[Q] Hp Touchpad running Windows 8?

Search This thread

miqueas6

Jun 23, 2010
I recently got my hands on Hp Touchpad 32gb. And I have been running windows 8 preview on another pc. I know that the windows 8 Market will be here in a couple months. And since I would love to use my touchpad at work to edit my office files kind of like what im able to do on my Windows Phone. I guess my question is am I alone in wanting to port Windows 8 to the Touchpad? Im not sold on the adroid port.

Last edited:

ShoNuff2025

Nov 20, 2010
Windows 8 for HP Touchpad

No you are not alone. I would love to have Windows 8 on my HP Touch pad.

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
I would love to see it, but it may be very hard to port with it only being sold on shipped devices. Realize that what desktops run and what is sold on discs is either a 32 bit or 64 bit Intel x86/64 based version. What the Touchpad needs is the ARM version.

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
I would love to see it, but it may be very hard to port with it only being sold on shipped devices. Realize that what desktops run and what is sold on discs is either a 32 bit or 64 bit Intel x86/64 based version. What the Touchpad needs is the ARM version.
Why anyone would want a resource hog like Windows on a tablet of any kind is beyond me. But it isn't going to happen anyway. MS has made it quite clear that the ARM version of Win8 will be strictly limited to devices that are manufactured to run ONLY Win8. Any port to devices like the Touchpad would be illegal and wouldn't pass activation.

BTW, this has been dicussed and debunked time and time again. If you had done a simple search of "Windows 8", you would know this.

Tilde88

Nov 5, 2008
Why anyone would want a resource hog like Windows on a tablet of any kind is beyond me. But it isn't going to happen anyway. MS has made it quite clear that the ARM version of Win8 will be strictly limited to devices that are manufactured to run ONLY Win8. Any port to devices like the Touchpad would be illegal and wouldn't pass activation.

BTW, this has been dicussed and debunked time and time again. If you had done a simple search of "Windows 8", you would know this.

legal... lol. hackers unite!

Reactions: diamantericos

itsmebryan

May 6, 2006
Carson,CA
This would be great. After using Win8 preview I thought it would be great on a touch screen. I liked it so much I ordered a WP7.5. BTW just but any software can be cracked.;)

hyperfire21

Dec 20, 2008
It has a much better multitasking system than android. Of course i'm talking about the mobile OS version of Windows 8 and not the x86,x64 versions. Why dont u go to the microsoft store and pick up a free windows phone 7 device and try it out for yourselves.

nunjabusiness

Jan 20, 2011
Oh, really? Why do you think that?

I can tell you I have been running Windows 8 both desktop and server versions since early closed beta and it is easily the leanest and most resource-efficient Windows yet. With only 1GB of RAM it flies and the server runs very well with 2GB.

Availability of ARM version will be strictly controlled though (as was already said) and activation will be pretty much unbreakable.

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
I would gladly pay for a utility that will format my TouchPad and install Windows 8 on ARM. Even if that means losing ICS and webOS. I think Microsoft has an audience here of TP users that could be doing their RC testing for ARM. If they provided an easy legal way, even at a cost (provided it was for a real license, not a RC that expires), I think a lot of Tablet users would switch to W8. And the TP must be the biggest community of powerful enough hardware, with users willing to experiment on their device.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777)

MrPuddington

Jan 11, 2011
I think Microsoft has an audience here of TP users that could be doing their RC testing for ARM.
It is an interesting idea. I think the TP is powerful enough, it is open, and it ticks the minimum requirements, although I am not sure whether it has the right CPU, graphics and hardware components. The display is a bit on the odd side (4:3 is rare, and 1024x768 especially so), and I would be surprised if Microsoft actually does anything like this.

But I would be happy to give it a try. On the desktop I can't find a reason to go with Windows 8, but on a mobile device it would look quite good.

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
I doubt MS would do this, we'd need a port from one of the WP8 tabs coming out this summer.

orangekid

Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
I'm sure if MS came out and said, pay a small fee and we'll license you an ARM version of Windows 8 for the Touchpad, people would jump.

They just would never do that. They only license it to actual manufacturers, the same idea went around with the WP7 for HD2 ports, but they'd never license it to individuals, we'll just have to port it.

reverendkjr

Nov 7, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
www.youtube.com
I'm not sure if I understand why everyone thinks it will be a good idea to put Windows 8 on the Touchpad. Here are my thoughts:

1. Drivers will drive us crazy. There will have to be new drivers created for video, audio, bluetooth, etc. None of these exist currently, so it will basically be like starting all over again. Remember how long it took to get the Android drivers running? Some of them STILL aren't perfect.

2. Since the device is using an ARM chip, only ARM compiled apps will work. It's not like you are going to be able to load your standard x86 Windows apps on the Touchpad if Windows 8 is on it. The amount of ARM apps for Windows 8 is less than what the Blackberry Market has. (which isn't much. )

3. Chances are, we are going to have to completely format the Touchpad if we want to put Windows 8 on it. This removes any possible way of going back to webOS or Android if we want. I, for one, would not like that at all. As far as co-existing... I doubt that would work due to the nature of the file system as it is now.

It's fun to think that this will happen someday, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: ssuds

orangekid

Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
I'm not sure if I understand why everyone thinks it will be a good idea to put Windows 8 on the Touchpad. Here are my thoughts:

1. Drivers will drive us crazy. There will have to be new drivers created for video, audio, bluetooth, etc. None of these exist currently, so it will basically be like starting all over again. Remember how long it took to get the Android drivers running? Some of them STILL aren't perfect.

