Do you still use WM? If so why?

Search This thread

solidkevin

Mar 15, 2010
Just a friendly discussion, so my question is why do yous till use WM if you do, with Android, WP7 and IOS out their, why stick with WM?

poyensa

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2010
mi patria en mis zapatos
cause i enjoy every minute i use my HD2 with WM-CHT2.0 :)

for my WP7 is an incognita, can anybody please provide a link for WP7 secreenshots?

Android is fine, my kids love playing angrybirds all time! but WM is for me, its adult games ... :D

Reactions: paranoid365

wapvirus

Jan 24, 2008
London
Reason 1 WM integrates flawlessly with my windows PC ,office ect..
Reason 2 WM has TOMTOM Satnav and it works flawlessly with my WM device just load the software and your ready to go .
The reasons could go on and on but i gave you my most important two ;)

Unlike my daughter just purchased a iPhone 3gs loaded on TomTom and found out to my disgust that you need the car GPS Dock to make it work as integrated GPS don't work with the app :mad: (Don't get me started on iphone sh*t)

solidkevin

Mar 15, 2010
How is android fo kids??? And I can see how wp7 isnt fully matured yet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Reactions: SahilC

raving_nanza

Jul 23, 2009
i dont just judge an OS on looks, i judge it on many of things, 1 of which being functionality..

i wasnt really impressed with android, simple as :cool:

solidkevin

Mar 15, 2010
i dont just judge an OS on looks, i judge it on many of things, 1 of which being functionality..

i wasnt really impressed with android, simple as :cool:

Oh ok cause you said look at it, I thought you meant looks, imo android does anything and everything but it has its flaws, iphone is nice and simple but a little too restrictive. And wp7 is hands down the best UI around imo, simple, clean and elegant, missing funtionality and support though at this stage. As for WM I think its a fine OS but too slow for my tastes and it seems like it never matured into full touch UI. Symbian is real functional but so damn slow and ugly UI.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

CRACING

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 10, 2008
125 Miles From Sea
In my experiences. I love WM then another other OS and will keep in first place of my favorite list ever. :)

WM functions are very similar to Windows OS. You can do what ever you want, as a developer or as a user. If you are from Windows PC, then you won't be liking android, iOS or even WP7.

Android has good graphics and speed but it feels like a beta software. Cannot trust it. :eek:

WP7 is very simple and basic but Still lacks lots of things. I didn't expected MS will do such a bad thing. Better if they stood in WM interface itself.

iOS, I have no comments about it as I haven't used much.

To say in one line, android, WP7, iOS and etc (except WM of course) developers are trying to keep users in there custody!

This never happened in WM, users of it were very free to use, as if they made there own OS.

WM has something that you cannot express but feels in heart when using. Android is my second option though.

Thanks...
Best Regards

As for WM I think its a fine OS but too slow for my tastes and it seems like it never matured into full touch UI. Symbian is real functional but so damn slow and ugly UI.

Because its a Win CE core which operates from 1x1 pixel tap (i.e stylus). Its same as a cursor present in PC. Later on, MS and HTC tried to make it better Touch Sensitive. Though it wasn't very successful because the core and kernel didn't match the latest hardware. If you know about VM in WM, you probably also knowing it doesn't have much space. Even though the physical memory (RAM) has enough space, multiple apps load slow and its because VM is lacking space. Thats the major fall in WM. :(

Last edited:

nietzscheli

Nov 12, 2009
you can setup what if you want on your Wm.but i have never used Anroid operation system.
in my opinion best reason is wm useful for you(office,gps,internet..)

stephj

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 2, 2007
Lancashire
I learnt the Win32 programming model so that I could use the original Embedded Tools 3.0 to create native C++ ARM Windows Mobile 2002 programs.

It was a long hard slog, involving studying the shell "Hello World" program as created by the project wizard, and then trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Embedded C++ 4.0 came along later for WM2003. The accumulated skills could then be used later in Visual Studio, for creating Win32 PC programs, and being able to port applications from one platform to the other, in either direction!

Microsoft have made a total mess of the transfer to Phone 7, with the complete change of programming model, being one of the most crass moves they have ever pulled. Phone 7 was too little, far too late which allowed the opposition to run away with the advantage. Microsoft will never get that back.

Windows CE and Windows Mobile are still good solid operating systems, tried and tested, even if they are a little long in the tooth. Win32 programming may be considered very old hat these days, but the programs run like a bat out of hell.

