Search This thread

DSA

May 15, 2011
The app can't seem to recompile any cm11 apps for me.

Most apps decompile just fine, but recompiling immediately with no changes results in fail 100% of the time with several errors.

tested it on cm 10.2 apps with no problems.

any solutions/workarounds for this?

Are you using apktool 2.0 beta9?

Pneuma1985

Jan 5, 2011
Around
is it not possible to get vts to use the new apktool?

No its possible I did it doesnt work with htc apps but on google apps it will take the apktool and place it along with its contents in the apktool folder it worked for me i just selected it in the apktool section but for whatever reason it only likes one apktool in that folder at one time...

Reactions: jbonetwo

vampir4997

Jul 18, 2010
No its possible I did it doesnt work with htc apps but on google apps it will take the apktool and place it along with its contents in the apktool folder it worked for me i just selected it in the apktool section but for whatever reason it only likes one apktool in that folder at one time...

Ty! I think you solved my problem i was having. I also tried the lastest apktool but i left the old one in the folder.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Pneuma1985

Jan 5, 2011
Around
Ty! I think you solved my problem i was having. I also tried the lastest apktool but i left the old one in the folder.

Glad to help yeah for whatever reason it didnt like when i put both of them in but there has been a vts update since then... DB hasnt added support for the new apktool yet... Its for many reasons b/c the new apktool is geared towards kitkat google build instead of both htc and google... All it does for us htc users is help with if commands thats about it. I think DB is waiting until further development is done on the kk-apktool.. Was alot of work done by ibot for us htc people. Then again you'd have to ask DB himself to know for sure... I imagine it'll be added in the near future those guys got alot of projects they're working on. Including adding the screenshot utility and the logcat utility into VTS which will be epic when they do those two programs are awesome!

Last edited:

vampir4997

Jul 18, 2010
Errr. Now its throwing me a bunch of java errors,on two different computers,i cant even install a framework file

Jayrod76

Oct 6, 2012
Errr. Now its throwing me a bunch of java errors,on two different computers,i cant even install a framework file

It's a crap shoot on what will work with KK ,beta apktool and VTS. It's not just you. The way 2.0+ has been written incorporates both the components of apktool and thus VTS doesn't know how to handle it. There are ways to"trick" it by using a 4.3 setup to decompile, swap out .9PNG files..recompile and slip them into your 4.4 apks.
You also can use VTS to read XMLs so you can see the actual color swatches.. But I have been unable to use the beta apktool to do my edits, recompile and then swap out the res (and the actual compiled xmls) into the original apk to preserve its signature. I have only tried that trick with the Google keyboard...and failed.
Carbon and Liquid are spitting out numerous errors with just apktool so more than likely, it's how they are being built and apktool just can't make heads or tails of it. I'm all thumbs with just straight apktool which is why VTS has been my savior!

Sent via Blacked out TapaTalk on my Eclipsed Dev X

iBotPeaches

Recognized Developer
Apr 8, 2011
Tampa
connortumbleson.com
Carbon and Liquid are spitting out numerous errors with just apktool so more than likely, it's how they are being built and apktool just can't make heads or tails of it. I'm all thumbs with just straight apktool which is why VTS has been my savior!

Sent via Blacked out TapaTalk on my Eclipsed Dev X

Apktool intentionally doesn't handle Carbon/Liquid. There was a commit adding resource qualifiers for something called "inverted" mode. Apktool cannot follow every ROM's choice to modify resource qualifiers, as some may break legacy support. This specific change you are talking about, looks like it patches cleanly, but I don't know if its Apktool's job to patch itself for every ROM's change.

These changes aren't just "change x and rebuild". You have to rebuild aapt and apktool for these changes, since aapt handles the rebuild. Building aapt for 3 different platforms to test these changes isn't fun nor easy.

The best bet would be to re-engineer an aapt binary that ignores things it doesn't understand, but then how would we detect errors :eek:

Trust me, I've been thinking of ways to make this easier for everyone, and there just isn't a good extensible solution yet.

PiggySmalls

Jun 2, 2013
Louisville, KY
Apktool intentionally doesn't handle Carbon/Liquid. There was a commit adding resource qualifiers for something called "inverted" mode. Apktool cannot follow every ROM's choice to modify resource qualifiers, as some may break legacy support. This specific change you are talking about, looks like it patches cleanly, but I don't know if its Apktool's job to patch itself for every ROM's change.

These changes aren't just "change x and rebuild". You have to rebuild aapt and apktool for these changes, since aapt handles the rebuild. Building aapt for 3 different platforms to test these changes isn't fun nor easy.

The best bet would be to re-engineer an aapt binary that ignores things it doesn't understand, but then how would we detect errors :eek:

Trust me, I've been thinking of ways to make this easier for everyone, and there just isn't a good extensible solution yet.

