New S-Pen optimized Image Editor Beta RELEASED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

lschiedel

Nov 30, 2012
I am close to releasing my Image Editor for Android called ImageFactory.
I am thinking of releasing a version without SPen libraries on the Play Store and another with the SPen libraries (much larger) on the Samsung App store.

Any ideas on if this is a good idea?
The SPen libraries really add to the size of the app.

Anyway, the app is a Photo Editor with paint tools, filter tools, and multiple floating layers including Image Layers, Text Layers, and Vector Layers.

The SPen support includes hover emulating moving the virtual mouse (a float brush icon that is see through when trimming layers) and uses the button on the pen to emulate left button/right button by click, letting you change from fore-ground color to back-ground color, as well as toggle between trimming layers by brush and untrimming layers by brush.

It supports large heap (meaning huge multi-mega-pixel images).

It has an image surface on the left, a toolbar on the top right, and a scroll pad/mouse pad on the bottom right.

It only needs some more icons and a little more debugging.

Any interest?

UPDATED: 12/16/2012 with latest version

UPDATED: 12/24/2012 with latest version with bug fixes and improved help

UPDATED: 12/30/2012 with possible release candidate with more features and bug fixes. View source of vector works, 2nd click on edit text now brings up soft keyboard. Toggle pan view and trackpad put on edit ribbon.

UPDATED: 1/1/2012 extended beta good till march, took out full screen so title bar with menu button shows. menu has undo/redo zooms trackpad or panview.

UPDATED: 1/6/2012 with fixes to properly stopping background thread (which caused problems on 2nd+ runs) and added action bar with undo and zoom in/out icons

Attachments

• ImageFactory.apk
    696.2 KB · Views: 1,378
Last edited:

syanz87

I am thinking of releasing a version without SPen libraries on the Play Store and another with the SPen libraries (much larger) on the Samsung App store.

Anyway, the app is a Photo Editor with paint tools, filter tools, and multiple floating layers including Image Layers, Text Layers, and Vector Layers.

The SPen support includes hover emulating moving the virtual mouse (a float brush icon that is see through when trimming layers) and uses the button on the pen to emulate left button/right button by click, letting you change from fore-ground color to back-ground color, as well as toggle between trimming layers by brush and untrimming layers by brush.

It has an image surface on the left, a toolbar on the top right, and a scroll pad/mouse pad on the bottom right.

Any interest?

keep it up bro..great idea..
Waiting for the release...

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

rico192

Jan 25, 2008
Houston
Very interested. Any ideas on why there are no vector based programs like corel draw

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: DBBGBA

toenail_flicker

Dec 18, 2011
I don't use the Samsung app store since it is limited to Samsung devices, so would appreciate having the compatible version with the Samsung libraries on Google Play, as well. Otherwise it won't be on my short list. Many thanks.

xMimyx

Apr 26, 2012
great !

but please not the samsung store ..
It's limited to a very few countries .. :(

lschiedel

Nov 30, 2012
I think it is better to put it in XDA forum as a triad first.

we can be ur tester :D

idea ?:good:

It's actually close enough to being released. Maybe I will do a version good till the end of the year.
I've been working on on android for a year but on windows for several.

I am thinking of making it free but with an in app purchase to unlock layers.
What do people think?

I also think the ui is worth trying to protect. Maybe a patent.

lschiedel

Nov 30, 2012
I don't use the Samsung app store since it is limited to Samsung devices, so would appreciate having the compatible version with the Samsung libraries on Google Play, as well. Otherwise it won't be on my short list. Many thanks.

Since the spen libraries are so large, I don't know if want to release just the one version. Maybe I can release two versions on the App Store.

donec

Aug 21, 2012
Can you make a portion of the screen like the bottom half ignore the hand while keeping the working area free to move around and zoom in and out with buttons. I seems that should be much easier than trying to work with palm rejection?

asdfuogh

Jun 22, 2011
Can you make a portion of the screen like the bottom half ignore the hand while keeping the working area free to move around and zoom in and out with buttons. I seems that should be much easier than trying to work with palm rejection?

