AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II Won't Boot Into Recovery

Search This thread

Assassyn

Mar 5, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Ok so over the last couple of days I tried getting a little too flash happy and thought I completely ruined my device. I could get into download mode, but not into recovery. I've tried flashing the files in Odin listed here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2584533 and usually that works. This time it didn't and at first I didn't get too bothered/noided because I thought I may have done something wrong. Fast forward to now and I was able to get recovery back on my phone and reinstall CleanROM Ace 5.0 which is a personal fave of mine. I got it to work using the instructions and files found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2573576 and I used a very old version of Odin to do this. The one I used was Odin3 v1.85 but I also have v3.07 and 3.09.

Now I will walk you through what I did that caused this dilemma, aka doing the absolute most :silly:

It started out as me wanting to test out 2 different ROMS (eZKAT Beta found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2747733 and Ditto Note 3 found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541860). My smart @$$ :rolleyes: (sarcasm of course) didn't do a full wipe internally when flashing between the two. Reason being, I honestly just started doing that and never ran into an issue until now because of not doing it. I recently got an S5 and my 32gb sd card is in that phone and I found an 8gb sd card in an old G1 I had. So because I had ROM files and TitaniumBackup files on the sd card, I was using internal storage to house the two test ROM's. Bad idea I now know. I'm so thankful my Note II is now just a backup along with my iPhone 4S but still, it's nice to be able to experiment with a test android phone and know your primary is fully functional. Plus, all the apps I bought and things I got used to using that are strictly for rooted devices...anyway back on topic.

I flashed eZKAT and got that fully booted, even installed xposed framework and wanam both worked. That ROM is not on hold but development is currently. I'm fine with that, what was put out for us to use does work. eZdubzitmk4 does great work, and has responded to PM's from me seeking assistance in the past. So since I'm somewhat familiar with his work, I didn't think twice about trying it out. My curiosity kicked in and I thought ok, let's try a different Note 3 ROM because I've successfully flashed and used Sky Note Air (both editions) in the past and seanzscreams is another developer who does great work. I'm not saying nor implying no one else does, I'm just shouting out two developers.

Something went wrong between me switching from eZKAT to Ditto Note 3 and the only thing I can recall not doing that likely enhanced my issue was not wiping internally. I tried to flash CWM and Philz Recovery as suggested here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541860&page=429 and I thought that would fix the issue. What actually happened was after flashing in Odin, the phone would attempt to boot into recovery and all I'd see was a navigation bar at the bottom with 4 arrows but no text and the screen would immediately fade to black and reboot. I could not get into recovery at all. I saw the Samsung Galaxy Note II splash screen repeatedly. I left it off the charger all day, and it repeated that same process the entire time. I tried using KIES and KIES3 but neither worked. I almost got something to work in KIES3 but right before the end, it failed and my phone said unsupported version in red text. I did a few Google searches at work which did help point me in the right direction.

I tried flashing stuff in the PDA slot as well as the Bootloader slot, but it didn't matter everything was the same result. My thought process was try it and see, all that can go wrong is it not boot into download mode :confused:. I prayed on it last night then did another Google search tonight when I got home from work, after attempting all that stuff again. This time I did a search for note 2 will not boot into recovery and I found this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2573576. TWRP was successfully flashed and I was able to flash CleanROM Ace 5.0 again now I'm happy :D...but also EXTREMELY hesitant to flash anything else at this point. I'm just glad I no longer have a $371 paper weight ($321 for the phone and $50 for the AT&T flap cover case with attached back). I did state that if and when I fixed my phone I would create a thread about what I did and what worked for me. Hopefully this can be of use to someone else, because I know I'm not the only who has faced this issue. I also was all over Google with generic searches because all I knew was what was happening, not the technical/official name for what it was if that makes sense :eek:.

Here's a video showing what I'm describing.

Last edited:
Reactions: eZdubzitmk4

eZdubzitmk4

Sep 1, 2011
RI
I always use cwm. Just been more stable for me.

Not exactly sure what happened here tho.. Never seen that before.

I'm glad you're up and running again. I honestly would just wait for the dn3 update to flash a kit kat rom

Sent from my NoteII

Assassyn

Mar 5, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I prefer CWM myself as well. I've been using it since my HTC Inspire 4G. After I got my Note II to boot and flashed CleanROM, I transferred a backup I had made in the past onto my sd card. I read before that there's an issue with TWRP and/or Philz Touch when trying to restore a CWM backup. To avoid further issues, I installed CWM from the play store, reflashed CWM Touch. Then I deleted the text from the md5 file in root explorer text editor, rebooted into recovery cleared everything then restored the backup. No issues since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

eZdubzitmk4

Sep 1, 2011
RI
I added a video to the thread so people can see what I'm describing.

Happened to me before. Since I didn't have a rom installed I couldn't boot to android so I had to use Odin..Flash twrp. Let it boot into recovery. Then pull battery and go back into download mode and use odin again to flash cwm then cwm worked fine and didn't just restart.

Since you can boot into android you can actually just download Recovery Tools from playstore to install twrp then cwm. I recommend the odin way tho

Sent from my NoteII

Reactions: Assassyn

Assassyn

Mar 5, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
one was new...I tried 2 others. Took to sprint and they are replacing the phone. This will be my 3rd note 4.

Wow, sorry you've had such trouble. Have you had any issues since your replacement? I recently shattered the screen on my S5 trying an at home wifi/bluetooth fix that actually did work but I pressed too hard on the device so my Note II is now my primary again. Holding off for a Note 5 unless I can get a 128 gb micro sd card, then I'll get a Note 4.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm glad you're up and running again. I honestly would just wait for the dn3 update to flash a kit kat rom

Sent from my NoteII
    Ok so over the last couple of days I tried getting a little too flash happy and thought I completely ruined my device. I could get into download mode, but not into recovery. I've tried flashing the files in Odin listed here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2584533 and usually that works. This time it didn't and at first I didn't get too bothered/noided because I thought I may have done something wrong. Fast forward to now and I was able to get recovery back on my phone and reinstall CleanROM Ace 5.0 which is a personal fave of mine. I got it to work using the instructions and files found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2573576 and I used a very old version of Odin to do this. The one I used was Odin3 v1.85 but I also have v3.07 and 3.09.

Now I will walk you through what I did that caused this dilemma, aka doing the absolute most :silly:

It started out as me wanting to test out 2 different ROMS (eZKAT Beta found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2747733 and Ditto Note 3 found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541860). My smart @$$ :rolleyes: (sarcasm of course) didn't do a full wipe internally when flashing between the two. Reason being, I honestly just started doing that and never ran into an issue until now because of not doing it. I recently got an S5 and my 32gb sd card is in that phone and I found an 8gb sd card in an old G1 I had. So because I had ROM files and TitaniumBackup files on the sd card, I was using internal storage to house the two test ROM's. Bad idea I now know. I'm so thankful my Note II is now just a backup along with my iPhone 4S but still, it's nice to be able to experiment with a test android phone and know your primary is fully functional. Plus, all the apps I bought and things I got used to using that are strictly for rooted devices...anyway back on topic.

I flashed eZKAT and got that fully booted, even installed xposed framework and wanam both worked. That ROM is not on hold but development is currently. I'm fine with that, what was put out for us to use does work. eZdubzitmk4 does great work, and has responded to PM's from me seeking assistance in the past. So since I'm somewhat familiar with his work, I didn't think twice about trying it out. My curiosity kicked in and I thought ok, let's try a different Note 3 ROM because I've successfully flashed and used Sky Note Air (both editions) in the past and seanzscreams is another developer who does great work. I'm not saying nor implying no one else does, I'm just shouting out two developers.

Something went wrong between me switching from eZKAT to Ditto Note 3 and the only thing I can recall not doing that likely enhanced my issue was not wiping internally. I tried to flash CWM and Philz Recovery as suggested here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541860&page=429 and I thought that would fix the issue. What actually happened was after flashing in Odin, the phone would attempt to boot into recovery and all I'd see was a navigation bar at the bottom with 4 arrows but no text and the screen would immediately fade to black and reboot. I could not get into recovery at all. I saw the Samsung Galaxy Note II splash screen repeatedly. I left it off the charger all day, and it repeated that same process the entire time. I tried using KIES and KIES3 but neither worked. I almost got something to work in KIES3 but right before the end, it failed and my phone said unsupported version in red text. I did a few Google searches at work which did help point me in the right direction.

I tried flashing stuff in the PDA slot as well as the Bootloader slot, but it didn't matter everything was the same result. My thought process was try it and see, all that can go wrong is it not boot into download mode :confused:. I prayed on it last night then did another Google search tonight when I got home from work, after attempting all that stuff again. This time I did a search for note 2 will not boot into recovery and I found this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2573576. TWRP was successfully flashed and I was able to flash CleanROM Ace 5.0 again now I'm happy :D...but also EXTREMELY hesitant to flash anything else at this point. I'm just glad I no longer have a $371 paper weight ($321 for the phone and $50 for the AT&T flap cover case with attached back). I did state that if and when I fixed my phone I would create a thread about what I did and what worked for me. Hopefully this can be of use to someone else, because I know I'm not the only who has faced this issue. I also was all over Google with generic searches because all I knew was what was happening, not the technical/official name for what it was if that makes sense :eek:.

Here's a video showing what I'm describing.

Sent from my NoteII

Happened to me before. Since I didn't have a rom installed I couldn't boot to android so I had to use Odin..Flash twrp. Let it boot into recovery. Then pull battery and go back into download mode and use odin again to flash cwm then cwm worked fine and didn't just restart.

Since you can boot into android you can actually just download Recovery Tools from playstore to install twrp then cwm. I recommend the odin way tho

Sent from my NoteII