How To Repair HTC One X Screen

Search This thread

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
RepairsUniverse compiled a written repair guide to repair a damaged screen or other internal components on your HTC One X. This detailed take apart guide will walk you through each step on how to disassemble and replace the damaged parts on your One X.

This guide will help you to install the following HTC One X part(s):
  • HTC One X Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
  • HTC One X LCD Screen Replacement

Tools Required:
  • Safe Open Pry Tool
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • Adhesive Strips (for touch screen repair)
  • Hot Air Gun / Hair Dryer

HTC One X Repair Guide:
  • First, use a safe open pry tool to begin releasing the back housing. Start at the bottom of the device and work your way around the edges, applying pressure to pop the case off. With all 3 sides released you can pull the device from the back cover. Be cautious as the battery is often adhered to the housing and will need to be removed with the rest of the device.
  • Once the back cover had been removed, we can now remove the small plastic housing located near the camera. Used Small Phillips screwdriver then remove the five (5) screws shown in red on figure 1.

htc-one-x-1a.jpg

Figure 1​

• There will be one (1) more small Phillips screws that will be located at the bottom of the motherboard, near the battery, that will need to be removed.
  • Start releasing all the connections located on the motherboard. Release the single pop connector and jaw connector located on the top of the motherboard (shown in orange in figure 1).
  • Release the power button flex cable and volume button flex cable from the housing. These will be lightly adhered to the housing (shown in green in figure 1).
  • You can now lightly lift the motherboard up, being careful as it is still attached with flex cables. The battery can also be swung out, revealing two (2) more connection on the skinny part of the motherboard. Release these two connections and remove the motherboard and battery from the device (shown in figure 2).

htc-one-x-2a.jpg

Figure 2​

• Use a heat gun or hair dryer to start warming the front of the screen assembly. Work around the outside edges of the screen on medium heat for about 45 seconds. This will soften the adhesive holding the screen assembly to the housing.
  • Once the screen is properly heated you can use a safe open pry tool to being lifting the screen assembly away from the housing. Be sure to lift both screens out at the same time.
  • After the screens are partially released, be sure the flex cables are fed through the housing. Remove the screen assembly.
  • Use the heat gun or hair dryer again to warm the seal between the touch screen and LCD screen. Use quick movements for about 30 seconds. Once this is complete, use a safe open pry tool to carefully separate the screens.
  • You can now replace the touch screen digitizer or LCD screen.

Reverse the instructions above to reassemble your phone.

arabology

Jan 25, 2011
Beirut
Was it proved that the digitizer can be safely removed from the LCD without messing it up? As I watched a video on YouTube, the guy ruined his LCD screen in the process....i have a broken digitizer and I'm not willing to buy digitizer+LCD for $150 while my LCD is working fine....i hope you can tell me if changing the digitizer alone is possible.
Thank you!

Raider0001

Apr 26, 2011
What about dust particles and finger prints ? is it true that there is no air in between digitizer and lcd ?

djyod

Jul 9, 2012
hi,

My LCD is not broken, only the glass... but I'm afraid to separate the glass of the LCD.

I read so many message that said they broke the LCD.

should it be difficult to separate when the glass is "hot" ?

Thank you

Phil

halcy0n

Jul 11, 2012
I don't think it is possible to separate lcd and glass

after doing some extensive research I finally committed myself to try to separate the lcd and the broken glass
the result: I ripped the lcd's layers apart, just as the experienced service guy did here too at 26:53
youtu.be/H5TRf0REyMM

I believe it is not possible to separate the factory assembled (broken) digitizer glass from the LCD screen
the topmost layer of the LCD is glued so heavily to the glass, that even if you heat it very carefully the other layers will separate sooner (thus breaking the black tape holding together the lcd layers) then the lcd would separate from the glass

I was able to find only one video on YouTube which shows a successful separation of the lcd and the glass:
youtu.be/aknwDBR0IIA

but!
imho this is not a factory assembled unit or at least the sticker tape holding together the glass and the screen is different on my unit, it doesn't have anything like the white tapes seen at 6:52 on the glass

the only reason why you can buy separate touch digitizer glass at all, is to glue it together with a brand new lcd, but there is no way to recover your lcd from a phone, however unharmed it is

