VZW Motomaker locked 4.4.2 root yet??

Search This thread

chris420o

Jul 15, 2013
I have a motomaker moto x on vzw which is obviously locked...im rooted on 4.4 because i need gravity box at least since i cant get custom roms(ugh) so i havent upgraded to 4.4.2 yet because it hasnt been rooted...my question was has it been rooted because i cant find anything about it anywhere...and if not is anyone working on it? as much as i love this phone i really miss unlocking and rooting

Apr 18, 2008
I have a motomaker moto x on vzw which is obviously locked...im rooted on 4.4 because i need gravity box at least since i cant get custom roms(ugh) so i havent upgraded to 4.4.2 yet because it hasnt been rooted...my question was has it been rooted because i cant find anything about it anywhere...and if not is anyone working on it? as much as i love this phone i really miss unlocking and rooting
there is no root method for 4.4.2 (covered extensively). your only option (for now) is to sit on your current version or apply a ROM that gives you 4.4.2 functionality (but you're still on 4.4 kernel).

IEcansuckit

Mar 10, 2014
Earth
I feel ya man. I'm also sitting on rooted 4.4 wishing I could update to 4.4.2. I like the stock OS on this phone so I don't feel the need to have an unlocked bootloader, but I would love to be able to have the latest OS version. Although I don't think it's a huge update anyways. I've seriously thought about going back to stock and updating to 4.4.2, but I would miss root WAY too much. I love being able to tether without asking for Verizon's permission.

doitinthedirt

Mar 31, 2014
When did you order it? I placed an order two days ago for a design your own.. a guy here posted he got his two days ago and it had 4.4 on it so thought mine might come with 4.4

D

Darth

If you realllllly want root....i'd return the phone and get a dev edition. Otherwise you may be stuck on 4.4.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Or sell it and add some cash for the dev edition if you can't return it. ?

doitinthedirt

Mar 31, 2014
If you realllllly want root....i'd return the phone and get a dev edition. Otherwise you may be stuck on 4.4.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Or sell it and add some cash for the dev edition if you can't return it. ?

Well 4.4 would be fine, Im stuck on 4.1.2 as of now on my razrM since they quit updating than.

The first fone i rooted was the razrM and i changed the entitlementcheck to get tethering for my unlimited data.. since than ive accepted two OTA and lost root but the change i made to entitlement check when i had root and write protection disabled still stayed after root was wiped by the OTA. This is puzzling i dont see why guys are loosing entitlement check after losing root with 4.4.2 on moto x

Last edited:
D

Darth

Well 4.4 would be fine, Im stuck on 4.1.2 as of now on my razrM since they quit updating than.

The first fone i rooted was the razrM and i changed the entitlementcheck to get tethering for my unlimited data.. since than ive accepted two OTA and lost root but the change i made to entitlement check when i had root and write protection disabled still stayed afyer root was wiped by the OTA. This is puzzling i dont see why guys are loosing entitlement check after losing root with 4.4.2 on moto x

Basically I think moto saw the exploit and simply closed the door on it. ?

KilerG

Oct 7, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
Yeah I'm dying hoping someone will swoop in and help us get a root exploit going. I'm not quite sure why no one has done it...maybe we need to make a thread like the bootloader unlock one where the dev would make some money if they got root going.

D

Darth

Unlocking the bootloader does solve all this. And the bounty is huge.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
You are asking about root, but if you want usable root on the X you need two parts 1. Root Exploit, and 2. An Exploit that allows for disabling Write Protection.

When Write Protection is enabled (the phone's default state with locked bootloader, or the state you are in after you take the 4.4.2 OTA), any changes made to /system, or the like, (including, but not limited to, App installs, file modifications, deletions, renames, etc) are not permanent and are lost at power off/on.

Even if you have root, but lost Write Protection, any apps you've installed that need to write to system can't permanently save their changes (you have to re-do every time your phone powers off/on), and any Root type app, or app that gets installed to /system after WP is enabled will be lost at power off/on.

MotoWpNoMo was used on 4.4. and below to Disable Write Protection. Part of the 4.4.2 update patches the exploit that MotoWpNoMo used, so it wont work on 4.4.2.

SlapMyMoto/RockMyMoto/etc, used on 4.4 and lower, involved downgrading the rom to use an exploit in 4.2.2 to gain root. But with 4.4.2 you can't downgrade the rom safely, without risk of bricking your phone, anymore.

JCASE has already posted he has an exploit to use to gain root on 4.4.2, but due to job and family, wont release it until the fall. Who knows what ROM Moto will push out by then, and if they will have patched the exploit already. BUT before you get made at JCASE for waiting so long, that doesn't address a Write Protection dis-abler. I've not seen any talk about work on that for locked bootloaders (when you unlock the bootloader, like on Dev Editions, the write protection is disabled). So JCASE could release his Root exploit, he or someone could develop that process, but it would be kind of useless without the ability to disable write protection.

Trust me, *IF* or when a Root and Write Protection bypass is out, you will see threads on it. Until then, you have to sit tight.

If you are rooted with write protection disabled, you might want to check out the SafeStrap discussions over at Rootzwiki.com. That might at least afford you a way to run 4.4.2

And of course @kj2112 suggestion of getting a Develpper Edition so you can unlock the bootloader and root no matter what rom version, is the best advice. Yes, its more expensive than a subsidized X, signing a contract, but its worth it if you *NEED* or *WANT* root & write protection disabled. (and selling your current X is an option to get cash towards the Dev Edition)

Last edited: