[Q] erased cache, need help with ....

Search This thread

godzilla61

Jul 16, 2013
Kansas City
Well as the title says, while installing twrp I erased cache. Now recovery loops, so how do I rebuild my cache? Does anyone know? I'm rooted, S-off, running stock KK up to date.

Last edited:

godzilla61

Jul 16, 2013
Kansas City
Re flash the stock kitkat update. Clearing your cache shouldn't have broke recovery or the rom. You either wiped something you shouldn't have and didn't tell us or somethings broken with your copy of TWRP

Some folks execute a "fastboot erase cache" after flashing a recovery. Do not do that! Instead, either "fastboot format cache" or leave it alone. The fastboot erase cache command just blows the file system away and leaves you with an unmountable /cache partition until it's formatted (wipe will do that if you end up with errors about 'cannot mount /cache').

The second quote is from the dev, now on to my question, how do I rebuild my cache partition? There has to be a way without loosing everything....

Last edited:

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
The second quote is from the dev, now on to my question, how do I rebuild my cache partition? There has to be a way without loosing everything....

rebuild your cache partition? or your cache filesystem? two totally different things.

if your disk is wrecked (partitions no longer valid) you're likely into RUU.

If your disk is fine (partitions are there, just no file system), TWRP should boot fine, it'll just piss and moan about /cache not being there. If it keeps restarting to the curtain (the TWRP graphic while booting) no big deal -- adb should still be up. If it does come up, you can 'wipe cache' and it'll rebuild the file system for you. Either that or use fastboot to format it.

Either way -- if you actually placed interesting stuff on /cache (why would you do that?), it's gone. The cache partition is 99% useless to users, so it would surprise me if you put stuff there.

Here's what I'd do:

1) Boot TWRP (get my 2.7.1.1 version, fastboot flash it, start it up);

2) plug the phone into usb:

3) adb shell

4) mount

copy/paste what that last command says and let's see what's really up. If TWRP won't boot, you have bigger problems than you lead us to believe.

godzilla61

Jul 16, 2013
Kansas City
Ok, more info: phone works. no recovery it just keeps showing the curtain over and over...... So now ADB....can't do a thing with it. Can't fastboot flash anything.....error: cannot load 'openrecovery-m7wls-2.7.1.1-06-05-2014' so what now?
shell@m7wls:/ $ mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,seclabel,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,seclabel,relatime 0 0
selinuxfs /sys/fs/selinux selinuxfs rw,relatime 0 0
/sys/kernel/debug /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=750,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
none /dev/timer_group cgroup rw,relatime,timer_slack 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p37 /system ext4 ro,seclabel,noatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p39 /data ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,discard,noauto
_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p38 /cache ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered
0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 /devlog ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p30 /carrier ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,grpid,data=
ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p33 /firmware/mdm vfat ro,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow
_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=lower,errors=remount-ro
0 0
tmpfs /data/qcks tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,size=20480k,mode=750,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /data/efs tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,size=20480k,mode=750,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p16 /firmware/q6 vfat ro,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_
utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=lower,errors=remount-ro
0 0
tmpfs /data/secure/data tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/fuse /mnt/shell/emulated fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1023,group_i
d=1023,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
DxDrmServerIpc /data/DxDrm/fuse fuse.DxDrmServerIpc rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,use
r_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other 0 0
shell@m7wls:/ $

Last edited:

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
Ok, more info: phone works. no recovery it just keeps showing the curtain over and over...... So now ADB....can't do a thing with it. Can't fastboot flash anything.....error: cannot load 'openrecovery-m7wls-2.7.1.1-06-05-2014' so what now?

I have no idea why you think /cache is your problem:

"/dev/block/mmcblk0p38 /cache ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered 0 0"

It mounted fine.

As for flashing TWRP, you have to give fastboot an actual file:

"error: cannot load 'openrecovery-m7wls-2.7.1.1-06-05-2014"

The file is (assuming you didn't rename it) "openrecovery-m7wls-2.7.1.1-06-05-2014.img" -- there's an extension on the end.

If you did rename it, then you didn't place the file where you have fastboot. Either give the *full path* to the .img file, or move (or copy) it to the directory in which fastboot exists.

Reactions: godzilla61

godzilla61

Jul 16, 2013
Kansas City
Thanks for taking the time to help! This gave me a reason to update my tool box for android. It's funny I never had to use a file ext. before when installing. It was that simple! So twrp is up and running again, I wonder why it was looping.....for another time perhaps. Thanks once again tdhite!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have no idea why you think /cache is your problem:

"/dev/block/mmcblk0p38 /cache ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered 0 0"

It mounted fine.

As for flashing TWRP, you have to give fastboot an actual file:

"error: cannot load 'openrecovery-m7wls-2.7.1.1-06-05-2014"

The file is (assuming you didn't rename it) "openrecovery-m7wls-2.7.1.1-06-05-2014.img" -- there's an extension on the end.

If you did rename it, then you didn't place the file where you have fastboot. Either give the *full path* to the .img file, or move (or copy) it to the directory in which fastboot exists.