[RECOVERY] Lenovo Thinkpad CWR Port

Search This thread

realyst2k

Feb 4, 2010
Incidentally, in case anyone else was initially as ignorant about Android innards as I am, /system/boot-from-recovery.p is an image of the original factory recovery partition. Apparently, this is common across many android platforms(found it in a Samsung thread). Good to know :)

So, now we have an image, now we image the restore partition :)

Just use dd to image the recovery partition with it, similar to how you replaced it with the non-ROW-workable-for-now CWR image

Code:
$ su
# dd if=/system/recovery-from-boot.p of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1

Also, the original install-recovery.sh is earlier in this thread somewhere. Worse case, open up a ROM image from lenovo.

Now reboot, tap Vol+ and make sure you see your recovery menu.

Reactions: stewarta

realyst2k

Feb 4, 2010
Going through the OTA zips between US and ROW, aside from the pack-in apps, this is, so far, the only glaring difference, which is sort of expected:

wmyip.jpg

Sadly, I lost my Linux box and haven't had a chance to build a new one and I don't imagine disk imaging with this file will not be fun on Windows so it may be a bit before I get a chance to.

Edit: the one on the left is the USA one. both are in patch/recovery

Edit: My ignorance of the Android backend shows itself again, as ".p" apparently is simply a "patch" file. So I suppose I should be looking at what it's actually patching.

Edit: In case it helps, here's the content of the ROW build.prop

Code:
# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=ThinkPadTablet_A310_02
ro.build.display.id=ThinkPadTablet_A310_02_0037_0074_ROW
ro.build.version.incremental=0037_0074_ROW
ro.build.version.sdk=12
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=3.1
ro.build.date=Tue Nov  8 15:28:32 CST 2011
ro.build.date.utc=1320737312
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=build
ro.build.host=build-desktop
ro.build.tags=release-keys
ro.product.model=ThinkPad Tablet
ro.product.brand=Lenovo
ro.product.name=ThinkPadTablet
ro.product.device=Indigo
ro.product.board=ventana
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=Lenovo
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=tegra
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=Indigo
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=ventana-user 3.1 ThinkPadTablet_A310_02 0037_0074_ROW release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=Lenovo/ThinkPadTablet/Indigo:3.1/ThinkPadTablet_A310_02/0037_0074_ROW:user/release-keys
ro.build.characteristics=tablet
ro.product.input.defaultpkg=com.nuance.flext9.input
# end build properties
ro.opengles.version = 131072
wifi.interface=wlan0
service.mtp.defult_lock=true
keyguard.no_require_sim=1

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED
ro.com.google.gmsversion=3.1_r2
ro.config.notification_sound=OnTheHunt.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-lenovo
dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=5m
dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=48m
dalvik.vm.heapsize=256m
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

Last edited:
Reactions: stewarta

stewarta

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
@realyst2k: Thanks for this. jcase pointed out that it was up to us to take this forward. I have a Fedora Core Linux system, but not knowledgeable enough do this I am afraid.

Reactions: realyst2k

realyst2k

Feb 4, 2010
I'll download a livedisc and try following the porting guide to see how far I go. i have some basic c experience and intermediate shell experience, but I don't know how far I'll get.

stewarta

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
@realyst2k: Yes, I am able to boot into stock recovery, so all is well there. I extracted the install-recovery.sh from the ROM downloaded from Lenovo for the ...0074_ROW. While I thought I renamed the original before attempting the ill-fated attempt to boot into CWR (using Root Explorer) I couldn't find it.
No matter now. Yes, I could see it was a patch file, but what is it patching (as you asked) and why? I suspect there is a 'generic' boot image and the patch is to specify the particular model.
If that is the case then the next question for me is can we 'patch' the cwr_ventana_2.img... again with what, and why comes to the fore.
You state that you need a disk image... is that so you can reimage the TPT if it goes belly-up in testing? Couldn't you use ADB and pull the system and mess about in there first? I suppose in the end it still comes down to a live test. Just thinking aloud really ...

realyst2k

Feb 4, 2010
It's patching android since it's an OTA update. That it's a patch isn't unexpected.

