[obsolete] downgrade from OTA 1.32.651.6

Search This thread

Razor1973

Jun 23, 2006
Florida
Sounds like it fails when it checks the rom. Make sure htc sync is installed on your pc then boot the phone, connect it and instead of charge only, select htc sync. Then, do the adb push stuff and try again.
And dont go to fastboot this time, just boot and wait and it should ask you whether to flash or not

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I was missing HTC Sync. In fact, I didn't even know what that was until someone pointed it out in another thread. Thanks!

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
Want to add my confirmation it is possible to downgrade!
I went from Stock EVO with OTA update straight to PC36IMG.zip without a single problem. Thanks again for taking the risk and experimenting!!

My1es

Oct 9, 2009
Skompton
I'd just like to confirm before doing this. I currently have .6 after the OTA. After completing the steps listed by the OP I will be downgraded to the Stock EVO with the SD card fix? And not have to worry about being locked out of root?

Thanks ahead!

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
I'd just like to confirm before doing this. I currently have .6 after the OTA. After completing the steps listed by the OP I will be downgraded to the Stock EVO with the SD card fix? And not have to worry about being locked out of root?

Thanks ahead!
if you want to feel adventurous, start with step 3 and instead of using the link in step 4 use the updated flipz ROM with the .6 software and then use the separate updated radio .05 . you'll still have root at the end.

otherwise follow the directions exactly and you'll be on software .1 with .04 radio with root. then apply flipz .6 ROM to patch /system and the .05 radio update.zip

hope that makes sense!

My1es

Oct 9, 2009
Skompton
if you want to feel adventurous, start with step 3 and instead of using the link in step 4 use the updated flipz ROM with the .6 software and then use the separate updated radio .05 . you'll still have root at the end.

otherwise follow the directions exactly and you'll be on software .1 with .04 radio with root. then apply flipz .6 ROM to patch /system and the .05 radio update.zip

hope that makes sense!
Yeah kind of makes sense. Why can I just skip the first two steps and just go straight to root? The flipz .6 is a stock rom with root for people who did the OTA? Just trying to get my head wrapped around all this so I don't do anything stupid.

I am feeling adventures and being familiar with rooting coming from my G1 I don't know why I'm being so timid. Does anyone have a step by step write up for the downgrade to root process?

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Yeah kind of makes sense. Why can I just skip the first two steps and just go straight to root? The flipz .6 is a stock rom with root for people who did the OTA? Just trying to get my head wrapped around all this so I don't do anything stupid.

I am feeling adventures and being familiar with rooting coming from my G1 I don't know why I'm being so timid. Does anyone have a step by step write up for the downgrade to root process?
i just did it last night but havent wrote a guide, it was very simple. i was on stock EVO with OTA. followed toast's directions linked to in step 3.
then go straight to flipz .6 ROM and .05 radio update.zip and you're set. latest updates with root!

i dont know why the first two steps are there. i can only speculate:
perhaps to put everybody on the exact same page before proceeding to help prevent any errors or mistakes? perhaps they were the best method known at the time it was posted? perhaps the OP found this method worked best for them...

My1es

Oct 9, 2009
Skompton
i just did it last night but havent wrote a guide, it was very simple. i was on stock EVO with OTA. followed toast's directions linked to in step 3.
then go straight to flipz .6 ROM and .05 radio update.zip and you're set. latest updates with root!

perhaps to put everybody on the exact same page before proceeding to help prevent any errors or mistakes? perhaps they were the best method known at the time it was posted? perhaps the OP found this method worked best for them...

Sounds good. Thanks for your help.

npace

Nov 7, 2008

It should probably be updated. I wrote this one just to show what I did. Because I didn't get the OTA, I manually flashed myself out of rooted .1 to stock .6 (step 1).
If you are already on .6, step 1 is completely redundant for you.

When it comes to step 2, I was not able to skip it and root via toast's method until i downgraded (step 2). If you can confirm that step 2 is not necessary, then we can go straight to root and forget about downgrading?

My1es

Oct 9, 2009
Skompton
So I got it into recovery mode once from shell after rooting. But once I rebooted the phone and attempted boot back into recovery mode to flash Flipz .6 ROM and the new radio I get the "!" over the phone with no recovery options. I have to pull the battery to get it to restart. Now check the about phone and it has gone back to .1 but I can't get it to boot into recovery mode. Also I thought maybe I should reload the .zip files but now I can't get the SD card to mount. I select Disk Drive but it doesn't auto start or recognize a disk drive.

Any suggestions? Did I get in over my head? Should I just follow this thred from step one and start from scratch?

Edit: The phone is now suggesting I format my SD card? I don't want to lose my back up and all my other stuff.

Last edited: