Project OtterX: New Direction

Search This thread

BobJayJr

Jan 20, 2014
I've been away from SlimKat too long to hazard a guess (though I've been thinking about giving it a retry). Just haven't got around to it. Though, I kinda remember battery life as being pretty good already.

Been generally disappointed with LP on my Amazon devices (OtterX and Jem - can't get there on Apollo) due to laggy/quirky performance and battery life. Much work still to be done on LP.

Sent from my Amazon OtterX using XDA Free mobile app

nighthawkca

Apr 3, 2012
I've recently returned to the KitKat ROM ref'd above and am pleased with the performance. @pfederighi's enhancements (hope he continues with these) give both smooth performance and good battery life (even overclock'd). Remember KitKat was developed with these smaller processors in mind. Don't forget to tweak the animation scales.

I think I'll give it a try too. Which gapps did you use?

pfederighi

Nov 22, 2012
Everett
I've recently returned to the KitKat ROM ref'd above and am pleased with the performance. @pfederighi's enhancements (hope he continues with these)

Thank you. And... Yes, I am still working on it. I'm trying some new stuff; so far compiling is failing and I'm having a hard time figuring out why. I did manage to find some coding errors (bugs) and correct them. I don't think they affected normal operation, but fewer bugs is better. If I ever figure it out the compiler issues, I'll be starting a new thread. Hopefully this will happen soon.

Reactions: dokie80

akilmaf

Oct 26, 2011
Istanbul
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2470253
Would this ROM work with OtterX partition? Because as you know I have OtterX partition now and I want to flash this ROM following your advice :) BTW, all I want is a smooth ROM. I don't want shiny , animated cool ROM. If I can use my Kindle & Apps without any lag problem then it will be my best ROM :)

Yeah, to make it short, would this ROM work with OtterX partition or do I need to extra instructions for it?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2470253
Would this ROM work with OtterX partition? Because as you know I have OtterX partition now and I want to flash this ROM following your advice :) BTW, all I want is a smooth ROM. I don't want shiny , animated cool ROM. If I can use my Kindle & Apps without any lag problem then it will be my best ROM :)

Yeah, to make it short, would this ROM work with OtterX partition or do I need to extra instructions for it?
no, you would need to go back to amazon partitions, otter/blaze twrp, and fff

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

dokie80

May 23, 2008
jakarta
If you want kitkat, Try otterx's kitkat first. If you still dont like it, then change back to otter's.
Since hellkat based on cm, try pfederighi's cm11. Or slimkat for aosp based.

Reactions: akilmaf

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Reactions: akilmaf

melizeche

Nov 3, 2010
dead links

The links for TWRP are broken because goo.im is dead, has someone has another mirror for the files?

shabuboy

Mar 14, 2014
Google Pixel 4a 5G
What is the advantage of OtterX vs Otter? And I do not mean the list on the first page but actual everyday usage.
It seems OtterX has ROMs for 5.x while Otter only for 4.x.
I have a Kindle Fire 1st generation and not planning on going to Fire OS ever. Currently it has CM11, 4.4.4 and TWRP 2.6.3.1.

Just wondering if I should bust a move! :)

Reactions: t3chwizard

t3chwizard

Jul 20, 2013
Asus Transformer TF300T
LG Optimus G Pro
What is the advantage of OtterX vs Otter? And I do not mean the list on the first page but actual everyday usage.
It seems OtterX has ROMs for 5.x while Otter only for 4.x.
I have a Kindle Fire 1st generation and not planning on going to Fire OS ever. Currently it has CM11, 4.4.4 and TWRP 2.6.3.1.

Just wondering if I should bust a move! :)

First off you are better off buying a new tablet over using this, but using the OtterX partition setup allows for more space (basically a combined data and cache partition I think). Also it allows you to install more recent ROMs etc... right now. I basically am just using the Fire as a TVGuide now. I don't even install Gapps as they slow it down.

shabuboy

Mar 14, 2014
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Oh yeah, I do have a 5th generation as well. I mainly use this to watch online content and browse the internet. Thinking of donating it to my nephew though but chances are he might need a device with at least 5.x due to apps/games. But you make a good point with the ROMs statement.

Reactions: t3chwizard

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** WARNING. WORK-IN-PROCESS DISCUSSION. NO ETAS. NO DONATIONS. NO PROMISES. :)**

PROJECT OTTER X DISCUSSION

It's a major change to the device. If you choose to update, it won't be easy to flash back the stock files and use your device as a Kindle again. The device name will actually change to "otterx", so that the 2 sets of files can be kept clearly distinct as well as provide a safety net for those who accidentally download the wrong thing and try to flash it.