I doubt strongly they did anything that'd patch our CWR since the ROW update is actually a lower version than the USA one.

I'll follow the port directions. I've got a feeling that the kernel in jcase has in the source tree contains code from a newer version of the Lenovo android build which is causing a failure.

ROW is behind most other regions. We'll see how well the custom port goes. I'll let you know.

Learning a lot of this for the first time so I'm sure seasoned vets have been laughing at me through most of this thread :)

obscure.detour

Apr 20, 2010
Just like to add that I was successful in installing CWR. Unfortunately, when running a backup within CWR the tablet reboots. I don't have much on my tablet as I recently did a reset, but I only have a 4GB sdcard installed so I don't know if that could be a problem.

Information:

Model: 183822U/16GB
Build: 0075_US

Janis

Jul 26, 2006
Minneapolis, MN US
I don't want to be presumptuous, but wouldn't an Ubuntu boot CD work in place of a Linux machine for one-time shots like this? It's pokey, but with my very sketchy background with Linux, it seems like it would work in a pinch.

Jon2555

Jan 17, 2011
Belgrade
I think that problem is in partition layout from model to model or maybe from rom version to version. From users output for example system isn't on the same mount point like in jcase's source.

janjan

Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Aalborg
tweaksyourandroid.weebly.com
How to remove CWR and install the stock recovery again. Can some one tell me where to find the stock recovery and which steps to perform to obtain the stock recovery. Thanks
I have thinkpad 32GB 3G WE
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007
Here are new versions for the different Sizes:

16Gb:
http://everyrandom.com/files/download.php?file=264ventana_recovery.img

32Gb:
http://everyrandom.com/files/download.php?file=196ventana32_recovery.img

64Gb:
http://everyrandom.com/files/download.php?file=538ventana64_recovery.img

Credits go to Logxen for modifying and compiling (based on the builds jcase made).
Thanks to bohdans for webspace.

We also excluded the /data/media directory (Internal sdcard) so backups doesn't need so much space anymore.

P.S. there may still be bugs, i you find one, post as much information you can provide and your tpt model

P.P.S: As always: No warranties, no guarantees. Playing around with the recovery can brick your device.

Known Bugs:
- Doesn't work on ROW Roms
- Force reboots while backup on some devices

Last edited:

quyTam

May 26, 2011
Thank you vers much : logxen, you, bohdans, jcase,... for this recovery, just test it a little and seems to work great (TPT 16gb)

obscure.detour

Apr 20, 2010

16Gb:

32Gb:

64Gb:

Credits go to Logxen for modifying and compiling (based on the builds jcase made).

We also excluded the /data/media directory (Internal sdcard) so backups doesn't need so much space anymore.

P.S. there may still be bugs, i you find one, post as much information you can provide and your tpt model

P.P.S: As always: No warranties, no guarantees. Playing around with the recovery can brick your device.

Thank you Koshu, Logxen, jcase, bohdans, and of course Koush and all others who work on CWR!

Flashed and booted fine. Unfortunately I am still getting reboots when trying to do a backup. It backs up boot and recovery fine and gets about 1/3rd done with /system and reboots. I'm going to try a different sdcard and see if I get different results :)

redbaron

Jan 25, 2006
Tbilisi

16Gb:

32Gb:

64Gb:

Tried using instructions on first page (corrected name). Didn't worked, doesn't goes to recovery, tried also using ROM Manager. Maybe something is wrong with installation instructions.

18382GG 16 GB w/ 3G 2 GB SD card, A310_02_0037_0074_ROW

realyst2k

Feb 4, 2010
It's because you're ROW. US CWR images don't appear to work on ROW. I'm hoping to get a ROW port working soon(no guarantees, I'm quite new at this) but had some problems with my Linux VM I had to sort out first.

redbaron

Jan 25, 2006
Tbilisi
It's because you're ROW. US CWR images don't appear to work on ROW. I'm hoping to get a ROW port working soon(no guarantees, I'm quite new at this) but had some problems with my Linux VM I had to sort out first.

It wasn't mentioned that it wasn't for ROW. Thank you for information. Maybe I can help with something, I am good in Linux but not in programing.

