Get an Evo 3D or Galaxy S II?

Search This thread

curiousGeorge

Feb 17, 2008
Saint Paul, MN
Well I guess I'll quote the whole run on. didn't know what to condense. But resolution is not king, in fact it lies third over saturation and accuracy in determining picture quality. And while SAMOLED can be overdone, if I'm not mistaken, Samsung has included a calibration utility to make the screen more accurate and natural being able to adjust color temp and individual brightness. Though the reviews have pretty much said the colors are vibrant without being overdone with the newer plus screen.

Also, from a few [qualitative, personal, subjective reviews of unrelated devices from sensationalist, unscientific pop-culture pseudo-geek blogs]

Nope, but it's embarrassing you have the gall to use the expression "in fact" to again rehash the opinionated party line. First of all, resolution IS an important measure of accuracy by very definition, unless you mean something like "subjective color quality" (by convention, screen calibrations are actually defined according to LCD-based conventions), and in that case the jury's certainly out -- if there can be a "jury" at all in the qualitative case. Saturation is always adjustable and highly qualitative. Qualitative quotes spewing the party line like "color temperature" and nonsense of the like don't cut it (much like the embarrassing trend in the early 2000's to label certain audio compression schemes as "warmer" or "less bodied" than others even if they're all scientifically indiscernible from the original signal!). The SGS (original) has a third party app that does something similar with the "calibration," but it could never quite pull off a perfectly accurate balance. Whenever you raise one of the thresholds, it affected the color representation of the others subtly, and the result was always somehow skewed toward a specific subset of hues.

Other quotes from naive reviewers saying the screen "doesn't appear pixelated" certainly don't take away from the simple fact that the resolution and aspect ratio of a qHD screen lead to a significantly more detailed viewing experience. It's rare for a screen to "appear pixelated" on casual view, but the increased detail and pixel density (not to mention lack of silly letterboxing and having the videos actually take up the whole screen without sacrifice) is more than noticeable -- and the higher the resolution, the easier on your eyes, even if it's not conscious. The eye tends to perceive discrepancies such as jaggies, pixelation, and aliasing all the way down to the absolute threshold of human vision and attempts to correct for them (and the attendant "blur" or lack of clarity) by constantly refocusing the eye. This leads to eye strain.

Regardless, you prove my point that sensationalist (no pun intended) tech blogs stress the qualitative, not the factual. These blogs are composed of a bunch of guys who get together and tell you what they "feel" about a certain device, replete with brand loyalty bias and unrepresentative 'tests', which is why it is precisely the source of the rubbish "SAMOLED >>> LCD" claims in the first place.

Also, each device can implement the same screen 'technology' differently. The HD2 has a better screen than the G2 in terms of color accuracy (and certainly more than the Galaxy S 1's blue tint, pixelation/blur/colorwarping) and even outdoor visibility. And it wasn't even a SUPER lcd. The Sensation probably has a different screen than the Evo 3D despite shared "technology" in a similar sense. It isn't contoured like the Sensation, doesn't have a 3D layer, and the few "hands on" views qualitatively asses the screen as being quite "vivid" indeed. Even so, does that make it "better" in any way whatsoever?

Quantitatively, given what we have to go on so far, it wins. Qualitatively, the jury is out -- but given SAMOLED's track record, it's not safe to knock the color accuracy of LCD just yet -- oversaturation be hung for its deceitful popular sentiment. Again, the same conclusion is drawn; namely, that of inconclusiveness with statistical bias toward the only factual victor: the S-LCD technology itself. Implementation of course will play a crucial role in both cases, and the Evo 3D has yet to be reviewed enough (in an unbiased scientific fashion) to declare it the sure winner in the "color accuracy" department like it already is in resolution, pixel density, aspect ratio, and 3D capability.

Also, "run-on" doesn't mean quite what you think it does. It might also behoove you to look into the placebo effect and popular sentiment bias before reiterating the same things.

Last edited:

mattfmartin

Mar 25, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Jesus George, I have to take a nap after reading that. That almost gave me a mild stroke. As Arnold would say "its not a tumor" J/K bro. You were most definitely right though:p

dbpaddler

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
Yes, including this one. Especially when someone's opinions differ from organizations such as the ISF. Bottom line...resolution is not king. Anatomy lesson, while interesting, is , well just that and nothing more. His opinion of the samoled+ is based purely off of its predecessor, nothing more. And while all SLCD is not created equal, the sensation as a reference is better than theory based off of previous tech. And of course the bias associated with what forum we are in. Not to say either won't be fine phones and sell very well, because they will. But harping on the res as the end all just doesn't cut it. Plus adding in the extra layers to the screen (such as the 3d one) is an unknown quantity in how it'll affect overall IQ, especially 2d content which will be the majority of viewing for most

And while 3d is a gimmick now and one for the marketers, even if it has potential, with one year contracts, I don't need to buy potential.
Thank you...all websites are completely opinion and preference based. Most are even bias :(

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

treckin

Aug 20, 2008
In terms of the screen, samoled used a pentile matrix and had a blue tint due to weak blue diode bias. (Wikipedia will tell you about amoled/samoled). Effective resolution was 392x653. Also used 300% of the power of an LCD on white pages (web sites) and such, despite Sammy's 'unequivocal' ad campaign. Colors simply appear oversaturated -- the only color that is definitively better is black -- and that's just because the screen shuts them off.

