3.2 XOOM or the Asus Transformer?

Search This thread

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Since you clearly ARE in denial:

Go to: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/testsoftware/ghosting.html on your almighty Xoom, then set it next to a Transformer and/or Iconia or for even more evident results, a GT10... and count the squares you see after all movement on each screen. Heck if you have even a half decent modern LCD screen on your modern computer, just compare between the xoom and the lcd.

enjoy the LOLS...

You sir, are the tool.

And if you still don't see it, stop being an idiot and get over your ego. The xoom has ghosting period. And even if you don't choose to see it, it has ghosting in comparison to the TF, Iconia and GT10, hell even the LG pad

PS: In case you don't know what to look for, when you have a good display, you can't see a trail of squares after the moving square. The larger the trail, the lower the quality in the display.

The truth of the matter is, Motorola decided to be cheap on the panels, so what who cares? I still love my Xoom.

I'm able to love it and be objective regarding its drawbacks.
Interesting, but as you said, who cares? Except for the test, I never have seen these ghosts. I have watched plenty of videos and have never seen any weird visual artifacts, certainly nothing to affect my viewing pleasure. But thanks for the information.

wrongfeifong

May 10, 2010
I just came back from a A500 iconia. It isn't the transformer, but out of 3 screen i love a500 the most.

But the weight is unbarable, the XOOM is pretty light Not to mention a bit thinner then A500 iconia.

However, the sound quality was not too great on comparasion. But the a500 giving me "lock up" with no touch responses time from time and invalid updates that require a factory reset. I just went for the XOOM.

XOOM is the only tablet out of all that can watch H263/4 properly, if you are looking to watch anime, XOOM is clearly the winner.

also less junks app.

hilfiger2k

Dec 21, 2010
I've had my Xoom for about a month now. It was a UK Xoom and using a guide on here I installed the us stock rom. Anyway now I'm on 3.2.
All I can say about the Xoom is that although it is a great tablet I feel it's got more and more laggy as time goes on.
I've decided to sell it and get a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 as it seems that's the best one at the moment. It's being delivered tomorrow hopefully.
Anyone else feel the Xoom is very laggy. Sometimes it's OK but it started to really annoying me so I decided to sell while I can still get a decent price for it.
So I don't recommend anyone getting a Xoom. The Samsung 10.1 and Transformer are the best tablets at the moment.

Kippui

Jan 1, 2011
I've had my Xoom for about a month now. It was a UK Xoom and using a guide on here I installed the us stock rom. Anyway now I'm on 3.2.
All I can say about the Xoom is that although it is a great tablet I feel it's got more and more laggy as time goes on.
I've decided to sell it and get a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 as it seems that's the best one at the moment. It's being delivered tomorrow hopefully.
Anyone else feel the Xoom is very laggy. Sometimes it's OK but it started to really annoying me so I decided to sell while I can still get a decent price for it.
So I don't recommend anyone getting a Xoom. The Samsung 10.1 and Transformer are the best tablets at the moment.

You flashed something wrong, how can a stock tablet updated directly from google be more laggy than similar spec'd tablets?

It does not make sense?

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Whatever the reason, I don't think you can draw the conclusion that "Xooms are laggy" as mine most certainly isn't. You need to clean out your system and tune it up from time to time like any computer. Anyway, enjoy your new tablet.

screwhead89

Sep 5, 2008
Just bought a Xoom.

Choose that over transformer because -
-> Transformer is bigger in size yet screen is the same size.
-> Build quality on Xoom is said to be better.
-> Xoom will get updates first over all tabs.

Although Galaxy Tab seems to be better it doesn't have an SD card and for me that's a big no.

SlCKB0Y

Jul 15, 2010
Comparison is really clear, just go browse their forum and see how slow the Xoom community in comparison. Having said that, I do have 3.2 tiamat on my Xoom and I love my Xoom to death.

Did it ever occur to you that we have fewer roms because there is less need? We are getting updates first so of course devs of other tablets will be hacking up frankenroms of our updates...

ghodzilla5150

Jul 6, 2010
San Bernardino, CA
e
I also got my xoom on Wednesday and I must say I love it! It is a bit heavy at times although I'm sure I will get used to it. But in comparison I feel like tf has great screen but lacks in build quality imo

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

Let me give you some of great advise to carrying around the Xoom, The Otterbox Utility Series Latch: It's Amazing for the Xoom. I use it everyday and have NEVER taken it off since I got it . You can find it cheaper on Amazon or Ebay. I LOVE it. Has a handle to carry around and latches to carry around the neck. It's an Amazing device. Check it out. Even has a pouch to the prop up the Xoom to type and read. I just leave the top left latch undone so I can get to the Power Button easier. I Can see the full whole screen with no interference and it protects wonderfully. I am using this case if you are wondering.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-Xoom-B...?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item4aabe190bf

http://www.otterbox.com/OtterBox-Ut...AD1_color=20&start=2&cgid=motorola-xoom-cases