I feel like that would just mean the app won't utilize the difference between the spen and capacitive stylii. I mean, the whole reason I stopped using my adonit jot was because I didn't like having to keep my palm off the screen, or only leaving my palm on one part of the screen..

donec

Aug 21, 2012
I feel like that would just mean the app won't utilize the difference between the spen and capacitive stylii. I mean, the whole reason I stopped using my adonit jot was because I didn't like having to keep my palm off the screen, or only leaving my palm on one part of the screen..
It would allow the app to be used with devices that do not have the palm rejection of the GNote10 and since the palm rejection does not really work that well even in S-Note it would offer an improved writting experience with the GNote10. The S-Pen will always write better than any capacitive pen even the Adonit Jot Pro which I also have and like but not for the GNote10 because of how much better the S-Pen is.

DJsCrIBbLe

Feb 22, 2012
ID say play store for sure for both versions . Maybe a beta here on. Xda before final release. Also ID say make a free version with as many good features as possible then an unlock version to unlock only the most advances user features not everyone might use....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

lschiedel

Nov 30, 2012
ID say play store for sure for both versions . Maybe a beta here on. Xda before final release. Also ID say make a free version with as many good features as possible then an unlock version to unlock only the most advances user features not everyone might use....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

I am thinking i am going to try to build a beta this weekend and put it up here. Probably with all features except with an expiry date and maybe take out saving in jpeg and png.
How do i post the file if i do it that way?

Then the releave version will be free but with layers requiring an in-app purchase to unlock.

DJsCrIBbLe

Feb 22, 2012
I am thinking i am going to try to build a beta this weekend and put it up here. Probably with all features except with an expiry date and maybe take out saving in jpeg and png.
How do i post the file if i do it that way?

Then the releave version will be free but with layers requiring an in-app purchase to unlock.

I'd still allow saving png or jpeg in beta but go with an expiration date ... then for your final version I'd maybe include 2 layers or even 3 in free but allow many more in the paid version. Maybe a few other advanced features can only be included in the paid as well

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

ratindahat

Nov 11, 2006
Just an idea for you on the palm rejection bit. In lecture notes you can basically turn off inputs other than the stylus for certain (almost all) tasks. I find this to work really well actually. Currently the only things i allow touch inputs on are the tool bar items. I prefer this method personally as i have had palm rejection issues in apps that only reject when the pen is in range.

That's my idea.

lschiedel

Nov 30, 2012
I'd still allow saving png or jpeg in beta but go with an expiration date ... then for your final version I'd maybe include 2 layers or even 3 in free but allow many more in the paid version. Maybe a few other advanced features can only be included in the paid as well

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

I have a custom file format that keeps the layers seperate that i plan on leaving in. So you can still save your work but i dont risk losing future sales.

Maybe the free version will allow layers but not let you paste them (for when saving as a jpeg and gif).

SO MANY DECISIONS! This is why i am having trouble releasing this on the market! (that and icons).

HasC

Mar 2, 2006
I have a custom file format that keeps the layers seperate that i plan on leaving in. So you can still save your work but i dont risk losing future sales.

Maybe the free version will allow layers but not let you paste them (for when saving as a jpeg and gif).

SO MANY DECISIONS! This is why i am having trouble releasing this on the market! (that and icons).

Lol, you may have to re-think the layers and pasting bit, the note can take excellent screen shots!

ftarules

Jan 20, 2007
It's actually close enough to being released. Maybe I will do a version good till the end of the year.
I've been working on on android for a year but on windows for several.

I am thinking of making it free but with an in app purchase to unlock layers.
What do people think?

I also think the ui is worth trying to protect. Maybe a patent.

I'm constantly disappointed by the amount of developer interest in android tablet apps. iPad gets all the love. That's why I'll support any developer who makes good apps for Android.

I'll be the first to buy your app when released.

But please make a vector graphic app :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

lschiedel

Nov 30, 2012
I have a version ready to release as Beta!

But... i cannot seem to get Proguard to let me build a release version with the SPen libraries!

I keep getting an error about samsung.sdraw.CanvasView missings fields android.text.Layout$Alignment ALIGN_LEFT and ALIGN_RIGHT and void setCursorColor(int).

I found a page about this on samsung's board but the fix has no effect for me.

I don't know what to do. Has anyone ran into this problem before? Who do i contact for more support?

Does anyone want a beta without the SPEN functionality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Any interest?