2. Since the device is using an ARM chip, only ARM compiled apps will work. It's not like you are going to be able to load your standard x86 Windows apps on the Touchpad if Windows 8 is on it. The amount of ARM apps for Windows 8 is less than what the Blackberry Market has. (which isn't much. )

3. Chances are, we are going to have to completely format the Touchpad if we want to put Windows 8 on it. This removes any possible way of going back to webOS or Android if we want. I, for one, would not like that at all. As far as co-existing... I doubt that would work due to the nature of the file system as it is now.

1) hopefully most drivers will work out of the box, since you know they are going to make Win8 arm for a snapdragon SoC, maybe not this exact chip, but a dual-core snapdragon probably, they were also using TouchPads to pilot win8 arm, so if we can get a leaked build we'll be ok. If the drivers don't work and it's too much of a hassle then that's just how it is. We've still got ICS and JellyBean

2) that's fine, but there are going to be so many awesome win8 arm apps, just think of all the WP7 apps plus a lot more, it will be really awesome.

3) Not necessarily. Remember the same thing was thought of on WP7 on the HD2, but what the DFT team did was create a totally separate yaffs2 partition and write Android NAND and WP7 to that, so you could still operate the bootloader to load another OS from the sd card and dual-boot that way. Since this thing rocks 16gb nand, I don't see why some whiz dev couldn't just repartition and format a specific partition for win8 then the bootloader decides where to boot, hence 8 gigs for Win8, 8 gigs for Android, etc... or something of the sort. I think it's possible.

Like you, I'm not holding my breath, but I actually love how well CM9 currently runs on this tablet to keep it only for that, Win8 for arm port would just be a really amazing treat on top if it ever happens.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh, really? Why do you think that?

Potentially he may be correct. Windows 8 as far as I know runs ARM binaries rather than a virtual machine like Dalvek. Actually,I suspect that Microsoft might have done well to try to move windows programs onto some sort of virtual machine. Like android,some programs would still use the bare metal,while most would use the virtual machine. Most programs people run would be fine on a virtual machine. That MIGHT have had a chance of staving off the train wreck thats coming for Microsoft. Really,I dont think it would,but they had only a few real options.

One,allow windows on tablets ONLY to be ARM,that way,all tablets run the same software,but not the desktop software.

Option 2,make all windows tablets Intel. Then all windows tablets run the same software and ALSO run the same software we can run on our PCs. Some programs will be clunky with the tablet interface and really require a external keyboard,but they will run with an onscreen keyboard if you really want to do it that way. Option one or two eliminates confusion and the resulting anger from Microsofts customers. Option 2 is best. Stick with intel,make intel tablets. Sell them for 600 dollars. Watch all the WIndows 8 tablet fans talking about how their tablets are so much better than I-Pads becuase they run real programs and are not expensive toys like the android and ipad tablets are. Watch Apples sales plummet.

Option 3,make both,confuse your customers. They will see their freind with a shiney new Windows tablet that can run the same software their desktops do,then go out and buy one. Of course,they are going to see two kinds of them,the RT ARM tablets and the Pro Intel tablets (presumably an Atom chip). They will see the price difference is about 500 dollars. They will think "Im not using it for buisiness,just some web browsing and Id like to run Word on it and maybe a few of my favorite games" They will buy the cheap one,get it home and find out that it wont run their favorite programs. They will be confused. They SAW their freind do it. They will think they just dont know how to get it to work and there is some trick. They will waste a day or two trying before looking for help. Finally,either from their freinds who understand computers and tablets,or from MS tech support,they will figure out that there are two kinds of tablets. The cool ones that can do all that neat stuff,but cost 1000 dollars,and the "lame" ones that use some sort of "off brand" ARM chip,whatever that is,and cant. They will be even more confused becuase they allways understood that those other brand chips those AMD things or ARM things ("arn't they the same thing?!?" they will ask.) ran all the same programs as the intel ones. They will be very angry and will probably return the ARM tablets.
    They may even put off Windows 8 altogether on their home PCs and even put off upgrading to a new PC.
    Microsoft is going to just "love" this reason for people not upgrading their PCs or operating systems.
    "I dont want one of those new PCs,becuase I have to get thousands of dollars of new software becuase it wont run any old stuff,so Im just going to stick with my old PC"
    They will be told by some people,or even the MS commericals that it will. They will simply be confused,chalk it up to people "Not understanding" or to Microsofts marketing hype. They KNOW it wont run any of their software,becuase they bought that tablet (or their brother or freind or coworker bought one) and tried to run the old software on it and it would not work. Go ahead and try to explain how there are different kinds of Windows 8.
    Think about it,how many people HERE ask if you can run Windows 7 on a touchpad. How many people HERE cant get the difference between an ARM tablet running webOS,running android,running windows 8,and an intel tablet running windows and a desktop PC strait. Try explaining compatibility to your grandmother who said,"It said it was out of hard disk space,but it shouldnt be because you just put in 8GB for me last month. I went and bought more memory anyway,can you help me install it" and then she hands you the 4gb flash drive she bought. :eek: Try explaining to her the difference between ARM and intel. "Didnt the last computer you buy me have one of those ARM chips in it?" "No grandma,that was AMD,ARM chips are like the ones in your phone." "So can i make calls on it?"

Like I said,train wreck in the making. I do wonder if Windows RT 8 tablets will be sold at fire sale prices next year.

legal... lol. hackers unite!