Not real sure if this is what you are talking about, or if this will help, but SlimRoms released their apktool for use with the dark UI.

http://slimroms.net/index.php/downloads/dlsearch/viewcategory/1151-development

Reactions: coal686

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Tried that, no go...and it's all of a sudden, as it used to work fine

Was it after an update, if so de-install the current version and install a slight older version that you can download via the vts website. Just to try ofcourse.......i am just thinking out loud, sorry if it does not work in the end ;)

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
I will check later on my laptop, can you describe exactly what and how you copy ? So i can reproduce the exact setting on my unit !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vts%20banner.png

Virtuous Ten Studio (VTS) is the ultimate solution for the modification of android applications.
    This program allows you to manage entire Android projects within an easy to use and familiar environment.

The intended group of users covers anyone from a themer over ROM devs up to the smali gods known for their awesome mods of existing apks.
    The modifcation of smali code is one of the biggest features in VTS. You can easily decompile, edit and recompile any apk or jar file.
    However, the application is not limited to smali files. You can edit almost any file found inside an apk or jar.

Virtuous Ten Studio is also the official successor to the highly important M10Tools released 2011 by the Virtuous Team.
    You can easily edit any m10 file from Sense apps in order to resize or change them.

Additionally VTS brings support for un- and repacking of boot images (boot.img), a job that previously required a cygwin installation with the dsixda kitchen.
    Since VTS' own implementation is a native windows solution, which means you don't need dsixda or cygwin anymore.

VTS has been designed to run on Windows, has been in development for nearly two years and has gone through many stages of testing.

Today VTS is a highly respected, multiple purpose Android IDE (Integrated Develoment Environment) suited for all your reverse engineering tasks.

Screenshots

XDA Portal posts

Main Features

This is only a short summary of all features, a full list of features can be found here.
    • Never before seen UI
      • Fully featured IDE
      • Seamless integration of useful third party tools
        • ApkTool
        • Smali/Baksmali
        • ADB
        • Zipalign
        • Sign
        • dex2jar
        • WinMerge
        • Remote Theme Injector (RTI)
        • many more

• Work with your apks just like having real java code
      • Support for apks and framework jars
      • Easily keep track of multiple apks/jars with the Solution Explorer
      • Manage big projects with ease

• Edit smali code like never before
      • Syntax highlighting
      • Jumping to smali references (method calls, fields, classes, gotos)
      • Help files on almost every smali command and topic
      • Connection between smali code and public.xml to expose hex references
      • Have a helpful look at the java source of any smali file if needed
      • Paste often used smali snippets right from the editor

• Enhanced XML workflow
      • Easy navigation in XML documents
      • Follow XML resource paths and jump to the source file with a simple click
      • Previews of color codes, images and string resources directly in the xml file

• Edit M10 files with great usability
      • Support for all Sense versions (3.0, 3.5, 3.6, 4.0, 4.1, 4.5)
      • Work with m10 files either with the dedicated M10-Project or via the combined APK-Project
      • Decompile m10 images of all Sense versions to create HTC Sense themes
      • Quickly analyze the contents with the M10-Structure viewer
      • Validate your m10 changes with the syntax checker
      • Unimportant m10 parts are greyed out or completely hidden

• Unpack and repack boot images (boot.img)
      • Easily edit any content of your boot.img
      • Dedicated syntax highlighting for *.rc and *.prop files
      • Advanced support for files modes and symlinks
      • Native implementation, no need for cygwin or the dsixda kitchen

• Communicate with your device with yet to be seen ease
      • Tight integration of most ADB commands
      • Push apks or jars easily to any place on your device
      • Remote import files to edit them with VTS
      • Debug your device with the integrated Logcat-Viewer

• Enhance your workflow with useful additions
      • Easily create backups of your projects
      • Dedicated compare interface for easy comparision of files, folders or projects

• Hundreds of other awesome features (seriously, you really have to see and try it yourself)

User feedback

I've had the pleasure of beta testing and writing tuts for vts and I must say that it is the most useful, well put together program for Android that I've ever used.
    I got that excited that I almost pre jacked when I first used it.
    It is simply truly fxxxxng amazing.
    Thank you team and testers
    Diamondback and everyone involved in this project - thank you! I just started learning (this morning) and
    I am already pushing out some alpha mods to the lockscreen thanks to your tool!!
    It is a great tool, and I will be using it more as I learn more.
    Thank you for the effort you put into this for free, it is amazing. Keep it up! :)
    VTS has done amazing, meticulous work that has enriched, massively, the android community.
    Thank you!

As someone that's been using your tools since they were first available, I give a HUGE thanks.
    I have, like duce been innovative with m10 modding. There are probably endless options, through mostly trial and error.
    The payoff on the end result is always worth it. I'll be more than happy when your next release is out.
    I've been using VTS for over 2 months now and it has become the only tool I use. There are tremedous advantages and I'm still finding more. The java source tools are invaluable when working with xmls and smalis. I can now switch between projects with 3 clicks. Great program for modding.
    This is probably by far the most useful thing I've used on windows lol
    Ohh this is going to be awesome. I'm giddy with excitement. Great job on the app as a whole but with the upcoming m10 editing?
    You guys rocked any other editor out of the water. Keep it up :good:
    Waw.. this project is being developed very fast.... many changes in the software since the last 2 months when I tried it...