UPDATED: 12/16/2012 with latest version

UPDATED: 12/24/2012 with latest version with bug fixes and improved help

UPDATED: 12/30/2012 with possible release candidate with more features and bug fixes. View source of vector works, 2nd click on edit text now brings up soft keyboard. Toggle pan view and trackpad put on edit ribbon.

UPDATED: 1/1/2012 extended beta good till march, took out full screen so title bar with menu button shows. menu has undo/redo zooms trackpad or panview.

UPDATED: 1/6/2012 with fixes to properly stopping background thread (which caused problems on 2nd+ runs) and added action bar with undo and zoom in/out icons
    BETA is Ready!

OK. I fixed the problem.
    I added the text from the Samsung forum in the wrong file and the message had {;] when it should have been {;}

So, the Beta is ready. (including SPEN functionality).

Note that this expires at the end of the year and all save except the propriety format which includes floating layers.

It says on load whether it recognizes the model as SPEN enabled. Let me know if your model should be recognized but isn't.

I really need to create a help file but feel free to play.

Ask me any questions you have.
    New Version

I have a new version (attached to the first message in the thread instead of this one as someone above suggested).

In this version i have :
    fixed scroll code so that you cant scroll beyond the edge of the image.
    removed unneccessary permissions involving phone and network state.
    removed SPEN library and replaced it with Android 4.0 built in stylus support.

The last change is important in that it shrunk the program to less than a third (656 KB), and now is a universal app that should run on any android 4.0+ device with stylus or any android 2.3+ android device without stylus. So i only need to do a single app on the market.
    I have tested the stylus support on my Note 2 and Note 10.1 and stylus support does not seem impaired.

So let me know what you think.
    This week is going to be help file writing time (wish me luck).
    Next week may be more fixes and possibly camera support (with possibly layers appearing over the live image so that you can position and zoom to fit the layers. can you say borders and put you in a scene from a movie with floating pieces? I may even try to support green screen so that green in the camera is transparent and does not replace the existing background. I dont know if i will get this done in time for the first store release)

Len.
    Next Version

Here is my latest version.
    I forced it to landscape and turned on the large heap flag (so should be able to load large images).
    I also turned on tool tips when hovering with the stylus on the buttons.
    I also added a help button and added the beginnings of a help file.
    In my humble opinion (i have tried the majority of art related apps on Android - and ios for that matter) this is nowhere near release level. There are still a lot of bugs (filters mostly crashing the app) the interface is confusing and needs to be more proffessional looking (think Sketchbook pro), there seems to be no opacity settings. A zoom option is a must and preferably two finger zoom/rotate. I am not impressed with the quality, however i am impressed with what you are trying to cram into this

Overall a good start but needs a lot more work.

Edit. You say removed S-Pen library does that mean there is no pressure sensitive brushes?
    Re edit: an option to fullscreen edit would be handy,/ to move the menus out the way. Having the colour pallette always visable is also a must no not the colour pallette um the colours one is using showing, hope you understand?

Ps. Just trying to help this become the app i have been looking for

I hope you realize that this is also a one-person product from someone doing it on weekends.
    I am not trying to compete with large companies or teams. Maybe somebody will invest so i can work on it full time and hire some help or maybe just buy it and hire me.
    I will though continue to improve, i just want to get a version on the market (possible for tax purposes so i can write some expenses off on this years taxes). Plus i want to see the app get out to a lot of people. If i waited for it to be perfect, it'll never get out as i will never have time.

I never had pressure sensitive brushes even with the SPEN sdk but the Android 4.0 sdk has all of those capabilities built in so i will eventually add support. The paint tools were always primitive. It was the layers and collaging abilities that were the core of my focus.

My problem with two finger zoom/rotate is noticing the multi-touch and aborting the one finger process, especially if the second touch comes slightly after the first press (and aborting/undoing the paint operation that may have started). Two finger on the scroll pane might be easy to implement.

If you know what filters are crashing and when, let me know and i will work on them. Frankly i am too used to the program to be a good tester.

Anyways thanks for the feedback.

I sometimes take criticism personally but I realize that the program isnt professional level and wont be while i am the sole developer. But it is a labor of love and i want to see it get out there and get used. Then i can work on cleaning it up and adding more features.