guide: how to have unlocked fastboot without flashing

Search This thread

valentinoh

Jul 25, 2010
san antonio
You can actually unlock the radio with the stock locked bootloader still in place (derpunlock.sbf flashing no longer needed):

scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG_derpunlock$ fastboot flash rdl.bin RDL3_unlocked.smg
sending 'rdl.bin' (3072 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.193s]
writing 'rdl.bin'...
OKAY [ 0.000s]
finished. total time: 0.193s
scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG_derpunlock$ fastboot oem unlock
(bootloader) Unlocking your device can permanently VOID your warranty.
(bootloader) This process cannot be reversed. If you wish to proceed,
(bootloader) reissue the unlock OEM command containing the unique ID
(bootloader) of your device: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
OKAY [ 0.006s]
finished. total time: 0.006s
scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG_derpunlock$ fastboot oem unlock XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
(bootloader) Device is already unlocked
OKAY [ 0.003s]
finished. total time: 0.003s
scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG_derpunlock$

Has any one tried these commands? And if so do you have to put

" scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG_derpunlock$"

Before everything?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

cwill0303

Nov 12, 2010
IL
You do not need the whole path, that is the path that he had his files. If you are in the folder with the unlock files, your command would look like this...

SMG_derpunlock$ fastboot oem unlock

Unless you are using Linux, then you will have to include your whole path.

skaman9876

Jul 4, 2010
Could you please confirm/deny 4g working with this method? It would be greatly appreciated.

I recently discovered this, and I thought it would be of some benefit to those who are wanting to unlock, modify partitions, etc without the need to flash derpunlock.sbf or modify your photon in any way. What you need to do this:
1) fastboot for Windows or Linux
2) unlocked RDL3 (ramloader) which I am providing

The process is very simple, reboot your Motorola Photon, and hold the volume down button and power button. You will see "fastboot" on the screen, now press volume up. Connect your phone to your computer, and issue the following command which I discovered:

scottgl@scottgl-A105:~$ fastboot flash rdl.bin RDL3_unlocked.smg
OKAY [ 0.193s]
writing 'rdl.bin'...
OKAY [ 0.000s]

This will load the unlocked ramloader (unlocked will be displayed at the top even if your phone is locked) which is normally only loaded into ram when flashing an SBF! Amazing, I know. Now you can do all kinds of stuff and you've made no modifications, just issue a "fastboot reboot" and nothing has been modified. Now you are able to erase boot, recovery, oem unlock, etc. Here is an example after you have executed the above. This is just me restoring my default boot and recovery partitions which you can't do from your locked bootloader:

scottgl@scottgl-A105:~$ fastboot erase recovery
erasing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.739s]
finished. total time: 0.739s
scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG$ fastboot flash recovery CG58_0x00000120.smg sending 'recovery' (8192 KB)...
OKAY [ 8.760s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.013s]
finished. total time: 9.773s
scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG$ fastboot erase boot
erasing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.761s]
finished. total time: 0.761s
scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG$ fastboot flash boot CG59_0x00000130.smg
sending 'boot' (8192 KB)...
OKAY [ 8.800s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.697s]
finished. total time: 9.497s

peetr_

Oct 28, 2010
The method probably did not work and he is most probably using Epic 4G now. ;)
But you're right. At least he could write something here. :)

n@veen

Mar 15, 2012
Unlocking bootloader on photon 4g 2.3.5

Can I use this procedure to unlock bootloader on photon 4g running 2.3.5?

pradeeppk

Feb 8, 2012
KERALA
There a possibility to update motorola photon 4g android 2.3.5 to ics

No official update after 2.3.5. If you are planning to buy this phone, my suggestion is negative. If you already bought this and its android version is 2.3.5 you should not get any unofficial rom. If your phone is 2.3.4 some custom ROMs including jb for it.
Its hardware is good. My previous phone is moto defy, it is now running smoothly with 4.4.4 custom ROM with half hardware facility compared to photon.
Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

