[Q] Not sure which custom ROM to go with

Search This thread

jwshields

May 27, 2013
Seattle
jwshields.net
Hi all,

I've been digging around this subforum and the unbranded M8 forum, I'm trying to figure out which custom ROM I want to go with but can't decide- they all have really neat features which I like.
I have an HTC One M8 Verizon, running an official/dev bootloader 1.55.605.2, unlocked bootloader, S-OFF and rooted, stock Android 4.4.2 Sense 6.0

I'm considering InsertCoin, but am not sure if it's compatible with my current setup, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2727300
Also considering VenomOne, but again, not sure about the bootloader version, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2705292

Any ideas or advice? Switching my bootloader is not something I really want to do at the moment, but I could if needed. The reason why I'd rather not switch it is because I have a bootloader which is signed by HTC & has full adb root/su

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Since you accepted the OTA before you rooted and are on the latest build number you can run both of those fine.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

jwshields

May 27, 2013
Seattle
jwshields.net
Since you accepted the OTA before you rooted and are on the latest build number you can run both of those fine.

Awesome. thanks!

Either will work fine with your setup. I keep trying different AOSP roms but keep coming back to Viper. Still too many bugs yet for me to use as a daily driver.
I'm aching for aosp. Like you said too many bugs. Clean ROM is treating me well though.

Great to hear- thanks for the input! I'll most likely being trying ViperOne out then, are there any huge differences between the two?

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Awesome. thanks!

Great to hear- thanks for the input! I'll most likely being trying ViperOne out then, are there any huge differences between the two?

Viper is known to be the king of customization. Everything can be changed and I mean everything. I've heard very nice things about insert coin too however. Its really up to you! Make a backup, and give em both a shot! You may also want to consider nV ROM I've heard nice things about that too. I myself am content on CleanROM as I said until aosp is more straightened out.

Reactions: jwshields

jwshields

May 27, 2013
Seattle
jwshields.net
Awesome! Thank you, I'll look into all of these-

Quick question before I flash my stuff, is it possible to install ViperOne without changing my boot image? I'm looking inside the viper zip and there's a boot image there.

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
Try the newest GPE. I have been running it for over a day and that is the longest I have been off Viper. A few cosmetic issues but been very solid and is nice and light. About as close to the pure Google experience as you can get.

Oh yea, and it's the first 4.4.3 rom out for the M8 I believe.

Shamestick

Oct 21, 2012
I was on cleanrom and skyfall for a while using sensetoolbox to xustomize and was happy for a while but after I tried viper out I love it, so much to change and play with its great (I do love customization though) and running with faux kernel it has been superb

davidmatt34

Oct 16, 2010
Hi all,

I've been digging around this subforum and the unbranded M8 forum, I'm trying to figure out which custom ROM I want to go with but can't decide- they all have really neat features which I like.
I have an HTC One M8 Verizon, running an official/dev bootloader 1.55.605.2, unlocked bootloader, S-OFF and rooted, stock Android 4.4.2 Sense 6.0

I'm considering InsertCoin, but am not sure if it's compatible with my current setup, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2727300
Also considering VenomOne, but again, not sure about the bootloader version, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2705292

Any ideas or advice? Switching my bootloader is not something I really want to do at the moment, but I could if needed. The reason why I'd rather not switch it is because I have a bootloader which is signed by HTC & has full adb root/su

I like the Skyfall but always come back to Viper for the exchange mod. If they would add that to Skyfall I would stay there.

xs11e

Oct 5, 2010
Phoenix
Why not try 'em all?

When you install a custom ROM and configure it to suit you with all your apps installed backup your apps, etc. and then reboot to recovery, backup your ROM and wipe and install the next ROM.

It'll take you a few days but you'll find the one you like and be able to switch anytime by rebooting into recovery and restoring the backup of the ROM you want.

FWIW, I was running CyanogenMod last night but had a problem connecting to the free WiFi in the restaurant so I rebooted to recovery, did a backup of CM, deleted old backup of CM and restored my Clean Rom back up to see if it would connect, it did and now I'm on Clean until CM gets a few more updates to fix WiFi, it took only a few minutes to switch.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Either will work fine with your setup. I keep trying different AOSP roms but keep coming back to Viper. Still too many bugs yet for me to use as a daily driver.

I'm aching for aosp. Like you said too many bugs. Clean ROM is treating me well though.

Awesome. thanks!

Viper is known to be the king of customization. Everything can be changed and I mean everything. I've heard very nice things about insert coin too however. Its really up to you! Make a backup, and give em both a shot! You may also want to consider nV ROM I've heard nice things about that too. I myself am content on CleanROM as I said until aosp is more straightened out.