. Help needed :(

boxorandyos

Apr 26, 2013
southbridge, ma
www.boxorandyos.com
This thread has been life saver/hope giver for me. I followed what you guys did. I had d802 build.prop on my phone while bricked. I installed d802 tot, then root it, then pushed ls980 build.prop. I then tried to flash ls980 tot. flsh tool is accepting my phone as ls980 but giving me error that LAF partition changed and failing it. The phone now goes directly into download mode.It appears d802 tot was 16gb one :'( its been 48 hours now. Help needed :(

are you able to flash any version tot file in download mode?

-boxorandyos
<sent from my nexus4>

Stunningkun

Mar 22, 2012
didn't try but I dont think it would other than ls980. Is there a ls980 16GB tot? its not even a week since i bought it ... sigh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I accidentally crossflashed a LS980(Sprint) with D801 (T-Mo) firmware. It booted, BUT it also rebooted every 30 secs to couple mins max.

Of course LG Flash Tool gave me the error "CrossDL [D801] to [LS980]". I tried using the ignore CRC check modified .dll (LGUP_8974.dll) and it still gave me the error.

The Solution:
    You must use a Hex editor and edit the line that says the model number in the .tot you are trying to flash.
    What I did was open the D801 tot and the LS980 tot side by side.
    I then did CTRL+F to find the D801 line. I copied this whole complete line. I then went over to the LS980 tot and found the line that said LS980 and completely replaced it (paste insert) with the D801 line I copied from the D801 tot.
    I then saved the changes and closed the Hex editor.

Now you are ready to flash.
    But first make sure to download the modified dll: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cg2rrbruu03hr2d/LGUP_8974.dll
    In LG Flash Tools manual mode, select this .DLL so it will pass the phone model check and use the .tot you modified.

2nd Possible Solution
    YOU NEED ROOT (use the io root method)
    If you still can boot and do things, adb push/transfer a stock Build.Prop to change the model number to the f/w you are trying to flash
    or
    edit your build.prop with Rom Toolbox Pro or another build prop editor, to change the model number

No, mine doesn't boot so im going to do the Hex Edit method and im trying to figure out exactly which line to edit
    thanks

Note: You need both .tot files (the stock firmware you want to flash back to and the firmware .tot file of what is cross flashed onto the phone now)

As I said..Just use the find/search function in whatever hex editor you use (I used free HxD) and search for the crossflashed rom model number.....This will be the line to copy.
    But I think its offset 00006010
    I accidentally crossflashed a LS980(Sprint) with D801 (T-Mo) firmware. It booted, BUT it also rebooted every 30 secs to couple mins max.

Of course LG Flash Tool gave me the error "CrossDL [D801] to [LS980]". I tried using the ignore CRC check modified .dll (LGUP_8974.dll) and it still gave me the error.

The Solution:
    You must use a Hex editor and edit the line that says the model number in the .tot you are trying to flash.
    What I did was open the D801 tot and the LS980 tot side by side.
    I then did CTRL+F to find the D801 line. I copied this whole complete line. I then went over to the LS980 tot and found the line that said LS980 and completely replaced it (paste insert) with the D801 line I copied from the D801 tot.
    I then saved the changes and closed the Hex editor.

Now you are ready to flash.
    But first make sure to download the modified dll: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cg2rrbruu03hr2d/LGUP_8974.dll
    In LG Flash Tools manual mode, select this .DLL so it will pass the phone model check and use the .tot you modified.

2nd Possible Solution
    YOU NEED ROOT (use the io root method)
    If you still can boot and do things, adb push/transfer a stock Build.Prop to change the model number to the f/w you are trying to flash
    or
    edit your build.prop with Rom Toolbox Pro or another build prop editor, to change the model number

first you will need the fastboot files. I use "Minimal ADB and Fastboot"

then you have to go here: http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/LG_G2/LS980/Stock_Firmware
    and download the .img files for your phone. place them in a folder named "partitions" in the directory of your fastboot.

create a .bat file using the contents of the attached .txt file. IMPORTANT remove all the lines for which you do not have an associated file from the step above. place your script in the directory of your fastboot and run the script.

put your phone in fastboot mode and connect it to your compter.

It may or may not work correctly but you should at least be able to get into download mode again.
    good luck!
    Fixed it

Check this out.

I decided to reinstall the only firmware I could... this caused random reboots, sometimes 30seconds... sometimes a few minutes.

During a reboot,I put the settings app on my first Jellybean screen (while rebooting, it was easier to get to). Then, go activate Developer mode, then put on USB debugging, and plug phone in... Mine was a little jinky, so I had to take USB out a few times, try to enable... what you are looking for is a prompt that says Allow this computer (type of thing).

Mine had a checkmark box, which said ALWAYS allow. So, that's what i did, and hit ok. After than you should be able to get into recovery.

This is the file I used:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2545456

and mounted SYSTEM.... now, to install recovery, was a little problematic. I used this one:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2545456

And, all the recoveries failed, (they have 4 options). Tried all of them, finally phone rebooted into PHILZ.

adb reboot recovery (I used this command, since I thought it was catch recovery better)

In Philz, I had ADB Access, so I just left it there (besides phone doesn't reboot).

in commandline (I am a linux user), I typed:

adb shell
    cat /system/build.prop

Which allowed me to see the file

Then, in another commandline window, I typed:

adb push /build.prop /system

Now, your /build,prop might be in a different location, so don't use mine exactly.

;) :cowboy::D:crying::eek::cool::eek::)

Hope that helps!!! When you are done, make sure you tell recovery to boot you into download mode -- this isn't required, but for me it was easier.

There, you should see the LG G2 build type, when you plug in the phone and start LGFLASHT (tOOLS.

Remember, I used the LGUP_8XXX.dll (the one for trouble)

and, the NEWER TOT, not the one in the package (it's above the package one).
    Are u using dll from kdz file ?

Sent from my LG-D821 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

dll from kdz should name as LgUp_XXXX

IN you error cross dl d801 to ls 980 just like me when i have try flash d820 tot to my d802
    it show me cross dl d802 to d820
    but i have change my model namber in build prop to d820 and it flash ok
    let try d801 kdz dll and d801 tot
    It will replase all partion on your phone and your phone will stuck on fastboot mode and yout download mode will gone
    After
    let erase your laf.img and reflash your own laf.img to get your download mode back
    after you re get your download mode
    just flash your phone with your ls980 tot and dll given with your tot file
    It will be ok

I am not a rich man but i never afraid my phone will 1000% brick and will lose it
    You too do not afraid
    You can try any Of your idea
    if you are not hid your phone with hummer
    Your phone will never brick

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

First let shearch your laf.img first
    Make sure your model ls980 have laf.img backuped

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

If i have time i will flash d820 tot to my d802 again
    Will make video and you can see what happen;)