Sad News Inside : Hint[KNOX]

Search This thread

NoteboyTech

Apr 23, 2013
Delhi
techtactics-by-rbhk.blogspot.in
Samsung Knox 2.0 brings two-factor authentication and better sandboxing
-
You may have thought that you could get away from more Samsung news after the tsunami of Galaxy S5 coverage, but Samsung never strays too far from the headlines in the mobile world. During the S5 announcement, Samsung promised a new version of its Knox security would be unveiled, and now we know what to expect. Not surprisingly, Knox 2.0 leverages the Galaxy S5's new fingerprint scanner, and offers quite a bit more for the enterprise crowd.

The new version of Knox will offer a special treat for those who grab the new Galaxy S5 by allowing users to set up two-factor authentication on their devices. This would mean needing to both scan your fingerprint and enter your password to access your data. Samsung also has plenty of new features for those with older devices, and many focus on making management easier for both users and the IT department.

Users get better sandboxing, so you can set up separate containers for different jobs or multiple locations or even as a way to separate your work data from personal data. It has also been made easier to get the apps you want and need. Now, any apps that support Android's multi-user framework can be installed into a secure container.

On the enterprise management side, there is a new cloud-based console for IT admins to keep control of devices, user accounts, access, and apps. The system now supports iOS devices in addition to Android as well. Samsung has also set up a new Knox Marketplace, where businesses can discover and install Knox services.

Samsung has been pushing hard to gain more share of the enterprise market, but the numbers are difficult to parse. Samsung has said that it has sold 25 million devices with Knox since it first launched in , but there are only 1 million active users. It also reported 210,000 new activations each month. Knox 2.0 will be rolling out in Q2 of 2014 and will require Android 4.4.

Any words???

bdithug

Mar 26, 2012
Burlington
LG G8
Sony Xperia 1 IV
I read that article this morning. All it means is I'm done with Samsung until they revamp their Knox / warranty policy. When you spend hundreds of dollars on a phone, you should be able to customize the software without voiding your warranty. Samsung is garbage now.

When I buy a computer that is preloaded with Windows, then install Linux to dual boot, I don't void my warranty on it. Why should it be different with a phone?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

dandroid13

Dec 19, 2010
Porto Alegre
Goodbye Knox 0x0 root for ever.\

Bye SAMMY

I read that article this morning. All it means is I'm done with Samsung until they revamp their Knox / warranty policy. When you spend hundreds of dollars on a phone, you should be able to customize the software without voiding your warranty. Samsung is garbage now.

When I buy a computer that is preloaded with Windows, then install Linux to dual boot, I don't void my warranty on it. Why should it be different with a phone?

Nobody ever said that you can't root or that you lose your warranty.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I knew six months ago that any new Galaxy phone I upgrade to, will be a Google Play Edition only.
That or the Developer edition. Either should be easier to root/ROM.

AT&T and Verizon are for sure locked down. No AOSP ROM's at all.
Not sure about Sprint or T-Mobile?

Reactions: shaarky

bdithug

Mar 26, 2012
Burlington
LG G8
Sony Xperia 1 IV
Just went to best buy and spoke with a Samsung agent from their Samsung department. Rooting your phone does void your warranty here in Canada and most likely the US as well.

Screw samsung

mymusicathome

Dec 4, 2011
I ditched my s4 before the 4.2 update to avoid Knox. I am no fan of any device I can not root/recovery and then return it to factory state.

Loving life in nexus land.

Sent from my HammerHead

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly

Yeah, I said the same thing. I ended up leaving VZW for Tmo (the ETF payoff thingy) and their Note 3 has unlocked bootloader. Basically a developers edition.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

I knew six months ago that any new Galaxy phone I upgrade to, will be a Google Play Edition only.
That or the Developer edition. Either should be easier to root/ROM.

AT&T and Verizon are for sure locked down. No AOSP ROM's at all.
Not sure about Sprint or T-Mobile?

lol ill repeat myself... thats the same thing I said as well before switching to Tmo and getting their Note 3 which has unlocked bootloader. Basically a developers edition.

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt

because you can't brick your computer unless you do stupid things with your motherboard bios or whatever.

Reactions: vbetts

xda rocks

+1.
What is a device that do not provide me the way I wanted it to. I truly believe the very popularity of the Samsung is not just for their heavy Touchwiz UI but it provides the customization to the user to use it as they wish.
I never will let Samsung decide how I have to use my phone and it is me who should think what I have to do with my phone.