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007

Well they are also working for WE Roms, i thinks its not because its a US or ROW version but because the WE Roms are older (If you assume that the Version number i.e. 0074 has anything to do with the "build" version). At least its working with WE (0076) and US (0075).

Would be interesting what differences are between the ROMs. The Partition sizes should be the same and i thinks its irrelevant if CWM and the ROM have the same Kernel.

P.S. btw the builds are with a Kernel from US 0075

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Thank you Koshu, Logxen, jcase, bohdans, and of course Koush and all others who work on CWR!

Flashed and booted fine. Unfortunately I am still getting reboots when trying to do a backup. It backs up boot and recovery fine and gets about 1/3rd done with /system and reboots. I'm going to try a different sdcard and see if I get different results :)

Which model and ROM Version do you have?

Last edited:
Reactions: obscure.detour

janjan

Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Aalborg
tweaksyourandroid.weebly.com
thank you for great job but it still not working. I just Flashed and booted in recovery fine. Unfortunately when I am trying to do a backup. It backs up boot and recovery fine and gets about 20 seconds or some thing, done with /system and reboots. I tried both 4 and 8 GB sdcard. My version is 32 GB ( build number ThinkPadTablet_A310_02_0037_0076_WE. Machine type and model 18282CG) thanks

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

The answer lies back a few pages in this thread.

Yes but still there is not any steps to perform. I download the stock package. I found these

EC
META-INF
patch
pia
recovery (here are two --->etc and recovery-from-boot.p and inside etc there is a script install-recovery.sh)
system
blob

now to optain the stock recovery do I just run the script or what. thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Photo by Logxen (aka not my trash!)
    t7Q7v.jpg

No warranties, no guarantees. If this ruins your device, your fault, not mine. Consider this a test build, backup important stuff manually to your PC for now (photos etc)

This requires an sdcard installed

[Image]
    http://download.cunninglogic.com/cwr_ventana_2.img
    39b5557cf3802d677e33cce76047ef60 *cwr_ventana_2.img

[Source]
    https://github.com/CunningLogic/android_device_lenovo_ventana

[Instructions]
    Code:
    adb push cwr_ventana_2.img /data/local/
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    echo "#!/system/bin/sh" > /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    dd if=/data/local/cwr_recovery_2.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1

[Credits]
    djrbliss - For rooting the thinkpad
    utkanos - walking me through the device config setup
    CM, Koush and everyone who has worked on CWR
    the CWM images are down does anyone have them and could please reuplaod them?

Here u go bud...and everybody else of course^^
    16Gb Version....
    lil backstory if u care to read...

i just got a barely used TPT and was in need as well...it has never been updated!!!!
    A Friend of mine got his TPT back then when it came out, i rooted it of course asap^^
    lucky me...coz he did not had a memory card for puttin CWM and stuff on...so i borrowed him one of mine...for some years of course :p
    som time in 2016 i demanded back MY friggin property!!!!....just kiddin^^...hehehe...

lookin at my new&shiny 4gb SDCard I do remember thinkin: "make an image b4 wipin"....turns out it was not so bad idea afterall...
    u´ll just never no if someone still does care for thiz pice of crap u just tossed out da window coz it frggin sucked:D

hav phun^^

16Gb:

32Gb:

64Gb:

Known Bugs:
    - Doesn't work on ROW Roms
    - Force reboots while backup on some devices
    I can compile ROW versions with my kernel. Can you tell me what steps you took to exclude /data/media(I'm quite new at this)?

Also, are your config files uploaded somewhere for the 32 and 64 gig models(I can generate only for 16GB at the moment)?

You have to edit the source files to force this behavior. Its in the file nandroid.c near line 111:

if (strcmp(backup_path, "/data") == 0 && volume_for_path("/sdcard") == NULL)

Erase the second part of the if-condition. Something like this:

if (strcmp(backup_path, "/data") == 0)
    Thanks for sharing this it worked great, except for the instructions I needed to use
    dd if=/data/local/cwr_ventana_2.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
    rather than
    dd if=/data/local/cwr_recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
    to match the name of your file.
    Thanks again for sharing, CWR seems to be running perfectly.
    Also for those looking for root the exploit has been posted here.