Quick rooting question

Search This thread

ValdreZ

Sep 14, 2008
Garden City, MI
If i root using these directions, and dont flash a new recovery will it just be rooted so I can use SU (setCPU, root explorer, etc..) and still have the stock rom or is that not possible?? Thanks!!

1. Download this file — PC36IMG.zip — and copy it to the root of your SD card.
2. Turn off phone. Then power back on holding the power and volume button. **If the PC36IMG files was placed correctly and you successfully booted into the bootloader, you should see text appearing on the screen as the phone automatically checks said file.
3. At the prompt to install the image(s), select “Yes”.
4. Reboot
5. Delete or rename the PC36IMG file so that it won’t automatically try to install it again the next time you venture into bootloader land.

pseudoremora

Nov 28, 2009
If i root using these directions, and dont flash a new recovery will it just be rooted so I can use SU (setCPU, root explorer, etc..) and still have the stock rom or is that not possible?? Thanks!!
Yes. You will have root permissions/privileges to execute apps that need root permissions (SetCPU, etc) and you'll also still have a stock phone.

To install a custom recovery, you would need to download/install the evorecovery.zip file to achieve this. Personally, it would be in your best interest to install the recovery Toast/AmonRA have created... if you ever wanted to install a custom ROM, do a Nandroid backup, etc in the future then this would be the only way to go about doing that.

It's up to you, but for now... the above directions will allow you to achieve root access, without a custom recovery, while still keeping the phone as "stock".

If you want more info about root or installing the recovery, go HERE

ValdreZ

Sep 14, 2008
Garden City, MI
Ok any draw backs on just rooting it without the custom recovery or rom?

I do like the feel of the stock rom on there but just wish I had root permissions for certain apps.

pseudoremora

Nov 28, 2009
Ok any draw backs on just rooting it without the custom recovery or rom?

I do like the feel of the stock rom on there but just wish I had root permissions for certain apps.
The only drawbacks are that you wouldn't be able to make a Nandroid back up right away, which is usually an important thing to do. Plus, you don't get the added bonus of installing a recovery or installing a custom ROM, which at the moment is being able to install Android 2.2 -- a.k.a Froyo.

But, by installing the root exploit, you will/should be able to run apps that require root permissions.

Dave2582

Apr 22, 2010
Boston, MA
What's can you do with nandroid backups? What is it?

Creating a nandroid backup is simply taking an image of the entire phone at that moment in time. So if you were to flash a custom rom later on, you have the ability to reboot into recovery and restore the last nandroid you made for whatever reason (you screwed up, or didn't like it).

I don't believe that they have unlocked the nandroid part of recovery yet, so you may have to wait until a dev, or devs figure it out. You can still root and push the recovery image, but the nandroid part doesn't exist yet for this phone.

pseudoremora

Nov 28, 2009
What's can you do with nandroid backups? What is it?

I don't believe that they have unlocked the nandroid part of recovery yet, so you may have to wait until a dev, or devs figure it out. You can still root and push the recovery image, but the nandroid part doesn't exist yet for this phone.
If there is a recovery, there will be always be a Nandroid option.

From the above mentioned link I posted a while back (and I quote) from here:

"- at this point turn your attention to the phone and navigate to create a Nandriod Backup. you can now flash custom roms, write, and make changes to system."