Problem installing custom recovery using Odin

Search This thread

kelvin00

Jul 1, 2014
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here and new to rooting devices. I recently just rooted my Samsung Galaxy S 4 SGH-1337 (At&t) with the new "TowelRoot" and then using Super SU to finish the root. I has a question when it came to installing the custom recovery Philz Touch. I have the 4 most recent versions of PT and using Odin v3.09 and v3.07 I am still unable to correctly install the recovery. When I try starting the process I get a "Leave CS" in the bottom left of the Odin window, and when I start the process fails? I've noticed when I go into download mode on my S 4 the phone tells me on the the official binary and official operating system. If I am rooted should that say something else? I have checked the Root Checker app and it says I am in fact rooted.

Other solutions I've already got advice and still unable:
- I'm using my out of box charging cable.
- I am pressing start after I ad the AP in Odin.
- The phone is in Download mode.

Can anyone help me out and assist me? This is super annoying and I would love to figure it out soon. Thank you in advance!

drock212

Aug 26, 2009
ORLANDO
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here and new to rooting devices. I recently just rooted my Samsung Galaxy S 4 SGH-1337 (At&t) with the new "TowelRoot" and then using Super SU to finish the root. I has a question when it came to installing the custom recovery Philz Touch. I have the 4 most recent versions of PT and using Odin v3.09 and v3.07 I am still unable to correctly install the recovery. When I try starting the process I get a "Leave CS" in the bottom left of the Odin window, and when I start the process fails? I've noticed when I go into download mode on my S 4 the phone tells me on the the official binary and official operating system. If I am rooted should that say something else? I have checked the Root Checker app and it says I am in fact rooted.

Can anyone help me out and assist me? This is super annoying and I would love to figure it out soon. Thank you in advance!

Since towel root worked in your phone I'm assuming you're on firmware nc1. This can not have a custom recovery installed. In fact you probably erased your stock recovery trying these other ones. I suggest using odin to flash nb1 then update back to nc1 and if you want a recovery yo install another rom (only touchwiz based roms) you'll to use safestrap. That is the only option at this time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: kelvin00

kelvin00

Jul 1, 2014
Since towel root worked in your phone I'm assuming you're on firmware nc1. This can not have a custom recovery installed. In fact you probably erased your stock recovery trying these other ones. I suggest using odin to flash nb1 then update back to nc1 and if you want a recovery yo install another rom (only touchwiz based roms) you'll to use safestrap. That is the only option at this time.

Thanks for the response. I am on firmware NC1. After posting I have read that there is a new bootlocker (?) that was pushed on the 4.4.2 update preventing people from actually installing custom recovery and other things. There is a workaround going to an older version to then root and get a custom recovery, but I definitely don't have the knowledge of what to do.

I'm not sure what you mean by me probably erasing my stock recovery? Are you saying if I try and restore my device it will not work?

drock212

Aug 26, 2009
ORLANDO
Thanks for the response. I am on firmware NC1. After posting I have read that there is a new bootlocker (?) that was pushed on the 4.4.2 update preventing people from actually installing custom recovery and other things. There is a workaround going to an older version to then root and get a custom recovery, but I definitely don't have the knowledge of what to do.

I'm not sure what you mean by me probably erasing my stock recovery? Are you saying if I try and restore my device it will not work?

When you tried to install the custom recovery it more than likely erased your stock recovery and the only way to get it back is to flash nb1. And going to an older version is no longer possible. Once you update and the bootloader is updated you're no longer able to revert to an older bootloader. Trying to do so could brick your phone

kelvin00

Jul 1, 2014
When you tried to install the custom recovery it more than likely erased your stock recovery and the only way to get it back is to flash nb1. And going to an older version is no longer possible. Once you update and the bootloader is updated you're no longer able to revert to an older bootloader. Trying to do so could brick your phone

Again, thank you for responding to me. I understand what you are saying now about me possibly deleting my stock recovery. I didn't go very far i the process and I'm fairly sure I didn't for the simple reason that it did not work. I can definitely be wrong and you are probably more right on this situation than I am.

Thank you for the heads up with the older version not possibly anymore.

Do you know any confirmed ways of rooting and flashing a custom recovery since 4.4.2? If not I guess I'm just going to wait a bit for a confirmed method.

drock212

Aug 26, 2009
ORLANDO
Again, thank you for responding to me. I understand what you are saying now about me possibly deleting my stock recovery. I didn't go very far i the process and I'm fairly sure I didn't for the simple reason that it did not work. I can definitely be wrong and you are probably more right on this situation than I am.

Do you know any confirmed ways of rooting and flashing a custom recovery since 4.4.2? If not I guess I'm just going to wait a bit for a confirmed method.

Before proceeding check to make sure your stock recovery is still intact (power phone off, wait 10 seconds, power on while holding volume up/home button/power if you boot into recovery you're fine and can proceed with towel root (just Google it it'll come up right away) download and install the apk on your phone and it'll root your phone for you. Next go here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2680868

Closest thing to custom recovery that will let you only flash touchwiz based roms.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Before proceeding check to make sure your stock recovery is still intact (power phone off, wait 10 seconds, power on while holding volume up/home button/power if you boot into recovery you're fine and can proceed with towel root (just Google it it'll come up right away) download and install the apk on your phone and it'll root your phone for you. Next go here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2680868

Closest thing to custom recovery that will let you only flash touchwiz based roms.