[S-Off] Facepalm S-Off for HTC One XL

Search This thread

thedailyl3af

Apr 16, 2012
The Moon ;)
Ok, I think sometimes on cm there's another option you need to select. Go back into developer settings, there might be a root access option which is set to apps only, try setting that to apps and adb, i dunno whether that'll help though. Otherwise, do you have htc sync installed? Try uninstalling that, but leave the drivers.

Sent from my Evita

You have too be on a sense based Rom for this method to work.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 04:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 AM ----------

i have the correct drivers installed. when i try to update them it just says its up to date. can i just do this thru fastboot because when i went into fastboot it showed the device.

^^^

Sent from my Evita

cables2590

Jun 23, 2012
Elgin
Im stuck on the last command for the past five min... My phone keeps turning off and on for the past 5 min and my command prompt is stuck on C:\Androidsdk\platform-tools>adb shell su -c "/data/local/tmp/soffbin3"
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *

Ok now it finally finished that last command but when I put my phone back on bootloader it still says S-on... It seemed like all the commands went through properly though so Im not sure... Please help thanx

Now after looking at the instruction and what came up on my command prompt I found something that looked a little different... Instead of giving me the error FAILED (remote: 92 supercid! please flush image again immediately)” after flashing the onex zip file I get C:\Androidsdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash zip PJ8312000-OneX.zip
sending 'zip' (36064 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.657s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) adopting the signature contained in this image...
(bootloader) zip header checking...
(bootloader) zip info parsing..
FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail)
finished. total time: 2.920s
So Im not sure if this means I did something wrong or if even if this is the problem...

Last edited:

thedailyl3af

Apr 16, 2012
The Moon ;)
Im stuck on the last command for the past five min... My phone keeps turning off and on for the past 5 min and my command prompt is stuck on C:\Androidsdk\platform-tools>adb shell su -c "/data/local/tmp/soffbin3"
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *

Ok now it finally finished that last command but when I put my phone back on bootloader it still says S-on... It seemed like all the commands went through properly though so Im not sure... Please help thanx

Now after looking at the instruction and what came up on my command prompt I found something that looked a little different... Instead of giving me the error FAILED (remote: 92 supercid! please flush image again immediately)” after flashing the onex zip file I get C:\Androidsdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash zip PJ8312000-OneX.zip
sending 'zip' (36064 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.657s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) adopting the signature contained in this image...
(bootloader) zip header checking...
(bootloader) zip info parsing..
finished. total time: 2.920s
So Im not sure if this means I did something wrong or if even if this is the problem...

Error 99 again lol look through this forum more closely and you'll find your solution. (Pages back and some)

Sent from my Evita

mentalityx

Jun 27, 2010
Jville, FL
Samsung Galaxy S20
For some reason I am just not getting this. I have been searching and reading the past 3 days and still have not come across a solution. I have unlocked the bootloader, Viper 3.2.7 installed, SU installed, and rooted. I have updated my HTC drivers, google drivers, SDK platform tool installed and device manager reads my HOX.
I follow the guide and I still get the error 99, Too many links. I do a CID check and its all 1s. For myself Im out of options now and asking for a just a bit of help. Thanks

pinoy724

May 12, 2010
For some reason I am just not getting this. I have been searching and reading the past 3 days and still have not come across a solution. I have unlocked the bootloader, Viper 3.2.7 installed, SU installed, and rooted. I have updated my HTC drivers, google drivers, SDK platform tool installed and device manager reads my HOX.
I follow the guide and I still get the error 99, Too many links. I do a CID check and its all 1s. For myself Im out of options now and asking for a just a bit of help. Thanks

Between steps 3 and 4 do this command.

fastboot oem writecid11111111

After that let phone shut down completley. And let it restart.
Then continue from step 4.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Between steps 3 and 4 do this command.

fastboot oem writecid11111111

After that let phone shut down completley. And let it restart.
Then continue from step 4.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

What will that achieve? He already has SuperCID.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Look on page 17, there's a solution to your problem posted by ChongoDroid. Just to be clear, you're not the first person who had this problem, and if you searched you would have found the answer. Please search in future.

Sent from my Evita

Mistro

Sep 2, 2008
I'm also getting the FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail) error. This is what I've tried so far:

- Updating to 3.18 with both AT&T and Cingular RUUs. I get the 131 error (vendor id - probably because I'm on TELUS). This was tried with the bootloader both locked and unlocked.

- Trying to SuperCID (I have a telus device so I can get a code, but tried this anyways). I tried the instructions in the link, but get a "FAILED" when trying to shell run pwn. I've tried a few different sources for that file and all don't work. I don't really need this since I have a telus device and can unlock normally, but thought i'd try this anyways.

- Tried fastboot oem writecid 11111111 before step 4. I get "FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))" and then the device hangs until a reboot. Again, don't really need to do this, but wanted to rule it out.

- Tried the steps posted earlier in this thread (ChongoDroid) about installing Venom XL (Tried both the version mentioned in the post and the latest). Followed to a T and no dice either. Still get 99.

Also tried various combinations of orders of the above. I'm out of ideas :(

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm also getting the FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail) error. This is what I've tried so far:

- Updating to 3.18 with both AT&T and Cingular RUUs. I get the 131 error (vendor id - probably because I'm on TELUS). This was tried with the bootloader both locked and unlocked.

- Trying to SuperCID (I have a telus device so I can get a code, but tried this anyways). I tried the instructions in the link, but get a "FAILED" when trying to shell run pwn. I've tried a few different sources for that file and all don't work. I don't really need this since I have a telus device and can unlock normally, but thought i'd try this anyways.

- Tried fastboot oem writecid 11111111 before step 4. I get "FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))" and then the device hangs until a reboot. Again, don't really need to do this, but wanted to rule it out.

- Tried the steps posted earlier in this thread (ChongoDroid) about installing Venom XL (Tried both the version mentioned in the post and the latest). Followed to a T and no dice either. Still get 99.

Also tried various combinations of orders of the above. I'm out of ideas :(

Ok there's absolutely no point in trying to do the s-off method because it clearly states you need to have SuperCID to do that. I don't know why you tried that when you know you don't have SuperCID. So, first off you need to get SuperCID.

Sent from my Evita

Mistro

Sep 2, 2008
Ok there's absolutely no point in trying to do the s-off method because it clearly states you need to have SuperCID to do that. I don't know why you tried that when you know you don't have SuperCID. So, first off you need to get SuperCID.

Sent from my Evita

There are a few others in this thread that are not on AT&T and have confirmed that they have done this without SuperCID (Since those not on AT&T can unlock normally via HTCDev - Which I have done).

But ignoring that detail for a second, like I mentioned in my post, I did also try the SuperCID method (changing to 111...1). But like I mentioned I always get an error when executing pwn. Searching yielded that certain uploads of pwn had some issues. I've tried at least 6 different "good" versions of it and checked the checksums of all. Still have the same issue. I have also tried using a hex editor like mentioned in some threads, but that has not yielded any results either.

I usually do not post for help on these forums since 99% of the time, there is someone else that has had the same issue. Unfortunately I'm at that point where I have exhausted my search-fu.

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I don't think unlocking with or without SuperCID has anything to do with s-off. That's specific to unlocking the bootloader.

As far as I know, if you unlocked through HTCdev without SuperCID, you still need it to accomplish s-off. It's a clearly stated pre-requisite. But hey, I could be wrong.

Sent from my Evita

Reactions: exad

Mistro

Sep 2, 2008
I don't think unlocking with or without SuperCID has anything to do with s-off. That's specific to unlocking the bootloader.

As far as I know, if you unlocked through HTCdev without SuperCID, you still need it to accomplish s-off. It's a clearly stated pre-requisite. But hey, I could be wrong.

Sent from my Evita

Thanks, I guess I'll go to go off on a tangent and see if I can figure out this pwn error thing when I try to SuperCID first then. I don't want to clutter up this thread with q's unrelated to s-off.

kotton666

Jul 4, 2010
I kept getting the error 99 until I stopped htc sync from running (it's a pointless annoying program anyhow IMHO)

I simply removed the exe file from the HTC sync folder in program files and started the whole process again. As soon as I did that and followed each step from the start it worked first time.

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: mc_becker56

tfngwena

Feb 28, 2011
Having troubles

Cant figure out what I'm doing wrong with this. I've double and tripple checked everything and the requirements. CID is correct, rooted and bootloader unlocked.

Some device details in the attached screenshot and this is what happened in fastboot and adb. (i'm on a mac). Is there something different about my device that needs a different approach ?

Code:
unknown:eek:neXRoot tim$ ./fastboot-mac getvar cid
cid: 11111111
unknown:eek:neXRoot tim$ ./fastboot-mac oem rebootRUU
... INFOStart Verify: 3
OKAY
unknown:eek:neXRoot tim$ ./fastboot-mac flash zip PJ8312000-OneX.zip
sending 'zip' (36064 KB)... OKAY
writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...
INFOzip header checking...
INFOzip info parsing...
unknown:eek:neXRoot tim$ ./fastboot-mac oem boot
... INFOBoot/Recovery signature checking...
INFOBoot/Recovery signature checking...
INFOsetup_tag addr=0x80400100 cmdline add=0xC02F50C4
INFOTAG:Ramdisk OK
INFOTAG:skuid 0x2FD0B
INFOTAG:hero panel = 0x4940047
INFOTAG:engineerid = 0x2
INFOTAG: PS ID = 0x0
INFOTAG: Gyro ID = 0x1
INFODevice CID is super CID
INFOCID is super CID
INFOBackup CID is empty
INFOsetting->cid::11111111
INFOserial number: HT28YW301667
INFOcommand line length =736
INFOactive commandline: poweron_status=1 reset_status=0 board_el
INFOite.disable_uart3=0 diag.enabled=0 board_elite.debug_uart=0 
INFOuserdata_sel=0 androidboot.emmc=true androidboot.pagesize=20
INFO48 skuid=0 ddt=20 ats=0  androidboot.lb=1 td.sf=1 td.td=1 td
INFO.ofs=328 td.prd=1 td.dly=0 td.tmo=300 hlog.ofs=628 un.ofs=69
INFO4 imc_online_log=0  androidboot.efuse_info=FFSL androidboot.
INFObaseband=0.23a.32.09.29 androidboot.cid=11111111 androidboot
INFO.devicerev=0 androidboot.batt_poweron=good_battery androidbo
INFOot.carrier=ALL andro
INFOaARM_Partion[0].name=misc
INFOaARM_Partion[1].name=recovery
INFOaARM_Partion[2].name=boot
INFOaARM_Partion[3].name=system
INFOaARM_Partion[4].name=local
INFOaARM_Partion[5].name=cache
INFOaARM_Partion[6].name=userdata
INFOaARM_Partion[7].name=devlog
INFOaARM_Partion[8].name=pdata
INFOaARM_Partion[9].name=fat
INFOaARM_Partion[A].name=extra
INFOaARM_Partion[B].name=reserve
INFOaARM_Partion[C].name=radio
INFOaARM_Partion[D].name=adsp
INFOaARM_Partion[E].name=dsps
INFOaARM_Partion[F].name=wcnss
INFOaARM_Partion[10].name=radio_config
INFOaARM_Partion[11].name=modem_st1
INFOaARM_Partion[12].name=modem_st2
INFOaARM_Partion[13].name=reserve
INFOpartition number=20
INFOValid partition num=20
INFOsetting_get_bootmode() = 9 
INFOram size = 0 
INFOTZ_HTC_SVC_SET_DDR_MPU ret = 0
INFOsmem 90005000 (phy 90005000): TZ_HTC_SVC_UPDATE_SMEM ret = 0
INFOTZ_HTC_SVC_LOG_OPERATOR ret = 0
INFOTZ_HTC_SVC_ENC ret = 0
INFOTZ_HTC_SVC_DISABLE ret = 474079232 (0x1C41E000)
INFOStart Verify: 3
INFOjump_to_kernel: machine_id(3766), tags_addr(0x80400100), ker
INFOnel_addr(0x80408000)
INFO-------------------hboot boot time:45523 msec
ERROR: usb_read failed with status e00002ed
FAILED (status read failed (No such file or directory))
unknown:eek:neXRoot tim$ ./adb-mac push soffbin3 /data/local/tmp/
641 KB/s (4751 bytes in 0.007s)
unknown:eek:neXRoot tim$ ./adb-mac shell chmod 744 /data/local/tmp/soffbin3
unknown:eek:neXRoot tim$ ./adb-mac shell su -c "/data/local/tmp/soffbin3"
unknown:eek:neXRoot tim$ ./adb-mac reboot bootloader
unknown:eek:neXRoot tim$

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 300

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal

needs to be error 92. Simulate battery pull by pressing and holding power on the phone until it turns off, then try again. May take several tries.

Reactions: tfngwena

tfngwena

Feb 28, 2011

needs to be error 92. Simulate battery pull by pressing and holding power on the phone until it turns off, then try again. May take several tries.