Android is also pretty stable, being based on a Linux core, and it's improving, but to learn Android development means starting from scratch, almost from the "Hello World" example above. Do I really want to start all over again? Maybe, mañana........ Fortunately, there is not much difference between C# and Java code, so the transition may not be that painful.

Update: Currently studying some of the stuff in the Android SDK........ At the "What the hell does this do?" stage again.

Windows Mobile lives on as Windows Embedded Handheld, but this is now primarily for line of business devices.

Have look at the current WinMo devices sold by Expansys here in the UK

Update: WinMo 6.x has been dropped as a separate category, you have to specifically search for Windows Mobile. There is the HD2/HD2 Mini and some rather expensive near indestructible rubber armoured devices.

How long before HTC drops the HD2?

Last edited:
Reactions: Senax and novi81

altae

Mar 22, 2008
St. Gallen
I like WM because of it's flexibility, the fact that it's an open platform with lots of freeware and it's ability to function without a Google, Itunes or whatever account. You buy it, charge the battery, put in a sim card and there you go. No activation no nothing. That's simply the way it should be. Oh and by the way: Call me crazy but I actually like the UI of WM. It always offers multiple ways to do something. And lots of possibilities to customize your device of course.

da9th_one

Oct 10, 2006
i recently traded in my touch pro2 for the sensation...i didn't give up on wm, but microsoft did...i loved that platform...so versatile yet so misunderstood... :(

this android platform ain't too shabby tho...it's not wm but not too shabby indeed...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow. All this WinMo love is making me tear up! ;) I'm still a WinMo fanboy, mostly because at the end of the day, I get more done with it. I'm still a file-based guy, and I feel like no one else sees how the newer mobile OSes are really a step backwards in terms of computing. Back in 70's and 80's, when computers weighed 40 lbs and were powered by coal, we ran a program, and worked with our files inside of that program. Then, as graphical user interfaces became popular, computing shifted to where we worked on our files, and the OS figured out what program was needed to manipulate those files.

Then iOS shows up, and "apps" took us right back to 1979: you want to open a note, an ebook, or a spreadsheet? Find whatever "app" created/owns it, open the app, and the app will access the file, maipulate it, and even handle moving it off the device, because the sandbox won't let any other app access it. Sheesh! It's like owning a VIC-20 all over again!

WinMo is certainly flawed in many, many ways, but it still stands as the best implementation of a PC-like experience on a handheld device. It's totally autonomous- no outside computer is needed to "kickstart" it, no cloud server needed to "activate" it- you take it out of the box, and it just works, like any PC would.

Android is the closest modern OS to the WinMo ideal of autonomous computing, but it has awkward file management (which is still better than the non-existent file management of iOS and WP7!)

In my household, we have iOs devices, Androids, WP7s and WinMos, and I still use the WinMos 95% of the time (mostly my HD2, but occasionally my Treo Pro and Sony X1, all in sync via Dropbox.) I love the WP7 UI, but the OS is far too walled in and dependent on MS services (take away Skydrive and Bing and the thing is a dumbphone with a big screen.)
    After reading some of these posts I can't help but notice that Windows Mobile is like that sweet, homey girlfriend you always go back to. Yeah, the hot blonde (iOS) was fun but that was it. The flaming red-head (Android) was a scream but was too high maintenance. The homey brunette (WM) could carry a conversation, cook, clean and nurse a hangover. When you came back to her, she was so appreciative that she would give the ride of your life.

I'm sure we've all been there before fellas so let's not all act as if I'm crazy. :D
    I like WM because of it's flexibility, the fact that it's an open platform with lots of freeware and it's ability to function without a Google, Itunes or whatever account. You buy it, charge the battery, put in a sim card and there you go. No activation no nothing. That's simply the way it should be. Oh and by the way: Call me crazy but I actually like the UI of WM. It always offers multiple ways to do something. And lots of possibilities to customize your device of course.
    ....my simple answer, WM is a "PC" in your pocket, while Android and WM7 are smartphones... That's why WM is called PPC...:)
    I had never really thought about it until recently that I went to a data-limited plan. WinMo doesn't use nearly as much data as Android, iOS or webOS (the worst). Every mobile OS these days is constantly running background progs that use data. WinMo is on-demand except for Exchange email.