So yay for oversaturation and "infinite contrast ratio"? Hm.

Samoled+ just allows more power in ("brighter") and replaces the inaccurate Pentile nonsense with a normal LCD-like RGB strip.

The Evo 3D will have a screen that is SLCD, not normal LCD. It will have all the benefits of traditional LCD with the added benefit of a decent aspect ratio (no more letterboxing on HD content, meaning no more downsizing to fit the screen or cutting off part of the image to "stretch" it). In terms of resolution, a SAMOLED (not "plus") WVGA (really more like 653x392) screen would render a 720p video natively with proper aspect ratio (and nothing cut off) at 653x367 effective resolution with letterboxing. A qHD screen would use every pixel of its 960x540. That's 518,400 pixels devoted to showing your movie in non-tinted, correctly-saturated accuracy. The SAMOLED would give you under 240,000 effective pixels in dubious color "accuracy." The qHD display would give you ALMOST 2.2x THE DETAIL OF THE SAMOLED WVGA SCREEN without aliasing, tint issues, letterboxing, or other concerns, allowing full use of the screen's physical size, area and resolution. Of course, compared to a WVGA LCD/SAMOLED+ (note the plus, which finally puts amoled back in line with LCD subpixel resolution), you'll get real quantitative 800x480 resolution, but only 800x450 (or commonly 800x448) of which can necessarily be used to display most video without cropping off entire portions of the video (and as such letterboxing is obviously included). In comparison to these existing (s)LCD screens and the new SAMOLED+ (note the "plus"), the qHD screen would still deliver a whopping 44-45% more actual screen resolution for all 16:9 video (360p, 480p/DVD, 720p, 1080p, or any proper scaling thereof) than either WVGA LCD or SAMOLED+...and certainly without any of the dubious color representation concerns of SAMOLED. Oh, and with 3D, too, for whatever that's worth.

In regard to color accuracy/representation, also recall that all modern (and older) movies are shot for and made to play on cinema screens, and your DVDs and Blu-rays are produced to display properly only on LCD screens (like your HDTV, computer monitor, portable DVD player, etc). I find the screen of a Galaxy S, for instance, with its ridiculous (but necessary to prolong screen life) blue tint and oversaturated screen, combined with its flimsy design and junky GPS (as well as horrible default filesystem, etc), gives off a kiddy-grade fisher-price toy-like feel akin to some cheap gimmick of a level that by comparison makes even the corniest "3D" tricks seem utterly revolutionary.

No, we don't know if there will be any sickly tint issues or placebo sensationalized "CRISPER NATURALER MORE REALIFFIC" nonsense born of Samsung-generated hype for its own pet technology, but even if it's a perfectly untinted and properly saturated screen (while retaining the excellent contrast ratio), there's still no arguing that ~45% more real resolution in 16:9 videos (or 35% more in web browsing and other "full screen" activities) is the only subjective fact to go on here, coupled with the fact that cinema produces (and meticulously fine-tunes, color-adjusts, balances, and filters) its content for the brightness, contrast ratio, and color representation of good LCD displays.

45% more resolution in your movies with the guarantee that they'll look as the studio intended is damnable reason not to blatantly regurgitate the party line that "OMG AMOLED >>>>> LCD BOOO LOOK AT THE YOUTUBE VIDS" (which by the way is patent BS -- don't forget you're viewing the video itself on a single screen of existing technology!), pay attention to the facts.

Each screen has its merits. Each screen has its strengths. It is not only misinformed but bigoted, unscientific, and patently ridiculous to claim SAMOLED is "better" than SLCD. They are "different" -- or qHD SLCD, statistically speaking, is better for the reasons I described. Somebody aught to sticky a real comparison before the uninformed or placebo-delusional start to sway the opinion of others in a classic case of the "blind" (pun intended) leading the blind.

Someone give this man a cookie.

And ban me for this huge inline quote..

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
Oh please....

After this last fiasco with the NS4G I think its safe to say anything Sammy is not worth waiting for.

HTC>Samsung

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Surprise surprise, the gs2 is having data connection issues. Ill take a slightly thicker phone with a higher resolution screen and 3d over a phone that doesn't work.

Tapa tapa tapa

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
I'm sure the kinks will be worked out by the time a US version is released. The EVO had plenty of issues at launch.