All that I say is Samsung S5 is Sorry5, Goodbye5, Sucks5 and Knox -5

Josh McGrath

Jan 16, 2013
OnePlus 9
I don't see what the big deal about Knox is.?? I don't have it but if I did and I have to do a warranty exchange, I'll hard brick it by flashing a bad rom etc. They can't tell it's been flashed or rooted if it won't turn on right?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

G

GuestX0057

They can't tell it's been flashed or rooted if it won't turn on right?
If they can boot it to download mode they can see the Knox flag so that won't work. And to anyone who said that Knox won't void your warranty in Europe etc.... Are you ready to take Samsung to court just to prove a point? They have voided warranties for custom stuff before and even though many countries have strong consumer laws, you would most likely have to sue Samsung. That would cost more time and money than most people have just to get a warranty repair/replacement.

Plus Samsung isn't the only manufacturer who's doing this. Sony has began locking their bootloaders and it's getting more and more difficult to unlock+root their phones without leaving traces. Same applies to HTC who have an "unlocked" flag for unlocked bootloaders. And LG is catching up etc.

Basically Samsung or not, the days of rooting + flashing without issues are gone. That's just how it is now.

If you want a phone to toy around, get a Nexus or be prepared to take responsibility of your device even if the fault isn't yours.

fzammetti

Aug 21, 2008
www.zammetti.com
If they can boot it to download mode they can see the Knox flag so that won't work. And to anyone who said that Knox won't void your warranty in Europe etc.... Are you ready to take Samsung to court just to prove a point? They have voided warranties for custom stuff before and even though many countries have strong consumer laws, you would most likely have to sue Samsung. That would cost more time and money than most people have just to get a warranty repair/replacement.

Plus Samsung isn't the only manufacturer who's doing this. Sony has began locking their bootloaders and it's getting more and more difficult to unlock+root their phones without leaving traces. Same applies to HTC who have an "unlocked" flag for unlocked bootloaders. And LG is catching up etc.

Basically Samsung or not, the days of rooting + flashing without issues are gone. That's just how it is now.

If you want a phone to toy around, get a Nexus or be prepared to take responsibility of your device even if the fault isn't yours.

True... but cut the wires off your USB charger so they're exposed. do the same on an old power cord, connect 'em and plug it in... oh, wear some rubber gloves while you do this :) "Hey man, the damned thing just COMBUSTED in my hand!"

(Actually, would be better with something like 24V... enough to fry the main board but not enough to generate TOO much outward hints)

skivnit

May 21, 2012
Just a out of curiosity how many times you guys used your warranty for one of your phones? I have been owning phones since 2000, and I never used my warranty once..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

fzammetti

Aug 21, 2008
www.zammetti.com
Just a out of curiosity how many times you guys used your warranty for one of your phones? I have been owning phones since 2000, and I never used my warranty once..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've never done so on the manufacturer's warranty, it's always been on the insurance my carrier offers, I've done that a couple of times. They don't (or at least, never have) cared about root or warranty flags or any of that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure if you trip your Knox counter, your warranty is void.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50219902&postcount=1983
    I never cared for warranty stuff,as far as I'm concerned, Knox can kiss my a$$.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    -
    You may have thought that you could get away from more Samsung news after the tsunami of Galaxy S5 coverage, but Samsung never strays too far from the headlines in the mobile world. During the S5 announcement, Samsung promised a new version of its Knox security would be unveiled, and now we know what to expect. Not surprisingly, Knox 2.0 leverages the Galaxy S5's new fingerprint scanner, and offers quite a bit more for the enterprise crowd.

The new version of Knox will offer a special treat for those who grab the new Galaxy S5 by allowing users to set up two-factor authentication on their devices. This would mean needing to both scan your fingerprint and enter your password to access your data. Samsung also has plenty of new features for those with older devices, and many focus on making management easier for both users and the IT department.

Users get better sandboxing, so you can set up separate containers for different jobs or multiple locations or even as a way to separate your work data from personal data. It has also been made easier to get the apps you want and need. Now, any apps that support Android's multi-user framework can be installed into a secure container.

On the enterprise management side, there is a new cloud-based console for IT admins to keep control of devices, user accounts, access, and apps. The system now supports iOS devices in addition to Android as well. Samsung has also set up a new Knox Marketplace, where businesses can discover and install Knox services.

Samsung has been pushing hard to gain more share of the enterprise market, but the numbers are difficult to parse. Samsung has said that it has sold 25 million devices with Knox since it first launched in , but there are only 1 million active users. It also reported 210,000 new activations each month. Knox 2.0 will be rolling out in Q2 of 2014 and will require Android 4.4.

Any words???
    -

Any words???

Goodbye Knox 0x0 root for ever.\

Bye SAMMY