Awesome!!!
    Thanks alot for the hard work, and great job.
    I want to give a huge THANKS for the Virtuous Team!
    I finally released a working transparent HTC clock widget on One X thanks to the new editor.
    I'm just glad that there are people out there smart enough to do this stuff! I was seconds away from getting a Samsung.
    Thank you Diamond for this superb tool and updates!

Thanks everyone for this. I decompiled, made an edit, then recompiled my first skin last night thanks to this tool and my helpful huddle mates and teammates.
    Great job VTS team and thanks for the many hours of hard work and testing.
    Thank you very much Diamondback for all the hard work you put into this. You're the man!
    I just tried it now :D And I would just say WOWWWW.....
    This is awesome! [..] And again bravo for your help, HTC Sense is much sexier thanks to you
    Thanks again man, I really love this :good::highfive:
    I have just found this, and it's amazing
    Just dropped in to say that Virtuous Ten Studio has been an enriching experience for me
    You make us feel crazy ,This tool is a bomb .
    Thanks so much man, its nice to have the dev give a direct and clear response.
    Awesome tool.Comes in handy many times.thank you
    Dude you rock thanks so much for your kick ass creation!

Featured Projects

These projects were created with the help of VTS, check them out :good: (alphabetical order)

XDA:DevDB Information
    Virtuous Ten Studio, Tool/Utility for the Android General

Contributors
    Diamondback

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.6.30.14100
    Stable Release Date: 2014-06-30

Created 2013-11-14
    Last Updated 2014-10-31
    Changelog & News

Bugs & Issues

If you are about to make a new post in this thread asking for help because you got an issue, please make sure to check the FAQs here first.
    If you still need help, please include all the required information listed under the "Something else went wrong" section.
    I can't help you if you forget to provide these information.

If you got any issues feel free to ask here while adhering to the guidelines above.

I am also usually available on IRC, channel #vts-dev on Freenode. If I don't immediately answer you, stick around for a while and make sure to mention my name so I get a notification.

Guides and tutorials

My team and I spent a lot of time on writing detailed and comprehensive guides and tutorials about VTS.
    They cover a wide range of topics, from a total beginner level up to complex topics like creating your own HTC Sense skins.

You can find the guides on my website:

Need help with M10 mods? Have a look at this thread. (no requests please)

Download and more information

The downloads, tutorials and many more resources can be found on the dedicated VTS website

http://www.virtuous-ten-studio.com/
    Reserved for later :)
    Reserved for later :)
    Okay, everyone, we are getting ready for release. :highfive:
    However, there are a few points everyone has to understand, so I'll publish them prior to the official launch to get a bit more attention. :silly:

First of all, a huge thanks to my beta testers and tutorial authors: (alphabetical order)
    • Dunc001
    • eg1122
    • Fernando sor
    • fisha21
    • Gumby63
    • il Duce
    • jeffsanace
    • mcluvn
    • memnoc
    Those guys earned my trust and did the major work on writing all the nice guides and tutorials on the all new VTS website (more on that later).

Let's have a look at the new key features being added in this release:
    • VTS is now able to decompile m10 images. This means everyone can do skins for HTC Sense devices
    • Navigatin in XML documents is much easier now. Simply hold CTRL and click on any reference inside a XML document to jump to the source
    • The content of smali documents gets automatically checked for syntax errors now. Live. And in color. :p
    • We worked hard to provide you useful guides and tutorials on the new website. Additionally, VTS has a (little) help system built in. These are short explanations for a few key features. You can find everything related to "Help" in the new Help tab.
    • It seems nobody saw the potential of the old "Backup" feature, so in this version I added an additional window to easily compare different projects, folders and files. This comes in super handy when porting all kinds of stuff to new apk/jar versions for example.

Okay, so, this is only a super short list of new features, the full list of changes (almost 2 pages long) can be found (as always) here:
    VTS Changelog

A few additional notes:
    • I changed the license system a bit to help those that had to start VTS with admin rights to find the license. However, to fully use that fix, you need to activate your license in VTS again. Have a look at your license email if you don't remember anymore how to do that.
    • This release should fully support Windows 8. There's a little glitch in the "View tab" where one checkbox is a bit cut off, but I'll fix that with the next version.
    • Speaking of the next version.... This is the last release with support for Windows XP. The next version (the one after the the one that will be released shortly :p) won't suppor XP anymore. So if you are still using XP (shame on you :p), remember to not update after this release.
    • Despite having fixed the admin issue with licenses, it still seems that VTS needs admin rights for certain other things. If something goes weirdly wrong, try restarting VTS with admin rights.