How to draw NinePatch images with Photoshop - .9.PNG

Search This thread

Jumba

Nov 16, 2008
Johannesburg
It also works if you put a 1px white border. Doesn't have to be transparent. This may cause issues though if you want to decompile the images again.

Simplest way is to increase your canvas size by 2px vertically and 2px horizontally. This should create a 1px transparent border all the way around. Then make your marks using the pencil tool at 1px size (100% flow + 100% fill) and #000000 colour. Make 100% sure it's at 1px size.

It's wise to keep the 9-patch info on its own layer.

Then, select the whole image (CTRL+A) > modify selection > contract by 1px > hit CTRL+SHIFT+I to select inverse. Then select each layer one by one (except the one with the 9-patch info) and hit the DEL button - just to make sure there's nothing in the border that shouldn't be there.

hth

Last edited:

djdaveoc

Sep 7, 2012
Sorry if this is a stupid or noob question but...
I'm new to Android development and need to make a .9.png file for my game splashscreen.
Can someone please give me an exact step-by-step on how to open the 9 patch tool?
I don't know what it means by opening it from a terminal.
I'm on a Windows 7 64-bit box using Eclipse etc.

Thanks,
David

Last edited:

TUN_SD

Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 21, 2011
here and there
tunsd.de
OnePlus 8T
Sorry if this is a stupid or newb question but...
I'm not to Android development and need to make a .9.png file for my game splashscreen.
Can someone please give me an exact step-by-step on how to open the 9 patch tool?
I don't know what it means by opening it from a terminal.
I'm on a Windows 7 64-bit box using Eclipse etc.

Thanks,
David

right click on the image, go to "open with..", than browse to your android-sdk folder -->9.patch tool.
now you should be able to open every png with right click, open with 9.patch tool

djdaveoc

Sep 7, 2012
right click on the image, go to "open with..", than browse to your android-sdk folder -->9.patch tool.
now you should be able to open every png with right click, open with 9.patch tool

I found the .bat file here:
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\tools
This is a new server and I had forgotten to show system folders and files in Windows folder options.

Last edited:

TUN_SD

Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 21, 2011
here and there
tunsd.de
OnePlus 8T
does anyone knows what the red boarder is for? it is from 4.2 source. can´t find any discription for it.

Attachments

• btn_default_pressed_holo_dark.9.png
    btn_default_pressed_holo_dark.9.png
    905 bytes · Views: 940

denley

Nov 27, 2012
Adelaide
Anyone know if it's possible to scale an image only by height? I don't need 9patch to scale the width.

Just leave the top border empty and it wont stretch horizontally (unless it has to)

For those asking about it, having more than one region in the border just means that more than one region of the image will stretch. If one region is twice the size (e.g. two pixels wide vs one pixel wide) then it will stretch twice as much.

HandyBesitzer

Jan 29, 2012
Köln
Hi,

i just tried this with an png file for an Theme pack. I use PSE.
i made my image with a 1px transparent for each border and filled 1px with black color #000000. Than save for web, png-8, ... but it doesn't work. Maybe you can have a look at my file and my options.

==EDIT==

i got it. i forgot to compile

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 102
  • htc_pin_asset_rest.9.png
    htc_pin_asset_rest.9.png
    829 bytes · Views: 609
Last edited:

Kevalvino

Jun 1, 2013
Yogyakarta
Actually the MAX is 2 dots, on left and top, anything more and Eclipse starts freaking out and won't compile at all. I used 2 dots because I saw it being used in official android source images for the pull down tray image. Figured if it works for them, it'll work for us.

Also as far as making a LINE, its fine but I'd stay away from full lines on top and left. You CAN get away with it, but it would mean that entire line area of the image will stretch.

Editing .9 png is just for stretching the image? or also can edit the entire image such as filling with another color?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you want draw a .9.png (NinePatch) image in Photoshop just make your image with a 1px transparent for each border and draw with a pencil 1px size black color #000000 the area you want to use for the content and the stretchable area.

Save it with "save for web" in png-8 or png-24 (if you use a lot of color)
    in the option check Transparency, matte none, metadata none.

you can check it with the draw9patch tool in the sdk.
    get more info about the NinePatch here: http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/draw9patch.html
    Nice job on a quick explaination of it, oddly enough I was just working with the draw9patch tool working on google's own images that they sort of messed up as well (you're not alone if you mess up on these..they're tricky) To show you what difference a small dot makes, here is an example:

fixthisandroid.png

I plan on submitting the fixed images to google's open source project. Basically their own .9.png file gets stretched out oddly when bigger.

Hopefully the above image shows you the difference the border makes.
    Ohhhhhh, THAT'S how it works!

Thank you, xenio2000. Awesome post :D
    Resizing 9.pngs doesnt work for me (shrinks or gets rid of the black boarder) so can you help me ?

Sent from my HTC Desire X

use these tutorial, should work

http://radleymarx.com/blog/simple-guide-to-9-patch/

also check xda thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=580351