Paypal Chargeback on a Swapp.com sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
So I sold a Galaxy S5 on swappa.com two months ago for $585.
I shipped the S5 via USPS Priority (with tracking number) to an address in Florida.
Low and behold, two months later, completely out of the blue, Paypal just subtracted $585 from my Paypal account, so now it's in the negative.
Seems the buyer initiated a "Unauthorized Payment Chargeback".
I've submitted my tracking # and Swappa.com sale ID to Paypal and they are "reviewing the claim". But some quick Googling says I'm probably about to lose $585 when Paypal deducts it from my checking account.

I called my Credit Union and they need form after form after form and a $30 fee to block PayPal and the form can't be submitted until AFTER Paypal takes the funds from my checking account. And then there is no guarantee it'll work?!?

And the Paypal website won't let me remove my checking account from my Paypal account. So if they decide against me, which it sounds like they might, then I'll be screwed.

Just a warning to you guys.
I wanted a quick sale and did not research the buyer before shipping the item. That was my bad.

theorioles33

Feb 15, 2011
I don't get it. Why was the charge reversed? Maybe it was a hi-jacked account that was used. That happened to me years ago. The money just magically vanished right out of my bank account. Nobody could tell me how or why. Had to figure it out for myself. Unreal.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I don't get it. Why was the charge reversed? Maybe it was a hi-jacked account that was used. That happened to me years ago. The money just magically vanished right out of my bank account. Nobody could tell me how or why. Had to figure it out for myself. Unreal.

Yeah, I guess.
What I don't get is why do WE get dinged for this.
It wasn't US who mishandled the buyers charge account.
So wtf. Paypal or Credit Card companies are the ones who should eat the charge.

raduque

I'm afraid you're going to have to just use this as a $585 lesson on why you should NEVER use Paypal for anything. I don't have a checking account OR a credit card linked to my PP account.

Edit: I thought Swappa was a broker, of sorts. Don't they get hold the funds till the buyer receives the phone?

Edit2: Call AT&T and Tmo and report the MEID as stolen?

Last edited:

colbur87

Feb 25, 2011
Oklahoma City
Honestly, i think paypal will rule in your favor. From personal experience of this happening to me on ebay; generally providing paypal with the proof of shipment is enough. Granted, it takes a couple weeks for them to get their stuff together, but just wanted to let you know.

Good luck

elaraj

Jul 20, 2011
So I sold a Galaxy S5 on swappa.com two months ago for $585.
I shipped the S5 via USPS Priority (with tracking number) to an address in Florida.
Low and behold, two months later, completely out of the blue, Paypal just subtracted $585 from my Paypal account, so now it's in the negative.
Seems the buyer initiated a "Unauthorized Payment Chargeback".
I've submitted my tracking # and Swappa.com sale ID to Paypal and they are "reviewing the claim". But some quick Googling says I'm probably about to lose $585 when Paypal deducts it from my checking account.

I called my Credit Union and they need form after form after form and a $30 fee to block PayPal and the form can't be submitted until AFTER Paypal takes the funds from my checking account. And then there is no guarantee it'll work?!?

And the Paypal website won't let me remove my checking account from my Paypal account. So if they decide against me, which it sounds like they might, then I'll be screwed.

Just a warning to you guys.
I wanted a quick sale and did not research the buyer before shipping the item. That was my bad.

hi

in my experience if your tracking number show the item was delivered for the address that confirmed on paypal for the buyer at least ( city, state and zipcode ) match then even chargeback will be end up in your favor . but if the address was unconfirmed on paypal then ya they could decided it against you .

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Hahahah... Yeah but he's likely sold it to some unsuspecting fool who doesn't deserve that. Funny idea though. ;/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Congratulations on the ruling. And just for that guy being a ****, and trying to scam you, I'd still report it as stolen. But that's just me.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Forgot about this thread!
    Yeah, they ruled in my favor after holding my account hostage for two weeks. Thanks guys.
    Good information that has run it's course. Closed.