Last edited:

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
e

Let me give you some of great advise to carrying around the Xoom, The Otterbox Utility Series Latch: It's Amazing for the Xoom. I use it everyday and have NEVER taken it off since I got it . You can find it cheaper on Amazon or Ebay. I LOVE it. Has a handle to carry around and latches to carry around the neck. It's an Amazing device. Check it out. Even has a pouch to the prop up the Xoom to type and read. I just leave the top left latch undone so I can get to the Power Button easier. I Can see the full whole screen with no interference and it protects wonderfully. I am using this case if you are wondering.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-Xoom-B...?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item4aabe190bf

http://www.otterbox.com/OtterBox-Ut...AD1_color=20&start=2&cgid=motorola-xoom-cases
Very cool case.

Reactions: ghodzilla5150

Kippui

Jan 1, 2011
Did it ever occur to you that we have fewer roms because there is less need? We are getting updates first so of course devs of other tablets will be hacking up frankenroms of our updates...

Yea and have way less bugs

but then again we don't have voodoo sound or touchwiz. :(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I saw his typo too but I know what he meant. "The ASUS and XOOM are the same price for the 32GB. Eventhough the XOOM doesn't have a 16GB model." The OP said he paid $299, so he had to get the 16GB TF with a $100 off coupon. TF retails the 16GB at $399 and the 32GB at $499. TF and Xoom 32GB are the same price, retail.

Since I work with the both the Xoom, Iconia and Transformers as well as countless mobile devices every single day...

I will say,
    Iconia =
    • best sound/connectivity
    • but large and cumbersomb (owned one of these and gave it back.
    • Screen is OK, less colors than Xoom or TF
    • Beautiful back panel
    • Heaviest device of all, but.. and GIANT but.. best balance of all components, so it feels lighter than the Xoom when comparing both.
    • Amazing dev community
    • Horrible front camera placing and angle
    • Stock experience with the auto-rotate switch BLOWS balls.. (i'll explain if someone asks)
    • Microphone sucks, no noise cancellation
    • Horrid hardware decoding for Video, biggest issue with this device imo

Transformer =
    • Nice screen,
    • terrible build quality, feels plastic-y and frail.
    • IS plastic-y and frail (not hating, just the truth)
    • Biggest ding for me is build quality since it is truly a cheap device. (What else can you expect)
    • Giant screen bezel, looks retarded to me (HUGE) and the device creeks when handled (this is a giant WTF)
    • Sound sucks on this thing... but its hard to compare something like that to the Iconia, where the sound is amazing for its size. Even the Xoom sound is better.
    • Mediocre hardware decoding for Video, supports meh amount of formats

Xoom =
    • washed out screen,
    • Screen Ghosting issues (Most Xoom owners are in denial but it can be easily proven and then they feel sad),
    • meh sound,
    • AMAZING build quality and formfactor, feels super quality and is rugged (have dropped my own, zero scratches).
    • Best microphone vs output sound performance and BEST dock sound (using EQ and other things).
    • Best camera of all 3 devices by a long shot.
    • Best hardware decoding for Video, supports large amounts of formats, more than Iconia and TF.

Having compared these things...
    Things I like more about the Transformer and regret about the Xoom
    • Transformer = way more active dev community. Xoom community is pretty lame tbh.
    • The screen is more vibrant and has ZERO ghosting

Transformer dock is nice, but at a low end price the build quality issues are to be expected and of course there are many present in this device. The device definitely feels worn after some heavy use simply because its a cheap device.
    Having said that, the TF vs the xoom, the Xoom is pristine after over a month of usage.

The Iconia though, is the best one off, due to the awesome backplate and great build quality. Probably the most rugged of all the 3.

For 100 dollars more than the Transformer and an Iconia, you get a Xoom (Sometimes you can find the Xoom at the same price) and in my opinion, apart from build quality issues and the dead Xoom dev community, there is only one reason why the Xoom is better than all other devices :)

As for the video decoding thing mentioned above: This is mainly a software thing mainly because Iconia and TF use NVidia Kernel and Xoom uses Google Kernel, none the less.. still an issue out there.

Also, although most people hate on the Xoom's docks and what not, for the price they cost. The Xoom's audio dock is actually.... actually quite good. Loud and has great bass and if you EQ it right sounds great and worth every penny. Love that it uses a standard power bar from Motorola that works with other Moto devices.

The Xoom is a Google experience Android device, and therefore we don't have to even wait to get our hands on the latest and greatest when the devs are active.

ICS will come to the Xoom before any other tablet out there... that alone made me return my Iconia, and go with the Xoom :)
    e

Very cool case.