GOALS OF THIS PROJECT: Make everyone happy of course.
    • [DONE] Update the bootloader (u-boot). And I don't mean "tweaks" to the bootloader, I mean: the current code was based on a 2011 release. The newer bootloader will be based on a 2014 release. Changes to be included in the update:
      • [DONE] A much better text driven menu system laid on-top of the initial boot graphic (as opposed to the image-only menus currently)
      • [DONE] Cleaned up device initialization / charging loop for extreme low battery situations
      • [DONE] Support devtree binary loading (native support for newer kernels)
      • [DONE] Support for decompessing kernels in new formats
      • [DONE] Native "reboot recovery" support no more hacky idme/sticky values
      • [DONE] Device "handling" changes like a longer button press to fully power on the device. Avoids "accidental" power ons while traveling.
      • [DONE--NEED NEW OTTERX ROM] Built in support for "charger" mode. IE: plug the device in while it's off and it boots into the native Android charger screen, vs a full boot of Android.
      • [DONE] I'm guessing a new initial power-on logo as well (it says "KINDLE" -- I lied.. but you can change it!)
    • [DONE] Partition layout change to support 5 to 6gb of combined app / sdcard storage.
    • [DONE] Rebuild a new TWRP to support combined data/storage
    • [DONE] The process for changing the partition layout is be handled in the bootloader menu. Users will need to pull everything off the internal storage prior to performing the change as it will wipe system, cache and userdata partitions out during the process.
    • [DONE] Kernel and userspace now support F2FS format for userdata. This is a new filesystem specifically designed for devices which use EMMC style storage.
    • Kernel update. A lot has happened to the OMAP kernel world over the last year. Much of the code needed to run newer kernels has been merged into the mainline. However, much has not. So I'm riding the line between: 1) finishing the 3.4 kernel using the new bootloader and partition layout, with an option for upgrading later to an even newer one. Drawback: I don't have a 512MB based ducati binary to process HD codecs for the 3.4 kernel. Or, 2) starting a newer kernel to go hand in hand with the other portions of this update (it would be 3.8 or newer). Why upgrade the kernel? Besides the typical "bigger better faster" mentality, I want some specific solutions to current problems: our graphics layer has been outdated for 1-2 versions of Android, and we still use a TI supplied ducati binary for HD codecs. If we update to a 3.8+ kernel, I can then attempt to build a custom ducati binary which would work better with our 512MB memory requirements and leave more free space to the OS.

Of course, the REAL end goal: to keep this device current and usable using today and future OS updates. And yes, maybe even get OTG and the MIC functions working.
    I went ahead and posted an ALPHA build of the new bootloader for those folks who are comfortable knowing that the only recovery from a bad bootloader is to pull the back cover off and setup usbboot w/ a shorted pin on the motherboard (and probably have to be running Linux to do it).

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2671619

This will now be the "Discussion" thread linked to from that.
    And of course the obligatory YouTube vid.

Here's a play by play:
    1. I start off by long pressing the power to turn on the device (new feature)
    2. I then cycle through the main menu using power button presses (same as old)
    3. On the 2nd pass, I use a power button "long press" to select the "Advanced Menu" (hard to see in the video)
    4. The next menu shows several new options like the Serial #, MAC addr etc. and has a "<-- BACK" item at the top
    5. I play with that menu for a bit and then long-press my way back out of it to the main menu
    6. Then I select "RECOVERY" by long-pressing that.
    7. So recovery boots up and then I shutdown.
    8. Here I long press the power again to boot up, and then enter a fastboot command on my PC so that it triggers the new fastboot screen which I think is better than sliced bread. It shows you the command responses right on the screen, so you get a really nice feedback from fastboot.

Anyway enjoy,

Small update as I work on the new bootloader.

Some of the new screens.

Image #1: I really like the new ultra simple bootscreen of the HDX's so I thought I'd start there... tho I may still change "kindle fire" to something else.
    Image #2: Is the low battery charging screen
    Image #3: Is a new screen similar to what the KFireHD 8.9" has for anytime you enter fastboot mode.
    (Text responses from fastboot are shown on the fastboot screen)

Once I get the menu system up and running, I'll try and put some shots of that up as well.
    Thought I'd drop this off in case folks were still following progress..

Couple quick shots of the new bootmenu.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk