[DISCONTINUED] Apollo Gapps ROM v1.3

Search This thread

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks man, ROM working as expected, new widget picker is great! If you can make system administrators working, that would be great! Anyway, take your time and have some beers on me (or whatewer you drinking these days). Donated.

I'll take a look at the system administrators settings and let you know what I find.

Reactions: jeryll

chowtom

Jul 15, 2007
Just a stupid question:
Does it still need to use Android Firewall for prevent Amazon force update the Kindle OS?

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
I'll add google maps to the list of issues, don't know if that's a possibility but will take a look.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

gutts10

Jan 6, 2012
Is there a way to install this rom with out a backup? When I try to install it from Fresh I can't get passed the language screen. So I do as that link says in the op and install the rom and then back up but I have many problems that I think would be alleviated with a fresh start.

Also, how did u change the width of the stock keyboard. I ask BC I'd like to change the width of the swift key keyboard. Thanks!

Last edited:

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Is there a way to install this rom with out a backup? When I try to install it from Fresh I can't get passed the language screen. So I do as that link says in the op and install the rom and then back up but I have many problems that I think would be alleviated with a fresh start.

Also, how did u change the width of the stock keyboard. I ask BC I'd like to change the width of the swift key keyboard. Thanks!

You need to use a backup of your stock /data partition and for the moment definitely have to install following the instructions hightlighted on post #1, if you have problems with Safestrap follow the link shown on the 4th bullet point in post #1.

If you still have problems I will try to help.

For the keyboard I am working with 4.2.2 JDQ39 of the aosp source code. I modified the source code and rebuilt the keyboard app.

Last edited:

gutts10

Jan 6, 2012
You need to use a backup of your stock /data partition and for the moment definitely have to install following the instructions hightlighted on post #1, if you have problems with Safestrap follow the link shown on the 4th bullet point in post #1.

If that if you still have problems I will try to help.

For the keyboard I am working with 4.2.2 JDQ39 of the aosp source code. I modified the source code and rebuilt the keyboard app.

Thanks for your swift reply. I'll try a backup of a stock Rom with no applications or anything installed on it and see if that works.

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks man, ROM working as expected, new widget picker is great! If you can make system administrators working, that would be great! Anyway, take your time and have some beers on me (or whatewer you drinking these days). Donated.

I had a look at the system administrators settings, it seems the reason it's failing is there are function(s) that are called in the aosp settings app that are not available in amazon's runtime. This is very difficult to work around not having the source code for amazon's libraries.

In parallel to Apollo Gapps I have been working on building a completely AOSP ROM from source which should fix these issues. Will keep everyone posted when things start to progress a bit more.

Last edited:

plasticarmyman

Apr 13, 2011
Long Beach
sucessfully rolled back and flashed this....

thank you for this ROM..finally my HDX is a full Android tablet :D
I liked it before, now i effing love it.

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
Lenovo P11
Realme GT
In parallel to Apollo Gapps I have been working on building a completely AOSP ROM from source which should fix these issues. Will keep everyone posted when things start to progress a bit more.

Well, I rather have a clean AOSP ROM on my kindle too, and I can live pretty well with Apollo Gaps 1.2 for now, so thank you again for everything you did so far. Will wait patiently for any further development here...

icedtrip

Apr 18, 2014

This is what I want for Thor :) Looking forward to seeing how well it comes out for Apollo.

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
I had a look at the system administrators settings, it seems the reason it's failing is there are function(s) that are called in the aosp settings app that are not available in amazon's runtime. This is very difficult to work around not having the source code for amazon's libraries.

I know on the G2 (Snapdragon 800 just like this) they have kernel dev's and ROM dev's that grab drivers and libraries from the Nexus 5 and have them working perfectly well on the G2. Perhaps the same can be done here since the chipset is the same one as well?

Reactions: ggow

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
I know on the G2 (Snapdragon 800 just like this) they have kernel dev's and ROM dev's that grab drivers and libraries from the Nexus 5 and have them working perfectly well on the G2. Perhaps the same can be done here since the chipset is the same one as well?

That's a good idea, I'll take a look into that...

icedtrip

Apr 18, 2014

That's a good idea, I'll take a look into that...

I believe @Cpasjuste used the Nexus 5 as his base for the aosp-4.2.2-thor-0 ROM, but ran into issues with video and audio playback. His thor-1 ROM I believe fixed these issues, but caused many other issues making it unusable. That's when he switched attention to his Thor Gapps ROM. I preferred the AOSP ROM, but without video/audio, it made my HDX a pointless device. Hopefully you will have more luck.

Reactions: ggow

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
I believe @Cpasjuste used the Nexus 5 as his base for the aosp-4.2.2-thor-0 ROM, but ran into issues with video and audio playback. His thor-1 ROM I believe fixed these issues, but caused many other issues making it unusable. That's when he switched attention to his Thor Gapps ROM. I preferred the AOSP ROM, but without video/audio, it made my HDX a pointless device. Hopefully you will have more luck.

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. Across the web I have found lots of msm8974 resources... So I will start putting the puzzle together.

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
I think the main problem was that no other snapdragon 800 devices share the same (old) android version as us (4.2.2) so its hard to get binary/modules working on our kernel.

Envoyé de mon KFTHWI en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: Hashcode

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Apollo Gapps Version 1.3

Hi,

This is a custom rom for the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9” that is very close to being AOSP. All amazon services have been removed.

Features:

• All amazon apps removed
    • All amazon background services removed (including OTA update)
    • Google services added (play store, gmail, gallery...)
    • AOSP launcher and apps
    • Rooted

Bugs/Todo:
    • Rear video camera not working
    • Device administrators force closes upon selection
    • Rendering of google maps

Installation:
    • Install/update SafeStrap
    Create a rom slot
    • Flash/restore stock rom DATA to rom slot
    • Flash apollo-gapps-rom-v1.2 if you are on 14.3.1.0 or apollo-gapps-rom-v1.3 if you are on 14.3.2.4.
    For working Kindle Reader, install from the link below and set Play Store App to not auto-update it.

IMPORTANT: Please be aware of the following:
    • I have only tested apollo-gapps-rom-v1.3 on 14.3.2.4.
    • If you are on a version earlier than 14.3.2.4 then apollo-gapps may/may not work.
    • Do NOT update to apollo-gapps-rom-v1.3 if you are on 14.3.1.0

Download:

Latest
    apollo-gapps-rom-v1.3.zip

Previous Versions
    apollo-gapps-rom-v1.2.zip
    apollo-gapps-rom-v1.1.zip

Kindle Reader App
    Amazon Kindle_4.2.0.54.apk

Changelog:
    • Version 1.3
    - Based on 14.3.2.4
    - Stock Keyboard now has swype functionality
    - Changed device name from Nexus 7 back to KFAPWI

• Version 1.2
    - Front and Rear Snapshot Cameras now working.
    - Front Video Camera now working.
    - Updated Widget Picker.
    - Updated WiFi Driver.
    - Fix for Dropbox.

• Version 1.1 - Initial Release

Source:
    - Kernel Source: Kindle HDX stock kernel, build number 1314.3.2.4

Credits:
    • Cpasjuste
    • Everyone, for your support
    Quick update on the AOSP ROM I'm building from source...

Good news, the build of 4.2.2 is now booting successfully. I have managed to create a separate gapps package.

Although building from source has cleaned up a lot of the issues from the Apollo Gapps 1.2. There are now numerous fixes required to make it stable enough for release so will keep you posted.
    I'm glad to hear that the ROM is still further developed. What would be new features compared to the latestet released version?

It will be a completely free of any amazon customisations (ie Pure AOSP 4.2.2 like Nexus devices).

It was only today that the ROM has booted up successfully but, since my last post, I've got WIFI and sound working. Got a lot of testing to do now.

Full details will be available upon release.
    Full AOSP 4.2.2

Have been working away quietly in the background on a full aosp build from source. Have made loads of progress since last update.

I now have the device going through full bootup, with full GPU acceleration enabled. Bluetooth is working, but WIFI is not... Need to also debug audio too.

This is based on the 14.3.1.0 stock kernel. I looked at the changes between this kernel and the 14.3.2.4 release and there were no significant improvements made between them. The only significant update was the GPU driver had some extra code added which is the cause of the blank screen when trying to run apollo gapps 1.2 with amazon's latest update.
    Update

I am working on Apollo Gapps 1.3. It will be based on 14.3.2.4.

I should be able to get it released sometime in the coming week.

The only new feature in the ROM will be an aosp swype keyboard.

After the release of the ROM I will make a flashable .zip file for the swype keyboard. Users of Apollo Gapps 1.2 can use this to obtain the swype feature without having to upgrade the entire system.

This flashable zip should also work with Thor Gapps ROM too.
    @Cpasjuste - If it's ok with you I can send you a copy of the swype update to test when it's ready?