I have a launch day EVO and even though I have the cracked power button and subtle light leakage, I can count on my phone to work when I need to make a phone call, use GPS, or browse the web. I can't say the same for the Moment, Epic, NS4G, and apparently now the GS2... based on their history, I wouldn't be so sure that "the kinks will be worked out." But, if they are, I may have to take one for a spin upon release.

LoveisPeace2012

Jun 18, 2010
GS2 is the best( right now), but just buy whatever device you want quit worrying about other peoples purchases

The android kings never keep their throne very long

bagelicious

Sep 27, 2010
I'm sure the kinks will be worked out by the time a US version is released. The EVO had plenty of issues at launch.

Don't count on Samsung to get any kinks worked out. I bought an Epic last year on launch day and it had all sorts of bugs. Well after 6+ months of waiting for Froyo it still doesn't work right. My GPS isn't reliable (I had to reboot it 3x the other day to get it to connect to a satellite) and my wifi dies intermittently requiring asinine workarounds that really only work half the time anyway. As soon as I'm eligible to upgrade on 8/1 this Evo 3D is going to replace my Samsung piece of crap. All you can expect from Samsung is broken hardware with crappy TouchWiz.

vWvSTATICvWv

Jun 15, 2010
NYC
Yeah, there was a dilemma at first but they confirmed our DHD's come with s-lcd.

about the release date from what Ive heard, the sgs2 is coming out for verizon, tmobile and sprint around june, and evo 3d is also supposedly coming out in june but I think it might be sooner since theres and htc event for the 12th or 14th and pre orders might start soon but im not sure if its for the htc pyramid or evo3d. So who knows maybe itll be out sooner

Verizon? That means locked!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think it depends on which SG2 is available to you, will it be the Tegra 2 or Samsung Orion. The Tegra 2 is very underwhelming, but the Orion is impressive.

If it's the Tegra 2 SG2 (I think Europe is still getting these) get the Evo 3D instead. If you can nab the Orion SG2, get that one.

And the lack of Sense argument is invalid, since the SG2 will have Touchwiz, which Sense phones lack. Some people like Sense, some people hate it. Some people like Touchwiz, some people hate it. Having one or the other isn't really a drawback/benefit.

Personally, I would go with the SG2 (I dislike Sense a little bit more than Touchwiz), assuming Samsung doesn't use a ****ty file system again like the first series.

And really, the whole HTC vs. Samsung arguments are getting real old, real fast. We get it, Touchwiz and the plastic is not your cup of tea. However, some people love it. I love the feel of the Nexus S MUCH more than the feel of the Nexus One, but I like the feel of the DHD more than the feel of the.. Captivate. Preference. Saying "Samsux" is just childish.

Perhaps the only thing I hate about Android is that the community is split between HTC, Samsung or Motorola. There is no middle ground, just like iPhone vs. Android. It's one or the other and people will incessantly argue which is better. It's all preference guys, there is no need to impose your preferences on others so harshly, especially when we are all apart of the same community.

Edit: I also prefer SAMOLED to SLCD, so I am assuming I will love the SAMOLED+ more than the SLCD 3D of the Evo 3D, but I could be wrong.
    HTC vs Samdung vs Women

Seriously? I love the feel of a woman far more than any of these devices!!! They also cum with SENSE and a good "feel". And of course, women are also fully 3D and cum with Gorilla a.r.s.e...I mean glass. Women also accept an Android inside. And you can't beat the memory capacity of a woman!!! Just try it.

They also have dual retina displays. And they have other display modes that are unique and seriously just cannot be beaten by any device...ever. Their connectivity is just mouth-watering and unbelievably sense-ational!!! They also accept dongles inside.

Women also have an automated voice response system that is unparalleled. Volume control is obsolete. The weight and thickness varies depending on personal tastes. Personally I prefer them to be on the leaner and more top heavy side. They have a few g-spots..errr....g-sensors or three! They also have fricking built-in GPS.
    Although not pocketable, they will follow you everywhere anyway.

Their form factor varies a lot, so you have to pick the right form factor for complete satisfaction. Women also have many applications, but only two or three are really important and essential. Further applications may be downloaded if required.

So if in doubt, just pick a woman over HTC or Samdung for a lot more satisfaction!!
    They also have a unique built-in system called emotional response activation protocol or ERAP.
    Finally, women are fully accessorisable. The choices are endless.

See attachment for comparison table
    That's where rooting your phone comes in handy ;)

Rooting won't solve the ****ty plastic problem

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    saw this post in the sgsII forum had to share lol
    I read about all the features of the phone, it all got me very excited but some things are not working...

First of all, it doesn't bring me beer when I use vlingo and say " get me beer"

Second of all, Crysis 2 is not running at all. Phone's not that fast..

Last point: I put my phone into airplane mode, threw it in the air.....
    Worst transformer ever..... :(

The rest is working pretty damn fine, so its maybe not a total failure. What are you disappointed about?
    Verizon? That means locked!

Haven't we learned our lesson? The carriers have nothing to do with locking phones.