Thank you ! Now have s-off !! :good:

It was the wrong error code (99 instead of 92) and also whilst in adb I was running the commands all wrong. For anyone else on a mac using terminal to do all this, you must first enter shell before running shell commands. i.e. step 7 looks more like this

Code:
./adb-mac push soffbin3 /data/local/tmp/
./adb-mac shell

then

Code:
# chmod 744 /data/local/tmp/soffbin3
# su -c "/data/local/tmp/soffbin3"

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNswkPGYtLc

note: updated 2/20 @ 9:20 EST, better ICS compatibility.

Welcome to Facepalm S-Off for the HTC One XL.

Credits and terms:

Exploit by beaups. Full guide, testing, and concept by jcase and beaups. Thanks to dsb9938 and dr_drache for support and testing. Thanks also to all of the regulars at teamandirc.

Both beaups and jcase will collect the applicable active bounties. Further donations are greatly appreciated and can be sent to:

beaups - Donate to beaups
    jcase - Donate to jcase
    dsb9938 - Donate to dsb9938
    dr_drache - Donate to dr_drache

You can also come by irc for support or just to say thanks: #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm

While this process shouldn’t be too risky, bricks can happen. None of us will be accountable. If you are worried, don’t do it.

This is a pretty simple method, however, you will need to have a working adb and fastboot environment. This method will work on any operating system that supports adb and fastboot. You should understand how to use a terminal window in your O/S. If you don’t understand adb and fastboot, you probably don’t need S-off.

Lastly, the work herein should not be stolen, repackaged, one clicked, bat’d, etc. soffbin3 is not GPL and may not be reused, integrated into other work, reposted, or redistributed without our permission.

For this to work, you must be rooted and have superCID (unlock/custom recovery is optional), see the threads below for help and information regarding obtaining superCID, unlock, root, etc. Note these threads are provided for convenience only. Please look for support for them in each respective thread if you need it, do NOT clutter this thread with support requests regarding obtaining superCID and/or root! If you try this process without superCID, it will not work, and you may have issues!:

HTC One XL: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1952038 (2.2)

Once you have confirmed you have SuperCID, get started (read it through first so you understand it all):

1.) Download patcher and unzip it in your working directory:
    soffbin3.zip soffbin3.zip Mirror

2.) Download the zip below

OneX.zip = MD5: 99a8eced1010543e12cbd4e4e8f9638f, Mirror

3.)
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    (wait for bootloader)

4.)
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    (wait for black HTC Screen)

5.)
    Code:
    fastboot flash zip PJ8312000-OneX.zip
    After a while, You should see the following error “FAILED (remote: 92 supercid! please flush image again immediately)”

6.) Immediately issue the following command:

Code:
    fastboot oem boot

You may see some errors, just wait for the device to boot into Android (only now, you should be booted into Android with no eMMC write protection of any kind active).

7.) Issue the following 3 commands to update the security partition with S-off flags (one command at a time!):

Code:
    adb push soffbin3 /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell chmod 744 /data/local/tmp/soffbin3
    adb shell su -c "/data/local/tmp/soffbin3"

(wait for a few seconds)

8.)
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

9.) You should see what you are looking for!

If you need help or just care to say thanks, join us on IRC: #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm

Enjoy.
    Fix for error 99, that doesn't involve flashing roms hoping it solves the problem:

fastboot oem writecid 11111111
    power down completely, go to fastboot
    continue from the fastboot oem rebootRUU command

thans attn1 and jcase for the help
    Ok folks thanks to c5satelite and other helpful folks at S OFF PARTY AND IRC we figured out how to fix this whole "error 99" shenanigans.

Step 1. Download the latest stockish ROM (I used Viper 3.2.3)

Step 2. Boot into bootloader and fastboot flash the kernel.. then reboot back into recovery

Step 3. Wipe /system and factory reset in TWRP

Step 4. Install rom in TWRP

Step 5. For *Viper Only* Don't wipe in Aroma, and uncheck reboot at the end.

Step 6. Reboot into bootloader from recovery (Don't boot into the ROM)

Step 7. Follow the instructions in the OP to a T ... read reread.. go get some coffee.. and try again.. hopefully you see Error 92 and not 99

This worked for me with ViperROM on hboot 2.14

Thank you to all the folks involved you guys are rockstars from Mars! :highfive:
    For those with PJ8310000 Model IDs, do it anyway. That zip works regardless of One X/XL Model ID.
    I tried it and am now S-Off'd. My Model ID is PJ8310000.

Also, thanks so much to those involved!!
    we will add more hoxl model id's and zips shortly