Miracast on the Nexus 7?

Search This thread

AraDreamer

Jul 23, 2012
Austin/Waco, Texas
plus.google.com
In articles released today, Nvidia said the Tegra 3 chipset will support miracast (an open streaming tech similar to DLNA) for mirroing/streaming to other devices/ monitors. Will the Nexus support this and would this be their workaround for forgoing the MHL/HDMI? Or would it only be on future models? -Ara

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using xda app-developers app

mfucci

Jul 11, 2012
In articles released today, Nvidia said the Tegra 3 chipset will support miracast (an open streaming tech similar to DLNA) for mirroing/streaming to other devices/ monitors. Will the Nexus support this and would this be their workaround for forgoing the MHL/HDMI? Or would it only be on future models? -Ara

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using xda app-developers app

I'm very curious about this too.

ckl_88

Jan 25, 2008
I've looked into this briefly and from what I gather, any device that supports WIFI direct should be able to do this. I think I read somewhere that the N7 has wifi direct. Miracast is only a standard. There are other non-standard devices out there that can also do the same thing, but requires changes to the core android files.

Search for xbounds on youtube and the internet. You will see some demos of it. it requires an hdmi dongle that has wifi on it that communicates with your device.

In any event, if the N7 doesn't support miracast, it will support xbounds via a custom ROM (if and when somebody decides to build a custom ROM with xbounds integrated). Then all that is required is the xbounds dongle. Unfortunately, there is not much information on xbounds and when it will be released.

Reactions: AraDreamer

AraDreamer

Jul 23, 2012
Austin/Waco, Texas
plus.google.com
Hopefully, we don't need to buy stuff, we just need to update our devices when miracast comes down. There's a list of compatible devices on the Wi-Fi Alliance website. -Ara

EDIT: here's a link to the tegra explanation of miracast, taken from an article on the issue. Yeah, a dangle may be involved depending on the setup. http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/tegra_white_papers/tegra-miracast-whitepaper-final.pdf

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
I've not found any hardware that you could plug into say an HTML Monitor that will work with this yet. I do think it will be coming available soon though.

akbar26

Apr 26, 2012
hope so

I reckon it will work with a Nexus 7. Hopefully the dongle isn't too expensive and my Nexus 7 will be my new PSone.

mfucci

Jul 11, 2012
Shouldn't need a dongle. Maybe a Raspberry Pi but everyone should have one of those anyway :) Search "Android Transporter" for more info.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TwistedRat

Oct 19, 2009
Nexus Q might get Miracast support

Nexus 7 and most Tegra 3 (also Galaxy S3) phones/tablets can get a fw upgrade to enable miracast (most that support WIFI Direct probably can have Miracast enabled).

Now that google is having another round of tinkering on the Nexus Q before release we might end up with Miracast support in it as well.
Personaly I think Miracast will be added out of the box and maybee even Google TV.

I only hope that it won't be possible to disable mirroring from inside an app using the API, if so I'm sure some streaming services will disable mirroring of the screen while using there apps lika HBO Go have done to Airplay :(

Last edited:

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
Shouldn't need a dongle. Maybe a Raspberry Pi but everyone should have one of those anyway :) Search "Android Transporter" for more info.
Using a Raspberry Pi would be like a dongle... I'd like to get my hands on one to play, currently, there is a 12 week delivery time on those as well and you most likely would want it in some sort of case for it as well.

While most likely a solution, not a real clean one for mass marketing. That will come though.

Now that google is having another round of tinkering on the Nexus Q before release we might end up with Miracast support in it as well.
Hopefully it does include support, but that is still a bit pricey and also not very portable.

Think of something you put in your briefcase, take out for a meeting, plug into the HDMI port of whatever display is in the room and play. So it needs to be portable, reasonably priced and easy to use out of the box without a lot of fiddling with it.

Last edited:

janshien

Mar 11, 2011
widi and Miracast adapters

I am thinking that these will do what we need on the display side. Now to enable it on the Nexus 7.

Netgear announces Push2TV WiDi adapter and three new NeoTV units

engadget. com/2012/09/20/netgear-push2tv-neotv/#continued

Using a Raspberry Pi would be like a dongle... I'd like to get my hands on one to play, currently, there is a 12 week delivery time on those as well and you most likely would want it in some sort of case for it as well.

While most likely a solution, not a real clean one for mass marketing. That will come though.

Hopefully it does include support, but that is still a bit pricey and also not very portable.

Think of something you put in your briefcase, take out for a meeting, plug into the HDMI port of whatever display is in the room and play. So it needs to be portable, reasonably priced and easy to use out of the box without a lot of fiddling with it.

kieso

Mar 18, 2009
Has anyone heard any updated news on miracast? I tried Google but all I found was old news. I'm really tired of waiting.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've looked into this briefly and from what I gather, any device that supports WIFI direct should be able to do this. I think I read somewhere that the N7 has wifi direct. Miracast is only a standard. There are other non-standard devices out there that can also do the same thing, but requires changes to the core android files.

Search for xbounds on youtube and the internet. You will see some demos of it. it requires an hdmi dongle that has wifi on it that communicates with your device.

In any event, if the N7 doesn't support miracast, it will support xbounds via a custom ROM (if and when somebody decides to build a custom ROM with xbounds integrated). Then all that is required is the xbounds dongle. Unfortunately, there is not much information on xbounds and when it will be released.