Reactions: irvs and toooby

arabology

Jan 25, 2011
Beirut
after doing some extensive research I finally committed myself to try to separate the lcd and the broken glass
the result: I ripped the lcd's layers apart, just as the experienced service guy did here too at 26:53
youtu.be/H5TRf0REyMM

I believe it is not possible to separate the factory assembled (broken) digitizer glass from the LCD screen
the topmost layer of the LCD is glued so heavily to the glass, that even if you heat it very carefully the other layers will separate sooner (thus breaking the black tape holding together the lcd layers) then the lcd would separate from the glass

I was able to find only one video on YouTube which shows a successful separation of the lcd and the glass:
youtu.be/aknwDBR0IIA

but!
imho this is not a factory assembled unit or at least the sticker tape holding together the glass and the screen is different on my unit, it doesn't have anything like the white tapes seen at 6:52 on the glass

the only reason why you can buy separate touch digitizer glass at all, is to glue it together with a brand new lcd, but there is no way to recover your lcd from a phone, however unharmed it is

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!
i have no more thanks to use. your post was very helpful indeed. i stick my voice to yours, the LCD can't be taken apart from the digitzer. i tried and failed. just like the guy in the video and your case as well.

dryan433

Nov 28, 2010
Uk
Android Automotive OS
You will find it near impossible to split the display from digitizer the screen is laminated to it via some very strong glue even heating the screen could damage the display they don't take kindly to excessive heat so it will be very slim doing so and succeeding without any damage

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
You will find it near impossible to split the display from digitizer the screen is laminated to it via some very strong glue even heating the screen could damage the display they don't take kindly to excessive heat so it will be very slim doing so and succeeding without any damage

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

It is hard to separate on this model. We actually recommend the full screen replacement so you can avoid this altogether. You can find this here - HTC One X LCD + Touch Screen Replacement

SoulSmasher

May 13, 2012
Istanbul
My Touch panel was broken, and even if the technical service didn't want to, they changed the lcd also. even the technical service workers couldn't manage to separate the two.

/2cents

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

HAFTX

Aug 8, 2012
It's not very easy to separate the 2. This is why we recommend the full screen replacement - TC One X Touch Screen + LCD replacement

Actually I found it pretty easy to seperate the two. I just placed the nail of my thumb between the lcd and digitizer and went around the whole screen. Took it apart without any problems.

Rageypeep

Feb 21, 2011
Exeter
You can buy new LCD/ digitiser combined for not a lot more then just the digitiser, also if you get the two already joined there will be less dust in between the screen and LCD then if you yourself did it.... knowing my luck I would drop the thing on the floor before I stuck they together lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

hondasr

Aug 1, 2009
I get a replacement lcd assembly is returned it because don't have the captive button light difuser. If somebody here find a full assembly replacement with the captive button light difuser please let's know.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

windfan

Dec 6, 2007
May I have the service manual of HTC ONE X? Please help!

May I have the service manual of HTC ONE X?
Please help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    RepairsUniverse compiled a written repair guide to repair a damaged screen or other internal components on your HTC One X. This detailed take apart guide will walk you through each step on how to disassemble and replace the damaged parts on your One X.

This guide will help you to install the following HTC One X part(s):
    • HTC One X Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
    • HTC One X LCD Screen Replacement

Tools Required:
    • Safe Open Pry Tool
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver
    • Adhesive Strips (for touch screen repair)
    • Hot Air Gun / Hair Dryer

HTC One X Repair Guide:
    • First, use a safe open pry tool to begin releasing the back housing. Start at the bottom of the device and work your way around the edges, applying pressure to pop the case off. With all 3 sides released you can pull the device from the back cover. Be cautious as the battery is often adhered to the housing and will need to be removed with the rest of the device.
    • Once the back cover had been removed, we can now remove the small plastic housing located near the camera. Used Small Phillips screwdriver then remove the five (5) screws shown in red on figure 1.

htc-one-x-1a.jpg

Figure 1​

• There will be one (1) more small Phillips screws that will be located at the bottom of the motherboard, near the battery, that will need to be removed.
    • Start releasing all the connections located on the motherboard. Release the single pop connector and jaw connector located on the top of the motherboard (shown in orange in figure 1).
    • Release the power button flex cable and volume button flex cable from the housing. These will be lightly adhered to the housing (shown in green in figure 1).
    • You can now lightly lift the motherboard up, being careful as it is still attached with flex cables. The battery can also be swung out, revealing two (2) more connection on the skinny part of the motherboard. Release these two connections and remove the motherboard and battery from the device (shown in figure 2).

htc-one-x-2a.jpg

Figure 2​

• Use a heat gun or hair dryer to start warming the front of the screen assembly. Work around the outside edges of the screen on medium heat for about 45 seconds. This will soften the adhesive holding the screen assembly to the housing.
    • Once the screen is properly heated you can use a safe open pry tool to being lifting the screen assembly away from the housing. Be sure to lift both screens out at the same time.
    • After the screens are partially released, be sure the flex cables are fed through the housing. Remove the screen assembly.
    • Use the heat gun or hair dryer again to warm the seal between the touch screen and LCD screen. Use quick movements for about 30 seconds. Once this is complete, use a safe open pry tool to carefully separate the screens.
    • You can now replace the touch screen digitizer or LCD screen.

Reverse the instructions above to reassemble your phone.
    Thanks for the information. Very curious to know if this is really a original screen, if so I can order one for a friend of mine, who has a One X with a broken screen. Hopefully you can take some pictures once you installed it, I am especially interesed in the viewing angles of this screen.

Right screen fitted, it IS an original, fitted it, spot on!! Will put photos on when I can :good:

Viewing Angle Perfect!!

Link to photos below, unfortunetly cannot post links as I am a new user

w w w.d r o p b o x . c o m/sh/oq40am214eep0zj/RjTdlBGNH4/HTC%20One%20X%20Screen

Hope this helps everyone in sourcing a screen
    Well, at first thank you repair universe for your guide! It was useful for me!
    I repaired successfully my HTC One X and now it's great!

I'd like to share my experiences with you guys hoping that they'll be useful for you.
    Replacing the screen ain't an easy thing as you can easily understand but if you are very patient and good at this kind of things, and you are going to follow this guide, you can try.
    The most hard part was to find a good seller who can deliver you an Original HTC OEM product!
    Infact, most of the seller will send you a chinese crap item that will break in 4/5 month of usage and it's far from being an authentical Gorilla Glass Screen! I went over 4 refunds before getting a genuine one.
    The reliable seller that I found is express-homeshop, and you can visit it through the links that I've posted before; I believe that there are also some other shops where you can find authentical original screens..
    However if you need to know the difference between a crap and an original one, the method to find out if your screen is original is :

1)the screen must be as dark as the original cracked one if it's off!!
    2)you have to put a finger on the glass and another on the LCD panel and press. If it doesn't appear anything on the screen then it's original, otherwise you will get a "reverse bubble" effect which will turn on damaging the touch panel (crappy chinese products).
    3)The original units have three backlights conductive paths made in plastic, located between the glass and the lcd panel, that will redirect your backlights to the right place (otherwise they'll be shifted of about 0,5cm from the capacitive button place)
    4)The HTC logo on the top of the glass must be as tall as your cracked original screen (chinese's one is taller)
    5)The crappy unit is slightly thicker than the original and as soon as you reassembly the phone you will do notice that!! the screen will be higher than the plastic and it will cause a different feel of the phone and an increased probability to break your screen.

with this method you should distinguish a good assembly from a crappy one! They are very different as you can notice!

I strongly suggest you to take an original piece (even if it costs a little bit more 90€ against 160€) because the difference is very very noticeable (I had both original and crappy).

Don't believe to sellers who tell you that "it's original" without sending you photos of the real product. You need the photos and my method to be sure to purchase an original unit.
    And be sure that they will offer you a refund in case anything goes wrong!
    In fact, most of the sellers don't even know that their product is not original!

I hope that this will be helpful for you unlucky people with broken screen like I was before! :)

Now I leave you some photos of my new amazing original screen next to my old cracked one! :)

Regards!
    Yes this is possible. These screens are not fused together but held by adhesive. You will need to apply heat on the front touchscreen too loosen the adhesive. Good luck with the repair.
    The screen for the international and AT&T version are the same except for the fact that they have a different logo in the front as far as I know...
    However I successfully repaired my phone by myself...
    The piece I bought was original HTC!
    Now my phone is repaired and I M very happy with it...
    Ps if you need any photo of my repaired phone just ask...

Inviato dal mio HTC One X

Glad to hear your repair went well!