MAOSABO

Nov 19, 2008
thanks for your answer, the truth is if you buy and 2.3.5 seemed like a good machine .. there is a chance to download it and to place a custom 2.3.4 rom ...
if not so .. can be customized with ics somehow?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently discovered this, and I thought it would be of some benefit to those who are wanting to unlock, modify partitions, etc without the need to flash derpunlock.sbf or modify your photon in any way. What you need to do this:
    1) fastboot for Windows or Linux
    2) unlocked RDL3 (ramloader) which I am providing

The process is very simple, reboot your Motorola Photon, and hold the volume down button and power button. You will see "fastboot" on the screen, now press volume up. Connect your phone to your computer, and issue the following command which I discovered:

scottgl@scottgl-A105:~$ fastboot flash rdl.bin RDL3_unlocked.smg
    OKAY [ 0.193s]
    writing 'rdl.bin'...
    OKAY [ 0.000s]

This will load the unlocked ramloader (unlocked will be displayed at the top even if your phone is locked) which is normally only loaded into ram when flashing an SBF! Amazing, I know. Now you can do all kinds of stuff and you've made no modifications, just issue a "fastboot reboot" and nothing has been modified. Now you are able to erase boot, recovery, oem unlock, etc. Here is an example after you have executed the above. This is just me restoring my default boot and recovery partitions which you can't do from your locked bootloader:

scottgl@scottgl-A105:~$ fastboot erase recovery
    erasing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [ 0.739s]
    finished. total time: 0.739s
    scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG$ fastboot flash recovery CG58_0x00000120.smg sending 'recovery' (8192 KB)...
    OKAY [ 8.760s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [ 1.013s]
    finished. total time: 9.773s
    scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG$ fastboot erase boot
    erasing 'boot'...
    OKAY [ 0.761s]
    finished. total time: 0.761s
    scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG$ fastboot flash boot CG59_0x00000130.smg
    sending 'boot' (8192 KB)...
    OKAY [ 8.800s]
    writing 'boot'...
    OKAY [ 0.697s]
    finished. total time: 9.497s
    what would be the process coming from locked stock _6, would i just flash clock work mod, flash rom.zip then OP's inputs?

The process of loading the unlocked ramloader is the same regardless of your firmware, even if the bootloader is 'locked'. The ramloader is just that, its written to ram, and so when the phone is reset the code is cleared out of memory. This means to unlock your radio, you don't have to flash anything to your ram, flashing rdl.bin basically just loads the ramloader to executable memory, then jumps to it. I'm still working on figuring out how to use this to chain load a custom recovery.
    Confirmed! I got rid of the aweful 2.3.5 electrify bootloader. Just did this:

scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG_BP011UP$ fastboot flash boot CG59_0x00000130.smg
    sending 'boot' (3294 KB)...
    OKAY [ 0.206s]
    writing 'boot'...
    OKAY [ 0.734s]
    finished. total time: 0.940s
    You can actually unlock the radio with the stock locked bootloader still in place (derpunlock.sbf flashing no longer needed):

scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG_derpunlock$ fastboot flash rdl.bin RDL3_unlocked.smg
    OKAY [ 0.193s]
    writing 'rdl.bin'...
    OKAY [ 0.000s]
    scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG_derpunlock$ fastboot oem unlock
    (bootloader) Unlocking your device can permanently VOID your warranty.
    (bootloader) This process cannot be reversed. If you wish to proceed,
    (bootloader) reissue the unlock OEM command containing the unique ID
    (bootloader) of your device: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    OKAY [ 0.006s]
    finished. total time: 0.006s
    scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG_derpunlock$ fastboot oem unlock XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    (bootloader) Device is already unlocked
    OKAY [ 0.003s]
    finished. total time: 0.003s
    scottgl@scottgl-A105:~/Desktop/SMG_derpunlock$

Looks like the link is dead. However I think I found a way to get it myself. Flashed the 2.3.4 system to my phone and it's downloading the update right now.

Edit: Ill know if it's the right update in probably about an hour. It is an extremely slow download, they must be severely limiting connections to phones outside of the states.